Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I just selected the Demon SAS-tec option & I already had a back plate.

Cheers I never got any options, only to add CE1 D30 chest to the front but it’s not looking like I can keep the foam and D30 in there.....did you find this top sweaty? It doesn’t breath

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Keep in mind with helmets that the testing for compliance is purely about reducing skull fractures - which is great ..

BUT ! Most head injuries are concussion related - take Ben's experience for instance. MIPS helps towards this as some energy can be angularly deflected. After my head bashing last year with a normal polystyrene based helmet I had really bad concussion - 4 weeks. Without the helmet I would probably have fractured my skull. Wouldn't have been the first time, but it's something you want to avoid as it can come with many complications or one final huge simplification.....

Hopefully more manufacturers will start prioritising this, but unless the compliance regulations change, there's not much reason for them to spend more on development if they don't need to.

I now only ride with helmets with some form of crumple zone with the hope of reducing concussion. Yes, the helmet maybe scrap afterwards - but if that's the case - it probably saved your life or certainly some of your intelligence. For my full face, the Smiths Mainline. Personally, having tried a few different ones, I also think it's the nicest made helmet and the most comfortable. A lot will depend on the shape of your head with different brands/helmets. On the bright side, there are a lot of fairly well made and well thought out helmets out there.
I’d just bought a bell super 3r this morning, £95 as new comes with the added bonus of cherry parts are actually more like pink! But after reading ’crumple zones’ I was like....oh, CRUMPLE ZONES then the first hit on google was this thread Product Review - [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again now I’m like I need the super DH or something else ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm just popping in hoping to see a pic of one of you with all this stuff on TBH

in my head so far it's looking something like this...

DlsYlehW0AA_fUl.jpg
Can you tell me what model this is please?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I've never seen these guys before :

Quite impressive ! 7mm thick for CE2. VERY breathable and flexible.

EDIT : looks like the A-XOC armour is actually manufactured by SAS-TEC, hence the similar specifications - though different design.
Oh fab I’ll dig into this, might get some ordered!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Juts doing a quick look around at the SAS-TEC "Tripleflex" armour.

There seem to be two types .. They're both very flexible, but one is made of a mesh and is therefore considerably more breathable ! It's the twin of the A-XOC version which uses a mini tube pattern instead.

If both perform as proposed, they make most of the existing armour obsolete. It's light, flexible, very protective and has excellent breathability.

Type 1 - the solid one .. no good for MTB really, it will still get hot and sticky.

Tripleflex2.jpg

Type 2 : NICE !

tripleflex1.jpg

If it works ..

They seem to make it in yellow too if that matter to you ... So far I've only found this pattern referred to as "TripleFlex 40"

triple3.jpg

Haven't really found much with the A-XOC in. They make a vest but the back protector is not full width. They also do "underpants" which consist of hip and knee protection. No idea what that would be like on an MTB though...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
SAS-TEC also make a fantastic Cock n Balls protector for @Gary

gary.jpg

Nice elbow and forearm protection if you can get it into anything ....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@Zimmerframe I would say heres the winner, I'll upload the vids shortly

8d30db6e9e230878ab6a74302449a3ec.png

I updated my summary list on the front page to compare the other costs of upgrading all the tops too for good measure, I clearly have so many better things to be doing atm! :D

Thats my new order to try the Large out, I tested the medium already

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe I would say heres the winner, I'll upload the vids shortly

8d30db6e9e230878ab6a74302449a3ec.png

I updated my summary list on the front page to compare the other costs of upgrading all the tops too for good measure, I clearly have so many better things to be doing atm! :D

Thats my new order to try the Large out, I tested the medium already
Is that the base "air" CE1 , rather than the Pro - CE2 ? and you're upgrading the Shoulders/elbows to CE2 ?

I think I sized in as a Medium ... but didnt' try it ....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Is that the base "air" CE1 , rather than the Pro - CE2 ? and you're upgrading the Shoulders/elbows to CE2 ?

I think I sized in as a Medium ... but didnt' try it ....

FFS! Why would they have 2 versions honestly.....well maybe they will let me swap the backs over, cheers for spotting the error! M would fit you find I think, I would have said I could send you the M but if the large fits then it would mean having an iffy CE1 back...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
ordered, some velcro is needed with this stuff though as its super flexible by looks

Sizing guide here <b>Size Guide</b>

They will actually send you the stuff for free and you pay on invoice......Interestingly they have a back that fits the Scott by looks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
ordered, some velcro is needed with this stuff though as its super flexible by looks

Sizing guide here <b>Size Guide</b>

They will actually send you the stuff for free and you pay on invoice......Interestingly they have a back that fits the Scott by looks
Shame they don't do a chest ... It's a bit mad buying a £250 state of the art Scott top - to then bin the back protector and put in a £75 one from a-xoc. Does look better though - much cooler ..

@Zimmerframe noticed these guys are selling the Scott, if you subscribe you might even get 10% off also... Scott Softcon Air Pro S21, protector jacket level-1/2 - motoin.de

Thanks for that - signed up. Glad a few more places are stocking the Scott. The 10% is off RRP - and it's already about 10% off. Still cheaper than anywhere else though.

It feels like Leatt must be releasing a new range soon .. Their stuff is good, but not amazing. Fit and design is nice, but the armour is basically just memory foam so it's heavy and hot. Troy lee fee like they should be releasing a 7955 or something .. but are they ?

The latest SAS-TEC, D3O Ghost and A-XOC isn't in anything you can buy which is usable.

I'm tempted by the Scott, but having tried so many that are lacking I'm at the point of giving up and just blending what I have.

Still looking forward to your softcon air review though ! (y)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Shame they don't do a chest ... It's a bit mad buying a £250 state of the art Scott top - to then bin the back protector and put in a £75 one from a-xoc. Does look better though - much cooler ..

Thanks for that - signed up. Glad a few more places are stocking the Scott. The 10% is off RRP - and it's already about 10% off. Still cheaper than anywhere else though.

It feels like Leatt must be releasing a new range soon .. Their stuff is good, but not amazing. Fit and design is nice, but the armour is basically just memory foam so it's heavy and hot. Troy lee fee like they should be releasing a 7955 or something .. but are they ?

The latest SAS-TEC, D3O Ghost and A-XOC isn't in anything you can buy which is usable.

I'm tempted by the Scott, but having tried so many that are lacking I'm at the point of giving up and just blending what I have.

Still looking forward to your softcon air review though ! (y)
It’s up so go watch, I ended up doing two vids.....you wouldn’t replace the back of the Scott it’s actually very good, just shorter and ofc it’s CE2 already in the pro version (when you buy the right one!)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Juts doing a quick look around at the SAS-TEC "Tripleflex" armour.

There seem to be two types .. They're both very flexible, but one is made of a mesh and is therefore considerably more breathable ! It's the twin of the A-XOC version which uses a mini tube pattern instead.

If both perform as proposed, they make most of the existing armour obsolete. It's light, flexible, very protective and has excellent breathability.

Type 1 - the solid one .. no good for MTB really, it will still get hot and sticky.

View attachment 41992

Type 2 : NICE !

View attachment 41993

If it works ..

They seem to make it in yellow too if that matter to you ... So far I've only found this pattern referred to as "TripleFlex 40"

View attachment 41994

Haven't really found much with the A-XOC in. They make a vest but the back protector is not full width. They also do "underpants" which consist of hip and knee protection. No idea what that would be like on an MTB though...
Yes I have the Type 2 SAS-tec tripleflex plates and being so breathable and reportedly even more protective makes it my preference over d3o. I think d3o elbows, gloves, knees etc work really well where ventilation isn't an issue.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yes not sure why but you can buy the SAS-tec tripleflex plates to replace d3o.

[+] FACT CHECK

I have the tripleflex knees hips shoulders & elbows. Chest & back are conventional SAS-tec.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It’s up so go watch, I ended up doing two vids.....you wouldn’t replace the back of the Scott it’s actually very good, just shorter and ofc it’s CE2 already in the pro version (when you buy the right one!)
Excellent !! Good to see the director showing her face too .

Welcome to the painful world of "what's the best armour" ..

1st problem - everything is a compromise - more armour, less flexibility, more heat, less comfort.

2nd problem - "WHY DID THEY DO THAT" .. yes, it seems the same with every single piece .. the Scott for instance .. I almost clicked buy from your link last night and then waited for the review. Two things. The CE2 back in the pictures looks lots wider than the CE1 back in the pictures - but looks the same length. In reality, the CE2 back doesn't look that wide compared to the pictures and it's WAYYYYY too short .. MERD !

Weirdly, in their CDI'd bit of video at 26,49,53 seconds:

It shows the back coming all the way down over the top of the ass !

Screenshot (27).png

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (29).png

Chest looks nice .. can you take some pictures of the inside of the chest and back armour so we can see how much venting there really is ?

It might be the back would be fine on me with the medium, so maybe the Large will be ok for you. You found the Forcefield back in "small" to be too short, the same one on me covers the back nicely.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Excellent !! Good to see the director showing her face too .

Welcome to the painful world of "what's the best armour" ..

1st problem - everything is a compromise - more armour, less flexibility, more heat, less comfort.

2nd problem - "WHY DID THEY DO THAT" .. yes, it seems the same with every single piece .. the Scott for instance .. I almost clicked buy from your link last night and then waited for the review. Two things. The CE2 back in the pictures looks lots wider than the CE1 back in the pictures - but looks the same length. In reality, the CE2 back doesn't look that wide compared to the pictures and it's WAYYYYY too short .. MERD !

Weirdly, in their CDI'd bit of video at 26,49,53 seconds:

It shows the back coming all the way down over the top of the ass !

View attachment 42076
View attachment 42077
View attachment 42078

Chest looks nice .. can you take some pictures of the inside of the chest and back armour so we can see how much venting there really is ?

It might be the back would be fine on me with the medium, so maybe the Large will be ok for you. You found the Forcefield back in "small" to be too short, the same one on me covers the back nicely.
E175E3AA-E6C6-4581-AB1E-EDF191258023.jpeg

4D9FFC99-2211-42D4-B8CD-07EF6B465796.jpeg

There’s no access to the chest but you can see my fingers pointing through the back.......(must word my words very carefully) meshy fabric which placement wise is probably perfect!

like the top of the arms isn’t mesh:

image.jpg

But under it is

image.jpg

That might just offer a little more rain resistance than mesh, I hate to let the Racer go but I’m fighting for reasons to keep it....

might switch for a POC Coron helmet for £203!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So on the Scott .. the holes going THROUGH the actual armour sections look quite large ? Good air flow !

Be interesting to know what they weigh - but then the backs smaller than the Racer, so a pointless comparison.

Is that a Kidney belt you velcro up before you zip the suit up ? Tricky, will potentially hold things in place better and get rid of that paunch :ROFLMAO: but will make it hotter as the stomach will then be three layers thick. Two of them potentially none breathable sweaty velcro panels.

I'm on the fence with ordering.

I still like the 7855 best for coverage and it weighs nothing and give pretty good protection. The Leatts fit nicely, but I just find too hot compared to other things for what they give (all three of them). The Forcefield I have to say I fall more out of love with each day and it's probably never going to be worn again. I was going to cut it up and Merge it with the 7855, but the other armour options seem better and certainly far better vented - it's important to remember, it's not just about protection, it's about feeling as close as possible to being unarmoured ! It's destined to be a cat bed at this rate.

The 5955 doubled with the 7855 and Racer is great - but the back feels too bulky really when doubled up especially on the Racer - though it actually sits better on the Racer than the 7855.

The racer still feels the most like a second skin ... the back and shoulder protection are excellent. When I ride it in, I feel the most liberated. I just accept that the elbows and rest of the body are not that well protected and enjoy it.

For me, at the moment, it's feeling like I'm mainly riding in the Racer - for comfort and freedom. and maybe the 7855 for .... uhmmm .. I don't know .. I just like what it gives .. but worry about the back ..

After all the others I hate wearing the hard armours now really - though the 5955 is the most neutral feeling.

Either way .. the Racer, even if I wear it less in the winter, will be staying close to hand for summer riding.

So maybe I try a Scott .. or maybe wait .. It's nice (if the back is long enough for me), but if anyone pulls their fingers out of their bottoms , it could be obsolete already.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Love this picture .. looks like a twilight zone or black mirror ...... "The man trapped in a body protector......"

View attachment 42092

Currently that sums me up perfectly.....I feel alive, yet not alive and trapped on a never ending paraylising analytical cognitive draining journey for reasons I'm yet to discover! When @Gary only has to worry about his -CE10 scrotum piece its rather unfair!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So on the Scott .. the holes going THROUGH the actual armour sections look quite large ? Good air flow !

Be interesting to know what they weigh - but then the backs smaller than the Racer, so a pointless comparison.

Is that a Kidney belt you velcro up before you zip the suit up ? Tricky, will potentially hold things in place better and get rid of that paunch :ROFLMAO: but will make it hotter as the stomach will then be three layers thick. Two of them potentially none breathable sweaty velcro panels.

I'm on the fence with ordering.

I still like the 7855 best for coverage and it weighs nothing and give pretty good protection. The Leatts fit nicely, but I just find too hot compared to other things for what they give (all three of them). The Forcefield I have to say I fall more out of love with each day and it's probably never going to be worn again. I was going to cut it up and Merge it with the 7855, but the other armour options seem better and certainly far better vented - it's important to remember, it's not just about protection, it's about feeling as close as possible to being unarmoured ! It's destined to be a cat bed at this rate.

The 5955 doubled with the 7855 and Racer is great - but the back feels too bulky really when doubled up especially on the Racer - though it actually sits better on the Racer than the 7855.

The racer still feels the most like a second skin ... the back and shoulder protection are excellent. When I ride it in, I feel the most liberated. I just accept that the elbows and rest of the body are not that well protected and enjoy it.

For me, at the moment, it's feeling like I'm mainly riding in the Racer - for comfort and freedom. and maybe the 7855 for .... uhmmm .. I don't know .. I just like what it gives .. but worry about the back ..

After all the others I hate wearing the hard armours now really - though the 5955 is the most neutral feeling.

Either way .. the Racer, even if I wear it less in the winter, will be staying close to hand for summer riding.

So maybe I try a Scott .. or maybe wait .. It's nice (if the back is long enough for me), but if anyone pulls their fingers out of their bottoms , it could be obsolete already.

I think there's little danger in Scott being made redundant as it ticks every box which is the only top to do so, the others wont wake up, just the way things are...

I wish me and you could sit in a room with a technician to draft some plans up and get it produced as it would be better than whats out there, even without all the scientific research, basic crap like larger pads and adjustable straps is just a no brainer right?

All it needs then is to be well ventilated yet has a good chest and back and some elements for the rib section with maybe a little foam here and there....Racers elbow pads are smaller than the others btw, although its stretchy so you could upgrade them. Im sure the chest is needed, that 5855 is some serious kit and I too had the idea of an additional chest but cmon, its like £400+ of gear to compensate a silly shortfall.....

Buy it/Try it/Return it/Keep it.....nothing to lose by testing it, given your other 14 tops already :D

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Helmets

I'll be updating this again soon, after some more research I've ordered the Poc Coron Air helmet, the tech is fantastic, I can't think of any of helmet for mtb that would help prevent a concussion really and its the only one I can see with EPP carbon too, then their own version of mips, watch this video these guys are so clued up and their background is really interesting with the other areas they specialize in

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think there's little danger in Scott being made redundant as it ticks every box which is the only top to do so, the others wont wake up, just the way things are...

I wish me and you could sit in a room with a technician to draft some plans up and get it produced as it would be better than whats out there, even without all the scientific research, basic crap like larger pads and adjustable straps is just a no brainer right? Thats ventilated yet has a good check and back, oh and lets add some elements for the rib section too and maybe a little foam here and there too....Racers elbow pads are smaller than the others btw, although its stretchy so you could upgrade them. Its the chest Im just sure its needed, that 5855 is some serious kit, I too had the idea if an additional chest but cmon, its like £400+ of gear to compensate a silly shortfall.....

Buy it/Try it/Return it/Keep it.....nothing to lose by testing it, given your other 14 tops already :D
I've not returned anything I've tried out as it's been sweaty and disgusting ! One aim was to make sure it was usable in 32-36c heat. :) Several things were returned without even being tried on as they were just not even remotely upto the task !

That's cool you think the Scott is up there and ticking boxes !!! Lets see how the Large is, hopefully the back protector is longer. It certainly looks to have one of the nicest coverage areas on the chest, whilst still letting you move your arms. I think if I have a concern it will be that it's too hot for summer use on an mtb when you're going for it. Depends how well the chest is vented and what the "kidney" belt is like. One of my alpinestars has one similar, which was fortunately removable. Riding in the heat with the kidney belt on was not pleasant.

I think the Racer is one of the few tops out there where MTBers have actually sat down with the aim of making an MTB specific top. Everything else is multi-purpose. They'll know that elbow strikes are not actually that common amazingly, but went for something so that it wasn't too restrictive and then made the arms removable for those unbearably hot days so you can still wear the main armour. I think we all go through a range of different crash types as we start out. As these evolve your back and shoulders probably ends up as the main upper body strike areas in fast crashes as you flip and roll. So on the racer, they've addressed these. Chest impacts I think fall into two types, fairly light or really hard. They've gone for very basic protection to the chest/ribs for the fairly light impacts. Ultimately it's aimed at the MTBer who's made the decission to go for some protection, but doesn't want to be weighed down or restricted and doesn't want their performance limited by getting too hot. Theoretically, I don't fall into this bracket. I fall into the "wrap every inch of the body in old car tyres" catchment. But ! Once I'd ridden in it .. it was so trans-formative compared to riding in everything else I'd tried. I just felt cool and like I could really move around and made me realise how restrictive a lot of my other armour was without me even realising it.

It's cold now and the grounds less predictable - or maybe it's more predictable - slippy everywhere.... ! :) Just got the TLD7855 out and again it makes me realise what I ultimately want from protection - lots of protection - but without heat and restriction.

Tried the 7855 on over the Racer (without the 7855 shoulders and central upper back pads) - another good combination ! Will give that a go next. Though as you say, it's crazy if you then have to start doubling up and spending £400 on armour just to get protection though !!! Doubling doesn't work when it's warm either - you just get too hot, the Mesh's all turn into string vests and trap heat.

The problem is that once you've worn a 7855, you then feel naked in anything else if you're worried about "all over protection" .. The problem with the 7855 is the bottom sections aren't armoured so you then feel exposed in the lower back especially .. and if you're worried about "focussed" protection on the main impact areas Shoulders/back and then maybe chest if you're a Muppet of a rider .. then the armour in those areas isn't really substantial enough compared to the tops which protect just those areas - though the shoulders are easy to swap out/upgrade.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles