Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
108 tooth free hub upgrade kit. Goes in this week.
20210516_204952.jpg

EuanS2

Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Rail 7 Upgrades so far

Kiox Controller.
Lyrik internals.
170mm air shaft.
Michelin EWilds 2.6.
Rapid drive 108 conversion.
Hope Tech 3 v4/e4 brakes with 220/203 rotors.
Fox Transfer 175 seat post with OneUp leaver.
Ergon saddle and Grips.
OneUp 35mm stem and 35mm rise OneUp carbon bars.
OneUp EDC tools in the stem (2021 version)
Invisiframe.
RRP mudguards.
Custom decals on Fork and wheels.

Some of the most important mods I’ve done are tidying up the cables, stopping them rattling and weather proofing the battery housing and the rear pivot area

925E9BB2-D4BE-43A2-84AC-CFD4BEF89BD6.jpeg

Last edited:

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I notice the lag of engaement in the motor, not really in the rear hub. Is it that noticeable? Seems a cheap upgrade anyway.
It is very noticeable, I would say especially so on an eeb because of the slight lag at the motor. 3 pawls gives 54 points of engagement whereas 6 pawls you have 108. I think from memory this translates to just 3° of freeplay with the 6 pawl upgrade vs 6° with the standard 3 pawls. It doesn't sound like a lot but you'll definitely notice the difference

Busterchops

May 10, 2021
Colorado
Just ordered the bontrager carbon line pros! Supposedly the fronts are in stock and the rears are 2-4 weeks out. Rears come stock with the 108 hub. Lots of options but but would appreciate some suggestions for tires that match the rims? Mostly riding game trails in the back country of Colorado.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Lots of options but but would appreciate some suggestions for tires that match the rims? Mostly riding game trails in the back country of Colorado.
Everyone has their own preference for tyres, you really have to try a few and see what works best for the terrain you ride. I run Maxxis Assegai front and either Maxxis Dissector or Aggressor rear. Get the heavier Double Down casing, heaps of support even at lower pressures, assuming you're setting up tubeless. The Aggressor is a bit faster rolling and harder wearing than the Dissector, so probably gives you a bit more range, but the Dissector offers better grip on wet roots etc. The Assegai has grip for days and I doubt I'll ever run anything else

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
For those running larger than 200 stock brake rotors, Care to share info of where and what you bought?
I know I can now easily run a larger front since I put on the ZEB, but the rear already has a spacer/ adapter. I am thinking anything that helps braking is a good thing. ( stock rail 7 brakes currently)

Also maybe mention if you had issues with warp or fitment along the way.
Thanks.
Steve

Busterchops

May 10, 2021
Colorado
Everyone has their own preference for tyres, you really have to try a few and see what works best for the terrain you ride. I run Maxxis Assegai front and either Maxxis Dissector or Aggressor rear. Get the heavier Double Down casing, heaps of support even at lower pressures, assuming you're setting up tubeless. The Aggressor is a bit faster rolling and harder wearing than the Dissector, so probably gives you a bit more range, but the Dissector offers better grip on wet roots etc. The Assegai has grip for days and I doubt I'll ever run anything else
Thanks I’ll definitely take a look.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
For those running larger than 200 stock brake rotors, Care to share info of where and what you bought?
I know I can now easily run a larger front since I put on the ZEB, but the rear already has a spacer/ adapter. I am thinking anything that helps braking is a good thing. ( stock rail 7 brakes currently)

Also maybe mention if you had issues with warp or fitment along the way.
Thanks.
Steve

I use Magura, 220mm front and 200mm rear.
I like the consistency on long (>1000m elevation) alpine downhills. They are a fit finicky to bleed and adjust.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
I upgraded my Rail 7 to the 6 pawl engagement, worked a treat (for a while) then freehub ended up sliding outward on the axle for some reason, this then made the pawl location slots elongate, so new freehub required !!! Then the clutch on the rear mech went dicky, when i was pricing the new parts up and the availability, I decided to go 10 speed !
shimano hg freehub,
11-42 shimano cassette,
shimano hg 10 speed chain,
shimano zee shifter,
deore long cage mech,
cheap and dependable, runs like a dream and climbs all my trails no bother and abundant spares! win , win !!!!

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
Put a leash on my Kiox. After a rough and rocky decent in the desert I got to the bottom and noticed the screen was blank. The Kiox was knocked sideways a little. Popped it back in and all was well. Must have hit it with my knee on one of the switchbacks. Would have been a big deal if had been gone. It could have popped out and bounced down over the cliff and been gone forever.
20210525_203033.jpg
20210525_203012.jpg

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
Put a leash on my Kiox. After a rough and rocky decent in the desert I got to the bottom and noticed the screen was blank. The Kiox was knocked sideways a little. Popped it back in and all was well. Must have hit it with my knee on one of the switchbacks. Would have been a big deal if had been gone. It could have popped out and bounced down over the cliff and been gone forever.
View attachment 62486 View attachment 62487
Not sure if it works for you, but all you need is a little counter sunk screw to screw the kiosk to the base plate, I think it's M4 from memory, used in a lot of computers etc

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
I have a 2021 trek rail XT Ive already pulled the SLX brakes and replaced with 4 plug XTR brakes and I pulled the XT deralieur for an XTR Also went with race face next 31's on Vault hubs I wanted a 9.9 but had to settle on the XT which is badass on its own pictures to follow this week I had a little prob with the plugs on motor and would like a new harness( I dont NEED it) because I can fix the wires that pulled out of one the plugs, but after all this $$ and effort Id rather replace it The bike is going cross the USA for 4 months with me So I want it bulletproof.
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles