Bafang M500 and M600 motors

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Hmm, where you saw 1200W ? Max i saw in M500 on M600 firmware was around 990W.
I think the poster was talking M600 rather than M500 ? My M600 motor running a 52 volt battery will give if the App data is correct just under 22 amps, which mine will momentarily pull. 58volts x 22 = 1276 Approx.

The display I have has the W’s display so small as to be useless from anything other than an elbow length, but the App will display as an analogue 1Kw and you can pull it into max readout pretty easily. You can also display amps from where I’m getting the 21.9A I have seen. Even at 20 amps is approximately just under 1.2Kw

So at a fully charged 48 volt battery ( 52.4 ) can we expect around 52.4 x 21.9 = 1150 W’s but that is so dependent on uncalibrated displays and firmwares. Next time I’m out I will put a reasonably accurate logger I have on it and report back.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
M600 is 48V, its running on 18Amps, it means 54.6V (fully charged) * 18A = 983W.
For 43V its 20A and its mean 50.4V*20A=1008W
For 36V its 25A and its mean 42V*25A=1050W

M500 is different case, by the default 36V version is on 15 Amps and recent one on 17Amps. The 48V is by the default on 10A and we have version for 13A what means on fully charged:
for 36V: 42V*15A=630W or 42V*17A=714W
for 48V: 54.6V*10A=546W or 54.6*13A=710W

There is also 43V M500 but i do not know the Amperage for it.

Last edited:

Eclipse MTB

Aug 31, 2021
USA
Can anyone with either of these motors tell me if you have pedal creep? I’m shocked when I noticed a couple of weeks back, that if I rest my foot on the pedal when it’s between 2-4 o’clock while at stop/standing still, the pedal moves down ever so slightly without the bike moving at all.

I’m not sure if there’s a problem with the torque sensor body. Anybody else have this issue?

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
M600 is 48V, its running on 18Amps, it means 54.6V (fully charged) * 18A = 983W.
For 43V its 20A and its mean 50.4V*20A=1008W
For 36V its 25A and its mean 42V*25A=1050W

M500 is different case, by the default 36V version is on 15 Amps and recent one on 17Amps. The 48V is by the default on 10A and we have version for 13A what means on fully charged:
for 36V: 42V*15A=630W or 42V*17A=714W
for 48V: 54.6V*10A=546W or 54.6*13A=710W

There is also 43V M500 but i do not know the Amperage for it.
You can run on 52v if you limit charge to 58v (on the top of my head), which is 58*22=1276 ;-)

GandalfR

Mar 22, 2021
Germany
...So I went out over the weekend and unfortunately the issue still remains. It's marginally better, in that it doesn't occur quite so often, but it's still a real issue. I've already switched out the sensor bolt to non-magnetic so that wasn't a fix for me. I've sent some more information over to Bafang and Melody and I'll wait to hear what they say...
Hi all,

Just an update on my situation and experience so far with the M600. I've had a problem where the display shows the incorrect speed. Mainly when pedalling up steep inclines, which leads to the motor showing that I'm riding at 60km/h (or similar) and the pedal assist cutting out. I sent my original message at the beginning of June, Melody got back to me and said Bafang had advised that I need a new motor and I would have to pay for shipping (circa 100$). I need to wait until Dengfu receive the motor and then they'll forward it to me.

On the 12th of August I got another message from Melody saying, Bafang have said I need a new controller (motherboard inside the motor type thing) and not a whole new motor. I no longer need to pay shipping.

The new controller arrived on the 18th of August and due to weather / lack of time I wasn't able to install the controller for a week or two. I installed the new controller and it's actually made the problem a lot worse. Not only does the pedal assist cut out more often, but there's also a very violent 'shuddering' that happens when I start to pedal or when I use the throttle. It's currently unusable and quite frankly dangerous. I also seem to notice the battery doesn't last as long, but I've only been out a couple of times so I may be imagining that.

I've message Melody again a couple of times and she's assured me that Bafang are analysing the issue and she'll get back to me.

The saga continues...

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
Hi all,

Just an update on my situation and experience so far with the M600. I've had a problem where the display shows the incorrect speed. Mainly when pedalling up steep inclines, which leads to the motor showing that I'm riding at 60km/h (or similar) and the pedal assist cutting out. I sent my original message at the beginning of June, Melody got back to me and said Bafang had advised that I need a new motor and I would have to pay for shipping (circa 100$). I need to wait until Dengfu receive the motor and then they'll forward it to me.

On the 12th of August I got another message from Melody saying, Bafang have said I need a new controller (motherboard inside the motor type thing) and not a whole new motor. I no longer need to pay shipping.

The new controller arrived on the 18th of August and due to weather / lack of time I wasn't able to install the controller for a week or two. I installed the new controller and it's actually made the problem a lot worse. Not only does the pedal assist cut out more often, but there's also a very violent 'shuddering' that happens when I start to pedal or when I use the throttle. It's currently unusable and quite frankly dangerous. I also seem to notice the battery doesn't last as long, but I've only been out a couple of times so I may be imagining that.

I've message Melody again a couple of times and she's assured me that Bafang are analysing the issue and she'll get back to me.

The saga continues...
Had similar issue and simply moved the sensor detector which resolved that issue

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
I hv replaced the magnet with a cheap plastic type and works so much better. The original one is too close to the receiver. You need at least 10 to 14mm gap.
Also the position of the magnet receiver unit (on the frame)is critical and by just moving that unit a cm makes a massive differnce.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
Also the position of the magnet receiver unit (on the frame)is critical and by just moving that unit a cm makes a massive differnce.
Dun think you can move it forward, aft, up or down..only rotate..as the bolt is in a fix position. But you are right it needs to be absolutely level.

GandalfR

Mar 22, 2021
Germany
I hv replaced the magnet with a cheap plastic type and works so much better. The original one is too close to the receiver. You need at least 10 to 14mm gap.

A few people have suggested this is the problem and I've spent hours trying different permutations of magnet placement, different screws, distance between sensor and magnet. I'm pretty certain the problem I have is deeper than this, but I'll try again. What do you mean by cheap plastic magnet? Could you send me a link to what you mean please. I'd be most grateful.

It also seems the violent shuddering is as was mentioned above, due to the lack of calibration after a controller change. I don't have the BESST tool or a login, so I'd need to send my motor to Poland for it to be calibrated. Does anyone know if I were to change the controller back to the original, would it still need calibrating?

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
A few people have suggested this is the problem and I've spent hours trying different permutations of magnet placement, different screws, distance between sensor and magnet. I'm pretty certain the problem I have is deeper than this, but I'll try again. What do you mean by cheap plastic magnet? Could you send me a link to what you mean please. I'd be most grateful.

It also seems the violent shuddering is as was mentioned above, due to the lack of calibration after a controller change. I don't have the BESST tool or a login, so I'd need to send my motor to Poland for it to be calibrated. Does anyone know if I were to change the controller back to the original, would it still need calibrating?

Screenshot_20211013-195600.png

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

the calibration need to be done with the controller installed on the motor. If you have a doubt on your initial controller, why you want to reinstall it ? May be the failure come from other items (sensor/wire/connectors ?). We are several to have had this false speed mesuring (with M600 only it seems ?), everybody have solve it with different action around sensor, may be it is only one more time one problem of connectors insertion ? may be it is your printed circuit who support the connectors in the motor ? If you return the complete motor to service center, they could solve your problem.

GandalfR

Mar 22, 2021
Germany
Thanks for the photo @dvng

Since this new controller has only made the problem worse, I figured I can install the original controller and hopefully get rid of the shuddering that occurs without having to calibrate. I have messed around with position of the magnet, sensor and types of screw for hours on end, which makes me think that my problem, although similar in symptom, is caused by something else. That said, I'm going to try the magnet that @dvng recommended above and see if that helps.

Perhaps, the solution is to send it to the service centre in Poland and see what they have to say.

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
You need little computer skill to set up a bafang BESST login. The BESST tool is +- 150 euro. From then it wil be possible to also alter max speed and update firmware yourself. But it wil be a qamble if calibration wil fix your problem.

If you ship it to Poland. Make sure you discuss the case clearly before you do. Bafang could say it’s no guarantee because you swapped the controller by yourself. Would not be nice if they charge you big money afterhand that you did not count on.

markvanhaze77

Jun 14, 2021
GB
I am having a weird issue on my M600 and before I take it apart, I just wanted to ask if anybody had a similar problem. Sometimes when switching from 0 to 1 or back on the power settings, I have no engagement of the pedals whatsoever. Its as if the clutch did not engage and im just spinning the cranks without any connection to the chain.

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Running a 52 volt battery ( 58.4 volts fully charged ) and had been advised that the M600 would throw up an over volt error code if the voltage was over 58 volts. I had been simply discharging the battery for a couple of minutes and fitting it at or around 58 volts. Yesterday I forgot to discharge it and fitted it, no error codes and working as normal. I'll report back in a couple of weeks of fitting a fully charged battery. (y)

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Running a 52 volt battery ( 58.4 volts fully charged ) and had been advised that the M600 would throw up an over volt error code if the voltage was over 58 volts. I had been simply discharging the battery for a couple of minutes and fitting it at or around 58 volts. Yesterday I forgot to discharge it and fitted it, no error codes and working as normal. I'll report back in a couple of weeks of fitting a fully charged battery. (y)

I've had the same experience. No problems being slightly over 58v.

Baja Rick

Oct 25, 2021
Baja California Sur, Mexico
So I just finished building and riding my new Cheeb withM600 motor. I have owned a Shimano E8000 for several years and I am right now disappointed with the M600 by comparison. The M600 seems to provide too much power when I do not want it , and not enough when I do. The Shimano and a Bosch I tested today both seem to respond to my pressure input and deliver back some extra power when I really load up the system with pedal pressure and slow down the cadence a bit. The M600 seems to rely primarily on cadence to deliver its power, so I need to get in a very low gear at times to maintain high cadence and then when I clear the tough spot, the motor surges and provides too much. Is there a way to modify the programming to help deal with this issue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles