2024 Strive:ON

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
For those interested in a Strive On Underdog.

I ordered one twice and both looked like the paint was flawed.

According to Canyon, however, this must be so because it is carbon structures that remain deliberately visible.

Personally, I would find completely black honestly more beautiful, but that is probably a matter of taste.

Here is the statement from Canyon:

"Hi Marc,

thank you for the chat with my colleagues from 01.09.2023.

Please excuse, the misunderstandings regarding your chosen frame color Stealth.

The visible irregularities in the paint of your bike are not due to poor workmanship or damage. On the contrary, the effect is intentional and makes each bike unique.

With a "Raw" surface finish, like that of our bikes in the color "Stealth", we use a transparent layer of paint. Through this transparent varnish, the carbon fiber remains visible. The structure of the carbon fiber is naturally irregular. Even our most expensive and highest quality bikes have such a carbon structure. When you run your fingertips over the pattern, you'll notice that it feels flawless.

For more information on carbon frame finishes, click here.

Hopefully you like the unique look of your Strive:ON as much as we do. In the unfortunate event that you don't, I'm linking you to our returns page here for completeness."

The canyon support, however, I must expressly praise at this point. Always friendly and helpful. Short waiting times for chat / phone. With mails it takes a little longer, but still within the framework ...
I’m a fan of the raw look. Invisisframe covers most of it but I like the look when it pops in the sunshine. Probably saves a bit of weight too

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Typical ebiker.. ;)😂
Funny you should say that - I never really got the ebike hate until I rode one. One week I had my acoustic bike and was dying trying to ride up a long hill, so ended up walking and pushing the bike.

A few weeks later I returned with a Levo Alloy that I borrowed/rented from a local shop. Another biker was riding slowly up the same hill and I just put the Levo in Turbo and blasted past him at several times his speed with a massive grin on my face, reaching the top of the hill with a raised pulse, but on the bike pedalling, instead of exhausted and pushing.

That was the point I knew I had to have one, and also the light bulb moment where I was like "ah, this is why the acoustic guys hate the ebike guys!" 🤣

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funny you should say that - I never really got the ebike hate until I rode one. One week I had my acoustic bike and was dying trying to ride up a long hill, so ended up walking and pushing the bike.

A few weeks later I returned with a Levo Alloy that I borrowed/rented from a local shop. Another biker was riding slowly up the same hill and I just put the Levo in Turbo and blasted past him at several times his speed with a massive grin on my face, reaching the top of the hill with a raised pulse, but on the bike pedalling, instead of exhausted and pushing.

That was the point I knew I had to have one, and also the light bulb moment where I was like "ah, this is why the acoustic guys hate the ebike guys!" 🤣

When im on my normal bike i always act like i ain't got a ebike, then when im on my ebike i turbo past everyone on climbs :ROFLMAO: i like the variety of playing both sides.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
When im on my normal bike i always act like i ain't got a ebike, then when im on my ebike i turbo past everyone on climbs :ROFLMAO: i like the variety of playing both sides.
Hah! "Those guys suck" then goes home to polish his ebike.... 🤣

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Since getting an e-bike I can’t enjoy enjoy a normal mtb, feels like I’m riding on sand😂 road bike still feels good. Well, as good as a road bike can feel

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Since getting an e-bike I can’t enjoy enjoy a normal mtb, feels like I’m riding on sand😂 road bike still feels good. Well, as good as a road bike can feel
I just remember as a kid (when I was much fitter) hating the climbs, but it was a means to an end because you needed to go up to have the fun of coming back down.

Now having a technology to make the climbs fun and reduce that exhaustion is just amazing. Everyone hates ebikes, right up to the point that they ride one. 🤣

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
I need to watch your review later, as this looks very interesting to me. Anything further to add? And how easy would it be to add a Kiox to this? I asked Canyon, but I get the feeling they don't really know, as they didn't offer much info.

Shame the CFR only comes in one colour though. Not sure how I feel about the green.
Careful, I watched it on Monday and my Strive:On has been shipped this afternoon...!!

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, the new strive on cfr Is very attractive and could be my next e-bike, this week I was on holiday in Massa Marittima in Tuscany and I was able to rent for a day a strive on cfr size small, I'm 165 cm and I liked it a lot, the only limitation that the bike service guys told me is that the battery on the small frame is only 625 wh, while on the canyon website it allows me the two options 625 or 750 wh, I ask anyone who has a small for info, thanks.

GravityDT

Aug 19, 2023
USA
Fingers still crossed we might see something here in the US this month. Getting ready to pull the trigger on an emtb and I can’t wait much longer

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Hi everyone, the new strive on cfr Is very attractive and could be my next e-bike, this week I was on holiday in Massa Marittima in Tuscany and I was able to rent for a day a strive on cfr size small, I'm 165 cm and I liked it a lot, the only limitation that the bike service guys told me is that the battery on the small frame is only 625 wh, while on the canyon website it allows me the two options 625 or 750 wh, I ask anyone who has a small for info, thanks.
I ordered a small with 750wh Battery. Should be possible. Not arrived yet though. Eta end of October

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Yeah, I agree the colors could maybe be a bit more exciting, but it feels like it's almost a trademark for Canyon at this point to mostly have dull colors, however, it will be fun to see how it looks in the real world, the color seems to vary a bit on the photos, but i already know i prefer it over all black or all white.

Is it possible to mount a display? I think i will skip it though just to keep the cockpit as clean as possible, but i guess it's neat to have if you want additional info. :)
I dunno, a mate of mine has a Spectral on in light grey and Marlboro McLaren day glow orange.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
Put down an order on the Strive On CFR yesterday, it was between this or the new Orbea Wild, but i don't really have any Orbea dealers around, so i went with this instead. It tick most of the boxes for me and i actually think it's one of the better looking full fat >700wh bikes out there.
I had same battle on which one, went with the Strive. I like the battery choices as a wealthy mate has 4 of varying sizes :) but the mullet was what closed it for me, just sounded epic on Rob's reviews.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
What is the difference strive on and wild when you try it?
Sensation, confort ?
I am very interested by ours felt?
I've not tried the Strive, but it just sounded so good on Rob's review and I have a similar preference to how he likes his bikes to ride, based on the reviews I've watched vs bike I have tried. The Orbed is beautiful and is great to ride, I like the frame design esp, but the mullet set-up and the "in the zone" feeling that Rob got from the Strive did it for me. A mate have a Spectral and loves it. He's quicker than I am down hill and that can't be him right?!! :-D

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No doubt the Strive is a very capable bike but I wonder if part of the reason Rob liked it so much is its rather unusual sizing. Rob usually rides xl sizing and watching his video the bike looks small......and riding one size smaller bike downhill usually makes everything feel more controlled but at the same time more lively. So maybe the key thing with this bike is picking the right size. I am 183cm but with long legs and relatively shorter torso. After studying the geo I think I would need to go for medium whereas all my previous and existing bikes have been size large.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
No doubt the Strive is a very capable bike but I wonder if part of the reason Rob liked it so much is its rather unusual sizing. Rob usually rides xl sizing and watching his video the bike looks small......and riding one size smaller bike downhill usually makes everything feel more controlled but at the same time more lively. So maybe the key thing with this bike is picking the right size. I am 183cm but with long legs and relatively shorter torso. After studying the geo I think I would need to go for medium whereas all my previous and existing bikes have been size large.
But that's just a letter. Its the same as an XL, just they're coming up smaller, no? Same as you'd be an XL in one brand of T-shirt, then L in another... It sounds to me like the geometry is more like the magic dust... If you have long leavers it might be that L is more like it as your reach will be long...?? Either way their size widget asks inside leg, not just height.

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
I'm very similar, 184cm tall with long legs and shorter torso and my Strive:On in Large feels perfect to me. I think the medium would've been too small.
I think different manufacturers take their measurements differently as I've got an Orange Stage 6 that is supposed to have a reach of 484mm but is actually a little bit long at the front than my Canyon.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
But that's just a letter. Its the same as an XL, just they're coming up smaller, no? Same as you'd be an XL in one brand of T-shirt, then L in another... It sounds to me like the geometry is more like the magic dust... If you have long leavers it might be that L is more like it as your reach will be long...?? Either way their size widget asks inside leg, not just height.
on a gravity oriented bike I am really not interested in how the bike fits sat on the saddle..........in fact I am not bothered a bout that on either of my existing bikes even for trail riding. I find it less important on an EMTB. Interesting that @S1mmo is very similar body shape/size to me and finds the large the right choice for him.
I am not interested in buying a Strive at the moment but it is certainly an option next year once I see more feedback on reliability and a proper fix for the battery latch problem some are experiencing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles