Strive:ON Sizing

damnfinecoffee

Aug 14, 2024
UK
Hi all,

Long time MTB rider, completely new to EMTB here.

After weeks of deliberating, I think* I've finally settled on the Strive:ON.
I'm really just looking for a go anywhere/do anything EMTB so it was between the Neuron and Strive, the extra travel and, to be perfectly honest, the current price of the Strive:ON CFR Underdog (sub £4k) has swung it for me.

My question is re sizing, I'm 171cm/82cm and with the Neuron the size chart has me well within the 'Small', but with the Strive I appear to be right on the edge of a medium. Do the Canyons run a little larger? The small is currently sold out, but I'm reluctant to go for the medium without being familiar with their sizing.

Any advice here would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I've recently bought a Torque:ON and from Canyon's sizes I'm between the middle & top of medium - so I bought a Large 🤭

its perfect, if I'd bought a medium it would have been good but the slightly larger frame allows room to move as opposed to feeling 'stuck' in one position (something I felt on my Medium sized Trek Rail:cry: oddly enough the rail was bought on recomended size)

Rich.

damnfinecoffee

Aug 14, 2024
UK
I've recently bought a Torque:ON and from Canyon's sizes I'm between the middle & top of medium - so I bought a Large 🤭

its perfect, if I'd bought a medium it would have been good but the slightly larger frame allows room to move as opposed to feeling 'stuck' in one position (something I felt on my Medium sized Trek Rail:cry: oddly enough the rail was bought on recomended size)

Rich.
Thanks Rich.

Are you actually within the overlap on their size chart, where it recommends both medium and large? or are you still just within the medium only area?

I’m a hair under where it would recommend both small and medium, but still within the small only recommendation.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
Thanks Rich.

Are you actually within the overlap on their size chart, where it recommends both medium and large? or are you still just within the medium only area?

I’m a hair under where it would recommend both small and medium, but still within the small only recommendation.

I was just in the medium bit, go big or go home? 🤭

on a serious note, have you looked at the frame dimensions? always worth comparing with your current bike & how that feels...

ok, angles may differ but it'll give you an idea(y)

also, I was very tempted by the Underdog, its discounted price is very tempting (was either that or the Torque and there were discounts......) and it allows modification without removing expensive components:p

Rich.

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Many moons ago I plugged my details into the canyon calculator and bought a medium hardtail based on their recommendations. When it arrived it really was too small and I ended up bending the stock seat post. By playing with the calc and adding a few mm here and there it put me on a large. 🫣

As said above, ignore the recommendations and compare to what you ride now and go from there.

damnfinecoffee

Aug 14, 2024
UK
Thanks guys, I will get the measurements from my current setup and compare to canyon's small and medium.

It's interesting you both seem to have had the opposite issue to others, after looking around the general consensus elsewhere seems to be that they are sized big and a lot of people have gone for a size smaller (this is what worries me as I'm right on the edge..). But I guess the sizing could have changed over time, a lot of those posts are old, and I appreciate it also depends on your riding style/personal preference.

My issue now is I've just found a Cube Hybrid One55 C68X TM for £5k! Same travel vs the underdog (although Factory fork and shock), Shimano XT, a little lighter.. not sure that's worth the extra £1k though.
Any thoughts on this vs the Strive?

Myygi

Apr 9, 2024
Finland
I was also between sizes S and M, im 174cm and 80cm inseam and went to medium because small was out of stock. I have been really happy, bike rides stable and nicely. I think if you want more playfull bike get Small but if you want maybe bit more stable bike get Medium. Cube seems nice too!

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
The Strive:ON has particularly long reach, and in various group tests journalists said they went for a Medium whereas with other bikes they went for Large. I think this is unique to the Strive:ON rather than Canyon generally. In the test by Loam Wolf, two of the testers at 6' 2" reckoned the Medium test bike was the right size for them (though I suspect Canyon's calculator would have suggested Large, maybe even XL).

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi, I think differently, this bike have modern geometry and need to change riding style, nothing of traumatic, in 2 or 3 rides you can understand It and after you don't want to return back,
if you are conservative or afraid of change, do not buy this bike in a smaller size because you lose its potential, then you should not only look at the reach because the more vertical seat angle makes you ride further forward

Dec 4, 2022
Wales
Hi all,

Long time MTB rider, completely new to EMTB here.

After weeks of deliberating, I think* I've finally settled on the Strive:ON.
I'm really just looking for a go anywhere/do anything EMTB so it was between the Neuron and Strive, the extra travel and, to be perfectly honest, the current price of the Strive:ON CFR Underdog (sub £4k) has swung it for me.

My question is re sizing, I'm 171cm/82cm and with the Neuron the size chart has me well within the 'Small', but with the Strive I appear to be right on the edge of a medium. Do the Canyons run a little larger? The small is currently sold out, but I'm reluctant to go for the medium without being familiar with their sizing.

Any advice here would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Just seen your post. I have the Strive here in small and I'm a similar height.
I'd say it is larger than the Giant Trance I also have in small and is a far better fit for me than the Giant.
Seems to be a common problem for us shorter riders. I'm always torn between small and medium.
If you are anywhere near Bristol South east Wales you're welcome to try mine for size.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles