• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
this is not what I asked ...
Hi bro u asked where? I gave u link proof of working? I don't care šŸ«”šŸ‘
The youtube shows installation and working. Speedbox is a reputable company I think it will work. There surley will be videos but I don't care I dont got one.
Maybe u can try it one to test ? Happy travelling!

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Hi bro u asked where? I gave u link proof of working? I don't care šŸ«”šŸ‘
The youtube shows installation and working. Speedbox is a reputable company I think it will work. There surley will be videos but I don't care I dont got one.
Maybe u can try it one to test ? Happy travelling!
long term working is a proof and there is

NOT A SINGLE PROOF OF A LONG TERM TUNED WORKING BOSCH CX RACE

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
rim magnet is not possible to tune

don't buy these ebikes ( with rim magnet )
Bosch Smart System - Rim Magnet

I donā€™t know how well this one or the speedbox version works, but these are the only 2 companies that make a solution for the rim magnet that Iā€™m aware of. If I still had a rim magnet ebike, I think Iā€™d rather convert it to the rotor magnet speed sensor and have several options to derestrict.

Last edited:

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
Bosch Smart System - Rim Magnet

I donā€™t know how well this one or the speedbox version works, but these are the only 2 companies that make a solution for the rim magnet that Iā€™m aware of. If I still had a rim magnet ebike, I think Iā€™d rather convert it to the rotor magnet speed sensor and have several options to derestrict.
How would u do that? I'd think software update. But possible hardware only? I'd doubt it

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
How would u do that? I'd think software update. But possible hardware only? I'd doubt it
As has been previously mentioned and explained, you would have to have permission from the bike manufacturer and the change is done by any authorized Bosch dealer, plus the hardware needed.

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
As has been previously mentioned and explained, you would have to have permission from the bike manufacturer and the change is done by any authorized Bosch dealer, plus the hardware needed.
Hmm maybe ur right I read the posts šŸ‘
really doubt any lbs would approve this as its breaking the law

Last edited:

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
Im doing a 2 day 60 mile review Its
This is a review on the battery how it rides and if an error comes up
To the trolls posting that they dont want a review and people agreeing this is what the thread is about plz talk to a moderator
IM from uk and the limit is 15.5mph

On the the bike today pretty pointless doing 28mph its fast and fun but dont really see anything its 100% concentration lol

I'm doing 17mph on the headwind.

Having a coffee and will see it with the wind. Battery doing ok 66% left and done 12 miles and Did full speed 28mph for 2 miles.

Loads better for Ā£200 for the chip doing 17+ mph is alot better doing 15.5 and if the 504 message comes on I'll be šŸ˜›

On the way back boost up to 24mph couldn't resist looked like an Olympic athlete motor is still quiet
48% battery left did about 17 - 18 miles.
One thing I see if i set the speed high 22mph+ the motor will try and get u to it compared to 19+ feels like its over working but I do have the assist on +5

If I really wanted to save power I could use eco mode but thats boring my battery is 500 wh

Ok 2nd ride half way through with a headwind set at 19mph 31% battery used which seems normal for me for a strong headwind ok on the coast.
Doing my usual route probs is less efficient but hard to tell. Don't know the milage cuz it didn't reset my previous ride I'd say bout 10 miles

28% battery left probably done 29miles total on this ride . Did top speed at 28mph for 2 miles then set 20mph on the way home for 10 miles with wind which is perfect.
Probably done 60 miles in total with chip.
I reckon if its being detected the error will be on in the nxt few 100 miles

Last edited:

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
I've never understood why the need to de-restrict the motor. If you care to,thats fine, im not being judgemental, just wondering why.

Is it the need for speed, to go ever faster ?
Increase of speed has the motor running for longer, which drains the battery quicker and limits the range.
yes thats exactly the reason. even doing 18mph alot better my bike feels best at 20mph if UK upped it to 20mph instead of 15.5 i would leave it (maybe lol) maybe not for mountain lovers but for hybrid bikes 15.5 isnt bad but doing 20mph is fun.

Sir_Szendi

Apr 10, 2024
Poland
Is there a way to change the engine region to the US? Then the speed is up to 32 km/h. Focus rejected my request to change the configuration. Even the fact that magnetic platforms disrupt the built-in speed sensor does not convince them.

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
Is there a way to change the engine region to the US? Then the speed is up to 32 km/h. Focus rejected my request to change the configuration. Even the fact that magnetic platforms disrupt the built-in speed sensor does not convince them.
No and no LBS will change it cuz its illegal.

If only China wanted to hack this

Sir_Szendi

Apr 10, 2024
Poland
I'm losing hope, I've tried everything. Emailing the manufacturer about changing the configuration, testing the speedbox for the magnet on the wheel rim...

Sir_Szendi

Apr 10, 2024
Poland
it keeps turning on and off and shows an error on the display. Due to the construction of the frame (Focus Jam 2 model 2023) it cannot be mounted correctly. This element that needs to be glued to the engine works correctly when the engine is removed from the frame and is glued directly to the engine. However, then the engine cannot be mounted in the frame. When the element is glued to the tower frame in the place where the engine is, it does not work correctly.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think we know the problem is a software one, and the only way is to enter the system and change it from there
In the UK the max limit of assistance is 15.5mph, but elsewhere, the US it is 25mph.
Now i doubt there are two different motors, one a 15.5, the other a 25, so both options are in the standard motor, it is just a way of hacking into that and making the change.

I wonder if US sellers have access to change speeds. So maybe look for a sympathetic shop willing to tell you how and supply any passwords needed to enter the system.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I think we know the problem is a software one, and the only way is to enter the system and change it from there
In the UK the max limit of assistance is 15.5mph, but elsewhere, the US it is 25mph.
Now i doubt there are two different motors, one a 15.5, the other a 25, so both options are in the standard motor, it is just a way of hacking into that and making the change.

I wonder if US sellers have access to change speeds. So maybe look for a sympathetic shop willing to tell you how and supply any passwords needed to enter the system.
The US speed limit is 20mph, not 25. And no, shops wonā€™t change that. They have too much to lose and nothing to gain.

Thoumey

Jul 25, 2024
England
I have bought this volspeed v2 and update on usage! Im gathering its a 50/50 it will be flawless.
But by tricking the bike its doing 13mph consistently seems like it will work.
Has any installed Volspeed 2 with just the LED? If so did you need to flow app to set it up or was it just plug and play.

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee

Ok cheers. Only thing Iv plugged it in and because I only have the LED, is there a way of indicating it's working apart from just riding it?
U Dont have a screen?
U kinda need the screen to see the speed it will be rubbish without one but u can still do it.

Press -+-+ and ride it will be set to 18mph

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
And thatā€™s why the Speedfun furious EVO is better. No display needed and no startup or shutdown process. Just plug it in and ride. And itā€™s also cheaper.

Last edited:

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
And thatā€™s why the Speedfun furious EVO is better. No display needed and no startup or shutdown process. Just plug it in and ride. And itā€™s also cheaper.
Volspeed no start up process thank god. I'd end up getting an error šŸ˜ƒ

I'm sure all these companys r the same.

Its the same reviewer all all from Germany with different options

Thoumey

Jul 25, 2024
England
U Dont have a screen?
U kinda need the screen to see the speed it will be rubbish without one but u can still do it.

Press +-+- and ride it will be set to 18mph
It didn't come with a screen on this Bosch smart system. Thinking about getting a Kiox 300 though. Cheers šŸ‘

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Volspeed no start up process thank god. I'd end up getting an error šŸ˜ƒ

I'm sure all these companys r the same.

Its the same reviewer all all from Germany with different options
You told the other guy to, ā€œPress -+-+ and ride it will be set to 18mphā€. That sounds like a start up procedure to me. The speedfun is literally plug it in and ride. You donā€™t have to press anything and you donā€™t need a display. But to each his own.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles