Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Bike is finished now, will give it a paint job at some point, but quite happy with the flat black and the glossy decals I made for now. Thanks everybody who helped me here - seriously appreciated! :love:

(spot the 'deliberate' mistake).

E22.jpeg

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Sorry, its not finished - I still need a battery :sneaky:

I just wasn't happy with the 48v/15AH options that I have with the empty battery case and frame mounting components I got from Dengfu. After a lot of reading, and nothing really hitting the spot, I decided to design my own solution.

This housing I've designed holds 56x 21700 cells, rather than 18650s - giving me 52v and a whopping 20Ah of capacity.

No modifications need to the frame, just remove the stock mounting bracket and locking mechanism, then bolt the thing in using the now empty holes.

It was a proper challenge getting the thing to fit the frame, and getting the number of cells I wanted in there. Lots of chin scratching required. Once it worked in CAD, I bashed together a scale mock-up using my hobby CNC machine. That fits perfectly. :love:

It's being printed in PETG now. I'm super-excited, will keep you posted.....

21700case.PNG

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Hi,
I've finally received the frame. (y)
But it did not come with the battery docking and locking mechanism nor did come with the charging connector. (n)
I've contacted Dengfu (Mia) and they say this is normal because I did not order the battery from them. :mad:

Is this normal? I did order the frame only with no battery, so I guess this is what happens when you do so. But still seem kinda stupid. Not to mention I asked them several times what accessories and parts would be included and all they said was headset and thruaxle. To be fair, they did change correspondant mid conversation. (Melody was replaced by Mia).

Anyone know where I can find this elsewhere?
I made a point of ordering the mountings and an empty case when I bought mine - I'm not going to use them though , PM me if you want to buy them from me at cost.

Tomteam

Feb 18, 2022
Huelva. España

I just wasn't happy with the 48v/15AH options that I have with the empty battery case and frame mounting components I got from Dengfu. After a lot of reading, and nothing really hitting the spot, I decided to design my own solution.

This housing I've designed holds 56x 21700 cells, rather than 18650s - giving me 52v and a whopping 20Ah of capacity.

No modifications need to the frame, just remove the stock mounting bracket and locking mechanism, then bolt the thing in using the now empty holes.

It was a proper challenge getting the thing to fit the frame, and getting the number of cells I wanted in there. Lots of chin scratching required. Once it worked in CAD, I bashed together a scale mock-up using my hobby CNC machine. That fits perfectly. :love:

View attachment 96961

I am really interested in the process of building the battery.
I tried to build a 13s 3p with 21700 cells in the Dengfu battery box but it was not possible and I ended up inserting the package in the frame and fastening it well with Nylon ties
IMG_20220821_163621.jpg
IMG_20220831_131302.jpg IMG_20220831_130632.jpg
It would be great if I shared the 3D printing design to order someone to build them for me or for anyone who wants to make a custom battery.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava

View attachment 96961

Thats very nice job! Will you share stls? How is it all tight together?

I did also some for 13S4P

IMG_20220604_013732.jpg

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I was going to order a E22 frame from an online seller. I noticed the derauiller hanger is part of the carbon fiber frame. Although I had yet to break the derauiller hangers on any of my MTB. Are all E22 frames built like that?
The derailleur hanger attaches to the frame and forms part of the drop outs for the axle to secure in.
H34da3f192f804e7bb94cfb9b258dc726F.jpg

I haven't ripped mine off yet. But I do have spares.

The hanger is made from 661 alloy👍🏿

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Just starting shopping for my build...any recommendations on what to buy or avoid?
Also if you are in Canada/USA feel free to dm me offers on parts you have...

I'll be buying new or nearly new takeoffs to save $$

Fork: Fox 36 or yari or lyrik, or a Domain, zeb or Fox 38 if I can snag a good price
(I prefer more simple suspension with less adjustments than the pro level stuff, but will take top tier if a great deal comes up. I had a manitou Mattock pro on one bike and it had wayyy too many adjustments, really hated taking the time to dial it in)

Shock: (edit - purchased basic RS deluxe select+ - pinkbike, brand new takeoff 2022 commencal) its 230x62.5, so hoping it won't need offset bushings.

Wheelset: (edit - purchased 27.5+ 2.8" wheelset/tires - takeoff from Luna Z1 - thanks mabman!)

Drivetrain: Going to start with an LTwoo AX11, 11-52 setup, hopefully i don't taco the cassette like Bram did. I have this setup on my hardtail and it is really quite good for the price - all steel RD, steel cassette.

Brakes: I have a BNIB set of Ztto 4 piston brakes I will test on this bike - newer product, very few reviews so taking a total chance on them.

I find it fun experimenting with cheap chinese stuff from aliexpress/alibaba

All the other ancillary stuff i have lots of spares so no need to go into minor details...

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I'd sell the stock wheels from my Z1 with stock Maxxis tyres for cheap but getting them to you would be cost prohibitive from the US/OR. Might be able to sneak them into BC via my son who is on visit but still it just cost me $30cdn to get a shock sent to Van from Montreal area and they said it was going to take 2 weeks, but only ended up taking 1......So shipping something as bulky as a wheelset and with tires weighing it down would cost $$$$$. Shipping costs are out of hand anymore or maybe we are all just spoiled by Amazon Prime?

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Just starting shopping for my build...any recommendations on what to buy or avoid?

Im thinking :
Fork: Fox 36 or yari or lyrik, or a Domain, zeb or Fox 38 if I can snag a good price
(I prefer more simple suspension with less adjustments than the pro level stuff, but will take top tier if a great deal comes up. I had a manitou Mattock pro on one bike and it had wayyy too many adjustments, really hated taking the time to dial it in)

Shock: Fox float X or X2 or RS Super deluxe, or Monarch Plus RC3 (not sure why the legacy monarch is still made but it seems decent)
Would consider DVO, Marzzocchi or Suntour comparable options too

Wheelset: 27.5+ 2.8" tires - not too picky on brands for wheels as most anything in a 35mm inner width is pretty tough stuff...
I like plus tires for the added cushion and traction, and since they are so unpopular I'm hoping to score a wheelset dirt cheap.

Drivetrain: cheap steel wide ratio 9-11 spd as so many report chewing through these parts. leaning towards shimano HG compatible hub so i can try a tough, wide ratio 9 spd as Bram recommended...or a cheap chinese 11 spd ( i have a LTwoo AX11 on my hardtail and it is really quite decent). Loved the SLX 11 speed setup i had on another bike - butter smooth shifting, but not spending the $$ if its just going to destroy it in short time.

Brakes: some cheap 4 piston setup sounds good enough - Meeko said the Sensah worked quite well...or good old reliable deore 4 piston..
I have a set of Ztto 4 piston brakes i was planning for another bike that might make their way onto this bike to give them a good test.

As you can tell, i am not at all interested in spending extra $$ to save weight. Brand wise, I Prefer shimano stuff over sram in general, and I find it fun experimenting with cheap chinese stuff from aliexpress/alibaba

All the other ancillary stuff i have lots of spares so no need to go into minor details...
The cheap 9 spd didn't work out so well for me. It lasted twice aslong as the 12spd. Which was only 100kms.

I have now put a kindernay vii internal gear hub on the bike.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
thx, i'll just go with a cheap 11 spd and shift mindfully.....
I dont think it's the shifting that causes problems. All my teeth are worn and rolled over. There was no issue changing gears. The issue is the chain literally rides up and skips over the cassette when you use full power. When you see how the soft metal cassette teeth wear, and then fold over on the tips, it will make sense.

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
... chain literally rides up and skips over the cassette when you use full power. When you see how the soft metal cassette teeth wear, and then fold over on the tips, it will make sense.

oof yes i think i remember you posting pics about that. yikes. I dont plan to run at full power when riding trail. I really wanted something faster for the commute TO the trails as my shimano e8000 even hacked really wont go over 40kph or so... Also throttle in case i get injured and need to motor it home lol. Gonna have to be careful even on pavement i guess and not ramp up acceleration so quick.
I'm not going to go to an internal gear hub like you did tho. I wonder if they make "cush drive" hubs for bikes like most motorcycles have... (rubber cushions inside the hub)

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Bram did you consider the Sram EX1 8 speed drivetrain? case hardened tool steel cassette, specially designed wider chain for ebike use...wide range 11-48t. Edit: just read a bikeradar review and the tester went through 3 chains and 1 cassette in 2500 kms...i think that still kinda sucks for a groupset that would cost me nearly $1000....
Ok i'm open to buying an internal geared hub if the price is reasonable..

Last edited:

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Bram did you consider the Sram EX1 8 speed drivetrain? case hardened tool steel cassette, specially designed wider chain for ebike use...wide range 11-48t. Edit: just read a bikeradar review and the tester went through 3 chains and 1 cassette in 2500 kms...i think that still kinda sucks for a groupset that would cost me nearly $1000....
Ok i'm open to buying an internal geared hub if the price is reasonable..
I did consider it. The price for the shifters and derailers is pretty reasonable. But the cassette is getting into xx1 territory. Plus none of the Aussie online retailers had stock when I was looking.

Im not adverse to spending money. But I dont want to be spending over and over, if im gonna spend big bucks on something, i want it to be a long lasting item. The IGHs do claim to be very reliable. And that was enough for me to spend on one. I guess time will tell. If it does work out, them I will have wished I just went that option from the start. If it doesnt, then I don't know what I'll do.

Last edited:

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA

Im thinking :

Shock: Fox float X or X2 or RS Super deluxe, or Monarch Plus RC3 (not sure why the legacy monarch is still made but it seems decent)
Would consider DVO, Marzzocchi or Suntour comparable options too

Wheelset: 27.5+ 2.8" tires - not too picky on brands for wheels as most anything in a 35mm inner width is pretty tough stuff...
I like plus tires for the added cushion and traction, and since they are so unpopular I'm hoping to score a wheelset dirt cheap.

Drivetrain: cheap steel wide ratio 9-11 spd as so many report chewing through these parts. leaning towards shimano HG compatible hub so i can try a tough, wide ratio 9 spd as Bram recommended...or a cheap chinese 11 spd ( i have a LTwoo AX11 on my hardtail and it is really quite decent). Loved the SLX 11 speed setup i had on another bike - butter smooth shifting, but not spending the $$ if its just going to destroy it in short time.

Brakes: some cheap 4 piston setup sounds good enough - Meeko said the Sensah worked quite well...or good old reliable deore 4 piston..
I have a set of Ztto 4 piston brakes i was planning for another bike that might make their way onto this bike to give them a good test.

As you can tell, i am not at all interested in spending extra $$ to save weight. Brand wise, I Prefer shimano stuff over sram in general, and I find it fun experimenting with cheap chinese stuff from aliexpress/alibaba

Definitely look into getting something steel, I have a 8 speed microshift acolyte groupset on my 45a bbshd and I'm over 1500 miles now and still everything is working great and the cassette shows little wear. The whole cassette is steel and is 12-46t which I find is more than enough for a ebike. Less gears = better imo as less shifting is needed. Plus the 8 speed is dirt cheap, whole thing costed me $85 after tax, I think a new cassette is under $30. I don't even run a shift sensor, didn't like how long it cut power, I just let off the throttle and shift immediately after and the left over momentum shifts the gear. I honestly don't get how bram is going through cassettes so fast, I do hope the internal geared hub fixes things for him.

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Definitely look into getting something steel, I have a 8 speed microshift acolyte groupset on my 45a bbshd and I'm over 1500 miles now and still everything is working great and the cassette shows little wear. The whole cassette is steel and is 12-46t which I find is more than enough for a ebike. Less gears = better imo as less shifting is needed. Plus the 8 speed is dirt cheap, whole thing costed me $85 after tax, I think a new cassette is under $30. I don't even run a shift sensor, didn't like how long it cut power, I just let off the throttle and shift immediately after and the left over momentum shifts the gear. I honestly don't get how bram is going through cassettes so fast, I do hope the internal geared hub fixes things for him.

thx i'll look into the 8 spd microshift, also might go with the setup Mabman mentioned he was doing well with - Sensah - all steel cassette, RD 10-50 11 spd...

As for Bram - i suspect he shreds just a bit harder than most of us lol.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I didn't. I haven't bought from them. I got my extra battery from Ding tai. They were alot cheaper than gbk

Herbert is the man! Love dealing with him cause there is just enough edge of understanding going on to make it interesting and the end results so far have been beyond expectations in regards to overall cost and shipping time. Eat that Specialized $1400/ battery needers!

May or may not be popular but I think that any battery that doesn't have 21700 cells, and I mean good ones not just any old, is junk to me forever. Why more manufacturers don't use them I just don't know. Just handled 6 leftover BH AtomX bikes with BroseS motors from 2020 and they have 720wh 20ah 21700 cell batteries so it can be done.

Thread wise I got the coil shock for my bike but not on yet as I have been away and off the bike now for 10 days after a nasty high speed on the beach getoff creating a sore back.....long story.

Sandy Helmet.jpg

Last edited:

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
dc53df8f449b98f3300069ccafc9b353523e9131-1.jpg

Thanks to Anna at greenbikekit. I got my bike in great shape and with prompt personal and courteous customer service that has far exceeded my expectations!

+1 for microshift 8spd with the 12-46t! so cheap and so good!

Mirus

Sep 20, 2022
USA
Just got my Luna Z-1. Do most E22 frames have poor fitting battery covers? Mine seems a bit rough at the bottom and has a bit of a gap (only about 2mm but still). Luna Support's response was:
As far as the battery cover it's not too small they all look like this.

Wcb8qRI.jpg

hLg2EPn.jpg

Also the paint is a bit rough but that's a Luna thing not E22 specific. Trying to get them to at least tell me what touch-up paint is best to use on the scratches for color matching (it also has a ton of "swirls" all over the frame and "orange peel" on the battery cover but I'm not as concerned with that, just disappointed for $4500 USD). Doesn't seem like Luna Support cares to do much about it.

Nuq1WBn.jpg

fwrOHYz.jpg

I bought the Luna for the motor tune and paint job (I'm replacing literally every other component) but starting to think I probably should have just went for a basic E22 frame (hopefully the motor makes up for it).

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
For your information, these cases are called ShanShan SSE-103 and you can directly order replacement parts from them! Attached a file that gives an overview of the part numbers.

The manufacturer is indeed willing to share the 3D-model, if you sign an NDA and tell about your project. However Dengfu only used the case and doesn't share the intube part of E22 as 3D-model. I tried to get it for over a month. They are acting studpid, as they wouldn't understand what I'm requesting. I made my own model in case somebody is interested.

IMG-20220907-WA0002.jpg

Even modeled the Smart BMS from JBD.
IMG-20220907-WA0003.jpg

Attachments

• SSE-103 索尼爆炸图.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
For your information, these cases are called ShanShan SSE-103 and you can directly order replacement parts from them! Attached a file that gives an overview of the part numbers.

The manufacturer is indeed willing to share the 3D-model, if you sign an NDA and tell about your project. However Dengfu only used the case and doesn't share the intube part of E22 as 3D-model. I tried to get it for over a month. They are acting studpid, as they wouldn't understand what I'm requesting. I made my own model in case somebody is interested.

View attachment 97745

Even modeled the Smart BMS from JBD.
View attachment 97744

Just to confirm this model is for the inner tube that the battery would slot into? I'm looking into build a e22 bike and with that a custom battery, I don't plan on using the empty housing that you can purchase. Getting a model of the interior of the e22 to see how I could make a custom battery would be nice. Am I correct in assuming that's what you made above? And I don't see a file for that model, would love to get my hands on it if that is the case :) That would also really help with making a custom battery case that would extend outwards like what was previously mentioned.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex

View attachment 96961
So I came off my bike and properly beat myself up, as a result I've been out of action, feeling sorry for myself and and only started printing yesterday. 😭

12 hours later, this is where its at. I'm really pleased with the results so far and all seems to measure up nicely in terms of dimensions.

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Am I correct in assuming that's what you made above? And I don't see a file for that model, would love to get my hands on it if that is the case :)
That's what I made, but it kinda rough. Did it in F360 and you surely need to make it cleaner yourself. Misses a lot of details, especially the regarding the top lid.

Attachments

• E22 Battery Intube.step.zip
    30.2 KB · Views: 189

HIDrive

Sep 7, 2022
PNW Washington
Really excited about this battery project, keep the updates coming! Does anyone have the chainring spider adaptor on green bike kit for $21? I already have the Christini version which is really nice but had I of known about this one I would have tried it first and saved a good chunk of $$$

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles