Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe range extender

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Dumb question but are there any software issues with the battery swap that riders report with the extender?
I have not had any issues changing to my second battery on the trail. It is my understanding the firmware on the bike needs to be updated with both the original and new battery before you use the new battery. Buy a second battery and don't look back. It is $150 more than a range extender, available immediately, and more than twice the capacity of 2 range extenders. It is a no brainer.....not sure why people are still going with the range extender.

Scarboroguy

Sep 16, 2023
Trenton Ontario
After more than a year (yes!) the range extender I ordered has finally arrived. I've managed without it so far and I'm wondering if I really need it. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, to share about this? Does it perform as expected? Incidentally, I think it's pretty galling to have to pay for the

I have not had any issues changing to my second battery on the trail. It is my understanding the firmware on the bike needs to be updated with both the original and new battery before you use the new battery. Buy a second battery and don't look back. It is $150 more than a range extender, available immediately, and more than twice the capacity of 2 range extenders. It is a no brainer.....not sure why people are still going with the range extender.
Thanks that's what I'm gonna do. Good to know about the firmware update not just a plug and play.

Last edited:

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

maybe cause people don't want to carry an extra battery in their backpack?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Dumb question but are there any software issues with the battery swap that riders report with the extender?
All the system needs to be on the latest firmware, if they're mismatched you get errors.

And occasionally when the bike switches over taking power from the range extender to the main battery, the torque sensor calibration goes a bit off - fixed by switching the bike off and on again.

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
Hi every one, I want to purchase the TQ range extender 160WH battery for my new Trek Fuel EXe E-MTB from Germany
but I do not know how to ship it to Dubai UAE , any body has experience about it ?
Trek representative in UAE says that is not available but there is available in Germany

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
Hi every one, I want to purchase the TQ range extender 160WH battery for my new Trek Fuel EXe E-MTB from Germany
but I do not know how to ship it to Dubai UAE , any body has experience about it ?
Trek representative in UAE says that is not available but there is available in Germany
I received my TQ range extender , and charge it and install it .
One question ; in TQ e-bike system , the e-bike use the range extender battery power first unit it comes to 0 % then switch to main battery so, which one is better to do,
1)connect the range extender when the main battery is discharged to less than 10%
2)The range extender battery to be connected to the e-bike permanently and charge it with main one together.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
I received my TQ range extender , and charge it and install it .
One question ; in TQ e-bike system , the e-bike use the range extender battery power first unit it comes to 0 % then switch to main battery so, which one is better to do,
1)connect the range extender when the main battery is discharged to less than 10%
2)The range extender battery to be connected to the e-bike permanently and charge it with main one together.
The manual says to have the extender connected to the battery all the time, both when loading and In use. Offcourse you can leave it off in case you don't need it. On the other hand, what's the use of taking the extender with you to only plug it in when the main has 10%?

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
The range extender is discharged first and then main battery is starting to discharge during the riding and vice versa in Charging procedures.
I read the TQ extender battery and main battery manual , it has mentioned in the manual charge the range extender as soon as reached to 5 % , but it is not possible to charge it during riding time and range extender discharged completely and e-bike switch to use the main battery. In the same manual mentioned that do not disconnect the range extender from e-bike. In main battery manual mentioned that start to charge the main battery when the battery reached to less than 20 %.
Some times the main battery level reached to the 50 % and my riding is finished
And I will not use the bike for 3-4 days , so range extender battery is in full discharged condition for few days and it is not good for lithium battery health.
I believe it would be better if the system use the main battery first to full discharge and then switch to use the range extender battery and charge the main battery first then range extender Battery during the charging procedures.I think this could be achieved by software upgrade

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
Do you still need to code a new extender and is it really noticeable a heavy guy (105kg) getting the extender - will I notice the additional range, I mean £500 worth, it ain't cheap!

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
Do you still need to code a new extender and is it really noticeable a heavy guy (105kg) getting the extender - will I notice the additional range, I mean £500 worth, it ain't cheap!
Dont know what you mean by ‘coding’ but the extender has to have the same firmware version for best compatibillity. Offcourse you will notice the difference in range. It brings an extra 45% so your range will increase by 45%.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles