Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

hongeorge

Jun 5, 2024
Mountains
I agree that it doesn't sound right unless that's an aftermarket fork of some sort and then with some kind of an adapter headset for the bottom. All Rails have the 1.5 bottom and 1&1/8 top head tubes which is pretty much the industry standard for bikes at this level and category.
Newer Gen 4 carbon rails have a 1.8 lower, mine has the same

@bfletch2006 - if your existing fork is a zeb, you could leave the crown/steerer in place, and swap the internals and lowers of the new zeb ultimate onto it. And you can rebuild the leftovers into a 1.5 steerer fork which will be easier to sell on.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Newer Gen 4 carbon rails have a 1.8 lower, mine has the same

@bfletch2006 - if your existing fork is a zeb, you could leave the crown/steerer in place, and swap the internals and lowers of the new zeb ultimate onto it. And you can rebuild the leftovers into a 1.5 steerer fork which will be easier to sell on.
Yeah, we haven't seen or gotten any 2024 carbon Rails, but I see in the spec sheet what you're saying. It says "1.8" oversize tapered steerer". I must admit ignorance of this new to me standard for a bottom steerer size of 1.8" vs 1.5"...wasn't aware of it. Oh boy...another "standard" to deal with. :unsure: I see it appears to be an emtb specific issue...I think. Oh well...time marches on...LOL!

BuckSaw

May 21, 2024
Canada
The EMTB hubs aren't that much different, I think swapping the freehub is probably all you need to do - only difference is the EMTB hub engages all 6 pawls at once (54 points), whereas the regular bub has them offset, so it's 3 engaged at a time (104pts). Easier/cheaper than a whole new hub and build
The wheels are built with Chris King hubs. They are centerlock and the Rail doesn't play well with with centerlock.

downtownjbro

Jun 8, 2023
united states'
2023 Gen 3 here....

HT components AN14A pedals
Deity Black label 15mm rise bars
Cushcore front and rear
Maxxis Assegai front and rear
Hayes Dominion A4 front and rear brakes (203 hayes d-series rear rotor, 220 sram HS2 front rotor)
Selle Royal Ventilator saddle
SDG Tellis dropper
3 bottomless tokens rear, 2 front

This thing is a MACHINE. I freaking love it!

wheels/hubs are next - any suggestions?

View attachment IMG_0995.JPG

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Yeah, we haven't seen or gotten any 2024 carbon Rails, but I see in the spec sheet what you're saying. It says "1.8" oversize tapered steerer". I must admit ignorance of this new to me standard for a bottom steerer size of 1.8" vs 1.5"...wasn't aware of it. Oh boy...another "standard" to deal with. :unsure: I see it appears to be an emtb specific issue...I think. Oh well...time marches on...LOL!
The 2022 gen 3 Rail 9.8 were first to have the 1.8" lower headtube diameter. I use the FSA baseplate reducer to run a Fox 38.
I have never been a fan of trek and specialized proprietary suspension designs. C-dale even more so.

JuSiZ

May 16, 2023
Finland
Rail 9.5 2022
Upgraded allmost everything. Fox shocks, mavic rims, Sqlab bar, stem ,grips and saddle, today i upgrade sram gx transsimission group set and 36t chainring fits perfectly.
1000013955.jpg

BuckSaw

May 21, 2024
Canada
The 2022 gen 3 Rail 9.8 were first to have the 1.8" lower headtube diameter. I use the FSA baseplate reducer to run a Fox 38.
I have never been a fan of trek and specialized proprietary suspension designs. C-dale even more so.
Another "standard", bummer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles