Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Kermit

Nov 24, 2021
SE UK
Any recommendations for insurance my contents insurance won’t cover it?
M&S = They don't care how many bikes you have and do not stipulate Gold/Expensive locks/chains etc (Underwritten by Aviva)

Can be stand alone bike cover only, all the way to full buildings, contents etc

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Morning all, I am in the process of deciding whether to go full fat or an EXE.

Sadly the only EXE I can afford is the 9.5. I know the components are a bit of a compromise but I do have a few little bits I could change straight away such as the cassette and few other bits for the drive train. For my type of riding I think the suspension would be ok. I only do light flowy trails, no jumps or drops etc together with more smoother climbs and flat rides over the south downs.

I am coming from a 2018 Fuel EX which I do love riding, but I just need a bit of assistance up some of the climbs. I usually ride alone so I am not trying to keep pace with the full fats. I do manage to get up most of the hills I need too, but its draining.

Things putting me off are range - I would like to be going out for a couple of hours but this would include a mix of flat and down and up.

The battery - I do not have the ability to charge the bike at its stored location. It would need to be removed to be charged every time. How much of a faff is this to literally do after each long ride? Would it likely to become loose etc after time or would I be better off looking at a bike which has a battery that is easily removed?

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Morning all, I am in the process of deciding whether to go full fat or an EXE.

Sadly the only EXE I can afford is the 9.5. I know the components are a bit of a compromise but I do have a few little bits I could change straight away such as the cassette and few other bits for the drive train. For my type of riding I think the suspension would be ok. I only do light flowy trails, no jumps or drops etc together with more smoother climbs and flat rides over the south downs.

I am coming from a 2018 Fuel EX which I do love riding, but I just need a bit of assistance up some of the climbs. I usually ride alone so I am not trying to keep pace with the full fats. I do manage to get up most of the hills I need too, but its draining.

Things putting me off are range - I would like to be going out for a couple of hours but this would include a mix of flat and down and up.

The battery - I do not have the ability to charge the bike at its stored location. It would need to be removed to be charged every time. How much of a faff is this to literally do after each long ride? Would it likely to become loose etc after time or would I be better off looking at a bike which has a battery that is easily removed?
The Fuel Ex-e is a very good bike, and how well it's suited to your needs depends on your riding profile, location, needs etc.

If you're not chasing full fat bikes and only need modest support it'll be good.

Rider weight, fitness and elevation gain really do tell on it. Compared to other SL bikes it is less energy efficient. It is however the stealthiest in terms of sound.

Removing and charging then refitting the battery is incredibly easy and simple. It's two bolts and removal / fitting a cable. You can swap batteries in 3 mins.

Does it need to be carbon? You might get a better spec on the aluminium frames over the carbon ones. Not sure they ride noticibly different.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
The Fuel Ex-e is a very good bike, and how well it's suited to your needs depends on your riding profile, location, needs etc.

If you're not chasing full fat bikes and only need modest support it'll be good.

Rider weight, fitness and elevation gain really do tell on it. Compared to other SL bikes it is less energy efficient. It is however the stealthiest in terms of sound.

Removing and charging then refitting the battery is incredibly easy and simple. It's two bolts and removal / fitting a cable. You can swap batteries in 3 mins.

Does it need to be carbon? You might get a better spec on the aluminium frames over the carbon ones. Not sure they ride noticibly different.

Does not need to be carbon. But can get the 9.5 for £3500. Alloy one currently seems to be over 5k.

As I need to charge battery off bike it does limit me to some of the lighter bikes.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Sound slike you just need a little assist, which I was after. Keeping it on Eco, it allows you to ride longer and not get so drained. Range is extended out to 60-80 miles. I can ride 2 to 3 times on a charge depending on length. Did 19.5 miles this weekend, starting with 67%. Rode most on eco, using mid for some climbs and high for a couple short ones. Ended up at 41% when done. Depending on the ride, I will probably ride again before charging.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Sound slike you just need a little assist, which I was after. Keeping it on Eco, it allows you to ride longer and not get so drained. Range is extended out to 60-80 miles. I can ride 2 to 3 times on a charge depending on length. Did 19.5 miles this weekend, starting with 67%. Rode most on eco, using mid for some climbs and high for a couple short ones. Ended up at 41% when done. Depending on the ride, I will probably ride again before charging.

Yeah I still want a work out, just a bit of hill assistance so can ride longer! Concerned about the low end components, but guess its something can use until they break. I have a better cassette that can go on straight away.

I do have some carbon wheels to put on, but they currently wrapped in 2.35 Wolfpack rubber. Do you think the wider tyres are a better option?

Battery sounds like it might not be an issue. I usually do a couple of short rides during the week and a longer ones at weekend. Sounds like taking the battery out maybe once or twice a week will not be a huge issue.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I run 2.4's on mine, XR4 for now. Nothing wrong with upgrading as needed.

I rode with a youth, 25 years younger than me ( I am 55), and he was on a reg bike. I wanted the natural feel and to be able to ride with my normal bike buds since I am the only one on an ebike right now. This has been spot on. Not too heavy either.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
I run 2.4's on mine, XR4 for now. Nothing wrong with upgrading as needed.

I rode with a youth, 25 years younger than me ( I am 55), and he was on a reg bike. I wanted the natural feel and to be able to ride with my normal bike buds since I am the only one on an ebike right now. This has been spot on. Not too heavy either.

Just asking the dealer what brakes it has. The one I tried had Deore, the one on their website says Textro but the Trek website says TRP! Just checking as would probably look to upgrade.

Also the stem on the 9.5 is 31.8 with 7degree rise. My 35mm stem has zero wise. Wondering how much that effects the bar height.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Also the stem on the 9.5 is 31.8 with 7degree rise. My 35mm stem has zero wise. Wondering how much that affects the bar height.
My default Bontrager stem was 60mm and only accepted an alloy bar. I quickly changed to the 45mm Bontrager stem with the special attachment for a stem mounted GoPro or LED light. I could then install a carbon bar.

Keeping the front wheel down on climbs required some body shifting but the DH trails were so much better.

A slight rotation of the bar helped with the reach.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I have been running a 50mm stem and 40mm rise carbon Renthal for years. Have no issues. Getting ready to up the fork to 160 after raising the rear to high position.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
My default Bontrager stem was 60mm and only accepted an alloy bar. I quickly changed to the 45mm Bontrager stem with the special attachment for a stem mounted GoPro or LED light. I could then install a carbon bar.

Keeping the front wheel down on climbs required some body shifting but the DH trails were so much better.

A slight rotation of the bar helped with the reach.

I have the 45mm on the old bike so will switch that one over.

How’s the trans x dropper? Is it worth the faff of swapping it over to the OneUp from my old bike? Hoping there is an adaptor to run the OneUp remote on the TRP levers.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Seatpost is the larger 34.9, FYI. I picked up a Cane Creek adaptor and the old style 200mm Fox dropper on sale for $100 and rolled.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Seatpost is the larger 34.9, FYI. I picked up a Cane Creek adaptor and the old style 200mm Fox dropper on sale for $100 and rolled.

Yeah that’s what I have in a Top Fuel I’m selling 180mm 34.9. The black is a bit worn from being in the frame but probably a better post than the trans x. Might just need to get the bar clamp for it as it’s. Currently got an ispec clamp.

OneUp seem to only do ispec ii or ispec ev. Think the TRP are ispec b?

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I have the 45mm on the old bike so will switch that one over.

How’s the trans x dropper? Is it worth the faff of swapping it over to the OneUp from my old bike? Hoping there is an adaptor to run the OneUp remote on the TRP levers.
I don't mind the dropper but the remote for it was purely awful. Swapped it out for a OneUp remote.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Yeah that’s what I have in a Top Fuel I’m selling 180mm 34.9. The black is a bit worn from being in the frame but probably a better post than the trans x. Might just need to get the bar clamp for it as it’s. Currently got an ispec clamp.

OneUp seem to only do ispec ii or ispec ev. Think the TRP are ispec b?
Been using the light action Wolf Tooth for a few yrs. My shifter/brake is together. Would love to convert baxk to bar for each. Limited to rotation and distance in/out as is, XT.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
I don't mind the dropper but the remote for it was purely awful. Swapped it out for a OneUp remote.

Think I have found the adapters I need if it comes with TRP levers.

HD 3.4 will allow me to run ispec shifter and HD 3.3 will fit on to the OneUp remote.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Been using the light action Wolf Tooth for a few yrs. My shifter/brake is together. Would love to convert baxk to bar for each. Limited to rotation and distance in/out as is, XT.

You might have a point there. My sram matchmaker was always pretty comfortable but my Shimano ispec brakes/shifter combo (also XT) never seem quite right and a bit in the way of each other. Maybe it’s better to keep them separate after all.

Is your Wolftooth on a separate clamp?

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
As far as range goes, I’ll typically set the assist levels for the planned elevation gain of my ride and the results have been pretty consistent. 80Kg rider weight: 100W assist gives me 1250m, 125W/1100m, 150W/1000m, 225W/800m, 300W/650m all with a few % battery to spare. I set the % assistance so that I need to be applying about 240W of my own power before achieving the maximum Wattage for each mode. That’s for single track riding with moderate amounts of roots and rocks. Fire roads will generally get about 20% higher results due to more consistent grades and cadence.

I did pick up a range extender after a year for the lazier or bigger mountain days. It consistently gets 400m at 225W, and is usually drained by the end of the first climb leg, so just goes into the backpack for the rest of the ride. Don’t really notice it at all there, as its weight is mostly offset by the weight of the water I’ve been drinking along the way.

Johannes

Aug 13, 2024
Germany
@woody65 and others who might be interested: I have uploaded a 3D model for a TQ charger holder to Thingiverse. You can get it here:

Have fun

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Just noticed that the rear brake cable runs down the left hand side so its going to have to do a tight loop round to the brake lever (UK - rear brake on left). Hoping the bike shop does a nice tidy job due to cable OCD lol.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
As far as range goes, I’ll typically set the assist levels for the planned elevation gain of my ride and the results have been pretty consistent. 80Kg rider weight: 100W assist gives me 1250m, 125W/1100m, 150W/1000m, 225W/800m, 300W/650m all with a few % battery to spare. I set the % assistance so that I need to be applying about 240W of my own power before achieving the maximum Wattage for each mode. That’s for single track riding with moderate amounts of roots and rocks. Fire roads will generally get about 20% higher results due to more consistent grades and cadence.

I did pick up a range extender after a year for the lazier or bigger mountain days. It consistently gets 400m at 225W, and is usually drained by the end of the first climb leg, so just goes into the backpack for the rest of the ride. Don’t really notice it at all there, as its weight is mostly offset by the weight of the water I’ve been drinking along the way.

I’m a bit overweight right now and not super fit so that will probably not help the range until I shed some pounds! I am hoping to get out and do weekend rides that would be around 20-25miles so I am hoping I can manage the battery to last for that. I would say 50% of that would be flats and downhills.

It’s either this or try a full fat.

Attached is probably the type of ride I would be aiming for at weekends and more 7-10mile blasts during the week.

IMG_0221.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Just noticed that the rear brake cable runs down the left hand side so its going to have to do a tight loop round to the brake lever (UK - rear brake on left). Hoping the bike shop does a nice tidy job due to cable OCD lol.
There’s a few simple things you can do to help cleanup the cockpit, besides going wireless, that could lessen your cable/hose OCD symptoms.

IMG_8082.jpeg
I’ve used these. Automotive stores usually have them, along with a variety of zip ties.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles