Strive:ON problems

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
So I wouldn't open a new thread, let me ask here. I have a chance to buy Strive:ON for ok price, in a ok condition. Is it fine as a first ebike, or should I aim for some other model/manufacturer?
My first ebike and I have an enduro which I ride hard and have raced. I feel fine as many bikes have an Achilles heel of some sort. Never is everything perfect and everyone perfectly happy. So go for it! I did 😁

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
I don’t think it’s going to be the new one, I have been told in the beginning of 2024 for “the fix” 🤷‍♂️
this is what i recieved, only the cover, not the latch itself:

1699439373784.png

My expirience with Canyon service Belgium has been exellent up to now. I assume that above shipping went wrong in Germany, where it was shipped from. Anyway quit annoying. luckely my temp solution still works.

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain

View attachment 128473

My expirience with Canyon service Belgium has been exellent up to now. I assume that above shipping went wrong in Germany, where it was shipped from. Anyway quit annoying. luckely my temp solution still works.
Glad your service support works properly, I've sent a service request almost 2 weeks ago, still nothing back from canyon, I did get a feedback request survey email for such service ticket, of course I've valued as 0 stars....I'm never buying a canyon again

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal

View attachment 128473

Jonas, the cover won't do anything. Canyon messed up on the delivery...

PS: the package, should contain:
1 Latch + 2 Torkx bolts
1 Cover + 2 Torkx bolts

Use all solutions you can, otherwise, bike will be stopped due to this latch design flop!

Last edited:

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Jonas, the cover won't do anything.

Use all solutions you can, otherwise, bike will be stopped due to this latch design flop!
I'm sorry i was not clear. i'm aware that what I received is not what i need. this cover is the only part i did not need to replace . What i wanted to say is that i don't think the error of this wrong shipping is caused by Belgian service center but at Canyon shipping/warehouse at gemany.

FYI, to fix it temporary, I did these updates:
  1. add plastic under the pastic latch (repair the issue if broken lips)
  2. add a thin plastic part under the metal hook (avoiding play, in general)
1697447247844.png

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I'm sorry i was not clear. i'm aware that what I received is not what i need. this cover is the only part i did not need to replace . What i wanted to say is that i don't think the error of this wrong shipping is caused by Belgian service center but at Canyon shipping/warehouse at gemany.

FYI, to fix it temporary, I did these updates:
  1. add plastic under the pastic latch (repair the issue if broken lips)
  2. add a thin plastic part under the metal hook (avoiding play, in general)
1697447247844.png
That will take play, but will force all the time.

The mod you should be using is the ZIPmod.

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
As mention before, canyon Belgium service is great, they already replied.
this is the reply (translated with google)
We are still working on a definitive solution, but because Bosch cannot offer a definitive solution in the short term, our own Canyon engineers have also started developing an adjustment. But this will also take some time.
That is why we will send you a new part with a temporary solution, which according to our initial tests is very reliable. This part will be shipped via UPS,

So I'm still happy with the service of Belgian service team.
to be honnest, i'm so happy with the Stive:ON , i would still buy it , regardless of the issue. I really love how it rides.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
As mention before, canyon Belgium service is great, they already replied.
this is the reply (translated with google)
We are still working on a definitive solution, but because Bosch cannot offer a definitive solution in the short term, our own Canyon engineers have also started developing an adjustment. But this will also take some time.
That is why we will send you a new part with a temporary solution, which according to our initial tests is very reliable. This part will be shipped via UPS,

So I'm still happy with the service of Belgian service team.
to be honnest, i'm so happy with the Stive:ON , i would still buy it , regardless of the issue. I really love how it rides.

Jonas, IF, Canyon would have develop THE SOLUTION, Canyon would contact ALL CUSTOMERS.

Stay well

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
And they will ones they have it, I assume.
it seems fair to send the temporary solution only to the customers with issues, for the time beeing.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
And they will ones they have it, I assume.
it seems fair to send the temporary solution only to the customers with issues, for the time beeing.
Jonas... what temporary solution? They're replacing broken parts with the same pn (part number).

Get your head out of the sand, please.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I fitted the 'fix' that Tobias over on the EMTB Facebook page has developed. Very easy fix and I can see what the additional 3D printed part offers. Fingers crossed it offers enough of a fix (as well as the Zip ties) until the official Canyon and Bosch remedy is released.

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
I have also installed the Tobias latch plate but I'm not using zip ties or any other method of securing the battery.

Hopefully it will last until the mysterious Canyon solution is revealed.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I have also installed the Tobias latch plate but I'm not using zip ties or any other method of securing the battery.

Hopefully it will last until the mysterious Canyon solution is revealed.
I’ve also gone the non zip tie route and hope it’s sufficient with Tobias’s fix.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I fitted the 'fix' that Tobias over on the EMTB Facebook page has developed. Very easy fix and I can see what the additional 3D printed part offers. Fingers crossed it offers enough of a fix (as well as the Zip ties) until the official Canyon and Bosch remedy is released.
Out of interest, do you have any pics and what does the "fix" appear to achieve? Does it just better spread the weight of the battery across the latch or something?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi guys. I took delivery of my StriveOn this week and have been slowly preparing it ready for the trails.

I also fitted Tobias’ latch fix. The latch still seems fairly easy to be opened, i.e. the slightest touch on the nylon cord opens the latch completely. Is this normal ?

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
Hi guys. I took delivery of my StriveOn this week and have been slowly preparing it ready for the trails.

I also fitted Tobias’ latch fix. The latch still seems fairly easy to be opened, i.e. the slightest touch on the nylon cord opens the latch completely. Is this normal ?
Try it without the fix…

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
Mine seems to be wedged fairly tightly with the Tobias fix but it doesn't make the same click as before when closing the latch.

Have you checked the battery socket in the down tube at the opposite end?

Mine was quite loose so I removed all the bolts, loc-tited and reinstalled, it's been fine since.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The battery is solid, no movement, and when the latch is closed it’s solid too. It’s just when you pull the nylon cord the latch opens surprisingly easy, literally the slightest pull on the cord opens the latch fully.

When the skid plate is attached it all feels fine, so I’m probably concerned over nothing. A previous Bosch motored bike I had the battery locked into place with a solid firm click and it was actually quite difficult to then remove again. This one seems the opposite end of the scale, surprisingly easy to remove

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Mine seems to be wedged fairly tightly with the Tobias fix but it doesn't make the same click as before when closing the latch.

Have you checked the battery socket in the down tube at the opposite end?

Mine was quite loose so I removed all the bolts, loc-tited and reinstalled, it's been fine since.
Wow how would you even access that? You’d need a tool there what 60-80cm long?? Or am I missing something obvious like another access point?

el.guillyt

Jul 26, 2023
Spain
Wow how would you even access that? You’d need a tool there what 60-80cm long?? Or am I missing something obvious like another access point?
Don't worry, just remove the bracket where the battery latches, and your arm can fit inside de downtube, I've got fairly big arms/hands and no problem, you just need to undo the 2 bolts from the outside and it will come out of the downtoube, just remember to remove the cover for the cables channel, because the cable comes back down to the motor

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Could you remove the screws one sta time and loctite them, so save the connector detaching completely?

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
There are two more bolts inside the connector that may need loctite and tightening.
The connector / socket is easy to remove and inspect.
The cable covers slide out out freely but be careful not to bend them as they're very thin.
When reinstalling the connector and replacing the cable covers just be careful not to trap or knick any of the cables.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
There are two more bolts inside the connector that may need loctite and tightening.
The connector / socket is easy to remove and inspect.
The cable covers slide out out freely but be careful not to bend them as they're very thin.
When reinstalling the connector and replacing the cable covers just be careful not to trap or knick any of the cables.
I already have noisy cables - made a thread about it on here with a video but didn't get any answers. Do yours also make a noise when you turn the handlebars? Mine move around in the downtube and make a noise. A bike.mechanic noticed it when I took my bike in to have a piece of PPF fitted.

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
I already have noisy cables - made a thread about it on here with a video but didn't get any answers. Do yours also make a noise when you turn the handlebars? Mine move around in the downtube and make a noise. A bike.mechanic noticed it when I took my bike in to have a piece of PPF fitted.

Mine don't make that noise.

Isn't that just the braided cable sheathing catching on the cable tray lid?

Have you tried sliding the lid back a bit to see if that makes a difference?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Mine don't make that noise.

Isn't that just the braided cable sheathing catching on the cable tray lid?

Have you tried sliding the lid back a bit to see if that makes a difference?
It seems to be the cables moving side to side in the downtube as the bars are turned. And yes, I think it's that weird sheathing making the noise. Not really sure what to do about it.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
If you go back to post #140 @eddie89 explains how to do it.

It's easy enough to do and worth trying.
Yikes I did go back and look at it and I'm concerned I'd screw something up or trash a cable so might not do this right now.
Can you see if the bolts are loose without removing everything first?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles