Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

THEStuntman

Oct 28, 2020
Greece
How about the Knox action?
They offer a chest pad with velcro to fit in..
. microlock_chest_upgrade-540x675.jpg

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Carl i think we have a winner here.. The Urbane seems perfect. A bit expensive but definitely a great jacket to consider.
Lightweight , everything is removable good balance of comfort breath and protection .
UK facility .

that could work, pockets!!! Man pockets.....I’ve suddenly started to appreciate pockets! ? that top looks good but by time chest is added and CE2 upgrades it’s going to be like £340 or something :s.....

im sat here with my Scott still in its box wondering that vs racer vs Scot chest/back + racer.....I’m finding weight is important, I’m stacking the CE1 on top of the CE2 but I think it might be making the pads move more than they should.

sometimes I feel my limbs (trying to think if I should write this ?) and it’s like the elbow isn’t guaranteed to be covered since the pad shifted. The best version of fixing pads was the Demon top which had Velcro fixings....I think it’s worth investing in getting something stitched in Velcro wise otherwise when the fun happens we might get unlucky and all this armour is totally pointless......This is where @Zimmerframe has the advantage with his TL setup at least it’s all fixed in place...

Last edited:

Dirk74

Jun 6, 2020
Germany
To whom it may concern.
I was curious if the SAS-TEC Level 2 shoulder (SC-1/01) and elbow (SC-1/02 protectors fit into the the LEATT 3DF AirFit Lite jacket.
They do :)

Shoulder fits perfect.
Elbow protector fits in the pocket, but not as perfect at the elbow.
sholder1.jpg sholder2.jpg elbow1.jpg elbow2.jpg
Cheers,
Dirk

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Yeah a combination of pedal spikes to shins caused that! The IXS Cleaver guards are good but only the last time I used them was Megavalanche! They are big and cumbersome and overkill for a lot of riding. And since I now use clips I no longer suffer from pedals into shins ?

My current favourite all round knee guards are the Ion K-Pact Zip knee pads.
do these pads fit under the fox pants mate? I just bought some ranger 3L but my pads dont fit, do I have big knees or the wrong pads?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I had so send the Ion pads back, I had XL and couldnt get the zip up but my calves are same size as lower thigh which makes it hard to find decent fitting pads. I’m having a really tough time keeping my Forcefield pads in position too, they tend to slip off my knee a lot so might check there. I’ve heard Leatt are good for larger size. The ion pads did look excellent though

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
As for Racer armour with CE2 upgrades I had 4 offs in the same day (Stainburn being way above my level, but not willing!) and had no damage luckily....probably had 20 near offs so I’m happy with my ‘save’ ration! ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
do these pads fit under the fox pants mate? I just bought some ranger 3L but my pads dont fit, do I have big knees or the wrong pads?
Knee pads only fit under modern fitted DH/riding pants if you're young and skinny. FWIW my calfs don't fit in most modern 34" waist DH pants nevermind knee pads.

What Sir requires is some nice corduroys ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Knee pads only fit under modern fitted DH/riding pants if you're young and skinny. FWIW my calfs don't fit in most modern 34" waist DH pants nevermind knee pads.

What Sir requires is some nice corduroys ;)
thats age'ist !!!
yea, since I stopped playing rugby and therefore not drinking the bar dry every saturday afternoon, I am also a 34" waist again, the trousers fit me fine but I feel like im wearing man leggings !!
I guess ill ditch the kneepads for the sake of staying dry

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Ordered some fox launch pad pro d30 (ofc!), the Forcefield ones are garbage, constantly moving no matter what I do, these Fox were really hard to find in Large!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Carl i think we have a winner here.. The Urbane seems perfect. A bit expensive but definitely a great jacket to consider.
Lightweight , everything is removable good balance of comfort breath and protection .
UK facility .
Did you order pal?? I sent the Scott back, wondering on the next move, the CE2 is having stability issues somewhat like due to the weight they sag past your limbs I’m finding but I could mess with some glue/Velcro perhaps, maybe I need to find lighter armour....I’ve not made any more moves regarding chest, maybe I’ll see how you got on with this or I’ll consider @Zimmerframe bastardised combo of TL / Racer

THEStuntman

Oct 28, 2020
Greece
Did you order pal?? I sent the Scott back, wondering on the next move, the CE2 is having stability issues somewhat like due to the weight they sag past your limbs I’m finding but I could mess with some glue/Velcro perhaps, maybe I need to find lighter armour....I’ve not made any more moves regarding chest, maybe I’ll see how you got on with this or I’ll consider @Zimmerframe bastardised combo of TL / Racer
I am waiting the Knox action shirt with the Micro-Lock chest pad. Tomorrow will be here so i will update on my thoughts on the next days .

Last edited:

THEStuntman

Oct 28, 2020
Greece
The search for me has come to an end..
The knox is perfect .i can wear it all day long .Not to bulky the product is very good quality overall.
The chest pad has the perfect size so it is not to bulky but it is there to make the job. It is a compression shirt so the fit must be tight. Very easy to put it on and off and every pad is removable.
I am 1.80 80kg 102 chest and i am size Large.
Top quality from Knox here!!!
Feel free to ask any questions .
I think the urbane will be more loose fit than the action.. I bought the action and the fit is perfect...You cant go wrong with the Knox.
07-02-19-218.jpg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The knox is perfect .i can wear it all day long .Not to bulky the product is very good quality overall.
The chest pad has the perfect size so it is not to bulky but it is there to make the job. It is a compression shirt so the fit must be tight. Very easy to put it on and off and every pad is removable.
I think the urbane will be more loose fit than the action.. I bought the action and the fit is perfect...You cant go wrong with the Knox.
View attachment 45557
Awesome! Did you consider Chest Upgrade - Knox although seems CE3 level (?)....i has similar shape in the Scott and liked the rib protection but seemed intrusive so yours is probably the better chest to get

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’m having issues with my pads moving around too.....I need to add Velcro I think, the d30 shapes flat on the elbows when locked in ride position so not sure if that’s ideal also, considering gform eline elbow and knee pads atm

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So as part of my ongoing commitment in helping the masses keep protected I decided to make a first account video on how armour performs......I’ve tried many ways now to damage the armour but nothing so far had penetrated so I thought I’d test out our local naysayer @Gary theory and see if he was right about armour being irrelevant if there’s too much force! Contemplating his theory, I felt compelled enough to launch myself at speed coming down off a small jump and throw myself with no hands on the bars into a tree, chest/head first, all within 2 seconds, enjoy ?
Ps @Zimmerframe does this qualify as adequate enough testing?

Pss I’ve an MRI scan tomorrow to find out if I’ve fractured my spine, the lols!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
WTF were you even thinking going anywhere near Greno/Warncliff in the wet if you don't even know to stand up while descending?
Hope you're ok.
Get well soon bruv

I did Stainburn the other weekend and came away unscathed, did plenty of rear ended balancing xyz, that last fail was me monging out, you could pick a drop or a roll and my front wheel hit something whilst my mongage moment and just bucked my wheel and that’s all she wrote then! I should have scoped the DH out a bit better...that was fine though, just a knock to where my knee pad didn’t cover!

It was the tree that fucked me, my visor hit first bending my neck back and then I just heard like three cracks to my back and fell on my back, my lower back was totally numb and tingly, I couldn’t feel anything, I thought I’d broken my back proper style! But it went away luckily!

You’ll see the guy in front skid but I’m too busy on ‘the moment’ then I skid too but push off a tree right into tree 2 and nothing I could do at that point....next time I’ll be thinking okay jump + drop + mud + trees + wet + noob = be more vigilant!!

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dude. don't take this the wrong way but you're clearly a complete beginner. I know you think you can somehow fast track yourself into progressing but you're going about it pretty terribly.
Spend lots of time learning some basic skills before you become the next Dave Jenvey.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Dude. don't take this the wrong way but you're clearly a complete beginner. I know you think you can somehow fast track yourself into progressing but you're going about it pretty terribly.
Spend lots of time learning some basic skills before you become the next Dave Jenvey.

I promise tomorrow if I get the all clear I’ll reign it in a little.....trouble is some of these places you goto you haven’t many options or sometimes what’s coming up is one way and you didn’t know it was coming....you can try walk it down or pass the bikes etc which I have done but yeah, just hoping I’m let off the hook on this occasion ?. Cheers

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
So as part of my ongoing commitment in helping the masses keep protected I decided to make a first account video on how armour performs......I’ve tried many ways now to damage the armour but nothing so far had penetrated so I thought I’d test out our local naysayer @Gary theory and see if he was right about armour being irrelevant if there’s too much force! Contemplating his theory, I felt compelled enough to launch myself at speed coming down off a small jump and throw myself with no hands on the bars into a tree, chest/head first, all within 2 seconds, enjoy
Ps @Zimmerframe does this qualify as adequate enough testing?

Pss I’ve an MRI scan tomorrow to find out if I’ve fractured my spine, the lols!

Wow! Great footage Carl, I can feel my spine sympathising with yours!
It actually shows the areas we need to protect in various scenarios.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
View attachment 45557

hey was about to order BUT according to their site your a size a medium, did you order the large? I’m the same size as you pretty much, size 33 waist but the large is for larger chest and waist.... https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/media/9385/9385.original.pdf

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles