Bafang M500 and M600 motors

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Do those fit? These are the ones I currently have. Which were in stock at Holland Bike Shop, but not they only have right cranks. Grrrr.
Actually relooking at the ones I have shown for the 510 motor ( its a larger brother to the M600 with 160Nm of torque ) those pedals don't seem to have any way of locking the pedal to the crank like the ones we have, is it a different configuration ?

Kucko

Oct 23, 2021
Slovakia

JCAF

Oct 8, 2021
Chile
Range Extender from Vola Bikes compatible for Bafang M 600 in E-11 carbon frame (ICAN Cycles). From 600 WH battery to 852 WH (extender 252 WH). Same extender use for Shimano E8000

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 21.09.39 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 21.09.39.jpeg

Reactions: rtp

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Interesting vid discussing the M600 motor. It talks in details about the cadence bias and fast ramp up of the power and probably backs up my initial thoughts of how the torque sensing works.

Sadly if only we could play around with the bias to suit our own requirements, it would be a pretty robust and mechanically sound engine with just tad bit of porkiness about it.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Range Extender from Vola Bikes compatible for Bafang M 600 in E-11 carbon frame (ICAN Cycles). From 600 WH battery to 852 WH (extender 252 WH). Same extender use for Shimano E8000

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233
Interesting! Is there a BMS included to balance the voltage between the 2 batteries? Or do You need to unplug the frame battery before connecting the range extender? Is it available with the connector on the picture, or DIY solution?

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
@Kucko these came up in a search today. Look right, and very cheap. Unfortunately still 170mm but plenty of space to be shortened.

£11.50 21%OFF | Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Crank Arm 170MM Crankset Mountain Road E-Bike Motor Hole Crank Electric Bike Conversion Kit Accessories

I've ordered some, along with a set of pedal taps. Not quite sure what size drill I need to make the initial holes, any ideas?

Last edited:

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
@Kucko these came up in a search today. Look right, and very cheap. Unfortunately still 170mm but plenty of space to be shortened.

£11.50 21%OFF | Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Crank Arm 170MM Crankset Mountain Road E-Bike Motor Hole Crank Electric Bike Conversion Kit Accessories

I've ordered some, along with a set of pedal taps. Not quite sure what size drill I need to make the initial holes, any ideas?
33/64" according to parktools recommendation.

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland

I’m very sorry to tell you these don’t fit m600. The crank wil hit the engineblock on the left hand. For m500 there is no problem. I can tell out of own experience

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I’m very sorry to tell you these don’t fit m600. The crank wil hit the engineblock on the left hand. For m500 there is no problem. I can tell out of own experience
? i have the two and they have the same crank arms ? ok. the link don't propose the original crank arms. i speaking about the OEM cranks

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Ah balls! Can this be resolved by "tuning" (read filing) the crank, or is it an insurmountable problem?

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
You could grind were it hits but it wil make it a little more prone to flexing I’m afraid. I chose not to do that and sold them with my m500 engine.

the crankset you bought is less wide as the standard m500/600 set. That’s why it’s touching the engine.
Can’t you stop the order at AliExpress? You can do that as long as they didn’t ship it.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Eeek. Ah well, given that I'm bound to cock up the first foreshortening I attempt then I'm not too shy of a bit of filing. I'm also lucky enough to have access to a pretty decent engineering shop so will be able to get the cranks blasted and refinished once I'm done.

GandalfR

Mar 22, 2021
Germany
I have the same device. Asked for distributor of BAFANG for codes.

View attachment 78234
Hi guys,

Still having problems with my M600... I've now been sent the BESST tool (without a login) to be able to calibrate the new controller they sent me, which should hopefully get rid of the violent shuddering at least. Does anyone know if there's a generic login (for example the login details above)? This has been going on for such a long time I'm half toying with the idea of sending the motor to Bafang to be checked over (although I've now probably ruined my warranty thanks to Dengfu advising me to change my controller :love:). Either that or I'll have to just buy a new motor and sensor and hope it fixes the problem...

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Watching...
I also have the BEEST tool and contacted Bafang 3 weeks ago through their website, but still no sign of a login.... :confused:

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
@GandalfR @Sheff73 it's dead easy to bypass the BESST login screens and gain full access to the tool. There's a webpage all about it here.

In short:

1) Download and install Python3
2) Install the simplejson package using pip (sounds hard but isn't, just google it and follow the instructions).
3) Download the loginbypass.py script from the page I linked above.
4) Edit your host* file and add "test.api.besst.bafang-service.com 127.0.0.1" to the end of it (no quotes).
5) Run the loginbypass script.
6) Open the BESST app
7) Put anything you like in the username and password fields.

Assuming you're on Windows, this will be in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc and will be a file called "hosts" with no extension. You'll need to edit it in administrator mode - the easiest way is to run a command prompt window as administrator and then type "notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" alternatively Google this one too, there will be loads of guides on how to edit your hosts file.

Note: nearly forgot, the page I linked mentions installing a package called socketserver also. You don't need this.

Last edited:

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
On another note, the cheap aliexpress cranks linked a few posts above arrived today, and as @Sandur-Rx suggested, they don't quite fit on the left hand side.

I don't think it's quite as bad as suggested though. Here's the clearance between the crank end and the motor:

IMG_20220105_152243.jpg

IMG_20220105_151928.jpg

Not exactly spacious, but rotates just fine. Here's the more problematic area:

IMG_20220105_151936.jpg

Oops, might have slightly scratched that logo....

Here's the root cause:

IMG_20220105_152419.jpg

That's with the 'pedal ends' lined up and the new cranks on the left. Basically that round shouldery bit at the top of this image is about 3mm too short on the new cranks. So options are:

1) Get filing. Not too big a deal as shortening the cranks is going to require refinishing them anyway, but annoying nonetheless.
2) Extend that shoulder in order to make the crank sit a little prouder from the frame.

Might get the 3D printer on the case. Possibly ill-advised, but appears mechanically.....ok....I think....

Oh and here's a template that roughly shows the length adaptation that I plan to make to the crank:

IMG_20220105_140243.jpg

This will subtract about 25mm from the overall length which would give a 145mm crank. I suspect I could fairly easily get to 150mm by reducing the 'meat' at the crank tip. Not sure whether a longer or meatier crank is more desirable though....

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
@GandalfR @Sheff73 it's dead easy to bypass the BESST login screens and gain full access to the tool. There's a webpage all about it here.

In short:

1) Download and install Python3
2) Install the simplejson package using pip (sounds hard but isn't, just google it and follow the instructions).
3) Download the loginbypass.py script from the page I linked above.
4) Edit your host* file and add "test.api.besst.bafang-service.com 127.0.0.1" to the end of it (no quotes).
5) Run the loginbypass script.
6) Open the BESST app
7) Put anything you like in the username and password fields.

Assuming you're on Windows, this will be in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc and will be a file called "hosts" with no extension. You'll need to edit it in administrator mode - the easiest way is to run a command prompt window as administrator and then type "notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" alternatively Google this one too, there will be loads of guides on how to edit your hosts file.

Note: nearly forgot, the page I linked mentions installing a package called socketserver also. You don't need this.

Thanks for the link and walkthrough Hagbard :)
I'll have a go at some point this week.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
This could already be answered but the M620 cranks are a standard ISIS and the M600 are a non-standard. Paging @rtp to the crank hotline as he sourced some 150's for his M600.

I on the other hand have the former and got some Miranda 155's easily and cheaply enough. After fitting them I found that they are a very significant improvement over the stock 170's in that while they offer less chance of strikes they also interact much better with the Bafang PAS combo of cadence/torque sensing. In fact I am even considering sacrificing my stock cranks and making them 140's just to see if even shorter makes any difference in pedaling efficiency. It will further insulate against strikes also but let's face it paying attention to the trail is the best defense.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
On another note, the cheap aliexpress cranks linked a few posts above arrived today, and as @Sandur-Rx suggested, they don't quite fit on the left hand side.

I don't think it's quite as bad as suggested though. Here's the clearance between the crank end and the motor:

View attachment 79370

View attachment 79371

Not exactly spacious, but rotates just fine. Here's the more problematic area:

View attachment 79372

Oops, might have slightly scratched that logo....

Here's the root cause:

View attachment 79373

That's with the 'pedal ends' lined up and the new cranks on the left. Basically that round shouldery bit at the top of this image is about 3mm too short on the new cranks. So options are:

1) Get filing. Not too big a deal as shortening the cranks is going to require refinishing them anyway, but annoying nonetheless.
2) Extend that shoulder in order to make the crank sit a little prouder from the frame.

Might get the 3D printer on the case. Possibly ill-advised, but appears mechanically.....ok....I think....

Oh and here's a template that roughly shows the length adaptation that I plan to make to the crank:

View attachment 79374

This will subtract about 25mm from the overall length which would give a 145mm crank. I suspect I could fairly easily get to 150mm by reducing the 'meat' at the crank tip. Not sure whether a longer or meatier crank is more desirable though....

I bought the same set of crank arms a while ago and found out the hard way that they don't fit the M600 (even though they're advertised as fitting!).

On a side note - I was clouting the pedals all the time when the bike was setup 'mullet' but now I've gone 29" front and back the issue has pretty much gone away... its obviously true what they say - the extra inch makes all the difference! 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles