Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
I went TRP Quadiem DH Spec. Will stop a freight train and still with great feel/modulation.

View attachment 25993

My other custom bits:

Santa Cruz Reserve 37mm ID wheels with DHRii 2.6 Exo+ front AND rear, with Cushcore Plus Inserts. This rolling setup is awesome, bombproof on the steepest and jankiest descent in the SW, damping, off camber grip and climbing grip 10/10. IMO 2.6 WT tires need 35mm+ Inside wheel for optimal profile.

I9 stem, OneUp EDC and Pump. Bandit saddle holder for spares. Santa Cruz reserve handlebars

OneUp 180mm dropper.

I’ve been doing two battery (700w+500w) 40mi+ technical single track rides on this bike w/5k’+ of climbing. I have an SWorks Levo, it isn’t getting riden much lately.

For me, the Kenevo is the best of the line-up if you enjoy true all mountain epics with the techiest of descents and ascents punctuating flow, XC, and trialing through rock gardens.

Being back on 27.5 WT just feels awesome. I went small on size (S3 at 5’11”) and the nimbleness and long pedal position comfort is spot on.

I have a spring kit on order for the Z1.

View attachment 25995

That ride included 3 black diamond ascents and descents.

For reference, I have also owned a Decoy and a Merida 10k in addition to the Levo that I still have (and love to look at :). This Kenevo is the best of the lot in ALL settings, excepting perhaps that the Levo is prob better in pure XC (but, not my thing).

The biggest problem in the Decoy was BB clearance. It’s just too low with the skid plate. Break over angle was too shallow to hit the tech.

I used to be a fan of Shimano 8000, but I just don’t enjoy riding it anymore after logging some many miles with the great feel and higher torque of the Brose 2.1. Plus 504 and 540 just doesn’t work for primary battery capacity for me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
Derestriction Options?
I've looked at the various options for derestricting the Brose/Spesh motor, but haven't seen the following option mentioned.
A buddy of mine has the Shimano motor and, via an app on his phone, has told the motor it's in the USA, when it's actually in the UK. This gives him 20mph before the restriction kicks in, which he finds is perfectly fine.
Brose also utilise an app, so i'd like to ask if this can also be done on the Kenevo?

Last edited:

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can someone point me in the right direction for the adapter needed to run the SRAM Code Rs with a 220mm rotor on the RS Boxxer?

I’ve tried a Hope +20mm one that I originally bought to use with my Hope E4s (HOPE Adapter Model P PM-PM +20 mm | 220 FW black, 17,50) but it leaves the Code caliper miles away from the rotor (or am I being thick and doing something wrong?).

Also the Magura MDR-P rotors look like they’ll be a nightmare to centre with the codes. The extra thickness leaves very little wiggle room.

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Can someone point me in the right direction for the adapter needed to run the SRAM Code Rs with a 220mm rotor on the RS Boxxer?

I’ve tried a Hope +20mm one that I originally bought to use with my Hope E4s (HOPE Adapter Model P PM-PM +20 mm | 220 FW black, 17,50) but it leaves the Code caliper miles away from the rotor (or am I being thick and doing something wrong?).

Also the Magura MDR-P rotors look like they’ll be a nightmare to centre with the codes. The extra thickness leaves very little wiggle room.

This adapter looks like a PM +40 ( 180-220 ) . The +20 usually use only 2 bolts that are just longer ...

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Here is mine...... 37 miles on the ODO.
I used a 20mm Avid caliper adapter to fit a 220 mm Rotor

IMG_20200208_121113.jpg

IMG_20200208_121239.jpg

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
How much play (forward - backward not side to side) is acceptable on the front hub with the front brake applied? My Kenevo has quite a noticeable ‘rock’ (similar to a loose headset but coming from the front hub) and I’m wondering if the bearings are ok. Bike is pretty much new (~100km) but I’ve never noticed this on hubs in the past.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Thanks guys for the interest in my new toy!!!

Good day.
What shock are you running? A 230x65 or a 230x62.5? Is it a DH type or the one with the flicker?Brgds/Nikolaos Tsivis

See list below. It has the flicker

Interesting - brakes are opposite and two shockwiz thingies going on there.
Interested to hear how the rear shock goes - which model is it?

Yes, in the U.S. we run mostly Right hand rear/ Left hand front. A few people do run what we call "moto style" like you guys. Yes, Shockwiz front and rear for tuning.
For shock info see below. I only have one proper ride on the air shock, and it was pretty good but lacking in mid-stroke support. I have jammed it full of air tokens and adjusted the sag, so we will see how that goes.

Could you please post a close up pic of the front brake setup?

This work? Its a 20mm adapter. I had to source proper bolts for it.

Bike Info/Mods
S4 Expert
53.3 lbs
Rockshox Boxxer @190mm Travel
Rockshox Charger 2.1 Damper
220mm Sram Centerline Rotor on Front
Code RSC Levers
Specialized Display
Sram XX1 Chain
WTB Pure Titanium Seat
Praxis 36 Tooth Chainring
Rockshox Super Deluxe Air RCT 230x65MM 188mm Rear Travel
or
Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Modified to 230x65mm 188mm Rear Travel
FlipChip on High
RaceFace Atlas Pedals
ODI MX Grips

IMG_20191225_112608.jpg

IMG_20200106_172235.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should do a Meg Neg can conversion to the super deluxe shock, transforms it, especially with mid stroke

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks guys for the interest in my new toy!!!

See list below. It has the flicker

Yes, in the U.S. we run mostly Right hand rear/ Left hand front. A few people do run what we call "moto style" like you guys. Yes, Shockwiz front and rear for tuning.
For shock info see below. I only have one proper ride on the air shock, and it was pretty good but lacking in mid-stroke support. I have jammed it full of air tokens and adjusted the sag, so we will see how that goes.

This work? Its a 20mm adapter. I had to source proper bolts for it.

Bike Info/Mods
S4 Expert
53.3 lbs
Rockshox Boxxer @190mm Travel
Rockshox Charger 2.1 Damper
220mm Sram Centerline Rotor on Front
Code RSC Levers
Specialized Display
Sram XX1 Chain
WTB Pure Titanium Seat
Praxis 36 Tooth Chainring
Rockshox Super Deluxe Air RCT 230x65MM 188mm Rear Travel
or
Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Modified to 230x65mm 188mm Rear Travel
FlipChip on High
RaceFace Atlas Pedals
ODI MX Grips

View attachment 26192

View attachment 26193

I also put a 2.1 Damper in with a 200mm travel air spring - soooo much nicer.
Was hoping I could tell enough of a difference to justify the spend - but it was better than I expected.......definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Have been considering a Super Deluxe Air Rear Shock like yours as well so will be watching with interest to see if you suss it out to work well.
Just put a 34T Chainring on mine too, didn't think a 36T would fit! Only did it as I am running Eagle AXS now so can utilise the big gears a bit more - although if she ever runs out of juice in the middle of nowhere I'm sure they'll get used plenty.......

Snowdude

Feb 20, 2020
USA
I would appreciate input on sizing. I am about to order a 2020 Kenevo but cannot decide on the size. I am torn between S3 and S4. According to size guideline, I should be on a S3. I am 5' 8" and 165 lbs with a long torso. I previously had 2016 Camber Medium and felt crammed in. I have a Evil Insurgent Large and feel right at home. Evil Insurgent's reach is bit shorter than S3 but VTTL is longer than S3. S4 has a longer reach than Evil and has a same VTTL. I tried 2020 Levo Medium felt crammed in terms of reach. Large Levo felt good in terms of reach. Unfortunately I cannot demo a Kenevo. I read through a forum and people are saying Kenevo feels smaller than it appears on paper. I really love a long bike and looking for a stable bike on dh runs. Would S4 way too big for me?

Reactions: CjP

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
I would appreciate input on sizing. I am about to order a 2020 Kenevo but cannot decide on the size. I am torn between S3 and S4. According to size guideline, I should be on a S3. I am 5' 8" and 165 lbs with a long torso. I previously had 2016 Camber Medium and felt crammed in. I have a Evil Insurgent Large and feel right at home. Evil Insurgent's reach is bit shorter than S3 but VTTL is longer than S3. S4 has a longer reach than Evil and has a same VTTL. I tried 2020 Levo Medium felt crammed in terms of reach. Large Levo felt good in terms of reach. Unfortunately I cannot demo a Kenevo. I read through a forum and people are saying Kenevo feels smaller than it appears on paper. I really love a long bike and looking for a stable bike on dh runs. Would S4 way too big for me?

I am not sure how helpful this is, but my 2 cents;
I am 5.8’’ on a S3 and it feels spot on. Haven’t tested a S4 so no comparison.
At our height I am a bit afraid the S4 wheel base is too much and the S3 feels plenty stable and planted.
I would even like to testride the S2 at my height to feel the difference in playfullness.

Last edited:

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I am 5'10'' on an S3 which fits me absolutely perfectly. At 165lbs I am not sure you would want to deal with more bike than an S3. Just my opinion, to each his own at the end of the day.

Hoppy

Nov 1, 2018
Washington
Just wondering if one of the new kenevo owners could tell me what is listed as the wheel size setting in mission control as from the factory?

Thank you

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
I also put a 2.1 Damper in with a 200mm travel air spring - soooo much nicer.
Was hoping I could tell enough of a difference to justify the spend - but it was better than I expected.......definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Have been considering a Super Deluxe Air Rear Shock like yours as well so will be watching with interest to see if you suss it out to work well.
Just put a 34T Chainring on mine too, didn't think a 36T would fit! Only did it as I am running Eagle AXS now so can utilise the big gears a bit more - although if she ever runs out of juice in the middle of nowhere I'm sure they'll get used plenty.......
I will let you know how it goes this weekend.

"Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Modified to 230x65mm" How it is done?

There is a spacer under the bottom out bumper that I removed. This worked for me, but your experience could differ.

I am 5-11 and on an S4.

IMG_20200101_084048.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Brothers on an S3 and he’s 5’6 and I’m 5’10 on an S4.
I’m on the lower limit height wise on mine I would say but it feels super stable on high speed stuff and I have to work it a little on the tight stuff.
I’ve ridden his and it’s perfect for the tight stuff and slightly less stable on the high speed stuff for me.
The S3 reach feels similar than my medium 2019 Kenevo but the bikes much longer and better balanced.
I would say an S3 would suit you perfectly.

Tacoloco

Jan 18, 2020
San Diego

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’m 5.10 and on the S3 , thought it would be to small as other bikes have been large and a mates 2019 (m) kenevo felt cramped but the size is bang on for a playful yet stable ride ! It’s longer than the 2019 and think the s4 might be to long !

Snowdude

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up ordering S3. I hope the sizing works out for me, otherwise I need to pay for shipping back to Specialized!

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I will let you know how it goes this weekend.

There is a spacer under the bottom out bumper that I removed. This worked for me, but your experience could differ.

I am 5-11 and on an S4.

View attachment 26259

No problems at all in full compression ? Had you just cut out the spacer or take everything a part to take it out ?

Thinking about go 190 - 188 already :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles