Reign E+ 2022

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I connected my wahoo. It works, kindoff…

swapping mode will drops all 3 fields and they randomly drop anyway. Can take up to a minut to get data in a field. I don’t know how ant+ works but it’s extremely slow.
D1EE386D-B04C-499C-8F3E-8E3CA2CF5ABC.jpeg
47572631-64D5-48F7-A02B-BCC02806C0C8.jpeg
EDIT: I haven’t updated my bike. Don’t dare to as I had read reports with bricking bikes. Maybe further forward when the app gets more updates.

Last edited:

jaylkay

I connected my wahoo. It works, kindoff…

swapping mode will drops all 3 fields and they randomly drop anyway. Can take up to a minut to get data in a field. I don’t know how ant+ works but it’s extremely slow.
View attachment 81029
View attachment 81030
EDIT: I haven’t updated my bike. Don’t dare to as I had read reports with bricking bikes. Maybe further forward when the app gets more updates.
I was trying to get a power reading on my Garmin 830 today and could only get instant power displaying and I couldn't get the mode up either? I've seen the Specialized app can show you what the motor outputs and the rider separately. Has anyone gotten their Garmin to show you power split by motor / rider or mode / battery % displayed? Garmin has the options but it doesn't display on my unit.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I was trying to get a power reading on my Garmin 830 today and could only get instant power displaying and I couldn't get the mode up either? I've seen the Specialized app can show you what the motor outputs and the rider separately. Has anyone gotten their Garmin to show you power split by motor / rider or mode / battery % displayed? Garmin has the options but it doesn't display on my unit.
Maybe something for @Rob Rides EMTB to investigate.

have you updated your bike @jaylkay ?

I’m pretty’s sure the issue is on the bike and not on our bike computers. I don’t know what ant+ transmission rate is but it’s not usable as it is now. Do you have lag on data update? Or is it fast?

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
How slow it is on my wahoo bolt.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Same spot different weather. Today it's 5°C and FULL ON mud in Munich. Shorty + High Roller combo works great. They both loose traction art the same moment so the bike is predictable. I didn't have an issue with climbing the most horrible stuff even though it was the stock High Roller (MaxxTerra).

_20220130_124211.JPG

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
I hope Rob goes through suggested sag settings in the review. Giant is very lacking in documentation. With my Ibis I got a super sweet hardcover book that went over everything, Giant on the other hand has pdf's that give general info that covers all the bikes combined.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I hope Rob goes through suggested sag settings in the review. Giant is very lacking in documentation. With my Ibis I got a super sweet hardcover book that went over everything, Giant on the other hand has pdf's that give general info that covers all the bikes combined.
Just look at RS or fox webpage? Both has setup guides. What frame it's on doesn't matter.

Reactions: jbv

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
So finally got to demo a pals E+0 for brief bit this morning. New to ebikes so nothing to compare it to. First impressions it climbs great, pointed it up something very steep and it monstered up like it was nothing. The pedal/motor flutter is still there when the bike is stationary if you put any pressure on the pedals. So I guess you just learn not to do that. Motor is nice and quiet, no rattling.

Maybe expected more from the Fox suspension but 38 felt pretty harsh to me, but then the owner might just have had set up differently.

Being new to e-bikes the transition when the motor switches off felt a bit weird, like a mini parachute is being deployed. Wouldn't describe it as a drag, but you can feel it.

Size L was perfect for me at 5 11.

Got back on my Strive and was right on his tail on a local Enduro stage, I was hoping he would be appreciably quicker than me, bit no!

I'll be doing another, longer demo next weekend, see how he feels on technical stuff. Then if good will order an E+2.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
thanks for finding that but I have those already but as I mentioned I find those generic numbers are not accurate as the bikes geometry can change things.

If anyone here wants to throw out what they have found works well (25-30% for example) up front and rear that would be appreciated. I think the 38 has 3 tokens in it?? Has anyone gone down to 2 and seen how that feels? I told them to put the second spacer in the X2 because I know I'm going to want it a little more progressive.

Last edited:

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
thanks for finding that but I have those already but as I mentioned I find those generic numbers are not accurate as the bikes geometry can change things.

If anyone here wants to throw out what they have found works well (25-30% for example) up front and rear that would be appreciated. I think the 38 has 3 tokens in it?? Has anyone gone down to 2 and seen how that feels? I told them to put the second spacer in the X2 because I know I'm going to want it a little more progressive.
You should always start at 0 token. If you get a lot of bottom outs you add 1 and test again. I have 0 tokens in my RS Lyrik as a example (standard is 1) @ 80kg w gear.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Same spot different weather. Today it's 5°C and FULL ON mud in Munich. Shorty + High Roller combo works great. They both loose traction art the same moment so the bike is predictable. I didn't have an issue with climbing the most horrible stuff even though it was the stock High Roller (MaxxTerra).

View attachment 81040
What mud guards are you running? Is clearance ok on the rear?

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
You should always start at 0 token. If you get a lot of bottom outs you add 1 and test again. I have 0 tokens in my RS Lyrik as a example (standard is 1) @ 80kg w gear.
I can agree with that. Its winter here and the trail systems ask that you have 2.8's or bigger to ride so I'm stuck with paved trails around town for now.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
We are all measuring the same bikes, same geometry 👍 (I’m assuming we are all measuring the 2022 Reign with Fox fork / shock?!

I measured my E+2 (RS Zeb and Fox DPX2), size XL. BB height in high position is 335mm.

Regarding the handlebar height, I have 25mm of spacers under the stem (stock config). Looking at geo charts, Reign has 18mm higher stack than my S5 Kenevo. I figured out handlebar height should be pretty much the same (40mm riser bar on Kenevo), but the handlebar seems to be a bit higher on the Reign. I need to measure this too.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I can agree with that. Its winter here and the trail systems ask that you have 2.8's or bigger to ride so I'm stuck with paved trails around town for now.
Hard to do proper setup until spring. If it's decent just leave it and do it when spring arrive. On the other hand you can remove all tokens already so it's done when the snow melts. Not like you going to bottom out on flat roads ;).

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

I’m pretty’s sure the issue is on the bike and not on our bike computers. I don’t know what ant+ transmission rate is but it’s not usable as it is now. Do you have lag on data update? Or is it fast?
I run a Garmin 530 on my 2021 Stance E. The ANT+ connects extremely quickly and never drops.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Reign e+0 L. 74kg 173cm
Lets add some to recent subjects 🥸

I run rear shock with lower sag than recomended, and LSC 2clicks from fully closed, else it absorbs all rider imput.
Front fork works great 95psi and settings from Fox manual.

I got printed manual with my bike, but most of info was outdated (older model).

Garmin edge 830 connect with out problem, mainly focusing on battery% from Ant+.

I noticted freq pedal strickes in low setting, now in high, and have bought end covers on cranks and use composite pedals to spare the Carbon cranks (plastic absorbs shock forces mutch better than metal).

Dropper old Fox factory 150mm, fully inserted in downtube, fits me perferct. It came with Giant 150mm (Germany).

I have done several software updates without issues.

Love the motor, when riding up 6m concrete stairs, I can feel that it is more powerful than the PW-X1. It is more natural power but really surpises you with a punch, when you really need the power; on steep hills.

I have also switched to short stem, having motocross background, I think it is just wrong to have the handlebar so mutch offset from turning point. Long stems are last century buisness😅

Last edited:

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Reign e+0 L. 74kg 173cm
Lets add some to recent subjects 🥸

I run rear shock with lower sag than recomended, and LSC 2clicks from fully closed, else it absorbs all rider imput.
Front fork works great 95psi and settings from Fox manual.

I got printed manual with my bike, but most of info was outdated (older model).

Garmin edge 830 connect with out problem, mainly focusing on battery% from Ant+.

I noticted freq pedal strickes in low setting, now in high, and have bought end covers on cranks and use composite pedals to spare the Carbon cranks (plastic absorbs shock forces mutch better than metal).

Dropper old Fox factory 150mm, fully inserted in downtube, fits me perferct. It came with Giant 150mm (Germany).

I have done several software updates without issues.

Love the motor, when riding up 6m concrete stairs, I can feel that it is more powerful than the PW-X1. It is more natural power but really surpises you with a punch, when you really need the power; on steep hills.

I have also switched to short stem, having motocross background, I think it is just wrong to have the handlebar so mutch offset from turning point. Long stems are last century buisness😅
Interesting you picked the large. Do you like long bike?

I’m also 174 and took a Medium (same reach as my Tyee that’s also a medium).

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Right now unless we get some experiences from people in New Zealand etc we are all riding them in the cold which will reduce the battery performance.
Bloody warm here lately and I can say that I'm getting better range out of my 625wh battery on my Reign E+2 than I get out of my 750wh (2 x 375wh) on my 2018 Shimano Focus Jam2. Same bloke on the same trails. Reign is a far superior bike.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Interesting you picked the large. Do you like long bike?

I’m also 174 and took a Medium (same reach as my Tyee that’s also a medium).
The actual reach differance between medium and large is only 15mm, when you account for the different stem lengths.
I feel that I am able to thransfer the weight more actively on Large, and more confident on jumps.
I had Trance e+1 medium, also with short stem, 29er fork and seat set far back, it was too tight cokpit, way to sensitive to body position, after having two big nosedives last season, I was not in doubt when looking at the Geo 😄

From the Trance to Reign, higher stack, shorter chainstay and longer reach, lower seatpost. Does not feel long, but feels correct to me with Center of gravity closer to the rear.

AB67EB39-7E9D-4C2B-9970-E974BF558806.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A longer bike will give more confidence on faster jumps as it will be less twitchy.
But a longer less twitchy bike also has less maneuverability on steeper, tighter jumps.
Big unplanned nosedives happen because of rider error not bike length.

Expert jumpers generally ride shorter bikes as it gives them more control.

Last edited:

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
The actual reach differance between medium and large is only 15mm, when you account for the different stem lengths.
I feel that I am able to thransfer the weight more actively on Large, and more confident on jumps.
I had Trance e+1 medium, also with short stem, 29er fork and seat set far back, it was too tight cokpit, way to sensitive to body position, after having two big nosedives last season, I was not in doubt when looking at the Geo 😄

From the Trance to Reign, higher stack, shorter chainstay and longer reach, lower seatpost. Does not feel long, but feels correct to me with Center of gravity closer to the rear.

View attachment 81083
I’m doing it the other way 🤣. Adding a 50mm stem and pushing the sadel way back.

Edit: TBH if I had the option to test different sizes I might have taken a large also. Medium felt small to start with even if it’s almost identical to my propain tyee. Changing so I have identical setups on both will most likely fix that.

9ECEBBEB-6172-4554-B924-3BC7F85E67F3.png

Last edited:

jaylkay

Yes @Implor , both Garmin and E+1 are up to date, it does show power but it doesn't correlate to the motor or even my input. Shame about this, it's a mega bike all things considered.

jaylkay

My experience with Fox settings are that they tell you to put 20% too much air up front and 20% too little air in the shock on official documentation.
Another great option if available is a Shokwiz, best money I've spent and really helps get the front and back set up. It also measures sag perfectly and minimises errors in set up. I've used it heaps and never really had a bad result TBH, worth hiring at least given both front & rear have full adjustability (at least on E+1 and above).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles