How long before integrated motor/gearboxes go mainstream?

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Finally seems like Valeo/effigear have a solid prototype, I recall seeing another manufacturer on an embn vid at interbike a few weeks ago too.

In my mind this is a slam dunk for ebikes and should the tech be robust and somewhat sensible in its pricing is be shocked if it didn't get thrown on all the big hitters for 2023 ?

Hope my rail holds out until they are available, now we can see the tech is nearly there I honestly think it would put me off buying another ebike with a conventional drivetrain.

What do you guys think?

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
I think all mtb’s will move to gearboxes in the next few years. It just makes sense and there was a prototype from shimano I believe so seems they are working on one. Then my current bike will be unridable and give me an excuse to buy a new one. Death to derailleurs!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think all mtb’s will move to gearboxes in the next few years. It just makes sense and there was a prototype from shimano I believe so seems they are working on one. Then my current bike will be unridable and give me an excuse to buy a new one. Death to derailleurs!
If Shimano produced a combined motor & gearbox, I for one would not touch it with a bargepole unless it was serviceable. Motors are complex enough; to add the complexity of a gearbox to it just guarantees a failure. A long warranty might convince me, but it would have to be transferable.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Once we get past the "Pay the premium to be an alpha tester" stage, I'd be all in. Given that the small extra weight and drag penalty is meaningless on an ebike compared to the much easier and cheaper maintenance of your drivetrain, I think it's inevitable.

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
If Shimano produced a combined motor & gearbox, I for one would not touch it with a bargepole unless it was serviceable. Motors are complex enough; to add the complexity of a gearbox to it just guarantees a failure. A long warranty might convince me, but it would have to be transferable.

Im specifically talking gearbox only not motor integration. I’ve no idea if they are working on one for ebikes.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Im specifically talking gearbox only not motor integration. I’ve no idea if they are working on one for ebikes.

Considering how long development cycles are, I'm sure both SRAM and Shimano have motor+gearbox designs underway. Shimano will no doubt release one years after other people have lol.

ant0

Feb 25, 2021
Aviemore, Scotland
Death to derailleurs is good by me, I destroy them at an alarming rate and am well known for this among my friends ?‍♂️?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles