Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

Danny325is

Jan 3, 2021
NJ, USA
If I could get a large X1 right now I would, I would be surprised if the new X2 is less than $4500. no one can keep good e-bikes in stock. I have 3 people waiting to for me get a new bike so they can buy mine. My buddy is a Acoustic MTB snob and he rode my cheap fat tire hub motor bike and he is now shopping for an eMTB. I am going to pick up my Trek Rail 9.7 tomorrow I am so excited. I did really want a Bafang mid drive, but it is hard to find one in a good frame. the Trek should have good resale value. Depending how Rob's build goes I might have to find a way to import one.

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
Another quick ride today. Only 15 mins, nothing technical.

Bafang M500 Motor

So far its pretty impressive:
  • Motor is smooth and progressive in delivering the power, pretty instantly engaging and assisting
  • Seems like there's not as much 'instant kick' power as Bosch, takes a couple of revolutions to really punch, perhaps having a more natural feeling
  • Once you get going it feels like a nice chunk of power, between 5-15 mph it really pulls
  • Very very quiet on load under full power. Not tested on rough stuff yet to see what its like under coasting / unloaded noise
  • Instant engagement from the motor / zero crank play before engagement
View attachment 48345

Dengfu E10 Frame

Feels pretty good so far but early days. At the moment I'm just making sure it is set up correctly rather than focussing on performance aspect. With the 170mm travel / 155mm rear its super plush as you'd expect.

View attachment 48342

Again, frame is totally silent, no creaks, knocking or noises. I already added some really thin (1mm) 3M rubber tape on each side of the battery compartment to reduce any battery rattles, as well as on the underside of the battery cover itself. I also filled some parts of the frame with bubble wrap to reduce any cable slap inside.

View attachment 48343

Some Stats / Geometry on my setup
  • 505mm Reach
  • 63.8 degree head angle with the RockShox 170mm Zeb
  • 29er front, 27.5 rear
  • 455mm chain stay
  • 348mm BB height
  • 24.5KG
View attachment 48346

Got to say so far I'm pretty impressed. Although I have only been riding around paved stuff. But I have a feeling it's going to be a proper capable enduro ebike.

Things to do:
  • Fix display to the 35mm bar. Bafang display is setup for a 31.8mm bar, clamp is too small
  • Get a longer cable between the remote control and display. Its too short
  • Find 2x bolts to fix the bash guard
  • Sort out chain length. 116 link chain seems to short (I think its a 40t chain ring)
  • Try with 29er wheels front and rear and 160mm fork, offset bushings in the RockShox Super Deluxe to drop BB
  • Ride some actual trails
WOW!!!! Impressive

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Until Rob is able to post I can perhaps a little as I have been looking at new 'take off' forks and from what I can see the Head tube is 11cm long on the E10. Maybe you can check your current bike's specs. The forks I had found were 10.5cm so not sure they will work :(
I built mine from old components that I had laying around, anything brake post mount fits, but 180mm min rotor at the back, do buy the headset from the factory, it fits the frame well. I had an 2017 140mm 29er Manitou Magnum fork which also just barely fits as the fork brace is on the backside, 170mm steerer tube is long enough. All the other components I had were Shimano 10spd XT and the rear derailleur fits the 46T rear sprocket without the need of a Goat Link. The rear is Boost and do buy the spindle from Dengfu, its half the price and good quality. 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nics fit in easily with loads of clearance

Easy frame to fit all the lines through, everything seems to have a hole or space to fit. Good quality frame, almost overbuilt in my opinion and very stiff. Not sure I concur with Rob about having "too stiff" carbon frames, sure on a hardtail but this is a suspension frame. If the frame is supple you can never get your shocks working correctly. If you are needing to have both shocks and frame working in tandem then perhaps the shocks are not doing what they are meant to do. Stiff chassis are good.

Lucky Pete

Nov 24, 2020
Hakuba Japan
I built mine from old components that I had laying around, anything brake post mount fits, but 180mm min rotor at the back, do buy the headset from the factory, it fits the frame well. I had an 2017 140mm 29er Manitou Magnum fork which also just barely fits as the fork brace is on the backside, 170mm steerer tube is long enough. All the other components I had were Shimano 10spd XT and the rear derailleur fits the 46T rear sprocket without the need of a Goat Link. The rear is Boost and do buy the spindle from Dengfu, its half the price and good quality. 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nics fit in easily with loads of clearance

Easy frame to fit all the lines through, everything seems to have a hole or space to fit. Good quality frame, almost overbuilt in my opinion and very stiff. Not sure I concur with Rob about having "too stiff" carbon frames, sure on a hardtail but this is a suspension frame. If the frame is supple you can never get your shocks working correctly. If you are needing to have both shocks and frame working in tandem then perhaps the shocks are not doing what they are meant to do. Stiff chassis are good.
Thanks! Great info that is very much appreciated. Im starting from scratch as no parts laying around, hard not to keep looking at the next level up on suspension etc :).

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Thanks! Great info that is very much appreciated. Im starting from scratch as no parts laying around, hard not to keep looking at the next level up on suspension etc :).
I've never been one to buy the latest and greatest, I tend to buy mid range ( basically the top line of two years previous ) for the Ebikes as they tend to be steel gears and harder wearing chains, which seem to take better to the extra loads the motors put on them and stand up to the UK muddy conditions.

Not sure my riding ability would ever be able to decipher whether the next level up suspension would make a lot of difference and thus tend to follow Ebay's / Pinkbikes bargains of last years fashion cast offs. My Manitou fork was absolutely mint and looked like it had hardly been used, I paid just over £100.00 to my door. I had all Hope brakes and hubs which never seem to wear out nor need any care other than bearings every few years on a hard tail, along with all the XT bits and saddles etc, it wasn't being ridden, so a great donor bike and even got £ 30.00 notes for the frame. Dropper post was on Santa's list, anybody want a 31.6mm carbon post ?

If your hubs are not Boost then the small adaptors you can get work a treat, maybe not as stiff as a wider boost hub but again, I'm not that rider who needs the latest.

Cheap Cheeb at less than £ 1200.00 :)

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
The M600 is slightly wider (though uses the same mounting holes), I'm not sure if this also corresponds to a wider Q-factor which might be relevant for some riders. @Animalector ???
Sorry mate, I wasn't getting email updates which I thought strange.
No.. the Q factor is the same, (I should measure to make sure).. but the stator housing is closer to the inside of the crank arm on the M600... less clearance... now time to read the 3 pages I missed.

mes93

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
If you want to buy a similar bike, check out tosabikes.com

They also sell motors M500/M600, dengfu battery and frames. The price is similar and they have a lot in stock.
They can uptade motor software and change usseles PAS 1-3. It is a good option for Bafang motors users.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I also got quoted the higher price of £1860.

Due to recent custom tariff changes, one thing to note is that the frame, motor and battery may be eligible for VAT upon entry into the UK. I don't think it is exempt from the tariff free trade negotiated in the latest Brexit agreement as the goods are not manufactured in the EU. Prior to Brexit, I think Dengfu used to ship through the EU and prepay the EU VAT tax, and then the goods entered the UK without customs duty. I am not sure how they are doing it now.

If VAT is applied upon entry into the UK, 20% of £1860 is an additional ~£360 without the customs handling charge (I think this is usually ~£15), so a total of ~£2200?. Still a great price, but the additional costs may be worth considering!

I'm in contact with Tony from Dengfu on this - will update you all when I get more information.

In theory if Dengfu have adopted the latest customs duty regime, that of the VAT should be added at the sales source before dispatch, then is that the price rise we are seeing from 680 to just over 800 ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you want to buy a similar bike, check out tosabikes.com

They also sell motors M500/M600, dengfu battery and frames. The price is similar and they have a lot in stock.
They can uptade motor software and change usseles PAS 1-3. It is a good option for Bafang motors users.
Starting at €3385 !!! 23kg , but with M600 in default spec.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apologies guys, am I missing something with trying to find the pricing online?
I think you have to contact them for pricing.

There are several other Chinese based companies who do carbon e-bike frames .. this one for instance does bafang, shimano and polini ones, be interesting to make a Polini one :

Or Shimano & Bafang :

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles