Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On the Scott Softcon Air :

Back: Level 1 of EN1621-2
Shoulders and Elbows: Level 1 of EN1621-1
Chest: Level 1 of EN1621-3 and EN14021
SCOTT AirFlex D3O® back and chest plates
D3O® pads on elbow and shoulder
3D and stretchable mesh fabrics
Plates: 100% Polyurethane
Sizes S-XXL
Ventilated soft protective SCOTT AirFlex back and chest plates featuring D3O® technology
Removable D3O® elbow and shoulder pads
Additionnal padding on biceps and ribs
Anti-moisture inner panels in 3D mesh
Main body made of stretch mesh fabric
Sleeves made of abrasion-resistant fabric
Full zip closure with lock zipper
Removable belt

- So the last part - Removable belt ... is good .. if it is hot and sweaty .. it can go !!!

Don't think I've ever been so on the fence about ordering something :)

Hot day .. Racer ..

Predicted wipe out day - Racer with 7855 or 5955 over the top... Moving more to 7855 over the top rather than the 5955 for better area coverage.

Scott ?? It's a bit like a Racer with better elbows and chest ? Almost everything I've been looking for (once I reduced my armoured area requirement) .. But I'm now heading back towards that all over protection from the 7855 when I'm in guaranteed crash mode and the Scott doesn't give that .. and is that Scott chest going to be hot on an MTB ?

Wish I knew what the DH peeps were wearing in leogang. Most looked like they covered the whole back, the whole chest, full width from the collar bones down. A lot of the arms and I think nearly everyone even had elbow protection which also covered 2/3 of the forearm. Maybe there's a Bloke/Seamstress with a large pile of foam and cardboard at the top who just cuts things to fit and glues them on all over as riders depart. It might be what they have on is completely impractical to wear for more than 5 minutes though.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
CDE67E1E-3F24-4D33-BB4D-FAB75A165E52.jpeg

7183F058-23AD-4D84-8826-8B938340AA0C.jpeg

FAAB4DB5-E49A-419C-8662-F470CDA0D878.jpeg
878F0EAE-5971-447D-A50C-D3A83D51EE27.jpeg

Much better, the back is so much longer, its fine. The sides have some padding for ribs too, the D30 in this chest is lush, it’s kind of softer/springy very nice for mobility I’m sure....Scott have really planned this one well I feel

next is the CE2 upgrade test, they look epic and too big almost!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Cool !!!!!!! Thanks for that ..

So some questions ..

What is a seahawk ?

The L looks much better on you than the M .. The back protector is enormous in comparison .. I take it that's the CE1 back on the "L" compared to the CE2 on the "M" ? the shape is different . I thought the CE2 was wider - but is it ? or is it all relative ?? I think I might order an XXXXXXXXL and have a back protector comb over !

How tight is the large compared to the medium ? you said the medium felt really tight ??? I like the long back :) I'm more 5'10 and 70kg though. Back/leg length could all be different too though ..

Don't forget to put your youtube links up !

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Cool !!!!!!! Thanks for that ..

So some questions ..

What is a seahawk ?

The L looks much better on you than the M .. The back protector is enormous in comparison .. I take it that's the CE1 back on the "L" compared to the CE2 on the "M" ? the shape is different . I thought the CE2 was wider - but is it ? or is it all relative ?? I think I might order an XXXXXXXXL and have a back protector comb over !

How tight is the large compared to the medium ? you said the medium felt really tight ??? I like the long back :) I'm more 5'10 and 70kg though. Back/leg length could all be different too though ..

Don't forget to put your youtube links up !

Haha oh the Seahawk is my inflatable dingy to help me get over the channel to come hit you up on a few trails my friend! Should get my bike over no probs....I see intex boats coming over the channel weekly! I bet they won’t stop me going the other way!

The medium was really tight to get on but felt okay once on, the large still has tightness, in a 39 chest, 6ft, 85kg and it could do with being an inch or two longer tbh....the back is short 1-2 inches off my backside unless I shuffle it down! I’d rather it be your way and maybe longer than too short, it might be perfect for you tbh, check the sizing guide https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/...ir-pro-jacket-protector?article=2784621001009

Ps, the belt is detachable via Velcro strap, it’s an external adjustable band not sure what for but goes on the outside.

The CE2 pads are way better, miles more breathable too! When inserted they feel closer towards the Forcefield level without the bucket effect, perfect!

I noticed CE2 since it’s thicker it’s more rigid, like the CE1 Scott elbow ‘flops’ if I hold it, the CE2 doesn’t and this is exactly why the racer feels nice, but it’s only because the armour is so flimsy! It’s almost like Racer armour is 0.5 CE....but with the CE1 in there it has some of that lovely Racer feel about it, nothing will beat Racer for comfort but it’s only because of the flappy thin armour that isn’t even full since it has cuts in it.

I’d rather have protection trading off the comfort but be comfortable in something breathable, this is where that search ends :).

I like the 7855 but if it’s anything like the Demon it would drive me nuts with the heat/sweaty stuff going on and that lack of a zip hmmmm

CE2 is generally just thicker, not wider or longer, that’s just optional. Here the back is thicker and sizing just longer.

On the pads, it’s interesting as if I measured it wouldn’t be far apart but they wrap around the muscle so much more, I feel protected with them not just supplemental protection as a better than nowt approach

7ABB74DD-2143-4619-8046-C0748450B96E.jpeg

85BC3E4C-10C0-4465-B3F9-FC4E7D13DAD5.jpeg

B1702FC9-F17B-4F97-9595-AEDF80635022.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Blimey ! Thanks for all that ..

You're more than welcome to paddle over any time .. I normally swim, it's far more discrete ! :ROFLMAO:

They've updated the sizing chart since I first looked. I think at the start, they'd just copied one of the other items, now it has heights also and they have an extra one for the pro - though the sizing is the same.

I'm the same sized chest as you .. so on paper - the medium should fit. But the medium is height for max 170 as you say and the large suggests you need a 34.5" waist - I'd have to eat a lot more doughnuts and croissants to have a chance of getting there. The sizing chart suggests it's for short people with a keg ?

Your CE2 pads look great .. the CE1 ones look a bit naff. That's the problem with all this stuff, it's advertised to show you the good bits - nice vented back/chest ... but it's got antique shoulders and elbows which will sweat like hell .. you'd like to think they'd have just put the nice CE2 guards in the CE2 suit .... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... they probably weight about the same due to the holes, are more flexible due to the design, offer more protection and are cooler - again because of the holes ..

So what do you do now then ? Return the CE1 back version for the CE2 back version, or keep the CE1 back version because you like the trade off in flexibility compared the the CE2 back one .. or do they feel much of a muchness ?

EDIT : is the Large chest .. larger than the medium chest ???

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Blimey ! Thanks for all that ..

You're more than welcome to paddle over any time .. I normally swim, it's far more discrete ! :ROFLMAO:

They've updated the sizing chart since I first looked. I think at the start, they'd just copied one of the other items, now it has heights also and they have an extra one for the pro - though the sizing is the same.

I'm the same sized chest as you .. so on paper - the medium should fit. But the medium is height for max 170 as you say and the large suggests you need a 34.5" waist - I'd have to eat a lot more doughnuts and croissants to have a chance of getting there. The sizing chart suggests it's for short people with a keg ?

Your CE2 pads look great .. the CE1 ones look a bit naff. That's the problem with all this stuff, it's advertised to show you the good bits - nice vented back/chest ... but it's got antique shoulders and elbows which will sweat like hell .. you'd like to think they'd have just put the nice CE2 guards in the CE2 suit .... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... they probably weight about the same due to the holes, are more flexible due to the design, offer more protection and are cooler - again because of the holes ..

So what do you do now then ? Return the CE1 back version for the CE2 back version, or keep the CE1 back version because you like the trade off in flexibility compared the the CE2 back one .. or do they feel much of a muchness ?

EDIT : is the Large chest .. larger than the medium chest ???

Chests are same. I’ve packed both up and sending them back in the morning, I’ve already ordered the new large pro, I think this will be my CE2 top and I’ll see if can do anything with the Racer, if I find the Scott is just fine on the trails etc I might just offload the Racer altogether but first I need to experiment with all these little protection upgrades that are on route :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I like the 7855 but if it’s anything like the Demon it would drive me nuts with the heat/sweaty stuff going on and that lack of a zip hmmmm
I don't think the 7855 is anything like the Demon on the heat front. I'd say it's my second coolest top after the Racer. It's pretty much all mesh. The armour is all perforated and seems to pull more air through than seems logical. A few sections are open foam to just duct air around.

It's low profile too. Despite being armour all over, the thickest bits are only 12mm.

The no-zip thing is generally seen as an advantage - no zip to go wrong ! I normally have no problems with it, but I have to say it's painful as hell putting it on and off with a torn shoulder rotator cuff - I probably shouldn't be !!!

Whilst it's pretty effective, I don't think it will tick your boxes on wanting CE2. It offers good all round protection, but nothing "excellent". It's probably comparable to CE1 for chest/elbows (though it's better than some of my Alpinestars CE1 kit - I think they must own the test lab they use...) But it's definitely not CE2 back or CE2 chest.

I'm a bit surprised the Scott chest isn't CE2 - it looks like it's the same thickness as a CE1 back , which would theoretically make it a CE2 chest. I guess it could be marketing, might look weird with a CE2 rated chest and CE1 rated back - people would just imagine the chest is twice as bulky as the back.

The shoulders are easy to swap out, but if you want more back/chest, you'll end up layering and I think you're trying to find the best all in one solution.... aren't we all !!

Did have a quick play yesterday with the Forcefield CE2 shoulders, Racer CE1 Shoulders and Antique Alpinestars "rubbery" shoulders (these are what I presently run in my 7855). Interestingly, despite all the advancements - the rubbery antiques felt as good, if not better than the newer alternatives. I'm guessing this is where the SAS-TEC open tripleflex/A-XOC type armours might start moving things along.

Still tempted to try the Scott .. but then equally tempted to do the same as you and order the CE2 Elbows and Shoulders. Still think it's a shame it's not just an option. Equally tempted to just order the X-AOX pads to try as shoulders and elbows... But then I'm heading round in circles and maybe I'd be better just ordering the X-AOX pads and cutting up the 7855 to put them in the Chest/Back/Shoulders. Would be considerably cheaper than buying the Scott and Scott armour upgrades and I'd have far better armour coverage and CE2+ if I layered with any of the existing 7855 armour.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some spec confirmations on the A-XOC :

The back, available in long and short . CE2 is 14mm thick !!!!! (there is an error on the site which says it's 18mm)

The limb protectors CE2 - 7mm thick - three listed at the moment so you have to choose your size/shape. The prices are for a PAIR ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For anyone interesting in swapping out an existing back protector and trying the CE2 14mm A-XOC version .. you can buy this for €75 from A-XOC ..

But if you're not sure on spending that as it's just something to try or cut up ...

Then "HELD" use the same protector, but in Green and Black and it's £40 from sportsbikeshop :

One thing to not with the A-XOC back protectior - it's naturally not rigid. So depending what you're putting it in, if it's not held in place well it can slide down and bunch up. On looser fitments it's advisable to hold it at the top with velcro tabs or zip ties to stop it sliding !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just to help anyone sleep ....

The chemical developed and used in the A-XOC armour is polynorbornene.

Unlike a lot of the other Polyurethane (PU) based armours, it shouldn't lose it's performance over a few years.

It can also be washed at upto 30c.

@carlbiker ... do the Scott CE2 Elbows fit in the racer ? probably not ? they look too long maybe ? Might order some A-XOC ones and see if they squeeze in ..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Just to help anyone sleep ....

The chemical developed and used in the A-XOC armour is polynorbornene.

Unlike a lot of the other Polyurethane (PU) based armours, it shouldn't lose it's performance over a few years.

It can also be washed at upto 30c.

@carlbiker ... do the Scott CE2 Elbows fit in the racer ? probably not ? they look too long maybe ? Might order some A-XOC ones and see if they squeeze in ..

Im actually going to test that out!

I’ll do before getting into all this lot!

2545C5A3-0D5B-4118-94F1-05AF9AFAE8A0.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe the mainline, do your straps always press against your ears pal? It’s annoying I’m finding unless I’m doing something wrong
Never noticed that they do. Just tried it on and can barely get a finger up the strap line to feel what's where, but it feels like the lobes are probably touching the straps - but not squashed.

I generally put it on then lift it slightly, 1cm ? then pull it down again but with the front lower - I originally wore it with the chin guard too high I think.

You might have to change the pads to move your head position ? Smith are quite helpful and responsive on their contact address.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Never noticed that they do. Just tried it on and can barely get a finger up the strap line to feel what's where, but it feels like the lobes are probably touching the straps - but not squashed.

I generally put it on then lift it slightly, 1cm ? then pull it down again but with the front lower - I originally wore it with the chin guard too high I think.

You might have to change the pads to move your head position ? Smith are quite helpful and responsive on their contact address.

I’ve pinged their zendesk, yeah I noticed the big back pad maybe that might shift my position on the lobes hopefully! I could always remove the strap pads perhaps, currently there are zero side pads which works, might try the smaller ones, I must have a caveman head!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
No wonder racer is like a second skin, because it is, that protection is probably worthless and might create a false sense of security maybe?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Spot the CE2 pads competition.....
Wow ! They both fit !!! That's a bit cool !!! Better get some of them ordered up. I think the A-XOC ones are higher protection, but I quite like the idea of pre-shaped pads around shoulders and elbows so things are in place.

No wonder racer is like a second skin, because it is, that protection is probably worthless and might create a false sense of security maybe?
I think the Racer feels more like a second skin with reference to how the whole thing feels, not really the elbows. I think the flat pad elbows are what puts me of the flat pad a-xoc ones. They're the one part which doesn't really feel like a second skin because they don't naturally sit around your elbow - or it doesn't feel like it to me, but I have pretty pointy elbows :) They have to flex, crease and bend when you're arm bends.

In farness to Racer/D3O , those pads are used in all sorts of elbows and knee pads from various manufacturers. They look crap, but with the racer on I risked smashing my elbow/forearm into the 90 degree pointy (not bevelled) edge of a worktop as hard as I could and it didn't hurt - which I wasn't expecting, but at least gave me some confidence in the pads and removed my immediate obsessive panic about them.

Have ordered the large A-XOC back panel to swap out in the racer to try out. It's the same length as the D3O medium back (50cm). But might be too short for you ? I think your Scott/Racer backs are probably more like 55cm ? Tempted to order the A-XOC medium back to see if I can't use that as a chest in either the 7855 or the Racer. That would give me a 7855 or Racer with CE2 back and CE2+ chest from only 14mm . Probably will order another A-XOC back to cut up and change some of the other 7855 armour sections with. Shame you can't just buy a roll of it ... :) If you were in the know, you probably could. It's used in vehicle and rail applications and is supplied/made by D-NOV

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Wow ! They both fit !!! That's a bit cool !!! Better get some of them ordered up. I think the A-XOC ones are higher protection, but I quite like the idea of pre-shaped pads around shoulders and elbows so things are in place.

I think the Racer feels more like a second skin with reference to how the whole thing feels, not really the elbows. I think the flat pad elbows are what puts me of the flat pad a-xoc ones. They're the one part which doesn't really feel like a second skin because they don't naturally sit around your elbow - or it doesn't feel like it to me, but I have pretty pointy elbows :) They have to flex, crease and bend when you're arm bends.

In farness to Racer/D3O , those pads are used in all sorts of elbows and knee pads from various manufacturers. They look crap, but with the racer on I risked smashing my elbow/forearm into the 90 degree pointy (not bevelled) edge of a worktop as hard as I could and it didn't hurt - which I wasn't expecting, but at least gave me some confidence in the pads and removed my immediate obsessive panic about them.

Have ordered the large A-XOC back panel to swap out in the racer to try out. It's the same length as the D3O medium back (50cm). But might be too short for you ? I think your Scott/Racer backs are probably more like 55cm ? Tempted to order the A-XOC medium back to see if I can't use that as a chest in either the 7855 or the Racer. That would give me a 7855 or Racer with CE2 back and CE2+ chest from only 14mm . Probably will order another A-XOC back to cut up and change some of the other 7855 armour sections with. Shame you can't just buy a roll of it ... :) If you were in the know, you probably could. It's used in vehicle and rail applications and is supplied/made by D-NOV

The current back on my Racer is literally down to the tail bone so perfect size but I think the reality is, if you put the racer pads into the Scott, suddenly that top becomes like the racer and vice versa; the racer feels different with the pads, losing that natural feel but you’d get used to it, that’s the point I feel there isn’t much to get used to with the racer as the pads are more stealthy. Then if you took the Scott chest and put into the racer you would feel more like the Scott I’d be fairly sure on. The Racers both thin on the pads and zero CE on the chest, depends what you need, for me I read your chest stump attack where nature won that day but had you been in the Scott maybe that would have helped?

Scott Pro was only £15 extra for CE2 and the pads at £21 a set are great value...the XOC ones should arrive soon been interesting.

I think maybe it’s worth keeping both of your having a sensible day maybe CE1.....but then it’s the same thoughts to half shell to full....if it’s there best to use maybe?

As things stand the CE1 will sit on the CE2 for the feck of it :)....I could send the CE1 tiny pad to @Gary to cover his plumbs though

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Scott, suddenly that top becomes like the racer and vice versa; the racer feels different with the pads, losing that natural feel but you’d get used to it, that’s the point I feel there isn’t much to get used to with the racer as the pads are more stealthy.
So the Racer with the CE2 pads - the shoulders feel a little less natural/neutral ? I guess they're a bit thicker and as you said earlier, less flexible ... maybe the CE1 pads with the A-XOC pads over the top would keep the flexibility but up the protection even higher ? CE2+CE1 ! :)

Maybe I should hold off ordering the CE2 shoulders and elbows and see how your XOC things look !!!

Then if you took the Scott chest and put into the racer you would feel more like the Scott I’d be fairly sure on. The Racers both thin on the pads and zero CE on the chest, depends what you need, for me I read your chest stump attack where nature won that day but had you been in the Scott maybe that would have helped?

I guess you're feeling the Scott "fit" is similar to the Racer "fit" .. so a plus for the Scott if they've achieved that comfort/confidence. The most ironic thing about all this is the Scott is pretty much 100% what I was looking for (with your upgraded shoudlers/elbows) once I'd decided I'd have to move away from the all over type protection of the 7855 in order to achieve better chest and back protection.

I can't decide if I'm being stubborn in avoiding the Scott or if I'm just re-evaluating and going back to my early thoughts which were to upgrade the 7855 to make a 7855+ ! This long search has proved that there's nothing which ticks all my boxes and he 7855+ would do that. The Racer under the 7855 does most of that, but the chest is still slightly lacking even with the combination - but is it only lacking because of my perception of what I think I need there.. If I chill out a bit then the racer under the 7855 is the dogs nads and with the A-XOC back would probably be fine doubled up even in summer.

The double stump evilness (I still need to go back with a chainsaw so no one else ever does it) MIGHT have been prevented/eased by the Scott. This latest wave of armour searching was brought about just from that one incident. Most unfortunate due to the double stump shape causing chest and shoulder impact. The fractured ribs were fine after about 6 weeks and in fairness, whilst fractured ribs hurt like a b1tch, you can still get on with life. One of my broken fingers still gives me issues, but then I did carry on working and even rode a week after the accident - so they never really got much heal time. The worst is still my shoulder. 12 week and with therapy I'm now finally getting some usability back. Again, I've still been working and riding so not really helping healing for a torn rotator cuff - though most of the problems now are from muscular issues from where the body's compensated from that injury. Would the Scott have helped .. I'd like to think it might have avoided or reduced the rib injury. With the CE2 shoulders, it may even have stopped the rotator cuff injury. We'll never know as I'm not performing a re-enactment :)

But, with the hard ground impact and the bouce into a log pile and tree upside down and backwards - would the Scott have let me open to more injuries the 7855 avoided .. you just don't know.

I hope @Rob Rides EMTB is ok on the shoulder front. It looked like he hit quite hard there. He's taller and heavier, so there's quite a lot of rotated force in an impact like that - like a hammer, with his feet being the bottom of the handle - but held by a bike... If it's just torn ligaments and muscle it might not really start becoming really noticeable other than pain, for a couple of weeks. Hopefully his noggin took most of the impact and protected his youtube physique !

The Mainline was replaced after the stump crash. It was it's third big "incident" .. The first being when it was jumped on by a horse and I probably should have just replaced then as it stopped my skull being crushed. The second three days before stump crash when I had a big OTB and bounced off two trees and a rock, leaving it with three dents in the back and then the stump crash when it hit the ground/trees on three different occasions.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So the Racer with the CE2 pads - the shoulders feel a little less natural/neutral ? I guess they're a bit thicker and as you said earlier, less flexible ... maybe the CE1 pads with the A-XOC pads over the top would keep the flexibility but up the protection even higher ? CE2+CE1 ! :)

Maybe I should hold off ordering the CE2 shoulders and elbows and see how your XOC things look !!!

I guess you're feeling the Scott "fit" is similar to the Racer "fit" .. so a plus for the Scott if they've achieved that comfort/confidence. The most ironic thing about all this is the Scott is pretty much 100% what I was looking for (with your upgraded shoudlers/elbows) once I'd decided I'd have to move away from the all over type protection of the 7855 in order to achieve better chest and back protection.

I can't decide if I'm being stubborn in avoiding the Scott or if I'm just re-evaluating and going back to my early thoughts which were to upgrade the 7855 to make a 7855+ ! This long search has proved that there's nothing which ticks all my boxes and he 7855+ would do that. The Racer under the 7855 does most of that, but the chest is still slightly lacking even with the combination - but is it only lacking because of my perception of what I think I need there.. If I chill out a bit then the racer under the 7855 is the dogs nads and with the A-XOC back would probably be fine doubled up even in summer.

The double stump evilness (I still need to go back with a chainsaw so no one else ever does it) MIGHT have been prevented/eased by the Scott. This latest wave of armour searching was brought about just from that one incident. Most unfortunate due to the double stump shape causing chest and shoulder impact. The fractured ribs were fine after about 6 weeks and in fairness, whilst fractured ribs hurt like a b1tch, you can still get on with life. One of my broken fingers still gives me issues, but then I did carry on working and even rode a week after the accident - so they never really got much heal time. The worst is still my shoulder. 12 week and with therapy I'm now finally getting some usability back. Again, I've still been working and riding so not really helping healing for a torn rotator cuff - though most of the problems now are from muscular issues from where the body's compensated from that injury. Would the Scott have helped .. I'd like to think it might have avoided or reduced the rib injury. With the CE2 shoulders, it may even have stopped the rotator cuff injury. We'll never know as I'm not performing a re-enactment :)

But, with the hard ground impact and the bouce into a log pile and tree upside down and backwards - would the Scott have let me open to more injuries the 7855 avoided .. you just don't know.

I hope @Rob Rides EMTB is ok on the shoulder front. It looked like he hit quite hard there. He's taller and heavier, so there's quite a lot of rotated force in an impact like that - like a hammer, with his feet being the bottom of the handle - but held by a bike... If it's just torn ligaments and muscle it might not really start becoming really noticeable other than pain, for a couple of weeks. Hopefully his noggin took most of the impact and protected his youtube physique !

The Mainline was replaced after the stump crash. It was it's third big "incident" .. The first being when it was jumped on by a horse and I probably should have just replaced then as it stopped my skull being crushed. The second three days before stump crash when I had a big OTB and bounced off two trees and a rock, leaving it with three dents in the back and then the stump crash when it hit the ground/trees on three different occasions.

How did an actual horse jump on your helmet (presuming your head wasn’t in it?? ?)

Man I want full access to your go pro history #epicmontage!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How did an actual horse jump on your helmet (presuming your head wasn’t in it?? ?)

Man I want full access to your go pro history #epicmontage!

Sadly .. my head was in it !!! o_O or fortunately ?? :unsure:

We have a young race horse (didn't race, was growing too slow and would have missed his window of opportunity unless they'd have abused him) we're reforming. We've broken him again and re-trained from scratch. He's been introduced to tractors, tractors with flashing lights, tractors beeping horns. Lorries, cars, van's with trailers, combine harvesters, tractor trailers, excavators, fire trucks .. you name it, so he's familiar with anything and everything he might encounter.

The OH was taking him out for a short hack round the block so I go along for assistance/safety/peace of mind :rolleyes: on the bike ..

I was planning on heading off for a proper ride afterwards so was armoured and full face.. ordinarily I'd be open face/no face - whatever people call them ...

On a straight section of country lane, 200m from the house, a car was coming towards us - FAST ! We were both waving "slow down" frantically .. he seemed to take this as encouragement and continued to accelerate and at a guess was doing about 90mph in a 60 at this point. A 60 that most people would be doing no more than 40 in as there's a 90 degree bend coming up.

We both moved onto the verge to avoid being run over, with me behind her. As he went past, still full on the gas the horse basically shat it self and thought it was going to die, jumped back and knocked me flying ,then jumped up in the air and executed a perfect 180 and unfortunately landed with his foot on my head. I had no where to go and no time to even react.

Feeling somewhat dazed I got to my feet, found the OH was amazingly still on the horse but concerned I was dead. I was relieved and amazed to be alive and even more amazed and relieved to find he'd somehow not stood on the bike ! :)

Fortunately, he's quite bright and generally quite rational so he didn't continue to blindly panic as many horses would.

Whilst I didn't feel like I had concussion, I think I still suffered from some form of head/brain squish/damage as I was really struggling with thought processes and emotional rationality for 2/3 weeks after. I probably should have changed the Mainline then, but it was 3 days old and I couldn't bring myself to pop it in the recycling ..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Sadly .. my head was in it !!! o_O or fortunately ?? :unsure:

We have a young race horse (didn't race, was growing too slow and would have missed his window of opportunity unless they'd have abused him) we're reforming. We've broken him again and re-trained from scratch. He's been introduced to tractors, tractors with flashing lights, tractors beeping horns. Lorries, cars, van's with trailers, combine harvesters, tractor trailers, excavators, fire trucks .. you name it, so he's familiar with anything and everything he might encounter.

The OH was taking him out for a short hack round the block so I go along for assistance/safety/peace of mind :rolleyes: on the bike ..

I was planning on heading off for a proper ride afterwards so was armoured and full face.. ordinarily I'd be open face/no face - whatever people call them ...

On a straight section of country lane, 200m from the house, a car was coming towards us - FAST ! We were both waving "slow down" frantically .. he seemed to take this as encouragement and continued to accelerate and at a guess was doing about 90mph in a 60 at this point. A 60 that most people would be doing no more than 40 in as there's a 90 degree bend coming up.

We both moved onto the verge to avoid being run over, with me behind her. As he went past, still full on the gas the horse basically shat it self and thought it was going to die, jumped back and knocked me flying ,then jumped up in the air and executed a perfect 180 and unfortunately landed with his foot on my head. I had no where to go and no time to even react.

Feeling somewhat dazed I got to my feet, found the OH was amazingly still on the horse but concerned I was dead. I was relieved and amazed to be alive and even more amazed and relieved to find he'd somehow not stood on the bike ! :)

Fortunately, he's quite bright and generally quite rational so he didn't continue to blindly panic as many horses would.

Whilst I didn't feel like I had concussion, I think I still suffered from some form of head/brain squish/damage as I was really struggling with thought processes and emotional rationality for 2/3 weeks after. I probably should have changed the Mainline then, but it was 3 days old and I couldn't bring myself to pop it in the recycling ..

Brain squish damage ? ! Love it! ( in the best possible way ofc!)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So the AXOC stuff hasn't come yet, any day perhaps.....I'm happy with the Smith helmet, all the rest is being sold or returned. So I tackled this big quarry place with a little gang of us, it was epic loved it, didn't love looking like a t*at trying to do some basic jumps though and flying all over the place, at one point my foot nearly went through the rear wheel as I tried to bend my knees keeping my feet from striking the floor for some reason.....so bikes now sporting a broken spoke which is being repaired (taking the shop forever!). I zip tied the loose spoke to another and carried on with some DH bits but didn't realise the wheel wobbles all over, that was probably very silly but hey, fun nevertheless!

The racer top, oh my how I love the thing honestly, I didnt notice the extra weight of the CE2.....btw it really is quite the extra weight, like double it feels but it was still nice, those zips are an absolute god send honestly which the scott doesnt have. I have the scott in the box still ( the new L one) and I'm wondering what to do overall......its just the chest issue on the Racer, thats it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The racer top, oh my how I love the thing honestly, I didnt notice the extra weight of the CE2.....btw it really is quite the extra weight, like double it feels but it was still nice, those zips are an absolute god send honestly which the scott doesnt have. I have the scott in the box still ( the new L one) and I'm wondering what to do overall......its just the chest issue on the Racer, thats it
It's tricky isn't it !!! The balance between the protection we imagine we want and the protection which is still comfortable/not too hot/none restrictive is a fine line to walk.

I'm sure the Scott is a fantastic top, I just can't help but think that if you were riding hard, you'd soon start over heating and become uncomfortable because of the D3O chest.. it's a difficult trade off.

It might sound crazy, but you could order a "held" A-XOC back protection, but the medium, and try holding it straight against your chest with the Racer ? You'd have CE2+ chest/sternum/upper stomach. The racers a nice tight fit and would probably hold it in place perfectly ? It's well vented so you wouldn't have the heat issue .. It's on my list of things to try, but a bit tied up at the moment.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It's tricky isn't it !!! The balance between the protection we imagine we want and the protection which is still comfortable/not too hot/none restrictive is a fine line to walk.

I'm sure the Scott is a fantastic top, I just can't help but think that if you were riding hard, you'd soon start over heating and become uncomfortable because of the D3O chest.. it's a difficult trade off.

It might sound crazy, but you could order a "held" A-XOC back protection, but the medium, and try holding it straight against your chest with the Racer ? You'd have CE2+ chest/sternum/upper stomach. The racers a nice tight fit and would probably hold it in place perfectly ? It's well vented so you wouldn't have the heat issue .. It's on my list of things to try, but a bit tied up at the moment.

Okay time to solve this riddle:

Racer top stays plus mix with Scott products:

2 in 1 Chest/back CE1 (+ racer CE1 back = 2x CE1?) It might be possible to deposit the back into the existing racer back slot....£130 for this https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-softcon-air-body-armor?article=2784631001798

2 in 1 Chest/back vest CE1 front + CE2 back: https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-airflex-pro-2-vest-protector?article=2784641001008 - £170....

2 in 1 Chest/back/shoulders CE1 back, CE2 chest (must be cumbersome on the front this one) https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/...-2-body-armor-protector?article=2730690001006 - £170

My Scott is still in the box but I'm running out of time return wise......my current instinct is saying send it back for £235 refund, keep the racer and add the £130 chest/back. You can't go more than CE1 on the chest its really thick as it is, no idea how what that CE2 chest must be like on the second option....

The Scott chest is really recommended, its the best coverage and CE1 is as thick as you would want to go, option 1 is great as it just fits onto the Racer when your going hardcore but without all you lose is the chest and erm the second back....it can mix match but give the max protection all round...

If I keep the scott then I probably keep the Racer too but I'm not sure if thats overkill and maybe its better to swap one shirt to pay for the boots, I try to keep things that are useful and not collect stuff that isn't used best I can

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles