Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Any one changed a front chain ring yet. Bloody price of 12 speed SRAM is ridiculous. Any helpful suggestions for an alternative (not going down to 11speed etc)

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I’m now a Levo SL owner!! So happy. Just had an excellent inaugural Surrey Hills ride this evening and the bike is just amazing.

Some ebay finds mean an XX1 shifter and derailleur, and Guide Ultimate brakes front and rear are my initial upgrades. I’m some way off Rob’s multi-million pound upgrade shenanigans! Kudos to the Ace Bicycles team in Guildford for getting my bike in earlier than expected and setting it up with awesome efficiency.

Lots of riding planned this weekend - weather looks great.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
2 rides to report on my first outing with my new Levo SL Comp Ally. I’m 54, 6’2” and 13st 11lb (87kg) by the way.

First was a 30 miler with about 3000’ of climbing up and down Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Newlands, and lots of the trails thereabouts. I was in a mixture of Eco (set to 20/60), Trail (set to 35/100) and a teeny bit of Turbo (100/100). Got back home with 15% battery remaining (no extender, started from 100%) and a massive grin on my face. I wouldn’t have ridden such a distance on my normally aspirated bike.

5D4A6989-858C-4B93-9816-42885359A930.jpeg

Second was a 20 miler, starting out much less hilly with a long towpath/riverside ride, then up St Martha’s, down again then Newlands Corner. Bike set to the same tuning as ride 1. Got back with 55% battery left (started at 100%). Another massive grin.

C0872B5F-6AA7-4BE3-8BFE-7DB055DDD1B1.jpeg

It’s just so much more pleasurable riding the SL compared to my normally aspirated Yeti 575. It’s very confidence inspiring as well and handles beautifully. I’m sure £1500 of new suspension bits might make a difference, but right now it’s just fantastic.

I’d sort of fallen out of love with mountain biking a bit, just getting bored of the ascents to just get a bit of fun on the way down. Now I actually enjoy the climbs, and find I can get up so much more than previously. And I can do many more downs as you all know. It’s rekindled my desire to go out riding. Bloody brilliant.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I tried the 35/100 setting for my ride today, pretty much equaled my FF Levo time and mph avg which was set at 35/50. So fun. I did hear a round thingy drop off my bike, it turned out to be the cassette tool that was screwed in on the RH pedal post. I found it.

17 miles, 1200’ climbing- primarily short steep, many of them-, single track. 88-100 degree F air temp.

53 percent battery left.

Reactions: CjP

Ridefurther

May 9, 2020
San Diego
Looking for a bike bag to carry a few tools/sweater/etc. The ones from my other bikes don't play well with the dropper post. Can anyone offer some suggestions for something they like? Thanks.

s1desh0wb0b

Apr 25, 2020
Cambridge
I am.

Full xt set and it is much better in every way

Are you using a aftermarket wheelset or have you been able to replace the freehub to micro spline for the stock wheels?

Do you know if there any options to convert the freehub on the comp carbon to XD or Micro spline?

“Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Are you using a aftermarket wheelset or have you been able to replace the freehub to micro spline for the stock wheels?

Do you know if there any options to convert the freehub on the comp carbon to XD or Micro spline?

“Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”

Roval traverse carbon for normal use. They are equipped with dt ratchet hubs so got an dt ms driver for them.

On racing/bike park usage i have dt m1700 set that also has the dt hubs with ratchet and ms driver.

Stock alloy rovals are crap. Wont last when things go gnarly.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Looking for a bike bag to carry a few tools/sweater/etc. The ones from my other bikes don't play well with the dropper post. Can anyone offer some suggestions for something they like? Thanks.

I have an Ortlieb seat bag, works with the dropper if the seat post is high enough and you don't drop too far, I wouldn't ride any rough trails with it dropped much.

seat bag_20200713_125918_resized.jpg

s1desh0wb0b

Apr 25, 2020
Cambridge
Thank you, I’ve just got my wife a comp carbon. But i suspect getting a ms/xd freehub was going to be very challenging for the stock wheels.

After riding her bike I’m sold I suspected I would be!

But I’m torn between the Comp carbon and Expert as I consider to swapping out the fork for 160mm lyrik and adding the Cascade components link to make it a little more capable and in all likelihood replace my Capra.

Evens has the colours for the MY21 showing and I’m keen to see the gray Expert colour when they are released.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I was at Bike Park Wales today. Had two offs, the second one I slammed pretty hard and thumped my skull (full,face helmet on). I have to say that the full fat levo is not the easiest to manoeuvre around fast steep berms. I’m no expert rider but the front end washes out considerably more compared to an acoustic bike. It had me thinking whether a SL would be different.
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I was at Bike Park Wales today. Had two offs, the second one I slammed pretty hard and thumped my skull (full,face helmet on). I have to say that the full fat levo is not the easiest to manoeuvre around fast steep berms. I’m no expert rider but the front end washes out considerably more compared to an acoustic bike. It had me thinking whether a SL would be different.
Any thoughts on this?
What tyres are you using and what pressure? There really shouldn't be much of a difference between an acoustic and a Levo/SL in the cornering stakes all being equal (tyres, pressures etc). The big Levo I guess takes a little more assertiveness to get it to turn but I find it grips well. Maybe you just had an off day and you were hanging off the back too much?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Any thoughts on this?

There is a noticeable difference in my experience. The SL can be effortlessly placed where ever you need it. It rails quicker, jumps lighter and is all round more fun to play with.
The FF will handle rough terrain a lot better as the weight transfer is heavier/slower so it’s not bucking around as much.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
What tyres are you using and what pressure? There really shouldn't be much of a difference between an acoustic and a Levo/SL in the cornering stakes all being equal (tyres, pressures etc). The big Levo I guess takes a little more assertiveness to get it to turn but I find it grips well. Maybe you just had an off day and you were hanging off the back too much?
Tyre pressure was quite high, about 27psi all round, tyres are all oem as of the 2019 bike.. The ground was dry and loose which is abnormal for Wales. And yes, I was probably hanging my butt too far over the rear. Technically all wrong for sure... I admit ?.

However, changing directions in general, at speed, on the ff levo takes a lot of effort. I had a fun day, but today the right side of my body is in pain. Perhaps it time for some coaching?

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Tyre pressure was quite high, about 27psi all round, tyres are all oem as of the 2019 bike.. The ground was dry and loose which is abnormal for Wales. And yes, I was probably hanging my butt too far over the rear. Technically all wrong for sure... I admit ?.

However, changing directions in general, at speed, on the ff levo takes a lot of effort. I had a fun day, but today the right side of my body is in pain. Perhaps it time for some coaching?

I ride with 23psi and i weight around 87kg.
If i use 27psi, i wont get a grip at all.

s1desh0wb0b

Apr 25, 2020
Cambridge
I’m looking at converting my stock Comp rear wheel to microspline. Anyone know if this is the right part?

DT Swiss Microspline
I would also like to do the same as I was discussing with @[B]TomH79[/B] yesterday the Expert comes with a DT Swiss hub but its unclear what would be compatible with the Specialized branded hub on the Comp / Comp Carbon. Hopefully its also DT Swiss compatible but it's unclear.

"Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles