New Nicolai with Pinion gearbox announced

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Maybe this is the 800Wh battery?

Wow 3.6kg for the 800Wh and 4.6kg for the 1060Wh, that's up there with the best right? I think DJI said 3.7kg for their 800Wh.

Wonder if they would release a ~500Wh around 2.5kg. Think it would be doable to have the saturn running around 24kg for lunch rides or racing with the 500, then 26kg for all day rides on the weekend with the 1060.

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
Maybe this is the 800Wh battery?

Jep , i just send Nicolai an email when they start to deliver with the new Batterys. My Saturn 16 MGU is anounced for KW 37 . I hope i get the new Battery ( orderd Both the 720 and the 960 )

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Looks like the Nicolai is availible as frame / motor kit only, and UK pricing works out at £5446 shipped to the UK (+taxes)

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 09.57.37.png Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 10.00.40.png

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
At £7000+ for a frame you expect high demand ?
Yes, I do, even though currently I do not have funds for one.

People buy Specialized bikes for 14-15k, road bikes around the same price mark. Top of the range Scott bikes are crazy expensive. Or, if you prefer city bikes, have a loot at Stromer l, for example. There is a lot of cash on the market to burn for an interesting product. I think this one is.

Nicolai does not produce millions of frames so the high demand I mentioned relates to the volumes of production for a manufacturer like Nicolai.

By no means I am saying this is cheap etc. It is expensive but I am relatively poor man. For some this is ok, for others this is cheap.

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
At £7000+ for a frame you expect high demand ?
As far as I know, Nicolai builds around 5000 bikes a year across all types of bikes. According to Vincent from Nicolai, demand and interest in the Saturn 16 MGU is generally very high.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
The belt tensioner is part of it. I emailed Nicolai and asked about increasing the travel and they said they could not because the belt tensioner couldn’t take up the slack needed for longer travel. That’s the reason I mentioned it to begin with. So in addition to a new rocker, it would need the belt tensioner to be modified or made longer to take up the extra slack from more travel. I also asked about running it mullet and full 27.5, (which I would do) and they said I could, so there’s that.

What is interesting is that not all long travel bikes suffer from this. Chain growth though the suspension travel and the need to take up this slack with a tensioner, is a really a product of the suspense design itself. As a counter example, per tooFATtoride, his much-longer-travel 190mm Voima experienced almost NO chain growth when he outfitted a tensioner to it. I'm hoping the same for my Sonni.

In general, I feel bike designers must now, for the future long travel bikes with belt-driven motor/gear transmissions, take this dimension of suspension design into account. For all this time, side effects of excessive chain growth with certain suspension designs (e.g. idler-based design that push the wheel back during travel) have been subsumed by the chain length hunger of increasingly larger and lower-slung derailleurs and dinner-plate sized rear sprockets. This simply won't fly when people get spoiled with MGU's and clean/silent belt drives but still have a thirst for mondo travel EMTBs.

Last edited:

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
If it was up to me, this would be my choice choice hierarchy:
1. black anodized (not possible apparently)
2. black painted, the one that was shown on the black MGU bike with the adventure pack
3. raw
4. British racing green
5. purple (for this combo, absolutely everything else would have to be black)
6. red

However, given it is not my bike, I would say whatever colour makes you happy.

Last edited:

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
@Rob Rides EMTB Purple is the banger and you have the advantage that you probably don't have to see it every day and for a long time (this gives you a little more scope for wild colors). if I were you, I would go for something extreme like the purple.

I opted for Arctic Green Metallic Glossy. For me it's a good mix of colorful and subtle .
011a2272_1 (1).jpg

011a2288-1 kopie 2.jpg

011a2302.jpg

011a2309-1.jpg

(Thats not the MGU ist The Saturn 14 )

@tooFATtoRIDE the colour you rated 2nd is called : Texture black ( I asked Vincent cause i Liked it too ;) )

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Gates rear sprockets are for Shimano HG freehub body.
Thank you for input.

But now, i will have to fight against ... not 'a', but 'THE' vision !
Imagine ... white frame, green emerald 'nicolai' ... DVO 38 factory green... jade X green coil ... and onyxhub wheels :love: wabagadoowaaa !
Sometimes, dreamin' can hurt ... mind, as much as wallet :eek:

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
I see you point quite well. If I had not made a mistake with Voima and stayed patient for a year longer, I would be having these vision vs wallet and wallet vs vision mind battles. But I was inpatient so no money for Nicolai. Full stop. I am not a magician and where I live money does grow on trees.

However, reading about the bike spec ideas of others here gives me entertainment and a hope things improve over time. By then I will have read and seen various bike configurations so my choice process should be faster.

You mentioned the wheel specs earlier. It seems that you are going for the Onyx hubs (that would be my choice too). Which DT Swiss rims you had in mind? For me the choice would be simple: DT Swiss FR 541. I am fairly heavy, this bike invites some crazy line choices so no weight weenie wheels for me.

Lastly, you used the term of dreams. I think this is a very good approach. Positive dreams keep you from having too much time to do stupid stuff.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
I see you point quite well. If I had not made a mistake with Voima and stayed patient for a year longer, I would be having these vision vs wallet and wallet vs vision mind battles. But I was inpatient so no money for Nicolai. Full stop. I am not a magician and where I live money does grow on trees.

However, reading about the bike spec ideas of others here gives me entertainment and a hope things improve over time. By then I will have read and seen various bike configurations so my choice process should be faster.

You mentioned the wheel specs earlier. It seems that you are going for the Onyx hubs (that would be my choice too). Which DT Swiss rims you had in mind? For me the choice would be simple: DT Swiss FR 541. I am fairly heavy, this bike invites some crazy line choices so no weight weenie wheels for me.

Lastly, you used the term of dreams. I think this is a very good approach. Positive dreams keep you from having too much time to do stupid stuff.

I'm not sure about rims.
In the express wheelset express wheelset onyxhub europe / classic / boost / 32H i was hesitant about EX511 or FR541. If you tell me FR541 rims are stronger, i now knows which i have to choose : thanks ... if only i could :cry:

About dreams and stupid stuff, i've already done too much of boths to hope for salvation :rolleyes:
But i keep on riding ... maybe that's the true salvation ! ;)

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
For sir Rob : around me, a lot of ppl argue about pinion MGU, especially about it's capacity (BB drop / exposition of the pulley / belt tensioner) in the trializing department / technical climb.

In your upcoming tests, could you please verify this ?

Thank you !

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
I'm not sure about rims.
In the express wheelset express wheelset onyxhub europe / classic / boost / 32H i was hesitant about EX511 or FR541. If you tell me FR541 rims are stronger, i now knows which i have to choose : thanks ... if only i could :cry:

About dreams and stupid stuff, i've already done too much of boths to hope for salvation :rolleyes:
But i keep on riding ... maybe that's the true salvation ! ;)
Have a look at this super informative video regarding the DT Swiss rims.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Is there an option to buy the mutators for a 27.5 rear wheel?
Anyone know if the 1060 or 800 batteries will be options soon?
Did I hear correctly that a 65mm stroke shock isn't a possibility cause the belt?

1000 for shipping to the US, ouch

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles