Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
That's what I made, but it kinda rough. Did it in F360 and you surely need to make it cleaner yourself. Misses a lot of details, especially the regarding the top lid.

Honestly even this is a great amount of help thanks man! I don't have a e22 in person to check stuff or even one ordered yet so having a model to check dimensions even if not perfect is great. Does this model stop at where the original battery would stop or does it go farther like how people have modded the inside to fit more cells? I also need to get myself acquainted with F360, I've only ever used tinkercad lol

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
So I came off my bike and properly beat myself up, as a result I've been out of action, feeling sorry for myself and and only started printing yesterday. 😭

12 hours later, this is where its at. I'm really pleased with the results so far and all seems to measure up nicely in terms of dimensions.
Both end-cap printed now :)
006.png
003.jpg

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Just got my Luna Z-1. Do most E22 frames have poor fitting battery covers? Mine seems a bit rough at the bottom and has a bit of a gap (only about 2mm but still). Luna Support's response was:

Wcb8qRI.jpg

hLg2EPn.jpg

Also the paint is a bit rough but that's a Luna thing not E22 specific. Trying to get them to at least tell me what touch-up paint is best to use on the scratches for color matching (it also has a ton of "swirls" all over the frame and "orange peel" on the battery cover but I'm not as concerned with that, just disappointed for $4500 USD). Doesn't seem like Luna Support cares to do much about it.

Nuq1WBn.jpg

fwrOHYz.jpg

I bought the Luna for the motor tune and paint job (I'm replacing literally every other component) but starting to think I probably should have just went for a basic E22 frame (hopefully the motor makes up for it).
I'm no expert, but from your photos, it looks like it's mainly damage to the clear coat...you could give that a light rub down and re-apply, or maybe even just buff out....

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
@Mirus
20220923_110142.jpg

message me for details! However, Your bikes going to look just like the one on the left in a matter of a few rides! But, if you like I can get measurements to figure out whether its your door thats to short or your frame opening thats to long! Mine fit a bit loose but it looks more like a nice even solid 1-1.5mm gap to me. Lastly heres me plugging my latest mediocre video!

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I found a slight amount of moisture the down tube after a few wet season rides and washes so now I leave the cover off while in the stand/charging as I do. OP's plate, while not a shining example is serviceable until a solution can be found. If it had a good overall seal on the perimeter that would help? Might not be a bad idea to put a silica cell in there or two.

The bit of battery rattle I noticed first few rides was taken care of by fitting a section of cardboard on the cover that seems to stay there just fine and dampens that problem.

RAW76

Jun 2, 2022
California
What Chainring Lockring would work on the e22?..I bought the Park Tool BBT-19.2 and the park tool lrt-2 and they don't work..

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I think it is just the standard 16pt one? That is what I got cheap off Amazon and it works fine. I chuck it into my impact driver.

Last edited:

RAW76

Jun 2, 2022
California
Just got my Luna Z-1. Do most E22 frames have poor fitting battery covers? Mine seems a bit rough at the bottom and has a bit of a gap (only about 2mm but still). Luna Support's response was:

Wcb8qRI.jpg

hLg2EPn.jpg

Also the paint is a bit rough but that's a Luna thing not E22 specific. Trying to get them to at least tell me what touch-up paint is best to use on the scratches for color matching (it also has a ton of "swirls" all over the frame and "orange peel" on the battery cover but I'm not as concerned with that, just disappointed for $4500 USD). Doesn't seem like Luna Support cares to do much about it.

Nuq1WBn.jpg

fwrOHYz.jpg

I bought the Luna for the motor tune and paint job (I'm replacing literally every other component) but starting to think I probably should have just went for a basic E22 frame (hopefully the motor makes up for it).
I like the galaxy look but hate their logos it's stands out too much that's why I bought frame & battery kit.

RAW76

Jun 2, 2022
California
Really excited about this battery project, keep the updates coming! Does anyone have the chainring spider adaptor on green bike kit for $21? I already have the Christini version which is really nice but had I of known about this one I would have tried it first and saved a good chunk of $$$
What Chainring size are you putting on your e22? I bought 38t chainring/spider adapter on ebay and I love it for my local trails with lots of climbing..

thelostjs

Jul 1, 2022
tn usa
BikeHand Bicycle Bottom Bracket Removal Crank Tool - Compatible with Shimano Hollowtech II 16-Notch 44mm External BB
1664006334354.png

<<lockring tool for chainring spider that i bought.

HIDrive

Sep 7, 2022
PNW Washington
I was just given the option to switch from a CANBUS to a UART M620 motor from CZ Victory and went for it! Hoping I made the right choice as it sounds like the UART protocol is far more tuneable!

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Check Alibaba that's where I got mine. It is the same cable the BBSHD Bafang uses as well. No need for the BESST tool, there are free templates available on the web. If you do some googling about it all will be revealed, that's what I did anyway.

HIDrive

Sep 7, 2022
PNW Washington
Got it sorted! I've ordered the cable and the software is squared away! I'm now looking at a few templates, what settings did you end up going with?

Daxxie

Jul 23, 2022
Belgium
What do you mean by being dangerous?

Yes Dangerous!

I'm not in the habit of bad-mouthing people or companies.
I think GBK is a great company, they deliver fast and have a lot of hard to get M620 parts!
I order from them on a regular basis.

But when they started offering batteries in 2019 I was curious.
And skeptical! The price of the battery was quite low so I was worried about the quality, fake cells, etc…

My plan from the beginning was to open the battery and:
- Check quality of build
- Capacity test the cells
- If necessary update connections with more nickel strips and bigger cables.

Here is what I found:

Packaging looked good.
gbk.jpg

1664442816250.jpeg

One of the screws of the battery case didn’t come out.
The tab was broken.
GBK1.jpg GBK2.jpg

Cells didn't have any insulators on top.
Sure you can build a battery without them but for me personally that is pretty scary.
These nickel strips are just 1mm away from a disaster.
GBK3.jpg

The positive wire was damaged
It was clamped against the charger port. Unacceptable.
GBK4.jpg

On the other side + and minus wires were not damaged but they are very tight pushed together and rubbing eachother.
Potentially dangerous.
GBK5.jpg GBK6.jpg

The spotwelds were very bad. Hardly penetrated the cells.
A light pull and the nickle came loose.

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

I took the battery apart and tested the cells.
They seem genuine Panasonic/Sanyo GA
IMG_2388.JPG

Made a new battery with these cells and it's still doing great today!
IMG_3703.JPG

Off course I contacted GBK. They agreed to send me a new battery casing (for the broken tab)
and promised me that they would improve their future battery's.
But if you watch their youtube channel ..... I don't see much improvement.

1664442724525.png

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Yes Dangerous!
......One of the screws of the battery case didn’t come out.
The tab was broken......Cells didn't have any insulators on top.
Sure you can build a battery without them but for me personally that is pretty scary.
These nickel strips are just 1mm away from a disaster.
The positive wire was damaged
It was clamped against the charger port. Unacceptable.
On the other side + and minus wires were not damaged but they are very tight pushed together and rubbing eachother.
Potentially dangerous.
The spotwelds were very bad. Hardly penetrated the cells.
A light pull and the nickle came loose.
Off course I contacted GBK. They agreed to send me a new battery casing (for the broken tab)
and promised me that they would improve their future battery's.
But if you watch their youtube channel ..... I don't see much improvement.

Thank you for posting such a detailed explanation and warning. This equates a total crap battery in my book. I had a client bring me a bike with a home made battery and like you found, the welds were too weak, nickel strips came off and damage ensued. luckily no fire. when i go on ESforums, many of the members seem to look down on people who dont build their own batteries as if they are stupid for not saving $$$ and diy. this attitude needs to change. there is a lot to know that goes into building a good, safe battery. Well worth paying for a well built battery unless it is something you plan to do for a living.

Zymurgist

Aug 19, 2022
San Jose, CA
Got it sorted! I've ordered the cable and the software is squared away! I'm now looking at a few templates, what settings did you end up going with?
I started with these and then tweaked a little after a couple of rides. The lower PAS settings are nice and smooth delivery and then get more assertive with PAS 4 and 5.

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
Looks Awesome man! Can you still install the original over on top of that? And do you have any plans to share the files? I also notice how it would be pretty easy for someone to modify the design to stick out of the frame but fit more cells....

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Looks Awesome man! Can you still install the original over on top of that? And do you have any plans to share the files? I also notice how it would be pretty easy for someone to modify the design to stick out of the frame but fit more cells....
Thanks dude, yep the cover still fits - the rebates on the long sides of the case allow for the lip. I guess you could modify it towards a pot-bellied design, for more cells, but it'll already hold 56x 21700 cells, so looking at 20Ah and 52v.

I'm not sure how I feel about sharing the STLs yet, it took me ages to design, its only V1 and not 100% right (I had to file a corner off to get it to fit!), plus some of the dimensions are so weird I'm not even convinced it'd fit in somebody else's frame! I'd defo be interested to get some dimensions from another frame and compare...

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
Thanks dude, yep the cover still fits - the rebates on the long sides of the case allow for the lip. I guess you could modify it towards a pot-bellied design, for more cells, but it'll already hold 56x 21700 cells, so looking at 20Ah and 52v.

I'm not sure how I feel about sharing the STLs yet, it took me ages to design, its only V1 and not 100% right (I had to file a corner off to get it to fit!), plus some of the dimensions are so weird I'm not even convinced it'd fit in somebody else's frame! I'd defo be interested to get some dimensions from another frame and compare...
I guess I'm more the type to go overkill and not need it all as a just in case than run out before a ride is over. Another reason I would want more cells though is that high discharge 5ah 21700's get expensive compared to the good old p42a. But I also want to run 72v if I did a build so need all the space / cells I can get.

Understood! It does look very nice though and way better than something I could design with my current skills. I wish I could get you those but I don't have a frame (yet maybe ;) ). But I wanted to make sure my battery plans would work and part of that is fitting a lot of cells. The more info that comes out about bigger batteries in the e22 the better!

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Could this be the ultimate wheelset for an Ultra bike?

I'll let you know in a few weeks.......
I've always been a fan of WTB. I run the WTB STI30s on both my E22 and E10 and they've held up well.
I'd be willing to give em a try after hearing your thoughts.
I'm definitely a fan of a 'no nonsense' wheelset 👍🏿

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Actually I'm pretty fine with my DT Swiss XM551. Made around 20.000km with my M620 with 3.5kw Innotrace X1. Using a Rohloff with 2.34mm DT Swiss Spokes. Very durable! I also do hard trail riding on my 34kg custom Haibike. Never had any issues with ripped spokes or broken flanges.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles