Horquilla FOX 38 Factory GRIP X2 160 mm
Amortiguador FOX FLOAT X Factory 150 mm
Tija de sillín OneUp V3 210 mm
Frenos SRAM MAVEN Silver 200/200 mm
Transmisión SRAM Eagle AXS Transmisión 1x12
Potencia Burgtec Enduro Mk3 42 mm
Manillar Santa Cruz 35 Carbon Bar 800 mm
Juego de ruedas Reserve 30 HD, Reserve 31 DH 29"/27.5"
Cubiertas Schwalbe Magic Mary, Super Trail, Ultra Soft/ Magic Mary, Super Gravity, Soft 2.5"/2.5"

Datos técnicos
Tamaño SM MD LG XL XXL
Peso 21,5 kg
Soporte de pie no

Características específicas
Chip volteable

ShapeThings

Sep 27, 2024
NorCal
12k, nearly 22kg, 600wh, low travel.

Not sure there is a huge market for that one.
Not sure if it technically replaces the Heckler SL, but no idea why you would buy that over the Vala aside from aesthetics. Couple pounds more, same travel, same price, full power, range extender that is actually available to buy. Edit: more battery too

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
i might stick a Santa Cruz decal over my Orbea one... no-one would tell the difference.

20240131_205937.jpg 20231220_103052.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
A bit extra stroke possible on the shock, if swingarm/tire clearance is there. 163r/180f vala anyone?
Still beyond my paygrade. Hopefully yt follows suit with a switch to bosch and a similar diet

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Premium market is small, us mortals buy something else, except if premium is in huge discount like in my case 😀
But would you buy a previous gen4 as the gen5 is out?

People can argue this is worth or not but no rattle is not something I would say nothing.

As for other brands, I would instabuy a Commencal power sx with this new gen, this was really what stopped me - and the fact that the frame is a bit old now.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
It's a nice bike, but it's competing directly against the Orbea rise LT and the AMflow. I'm not saying those bikes are better, SC make nice frames, but the stats (power battery weight) and builds are so much nicer elsewhere for lower budgets. Not really sure how they market this...

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It's a nice bike, but it's competing directly against the Orbea rise LT and the AMflow. I'm not saying those bikes are better, SC make nice frames, but the stats (power battery weight) and builds are so much nicer elsewhere for lower budgets. Not really sure how they market this...
... market it as a badge engineered bijou product.

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Discounts.
Just to say, what would be the expected discount you would wish for? versus waiting full price for a silent version?

I mean yeah you can spare money but during all ride you will hear the noise and think: damn I could have wait, I could have spare some money.

Unless you have not already a bike I do not think this is so wise to go with gen4, but -50% I would think twice.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Just to say, what would be the expected discount you would wish for? versus waiting full price for a silent version?

I mean yeah you can spare money but during all ride you will hear the noise and think: damn I could have wait, I could have spare some money.

Unless you have not already a bike I do not think this is so wise to go with gen4, but -50% I would think twice.

Old models need to be ~50%. I was looking at a shuttle am that was close to that and was very tempted.

Agree about the noise, that’s my biggest issue with my KSL. I find it mildly amusing Bosch has finally managed to make a motor as quiet as the brose in my 2018 Kenevo

Mjw

Oct 1, 2024
Uk
Not sure if it technically replaces the Heckler SL, but no idea why you would buy that over the Vala aside from aesthetics. Couple pounds more, same travel, same price, full power, range extender that is actually available to buy. Edit: more battery too
I have a Heckler SL X0 RSV on order (with a reasonable discount). Loved the way it rode during the test and preferred it to the Whyte e-lyte 150 and also preferred the Fazua motor over sx. In terms of handling the SL was super playful, fun and poppy and it was these attributes (essentially response to rider inputs) which made me order one to replace my 2020 Whyte e150rs. I think the extra couple of kg is enough for me to stick with it over the Vala, although Fazua reliability is a concern.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I kinda see the logic, vpp pedalling performance is less critical on an e-bike, but it seems like SC is pandering to the internet whingers who get really angry about seat post insertion despite having never touched the bike. Without the classic SC look, it looks like every other bike.

Remind me why I wouldn’t save 30% and buy an intense?
I haven’t seen an intense(yet) that hasn’t looked like hot garbage. Nothing is appealing to me about a DT that’s as round as the size of your thigh.

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Old models need to be ~50%. I was looking at a shuttle am that was close to that and was very tempted.

Agree about the noise, that’s my biggest issue with my KSL. I find it mildly amusing Bosch has finally managed to make a motor as quiet as the brose in my 2018 Kenevo
The prob is that with Brose motor (I think it is as all specialized right?), you were dropping reliability versus noise. Countless people are on their 3rd or more brose. It is better since 2023 but come on, even their whole design is also pretty bad against water. Let's not talk about the parts that are not replaceable and can break like the planetary.

Sure some people can have some luck, but where I live, rain, water, mud it makes no sense to gamble, and past warranty ...

But agree the belt is cool, totally dropped by Brose in their next version so (for these reasons and others).

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The prob is that with Brose motor (I think it is as all specialized right?), you were dropping reliability versus noise. Countless people are on their 3rd or more brose. It is better since 2023 but come on, even their whole design is also pretty bad against water. Let's not talk about the parts that are not replaceable and can break like the planetary.

Sure, but that’s what warranty’s are for. I’m personally ok with 2 motors in 6 years that mine has done, over about 4000 miles in FoD mud. I’m assuming any bike I buy will do a motor every 18-24 months.

This is a really weird shock attachment, no expert but wonder how if it works correctly.

No offense but the cables from bottom tube to triangle looks like pure garbage, why are they swimming in the air lol.

I hadn’t spotted the cables 😂 Were they designed by a child? At least it doesn’t have a beer belly like the carbon version.

Arguably a horizontal shock makes more sense for activation than vertical. Doesn’t have to rotate the force an extra 90 degrees.

RichMorr

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Uk

Sure some people can have some luck, but where I live, rain, water, mud it makes no sense to gamble, and past warranty ...

But agree the belt is cool, totally dropped by Brose in their next version so (for these reasons and others).
According to Bearing man in the EMBN interview there is nothing that can be not fixed/replaced on the brose motor including the planetary gears. At least it does give some peace of mind when my warranty runs out in 2026 if the motor goes it can be repaired.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Ahh. Much nicer than the porky carbon model, but I wouldn’t expect the weight to be back friendly. I looked up the weight and it broke my L6 and L7.

Hopefully the new intense with the Bosch gen 5 manages to retain the svelte DT from the alloy and shave a bunch of weight, and come in more sensibly price than the Vala. And maybe even retain the VPP

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Last edited:

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
But would you buy a previous gen4 as the gen5 is out?

People can argue this is worth or not but no rattle is not something I would say nothing.

As for other brands, I would instabuy a Commencal power sx with this new gen, this was really what stopped me - and the fact that the frame is a bit old now.
Never, I have gen4 Bosch on my commuter. I wanted Shimano EP801 since this time Specialized didn`t have suitable model. And Bullit was on huge sale. Ep801 is silent, no rattle and Bosch rattles. I like ride feel and power/torgue of Shimano. It`s not perfect motor but I like it. There`s no mountains here so it`s single track riding and smallish lift assisted bike parks for me. And I ride it mainly on trail mode, deepest stuff on boost but my trail mode is set somewhere 60/70% so there`s enough power there for almost every situation. It`s funny that there`s no display on new Vala because I took mine also away 😀
I understand if people ride on turbo/boost all the time, then Shimano cut off on power might be annoying. On Spesh and Bosch you just keep pedalling and it feels good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles