• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
I've just bought a license and connected the android app to my e6100 and noticed that by default it has set the max power to 500 Watts. I live in the UK and I'm certain my motor is 250 Watts. I have had to check the box to be able to change the power setting back down to 250 Watts. My question is, is it possible the app is reading my bike correctly and I do in fact have a 500 watt motor? Otherwise, is there any harm on leaving the max power at 500 if the motor is only 250w or am I safer to change it down to 250?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Don't worry

lt hasn't changed the motor torque to 500w. The motor is legally allowed to give a continuous output of 250w, and that's what you will get.
Try the bike. Does it feel like you suddenly have twice the torque? No, it's still standard.

A peak output of 500w is possible and is the standard setting from the factory.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
No l am certain that you can't change the torque to 500w continuous using Stunlocker.

And if you could, you shouldn't anyhow as the motor would probably fail before long.

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
No l am certain that you can't change the torque to 500w continuous using Stunlocker.

And if you could, you shouldn't anyhow as the motor would probably fail before long.

I've put pics on here I hope it works. Basically the app defaults to max 500 and I've changed it to a max of 250 out of fear of causing damage. Are you saying its safe to leave at 500 as it won't force the motor to stay at it continuously or am I safer to have changed it to 250?

Also,it seems to have defaulted back to 500 when I logged in to take these images after I changed it to 250 earlier. It would be easier if I could leave it at 500 so I don't have to go on the app every time I use the bike to change it.
Screenshot_20210605-194851_ST Unlocker.jpg
Screenshot_20210605-194801_ST Unlocker.jpg

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Leave the Power at 500W max, it is a factory setting for all modes, at least on my bike.
If you set it below, like I did, you might get E010 errors and cut-outs.

Also, connect with the e-Tube (Shimano App) and set your Eco mode to the low setting. You will see on STunlocker that it is 20% assistance, 30Nm torque and 500W power. Anything lower on my bile spits out error codes.

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
Leave the Power at 500W max, it is a factory setting for all modes, at least on my bike.
If you set it below, like I did, you might get E010 errors and cut-outs.

Also, connect with the e-Tube (Shimano App) and set your Eco mode to the low setting. You will see on STunlocker that it is 20% assistance, 30Nm torque and 500W power. Anything lower on my bile spits out error codes.
Thanks for the advice. I don't ever use the eco mode to be fair. Will I still get error codes anyway? I've left everything at default now, leaving it at 500w max and the only thing I've changed is the region to US (riding it finally feels like how I hoped an ebike would be!)

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Measure the circumference of your wheel with a tape measure
One way to do it is to put a piece of string around the tyre then measure the length of the string.

Then use Stunlocker to change the circumference to the right value. You will almost certainly find that it's set about 10cm too large.

If you set it to the correct circumference the bike will be a little faster along the ground and your speedometer will be more accurate.

matti1207

Aug 19, 2020
belgium
hi @vadll

great work for this app, i have a e6100 and changed it to us and working great,

now i have a question about the assist for my e6100

the e6100 have 200% assist but i want more :)
someone here know how much he can give without burning the motor?

thx

Zoosoup

May 25, 2021
Kent,UK
Apologies if this has been answered but I cant find the answer to this online, does anyone know what exactly the anti theft pre-set do? Does it just turn all assist modes to 0 or does it actually lock the motor? Not got my new bike yet so can't hook the app up and look.

Eplus claims to be able to lock the bike out and send GPS data!!, not sure how the GPS bit works from just the bike and I am assuming of you flash the motor with a PCE this will remove any anti theft trickery unfortunately. I would love that the GPS bit does work, that would be awesome to be able to catch the little F@*#rs.

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Yesterday I tried to use the STunlocker app to change the rear derailleur to Di2, this did not work and kept throwing up an error message. I looked on here to see what to do and if other people have had the same issue. The only way to resolve it was to use the emax mobile app to change the rear derailleur to Di2 and it works perfectly. Perhaps an error that needs fixing in STunlocker?

tumi

Jun 15, 2019
Finland
I just wonder what might be body weight of these unsatisfied eMTB riders,I am now 200 lb and quite aware that if I were same 145 lb I used be in the 1990 I am pretty sure that nominal 250 W + 500 W momentarily would have been more than enough. Get slimmer and you guys and ladies will be better of:D

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
With me, it's not the power that's an issue, l never use the full power (turbo) setting on my Kona.
The issue is the 15.5mph speed cutoff, it's just too slow for road use.
The USA setting of 20mph makes all the difference.
Also on my bike the wheel circumference was set 11cm higher than the actual value, and it was great to set it to the correct 2250mm

Harry2021

Sep 11, 2021
UK
just too slow for road use.
The USA setting of 20mph makes all the difference.
I agree - I only tried 15.5 for a few days but was getting seasick with it, as it's a speed I'm often drifting across. At 20, I feel much safer in town traffic too. With fewer overtakes, there is less interaction, less room for driver error friction, it's pretty great.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
So, has anyone worked out how to reset the shimano EP8 inbuilt regulation check?
What do you mean? On most bikes the regulation log has only one record, this is what dealers/importer/manufacturer set into the motor.

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
Sh
What do you mean? On most bikes the regulation log has only one record, this is what dealers/importer/manufacturer set into the motor.

Shimano keeps a log of the changes done to the software/region/tyre cicumfernce Iman area of the etube professional app called 'regulation checker' so it can be seen what changes are made.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Sh

Shimano keeps a log of the changes done to the software/region/tyre cicumfernce Iman area of the etube professional app called 'regulation checker' so it can be seen what changes are made.
Unbelievable. First of all, it's possible to change settings via bluetooth only on 4.0.2 version, this version doesn't add any records into regulation log. It's 100% proven by hundreds of owners
So, I would like to see any proofs from you!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
How about

Has anyone had a warranty repair on their Shimano motor refused because they've changed the wheel circumference or country of origin?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
How about

Has anyone had a warranty repair on their Shimano motor refused because they've changed the wheel circumference or country of origin?

Quite the opposite with me. I installed Stunlocker and purchased a license. I then changed the wheel circumference, but only to the exact measured wheel circumference of my bike. I also changed the market to US. At that time there were quite a few Shimano E8000 motors suffering with torque sensor faults (WO13) and my bike ended up being one of them.

I just un-installed the app took my bike to the dealer who fitted a new motor without question. That was two years and 2,600 miles ago. I did have to buy a new license but it was worth it as it transforms the riding experience.

i have a second E8000 powered bike, also Stunlockered and set to the US market, which I have done well over 2000 trouble free miles on.

I quite fancy a new bike but not being overly IT competent it is not clear to me if I could change the market/speed on the EP8 so I will stick with my current bikes (a Focus and a Canyon ) for the time being.

Last edited:

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
Unbelievable. First of all, it's possible to change settings via bluetooth only on 4.0.2 version, this version doesn't add any records into regulation log. It's 100% proven by hundreds of owners
So, I would like to see any proofs from you!

That might be the case, but if you then upgrade to 4.1.5 or the bike shops upgrades to the newer software on your behalf, the log exist

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
Hi
According to other screenshots that you posted via PM to me, this bike does not have STUnlocker Premium licence. It means that those records was added by other App or by a dealer's shop.

Hi Vadll

Sorry i should have been a little clearer, i am in no way saying that ST Unlocker is at fault or anything or that it caused the issue at all.

My original comment was imply has anyone worked out how to do it and i reached out to you as the guru.

Apologies for any misconception on my behalf.

SO I'm simply trying to see if anyone has seen this and or heard of it before as to what the "Regulation checker" is, how is it stored, etc. As it seams to be a new thing since the 4.1.5 software has been added to the EP8 motor.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
SO I'm simply trying to see if anyone has seen this and or heard of it before as to what the "Regulation checker" is, how is it stored, etc. As it seams to be a new thing since the 4.1.5 software has been added to the EP8 motor.
As I said before, it's not because of firmware. It's because of a tool (App or Windows software) which was used for changing the region/circumference. This tool has added recrords into the regulation log.
STUnlocker does not add records into the regulation log

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
HANG on, i think i just worked it out....It happened in the factory.

I didn't receive my bike till the 24th of June, and didn't start riding till the 27th due to an issue with the bike. So it looks like the first lot of changes for the 16th June happened in factory....

SO it looks like the factory changed it from US to EU spec. Weird

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
ST unlocker, yes I did. I use it to give me % battery charge remaining when riding and also the graphical representation of the assist mode setup as it's easier the etube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles