M820 Bafang - LIGHTCARBON LCE930 Frame (lightweight)

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
I bought 4 boxes of samsung 50s 21700 5000mah 25a battery to make either a 2ps13 @480wH or 3ps13 @720 wH in frame and then an external battery for longer weekend rides. I thought i saw 39 cell diy packs of 21700 that fit the frame, and figured id git it a try. a 720Wh 36v battery pack would take 40 cells, and i saw somewhere that people can take advantage of more voltage at the end of a 48v pack on 43v firmware or something like that... I want the internal battery pack to be good for 1.5-2.5 hours, and be able to get double that for weekend adventures.

for bms i bought a daly 60A 48V
also i speced my m820 out as 48v... but what does that mean? Is it a physical comopnent configuration or just firmware. If i abandon the 48v can i flash with besst and change to 43 or 36?

thanks

View attachment 145302
Read page 8 of this forum to get a idea

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Great to see the build process and hear the professional assessment. Looking forward to the ride review!

FWIW $799US is an unpainted frame. I had a two color gradient paint done at the factory for $180. Single color is a few bucks less. IDK what LC would charge for the fancy paint effects on the review frame. Still a sub-$1K frame which is super affordable!

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Do you know the insertion length for a large frame?
After seeing the video, it's really my only concern, I'd want to run a 170mm dropper on a large frame but have the dropper slammed as low as possible
I have LCE971 M size frame and 170mm dropper is perfect for it. Not sure about LCE930 but I bet you can find that info on Lightcarbons website or email/WhatsApp JimLee at Lightcarbon. He is really helpful.

Sandnap has 170mm dropper in his LCE930 frame and you can see from the pictures how deep it sits. Lightcarbon LCE930 Custom Build - DV8

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
After seeing the video, it's really my only concern, I'd want to run a 170mm dropper on a large frame but have the dropper slammed as low as possible
The geometry chart lists 200mm

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
I have large frame and use a 150 reverb, it works for me, my preference is going downhill with the seat low as possible. 170 might be on the long side but it depends on your leg length and preference

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I have LCE971 M size frame and 170mm dropper is perfect for it. Not sure about LCE930 but I bet you can find that info on Lightcarbons website or email/WhatsApp JimLee at Lightcarbon. He is really helpful.

Sandnap has 170mm dropper in his LCE930 frame and you can see from the pictures how deep it sits. Lightcarbon LCE930 Custom Build - DV8
I have a medium frame and I am 5'8" tall. The 170 works fine for me. It is a bit high fully extended but I found a good solution to that, I don't extend it all the way :). It drops more than enough to get out of the way on the descents. I think a 150 would have been fine for me too.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
. Bike park days, just drop it down as low as possible.. I'm 6'3" and can normally get away with a 180mm.. it's out of the frame probably 4-5 inches to fit me.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Unpaint
Great to see the build process and hear the professional assessment. Looking forward to the ride review!

FWIW $799US is an unpainted frame. I had a two color gradient paint done at the factory for $180. Single color is a few bucks less. IDK what LC would charge for the fancy paint effects on the review frame. Still a sub-$1K frame which is super affordable!
yes that's the price for unpainted frame, rob's painting and logo is free, so maybe he have a misunderstand,
unpainted frame to Eu is about USD$950 including all duties,
It's a little different in price by different country and postal code.
Painting cost is USD$150/set with one pantone color or USD$180 with one crystal effect or chameleon color,
add one color cost add USD$35,
Logo cost also according the colors, USD$35/color, one sheet of logo can use for 5-10 frames,
painting time is about 20-35 daysd after frame is ready,

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Just to add — the custom painting work LC did for my frame before shipping is automotive quality and gorgeous. Still looks fantastic after the first couple months of riding. Highly recommend.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
Just to add — the custom painting work LC did for my frame before shipping is automotive quality and gorgeous. Still looks fantastic after the first couple months of riding. Highly recommend.
Get that vid out Rob! Thanks again for the build! Very interested in your thoughts on the suspension linkage progression.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Ok, so by the time you fully build up this bike, you are in for 5.5k USA? This is assuming non Fox Factory Parts, and wired drivetrain and No Warranty whatsoever. So where do you go to get this thing fixed?? Warrantied? And also, what is your cost to build should you need to bring to local bike shop for final tuning or any issues. Heck, you might be into this thing for 6k before you know it. So WHY?
A quick Pinkbike research shows:

Just buy this bike and save some cash? Right?

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
Ok, so by the time you fully build up this bike, you are in for 5.5k USA? This is assuming non Fox Factory Parts, and wired drivetrain and No Warranty whatsoever. So where do you go to get this thing fixed?? Warrantied? And also, what is your cost to build should you need to bring to local bike shop for final tuning or any issues. Heck, you might be into this thing for 6k before you know it. So WHY?

Not that easy. My reasons.

1. . I don't want to buy a complete bike with a bunch of garbage on it I don't want and mostly already have.

C. Find a comparable lightweight EMTB frameset and motor for less than double that cost.

17. Anything close to what Rob built would be over 12k easy.

7. This frameset has 450 chainstay.

4. The bafang motor is superior for the DIYer.

W. Because I want too. If you don't know this reason, you are in the wrong place.

First but not last, I don't care about the warranty.. they all suck in my area.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland

Almost 6k for that crap? Fox float parts on mtb and asking close to 6k 😂

that bike is exactly the reason why chinese diy bikes/e-bikes are so popular. You can easily build LCE930/LCE971 with Fox factory fork/shock, AXS powertrain and even carbon wheels at the price of that orbea.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
Almost 6k for that crap? Fox float parts on mtb and asking close to 6k 😂

that bike is exactly the reason why chinese diy bikes/e-bikes are so popular. You can easily build LCE930/LCE971 with Fox factory fork/shock, AXS powertrain and even carbon wheels at the price of that orbea.
Think I average around 6-7k for just the components if I get them all new. EXT isn't cheap!

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

Mine build around an bafang M820 cost me less than 4000 euro. BUT it's because i'm an "serial builder" . i purchase components following destoking offer and i store it (i have always enough to build 1 or 2 bikes).

That said, i'm agree with you, DIY bike is mostly not a good economic choice. If only to reseel it. DIY it's to satisfy an need of modified/devloping. To have "our" bike, not the same than everybody, never fully adapted at my needs and/or wishes. Same when i had purchased some major brands complete bikes. i had always modified they and spent lot off more than hers initial price.

Personally i'm very appy that some chiness (quality) company accept to sale directely to final customers.

Last edited:

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA

If you scroll up you can find my build component list and photo of the bike. I’m in US and spent all in $4,100 (including a Fox Factory 36 actually). A similarly equipped global brand bike would have easily cost 50% more—even with 2024 bikemegeddon fire sale discounts. But I didn’t build this bike just to save money.

Make sure to view this kind of build for what it is—a DIY project for people who are into that. If someone likes working on bikes and has mechanical skills it’s super fun! If they want a local bike shop to provide warranty support and be on call for bumper to bumper service then they should buy from a LBS (even if it’s more expensive).

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA

Others said it already, but that bike you linked is nowhere near the level of components of the build they did. Float vs factory suspension, wireless t-type transmission vs regular mid-grade derailleur, it's not at all the same class of bike. The one they built would easily be $9-11k from any major manufacturer.

As for warranty, I'd rather deal with Bafang myself and possibly even just keep a stock motor on hand for only ~$500-600 from the money I saved by building for the peace of mind of knowing I can be back in business immediately versus the hassle of bringing it to a bike shop, waiting for them to get to it, then have them deal with the manufacturer, possibly wait for parts, etc. There are horror stories everywhere of people waiting forever on warranty claims who probably would have rather spent some money to just get back on the trails quicker.

NWCO Emtb

Dec 18, 2021
Steamboat Springs Colorado

What is your height if you don't mind me asking? Just ordered my medium frame and working on a parts list. Not sure on dropper size or how to figure without the actual bike. I'm 5'8"/29" inseam.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Others said it already, but that bike you linked is nowhere near the level of components of the build they did. Float vs factory suspension, wireless t-type transmission vs regular mid-grade derailleur, it's not at all the same class of bike. The one they built would easily be $9-11k from any major manufacturer.

As for warranty, I'd rather deal with Bafang myself and possibly even just keep a stock motor on hand for only ~$500-600 from the money I saved by building for the peace of mind of knowing I can be back in business immediately versus the hassle of bringing it to a bike shop, waiting for them to get to it, then have them deal with the manufacturer, possibly wait for parts, etc. There are horror stories everywhere of people waiting forever on warranty claims who probably would have rather spent some money to just get back on the trails quicker.
Thanks for all the feedback and many great points are taken into consideration. I would also say that once you build up this Chinese frame you have little or no resale on this bike. Something worth considering? So you buy a Orbea Rise, with warranty, which I believe the all motors carry a 2 year, and you have a bike that would sell in the aftermarket much better than a generic Chinese built bike. Albeit, why do you build a bike to sell it, LOL. But do the math and consider the following:

You get this bike with decent parts, (everyone was complaining about parts.. this bike has good parts).

So you pay 6.5k for a very decent bike. You have an issue with the motor 1 year into your purchase, replaced for free. Save you $850 bucks vs. the Chinese one., then you have battery coverage just in case. You ride this bike for 2 years then decide to sell it for 3k., and saved $850 on the motor replacement, but let's assume you don't have to change it. Net cost $3500 USD.

You build the Chinese bike for 4.5k pounds is $5864 USD. You don't have any issue with the motor, but are able to sell it for 2k two years from now, and believe me, it will be a challenge to sell it. Net cost $3800 USD.

Just having fun, but if you shop some of these deals on the web, you can find a bike that you don't have to build, carry a warranty, and have resale in the end, and like I did, Orbea replaced my EP08 8 months into ownership for a cost of $0.

Just my 2 cents, or 2 pounds. LOL.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Thanks for all the feedback and many great points are taken into consideration. I would also say that once you build up this Chinese frame you have little or no resale on this bike. Something worth considering? So you buy a Orbea Rise, with warranty, which I believe the all motors carry a 2 year, and you have a bike that would sell in the aftermarket much better than a generic Chinese built bike. Albeit, why do you build a bike to sell it, LOL. But do the math and consider the following:

You get this bike with decent parts, (everyone was complaining about parts.. this bike has good parts).

So you pay 6.5k for a very decent bike. You have an issue with the motor 1 year into your purchase, replaced for free. Save you $850 bucks vs. the Chinese one., then you have battery coverage just in case. You ride this bike for 2 years then decide to sell it for 3k., and saved $850 on the motor replacement, but let's assume you don't have to change it. Net cost $3500 USD.

You build the Chinese bike for 4.5k pounds is $5864 USD. You don't have any issue with the motor, but are able to sell it for 2k two years from now, and believe me, it will be a challenge to sell it. Net cost $3800 USD.

Just having fun, but if you shop some of these deals on the web, you can find a bike that you don't have to build, carry a warranty, and have resale in the end, and like I did, Orbea replaced my EP08 8 months into ownership for a cost of $0.

Just my 2 cents, or 2 pounds. LOL.
When comparing a liquidation sale, yeah, it's probably not going to work out ahead, I agree with you there. That bike is $3500 off of original price supposedly, that would have been what you would have saved essentially by doing it yourself probably. They're now likely just selling it at cost or close to it to get rid of 18-24mo old stock so you can get a deal.

Like some others said though, it's not all about saving money, most people building themselves are doing it for the experience and enjoy tinkering with things, knowing how it all went together, getting to pick their own paint etc, it's a process and some find it fun. If the goal is to get the best bike for the lowest price, buying used but still relatively new or finding a sale on a last year's model like you did will probably yield the best results. If you compare to an actual current model year bike though, it'll probably come out cheaper to build it yourself in most cases (I admit not all, especially on the cheaper bikes).

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
When comparing a liquidation sale, yeah, it's probably not going to work out ahead, I agree with you there. That bike is $3500 off of original price supposedly, that would have been what you would have saved essentially by doing it yourself probably. They're now likely just selling it at cost or close to it to get rid of 18-24mo old stock so you can get a deal.

Like some others said though, it's not all about saving money, most people building themselves are doing it for the experience and enjoy tinkering with things, knowing how it all went together, getting to pick their own paint etc, it's a process and some find it fun. If the goal is to get the best bike for the lowest price, buying used but still relatively new or finding a sale on a last year's model like you did will probably yield the best results. If you compare to an actual current model year bike though, it'll probably come out cheaper to build it yourself in most cases (I admit not all, especially on the cheaper bikes).
Yeah, it's fun to have this conversation and truth be told, I would love to build up my own bike! So nice to have options!

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Yeah, it's fun to have this conversation and truth be told, I would love to build up my own bike! So nice to have options!
It's actually surprising that you can build yourself, paying full retail pricing for components, for anywhere near what they're selling full bikes for, forget saving any money. With the buying power these big manufacturers have to buy forks, shocks, drivetrain components, etc for, likely 30%+ cheaper than you or would retail from any reseller, they're clearly making very healthy margins on these bikes. Especially the frames... If you were to ask me if it would work out anywhere near even to buy every single little piece on your own, full retail giving the reseller all their margin as well, I would have said no way, but it's crazy that it works out.

Last edited:

Aug 2, 2023
Uk
Hi Guys,

Firstly an introduction; Kieran here, the founder of Radical Bicycle Co based in sunny Shropshire (UK).

Some MAY have seen a few snippets, but we have been testing an LCE930 frame & the M820 for just over 12 months, called the ‘Supacat’. Ultimately, this was just an excuse for me to try something completely far right field to what we normally do…. But to be honest, the surprises never stopped coming. The short version of this story is we have decided to add this frame to our line up;
But there is so much more substance to us and this decision.

We have been fabricating steel frames right here in the UK for 4 years now, with great success (in fact, one our models received a hardtail of the year nomination last year). We also, just last year branched out and contracted to a factory in Asia to make a more budget friendly alternative to the line up.

That aside, over 12 months of running the Supacat, the experience has been nothing bar pleasure. The feedback from not just people seeing the frame, but also riding has been incredible. Swinging legs over other larger scale brands left me scratching my head as to how this frame is just, to simply put, brilliant.

So that leads us to this present day. I will be first to hold my hands up; I did not always support brands who utilise an open mold approach. I have ran with the process of mass producing our design, even had a brief conversation with Gavin on modifying moulds for the LCE930, but here’s the fact; I am small business owner self funded, when the bill for doing this hit £80k, the realisation that it just was too far out of reach had hit home hard.

So here we are. We all know there are other brands using this frame, but I would genuinely like to think that what set us apart is this; an open hand. I’d like to take a strong bet on how many brands would come out and say the same; but I am not here to hide anything. This opportunity will give me the chance to offer a product to a market that I just could not otherwise reach. But not only that; our focus is on UK fabrication of our steel frames. We have a strong history of fabrication and customer support, and have the track record to prove that. But this is a starting block that could really help us as a brand, reach the more mainstream audience. Everyone has to start somewhere! A little insider knowledge (not yet fully public); I am about to take on a partner and we will be bringing UK fabrication under the Radical banner, AND, they work in the carbon industry, dealing with assessment and repair on carbon bikes. Basically, we are going into this VERY well equipped.

The plan here is to offer this as a frame only, extension of warranties and a stock of spares etc for a higher level of support for our customer base. The cost, when you factor in the 34% import fees here in the UK, really is not miles out from what someone would pay for their own DIY; but for me, it’s not all about the money, there’s just so much more this could offer.

So there it is… probably one of the only people working in the industry to lay their cards out on the table as much as that. I really do hope we can gain your support because this forum to me personally, has been nothing but an asset in the beginning of this! If anyone ever wants to chat, ask questions, just hit us up; this is not a sales post, just getting out in the community.

Check out the bikes; the yellow was the initial frame that is 12 months old (seen on Pinkbike/bikeradar), the red is going to be the production finish.

Thanks guys, and it’s great to finally get out there.

IMG_7446.jpeg D20A074B-D343-459D-BD8E-2A158B8289BA.jpeg

Last edited:

aledavi

Mar 4, 2024
tarragona
Hello

I have connected the Bafang GO+
application to my bike and I get what is seen in the following photos in the configuration of the different levels.
As you can see how it is configured (I haven't set it that way, it's how it appears when you connect it). Would you change something?

Screenshot_2024-08-21-19-25-48-240_com.bafangen.ride.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-21-19-25-58-532_com.bafangen.ride.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-21-19-26-04-446_com.bafangen.ride.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-21-19-26-09-529_com.bafangen.ride.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-21-19-26-19-500_com.bafangen.ride.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles