Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
Have January 2022 Trek Rail 5 Large, also weigh about 80kg kitted up with Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock and Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate MY23 forks with Trutune eBike insert (no spacers).

Shock from TF Tuned came with the 525lb spring recommended by them. Have also tried a 500lb spring but prefer the slightly stiffer feel of the 525lb spring. Have about 25% sag.
Interesting....so I may be better off with a 500lb spring, or a 475-550lb progressive.

How much sag are you getting with the 525lb spring?

Current fork is a Marzocchi Z1 coil at 170mm. At some point I want to put a Smashpot in the stock Domain, as I did like how stiff the Domain chassis is.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Interesting....so I may be better off with a 500lb spring, or a 475-550lb progressive.

How much sag are you getting with the 525lb spring?

Current fork is a Marzocchi Z1 coil at 170mm. At some point I want to put a Smashpot in the stock Domain, as I did like how stiff the Domain chassis is.
Shock from TF Tuned came with the 525lb spring recommended by them. Have also tried a 500lb spring but prefer the slightly stiffer feel of the 525lb spring. Have about 25% sag.

innawoods

Jul 3, 2024
Arkansas
Was looking at the current Rail 9.8 and there seems to be a non-trunnion, non-thru shaft Rockshox SD spec'd. Does anyone know if it has a reduced piggy back size?

I am thinking about grabbing a leftover in 230x62.5 but not sure if it will impact the downtube on my medium Gen 4 carbon frame.

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
My Jade X just arrived. Before I go and break something, what is the correct way to rotate the shaft so that the rebound knob is in the back?

duri1

Nov 3, 2020
Slovakia
Hi, I probably asked in a wrong thread, so try to ask here. Does anybody tried to fit Vivid 230x62,5 to previous L-size frame? I have a 2021 625Wh Rail 5 Large size and would like to swap my Fox DPX2 (230x62,5) to Vivid in the same dimension. Thank you in advance and apologize.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Hi, I probably asked in a wrong thread, so try to ask here. Does anybody tried to fit Vivid 230x62,5 to previous L-size frame? I have a 2021 625Wh Rail 5 Large size and would like to swap my Fox DPX2 (230x62,5) to Vivid in the same dimension. Thank you in advance and apologize.
There's a huge rear shock and fitment thread on the site here somewhere that answers that, but if I recall from that thread, the coil Vivid, at least, did not fit the aluminum Rails...piggyback contact.

etxxz

Aug 3, 2024
NorCal
Free Mod: clipped the spacer in my deluxe+ going from 57.5 to 65mm and clears just fine with the flip chip on high. To make up for the HA on "high" I also put a 180mm spring up front.

JAMAN

Apr 22, 2024
Finland
Upgraded rear shock to Öhlins TTX1 Air with 65mm stroke. Frame pivot is in high position and shock fits well. In low position it would probably fit also, but had only few millimeter cap, so better this way. I'm not sure if I'm able to get this bottom out...maybe bike geometry starts to limit full stroke...?
ohlins.jpg

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
A few updates and clarifications that I have learned from my DVO Jade X install:
  • The comments above about trimming hardware now make sense. Fox and DVO shocks use IGUS bushings, but RockShox shocks use DU bushings. So, the people trimming are actually cutting the IGUS bushings to make them flat to the eyelet. I suppose that works, but the correct method is to pop out the IGUS bushings that come with the Fox or DVO shock and then press in DU bushes. The press for the DU bushes is cheap, and the bushes are a wear item, so my advice is to buy the press and use DU bushes.
  • I used new shock hardware from Offset Bushings, but now that I better understand how this all works, the stock hardware would have been fine. Shock Bushings | Trek Rail
    • While I didn't need to order these, they are made from higher quality materials, and I don't mind having some spare parts.
    • The advantage of the stock hardware is it has an O-ring side that goes against the shock eyelet. The Offset Bushing hardware does not.
      • Not sure how much of a difference this makes. Mud is rare for me, so I suspect it's a non-issue.
    • I also ordered my DU bushing press from Offset Bushings. It worked great.
  • When new, the DVO shock shaft didn't want to spin. But, after mounting and cycling the shock to confirm it clears, the shaft rotated so I could put the rebound knob on the back.

I am 170lbs out of the shower. I went with the 475-550 progressive spring. With XC style gear (half shell, knee pads, water bottle) I get 27% sag. With enduro gear (full face, chest protector, knee pads, backpack with a liter of water) I get 30% sag. So, I am the rare and lucky rider who ended up with a spring that is perfect.

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Has anyone tried a Cene Creek Kitsuma coil shock?

Was recommended a 57.5 Kitsuma on a Rail 5 -21 large by a dealer.

I am ready to buy if you guys dont shoot the idea down.

Bonus question: cane creek linear or valt spring?

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
Has anyone tried a Cene Creek Kitsuma coil shock?

Was recommended a 57.5 Kitsuma on a Rail 5 -21 large by a dealer.

I am ready to buy if you guys dont shoot the idea down.

Bonus question: cane creek linear or valt spring?

Per TF Tuned, it isn't compatible: Trek Shock Guide - TF Tuned

The Jade X transformed by bike. The bike does everything better with it. DVO is still running their 20% off sale on their website: DVO Suspension – Mountain Bike Suspension Forks, Shocks, Dropper

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
Ok. Too bad a dealer dont know this. Thanks! Unfortunately I have to look at orders inside of the EU.

Should I look at 57.5 for a Dvo Jade X?
That's your call. 57.5 will keep the same amount of travel. I went with a 60 to get a travel increase. I paired this with a 170mm fork. I did try it with the stock 160mm fork, and found I prefer the balance with a 170mm fork.

See this post for estimated travel for the different stroke lengths:

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Here again with more noob questions. :)

So, with inspiration from several members and foremost the user slartibartfast I have settled for a DVO Jade X coil (but I should really get Öhlins since I live not very far from their workshop).

I asked DVO for a spring recommendation for a 220 ibs (100kg) heavy dude with shoes and helmet on and they answered that a 600 spring should do it.

The problem is that they sell the 600 spring in 2,5" version that requires an 25 mm adapter that I can't find in the EU. I need a 600 spring in 3" to fit without an adapter.

So the question is, does anyone know about a different spring manufacturer that have a 600 spring that will fit a 3" 230x60 DVO Jade X shock?

Thanks!

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
I’m looking at putting on a DVO Topez Prime on my 2021 Rail 9.7. They said I would need to source special hardware for it since it’s offset. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what’s needed?

barryvbriggs

Sep 17, 2024
Rochester NY
So I'm 240lbs looking to upgrade my rear suspension. I have a rail 7 gen 3 medium. What shoke is over all recommend now and should I take in consideration for how heavy the bike is on drops.

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
I’m looking at putting on a DVO Topez Prime on my 2021 Rail 9.7. They said I would need to source special hardware for it since it’s offset. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what’s needed?

slartibartfast

Apr 29, 2024
USA
So I'm 240lbs looking to upgrade my rear suspension. I have a rail 7 gen 3 medium. What shoke is over all recommend now and should I take in consideration for how heavy the bike is on drops.

Those are the shocks that fit, plus the DVO Jade X.

You'll have to decide if you want air or coil, how much you want to spend, and read through this thread. Then you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Matuk72

Subscriber
May 25, 2024
Uk
I went with a Ohlins TTX air 2. After speaking with JTech Suspension they recommended it and also custom tuned it to my weight etc.
I’ve got a medium size frame and there’s plenty of space around the shock so it easily fits.

IMG_1274.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles