Reign E+ 2022

Gills

Dec 5, 2021
New Zealand
I ordered mine from Giant store in wellington, it was due mid Nov, and arrived two weeks late. Hopefully yours turn up before Christmas!
They should be able to tell you when it is due. I bought mine from Cycle Science in the Hutt and they had the expected week it was due in the country (week 47) available for them to look up.
Then add another week or two for national delivery and assembly.
The NZ Giant warehouse is in Upper Hutt so in theory local stores get delivery first

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Hi All,

New member here, I've been reading all the posts, super useful thanks all.

I got my Reign E+ 1 today here in New Zealand, and took it out for a first lap.

My background, I'm 97kg, and I usually ride a Trek Remedy. this is my first ebike, but I've rented a haibike with a bosch system couple of times.

I did 2hr~, mainly cross country, justing trying to get use to it.

I managed 29km and 1200m~ of climbing, took the 625w battery down to 5%, or whenever it starts limiting the power. I was using level 4/5 at first, but settle on level 3 after a while. Auto felt a bit kinda serge-y. I reckon I could get closer to 1400m with better power management. Power felt fine, did like me to spin a bit faster, like some others have mentioned.

On the riding, compared to my remedy.

to soo low, heaps of peddle strikes, I might try moving it into the high setting.

climbing was fine, and super comfy, just spin away.

On the downs, I didn't really hit much, but it feels silky smooth and so quiet,

its really heavy, had to lift it over a couple of gates!

dropper post is a 150mm on my size large, meh.

App crashed on me at least 3 times already :/

Overall, its seems pretty great so far. I bought it to shuttle my local bike park, and my usual ride time is 60-90mins, so I think the battery and climbing will be fine, looking forward to seeing what its like on some bigger hits!

thanks.
What store in NZ has them?
You in north or south island?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I was in T7 Nelson today & asked when the Reigns will be coming. Guy just shrugged & said whenever they turned up. He mentioned Aussie may have pinched a few off the NZ order ( dunno why they want any we all know there's no hills over there).Interestingly enough he said they were only preselling 20% of their allotment so they've got something to put on the floor. The shop I ordered my Merida from just basically presells all their allotment.

Rogercakenz

Dec 9, 2021
New zealand
I was in T7 Nelson today & asked when the Reigns will be coming. Guy just shrugged & said whenever they turned up. He mentioned Aussie may have pinched a few off the NZ order ( dunno why they want any we all know there's no hills over there).Interestingly enough he said they were only preselling 20% of their allotment so they've got something to put on the floor. The shop I ordered my Merida from just basically presells all their allotment.
T7 don't care. They have all our money.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Boys and girls. Let me present you Munich winter weather. Undoubtedly the worst there is 😂

DSC_1934.JPG
DSC_1936.JPG

I think I could benefit from a rear mudguard 🤣. But to be honest with Dirt suit I don't care. Dirtlej is pure awesomeness.

Did some jumps today. The machine is pure endorphins generator.

Gills

Dec 5, 2021
New Zealand
Hi all,
I have had my E+1 out for a couple of rides. Yesterday was the longest at 24km and 800m
The ride was around my local tracks... a combination of smooth bike park runs, technical tracks full of switchbacks, roots, and steps + a fast and rocky fire road downhill.

Thought I would share my impression of the bike

It had been raining hard for the previous 36 hours so lots of mud and puddles, but because it is summer here the water was lovely and warm as it flooded my shoes :)

My impression of the bike so far is similar to what everyone else has said.

Power Levels: I rode in level 2 or 3 most of the time... 4 or 5 going up fire breaks
When I was riding through muddy and technical stuff (up or down) I switched between 2 and 3 so I had better control over the bike and punched fewer trees.
I hardly used auto mode as I found it surged too much as it adjusted to my varying levels of power.

Battery: I am too scared to use the app after it crashed so no %, but the battery is now sitting on 2 bars
For reference my riding weight is around 105kg including bag, I rode for 2.5 hours over a variety of trails with lots of mud - it was 30 degrees C and I was completely and happily knackered when I got home.
So for me, unless I ride at L5 the whole time I think the 625wh battery is going to be plenty for what I use it for.

Riding Impressions: It felt very natural and stable, Having moved from a Giant Anthem XC bike I was surprised how well it handled tight switchbacks and single track.
I didn't notice the extra weight most of the time, lifting the front wheel to land on two wheels off steps, and launching tabletops (the limit of my abilities) was relatively easy. The only time I really felt the weight was when I wasn't carrying enough speed over a step and had to move the bike forward when launching so I landed properly.
The motor loves cadence, so gear selection is important - you still have to spin hard to get the most out of it so it's a real workout.

Thanks to all of the information on this forum I was able to understand and work on the Fox 38 tune.
Still plenty of trial and error to go, but my current setup is... 2 tokens (bike comes with 3), 105 psi which I reduced from 110 while on the trail, HSR 2, LSR 4 (started with LSR 5 but there was too much rebound), tried fully opening the compression as some have suggested but found it too hash so settled for now on HSC 11 and LSC 6.

Thanks again to the forum for the rear mudguard hack - Mucky Nutz Long MugGuard ($49 NZ at Evo)
And I will definitely be installing some 3m tape around the inside of the battery cover to protect from the impressive amount of water that gets in.

IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Also I would like to confirm that the hack using 3M on the battery section it’s working very well. I didn’t have any water inside and all the plastic cover was with mud and wet.
How you have placed it and what material you have used, you can put a photo

cutties

Dec 14, 2021
NZ
Hi all,
I have had my E+1 out for a couple of rides. Yesterday was the longest at 24km and 800m
The ride was around my local tracks... a combination of smooth bike park runs, technical tracks full of switchbacks, roots, and steps + a fast and rocky fire road downhill.

Thought I would share my impression of the bike

It had been raining hard for the previous 36 hours so lots of mud and puddles, but because it is summer here the water was lovely and warm as it flooded my shoes :)

My impression of the bike so far is similar to what everyone else has said.

Power Levels: I rode in level 2 or 3 most of the time... 4 or 5 going up fire breaks
When I was riding through muddy and technical stuff (up or down) I switched between 2 and 3 so I had better control over the bike and punched fewer trees.
I hardly used auto mode as I found it surged too much as it adjusted to my varying levels of power.

Battery: I am too scared to use the app after it crashed so no %, but the battery is now sitting on 2 bars
For reference my riding weight is around 105kg including bag, I rode for 2.5 hours over a variety of trails with lots of mud - it was 30 degrees C and I was completely and happily knackered when I got home.
So for me, unless I ride at L5 the whole time I think the 625wh battery is going to be plenty for what I use it for.

Riding Impressions: It felt very natural and stable, Having moved from a Giant Anthem XC bike I was surprised how well it handled tight switchbacks and single track.
I didn't notice the extra weight most of the time, lifting the front wheel to land on two wheels off steps, and launching tabletops (the limit of my abilities) was relatively easy. The only time I really felt the weight was when I wasn't carrying enough speed over a step and had to move the bike forward when launching so I landed properly.
The motor loves cadence, so gear selection is important - you still have to spin hard to get the most out of it so it's a real workout.

Thanks to all of the information on this forum I was able to understand and work on the Fox 38 tune.
Still plenty of trial and error to go, but my current setup is... 2 tokens (bike comes with 3), 105 psi which I reduced from 110 while on the trail, HSR 2, LSR 4 (started with LSR 5 but there was too much rebound), tried fully opening the compression as some have suggested but found it too hash so settled for now on HSC 11 and LSC 6.

Thanks again to the forum for the rear mudguard hack - Mucky Nutz Long MugGuard ($49 NZ at Evo)
And I will definitely be installing some 3m tape around the inside of the battery cover to protect from the impressive amount of water that gets in.

View attachment 78224 View attachment 78225 View attachment 78226 View attachment 78227
I see you're at the top of freewheel there ;) Looking forward to sending this thing down Morepork!

Did you get a medium or large? I have a medium on order and am told they're all coming into the country on the same shipment.

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
This is mine. First go at building a rear wheel and it went better than I expected. I rode Turbulence at the You Yangs last weekend and cased the rear tyre on a rock hard enough to ding the rear rim despite running 28psi at 76kg. Didn't lose any sealant and the wheel still ran true with no tension loss in the spokes.

I tore the DD HR2 the weekend before and sewed it up and it's held air like a champ since.

Has been ride wrapped with about 120km so far. I got about 44km last weekend on one charge with mostly downhill trails and some connecting road/fire road, with 5-15% battery left. I'm usually pretty fatigued from riding DH by the time the battery is nearing depletion, so 625wh is a good size for me.

Another thing which surprised me is that I seem to be getting better range now that the battery has done a couple of cycles.

16396374756732395297561874474150.jpg

16396375284001328068291768756930.jpg

16396375645294637125857184648087.jpg

16396380187191493980947003326852.jpg

1639638066290411751769376852768.jpg

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I have been enjoying this topic as I really fancy one of these, I just don’t know if I can trust Giant after my current Trance headaches.

Anyway,
Ref Auto Mode, be sure your dealers have calibrated the inclinometer before you collected the bike.
They can be snatchy as hell if that’s not done properly as that’s how the system determines your incline rate and the required assistance.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Has anyone ridden the old yamaha motor and this new one? My wife has a 2019 trance and that is quite torquey in low cadence, people seam to be saying the opposite for this new model, that it likes high cadence to get the power.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I'm trying to source 3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastix - is it only available in 50,8mm width?
If so, you must have cut it down yourself?

There are couple of different widths of this thing. But the version I used for securing the battery bay was 50 mm. You can easily cut it with sharp scissors.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Has anyone ridden the old yamaha motor and this new one? My wife has a 2019 trance and that is quite torquey in low cadence, people seam to be saying the opposite for this new model, that it likes high cadence to get the power.
Yes, I did. Have replaced the 2019 Trance SX with SyndrivePro with the new Reign e+ with SyncDrive Pro2. Also owned the Reign e+ 2020 and the 2021 Trance X e+, so I claim to have bit of experience with the more recent versions of the Giant drive engines ;)

It's true to say that the new SyncDrive Pro2 benefits from higher cadence, but it still provides plenty of support in low cadence too. So starting on a steep slope is no issue at all; the support just kicks in more gently which is a benefit for the less experienced rider. Giant was able to make the system an even more natural riding experince with the new engine and supports up to a theoretical 150rpm.

Having said this, better shift before you approach a really, really steep slope, because when your cadence gets very low you will loose power. With a non-electrical bike you would experience exactly the same, wouldn't you? Hope you get my point here.

PS: In my 101 E-MTB Classes I`m encouraging everyone to choose their gear wisely as it has an impact on battery drain, wear of chain etc. and the ability to maintain power on steep acents. Having this in mind, the new Syncdrive Pro2 rides very natural and not so digital or over-powered like other engines, but's thats my humble oppinion

Last edited:

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France

Hello,

I went from a reign +1 2020 model to the 2022 one.
I ride in provence and it's really rocky, rooty and steep !
Old motor was really punchy, even at low cadence.
The new syncdrive is even more punchy, at low and high cadence (personnal taste). Even for ultra steep climb, i stay on auto mode and have the choice to fast pedal, or (what i prefer) to climb pushing hard on pedal with lower cadence. In both scenarios, the assistance is near perfect, for me, with lot of control. What lacks on the bike (pedalling / assistance wise), 90% of time, is my rider skill.

Take note that i mounted a 34T chainring instead of the standard 36T.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
Hello from Utah, USA, I just put deposit on a Large 2022 reign e+ 2 at local shop.I am 6ft 205lbs moderate fitness but more of a weightlifter than cyclist. They say week 10 2022 is arrival date but dont count on that due to current worldwide shortages. I have a streetbike and motocross background and have been riding my 2021 Trance X 29 3 for 4 months, so just getting into MTB. Test rode the reign e+ 3 at shop last week and geometry was great but the non adjust domain fork has me waiting for the zeb. Does anyone know if the larger battery will fit in the 625wh bikes?

Last edited:

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
The large supposedly comes with 165 cranks, does anyone know which 155 cranks will fit? Would like to stick will alloy and not carbon because of rocky landscape here in utah

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles