Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Thanks, this is your body armour?

I Think this is too much for me, I only want something similar to TL 7855, I am 198mts tall and maybe is too short for me...

Is the Oneail SPV good product?

Thanks
I own the O'Neil product but based upon Lord Zimmer's advice on here I have bought TLD products in both long and short sleeve and frankly the TLD designs are a different class improvement on them as well as being better ventilated imo. I can vouch the same is also true when you fall off -- which I do too often.

No idea whether ZF is still recommending the TLD but he is very experienced at crashing in his role as the Forum Chief Jester ( oops I meant Tester).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No idea whether ZF is still recommending the TLD
I'm actually back in the TLD at the moment. I wanted to test the Camelbak protector pack, but in conjunction with the TLD.

I was doubling up with the Racer (armless) under the TLD (without shoulders/back sections). Works pretty well, but gets a bit warm if you're going for it and the temperatures above about 4c. (Wearing a jacket over the top). Fine sub zero. Weirdly, I didn't crash once in this combination so never got to test it correctly.

I've been riding for a couple of weeks now just with the TLD (with alpinestars shoulders and it's back sections back in) just to get re-accustomed to it before testing it with the camelback (upgraded with a D3O protector). You forget how good the TLD is. Had a big off just over a week ago, bad line coming through a really tight obstacle section. Went over the edge. Bike fortunately got caught in the trees straight away and I ended up 6 meters below, unharmed apart from dented pride.

Lost the front two days ago trying to go too fast, managed to stay with the bike, but slammed my forearm into a tree really hard - stung quite a bit, but all intact and continued on my way without a pause (was trying to beat a 10km/1000m climb/descent challenge). Not convinced the Racer D3O forearm would have been as effective.

Suspect I'll swap back to the Racer in spring at some point once the surface is a bit more predictable and it starts to get warm. Not that the TLD is too hot ever, but the racer is less protected, so ultimately cooler.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm actually back in the TLD at the moment. I wanted to test the Camelbak protector pack, but in conjunction with the TLD.

I was doubling up with the Racer (armless) under the TLD (without shoulders/back sections). Works pretty well, but gets a bit warm if you're going for it and the temperatures above about 4c. (Wearing a jacket over the top). Fine sub zero. Weirdly, I didn't crash once in this combination so never got to test it correctly.

I've been riding for a couple of weeks now just with the TLD (with alpinestars shoulders and it's back sections back in) just to get re-accustomed to it before testing it with the camelback (upgraded with a D3O protector). You forget how good the TLD is. Had a big off just over a week ago, bad line coming through a really tight obstacle section. Went over the edge. Bike fortunately got caught in the trees straight away and I ended up 6 meters below, unharmed apart from dented pride.

Lost the front two days ago trying to go too fast, managed to stay with the bike, but slammed my forearm into a tree really hard - stung quite a bit, but all intact and continued on my way without a pause (was trying to beat a 10km/1000m climb/descent challenge). Not convinced the Racer D3O forearm would have been as effective.

Suspect I'll swap back to the Racer in spring at some point once the surface is a bit more predictable and it starts to get warm. Not that the TLD is too hot ever, but the racer is less protected, so ultimately cooler.

hope your not too badly hurt!

I’ve lost my mojo since my accident in November and I find myself not willing to do any of the fun black descent stuff even though I know I can do it and out on trails I’m acting like I’m made out of glass atm; really does take the wind out of your sails. I think the main issue is with the rotar cuff likely to never repair fully if I fall on it then it will be horrible!

The other problem is I’ve new MT7 brakes which have changed my bike totally, new bars and the bike shop reset all my suspension for reasons unknown which another had helped set me up on (I don’t know how to set this up yet) and I’ve been out of action so with the lack of confidence and weird setup it’s throwing me off wanting to go.

I do have a new Nissan elgrand arriving in a week so I’ll have no excuses not to be getting out more but I really just want to have some lessons to give me some awareness on lines to pick, dangers to assess xyz so that the protection isn’t really required so much, Christ knows what I’d be like right now if I didn’t have all the protection.

Regarding protection the thing I’d add is if the pads DONT move then great but my experience of racer and other similar tops was the pads shift position and at some unlucky point that’s going to be a risk! Maybe wearing two tops like Zim does is the best way but I recall the Demon top coverage was excellent but was too sweaty and when the weather comes this could cause other issues.

My current Knox jacket CE1 has primary coverage in all the right areas and chest optional. It does have good forearm protection too so it’s been well thought out, even there designers mentioned CE1 vs CE2 and they felt their version of CE1 offered the best compromise and this is mainly aimed at motorbikes. It does lack secondary areas like collar bones but does cover ribs even with the newer smaller chest protector (older one is ridged and cumbersome). The back protection was a slopped mess when I inspected it but after riding with it It actually feels fine although I did exchange the top for a larger size and actually after just inspecting it seems to look as it should so my first one must have had a defect!

if only we could design a top between us and get it manufactured! The loose paddy tops only need the Velcro tightners of the Demon top, better ventilation and optional chest protection, there not far off being perfect really but why it’s so hard to design is beyond me! I’m not a fan of lacking the zip to get off either, but then I also hate laces in shoes and prefer the boa type stuff ?

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao

Then the TLD protect more than the Racer D30?
If yes, I will return the Racer and buy TLD.

Maybe the TLD 7850 without arms and min d30 Elbow protectors Would be suficient i. Case of accident and soportable in summer?

I usually cary my Knees protector, chinbar and Elbow protects inside my Evoc Backpack.

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Then the TLD protect more than the Racer D30?
If yes, I will return the Racer and buy TLD.
The TLD is a twin density foam type armour developed by Shock Doctor. The outer foam is relatively hard, the inner foam, soft. It's VERY light. ~700g.

The TLD protects more body area than the racer. The arms are protected more, the sides, stomach. Whilst it protects more area, the back protection is segmented. So for me I felt it wouldn't be that good for a really bad back type impact where something like the Racer is much better. The shoulder protection is also better on the Racer - larger area and just more protection. It's all a balance. The TLD protects more area, but the Racer has better protection for back shoulders - but the Racer already weighs 50% more because of the heavier armour - so if the TLD had the Racer type armour everywhere, it would weigh about 3kg's.

You can't ever protect for every situation, it's just finding a balance which works for you, which is also comfortable to wear.

I was 100% happy with the TLD7855 until I had my last big accident, then I decided I wanted more chest/back/shoulder protection after breaking ribs, shoulder, torn rotator cuff. I tried 12 different armours and eventually settled on the Racer - ironically with less chest protection than the TLD7855. I think mainly because everything else I'd tried was either bulky, heavy, uncomfortable, crap armour and the Racer just felt so nice, was cool, comfortable and I liked the back and shoulder protection.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The TLD is a twin density foam type armour developed by Shock Doctor. The outer foam is relatively hard, the inner foam, soft. It's VERY light. ~700g.

The TLD protects more body area than the racer. The arms are protected more, the sides, stomach. Whilst it protects more area, the back protection is segmented. So for me I felt it wouldn't be that good for a really bad back type impact where something like the Racer is much better. The shoulder protection is also better on the Racer - larger area and just more protection. It's all a balance. The TLD protects more area, but the Racer has better protection for back shoulders - but the Racer already weighs 50% more because of the heavier armour - so if the TLD had the Racer type armour everywhere, it would weigh about 3kg's.

You can't ever protect for every situation, it's just finding a balance which works for you, which is also comfortable to wear.

I was 100% happy with the TLD7855 until I had my last big accident, then I decided I wanted more chest/back/shoulder protection after breaking ribs, shoulder, torn rotator cuff. I tried 12 different armours and eventually settled on the Racer - ironically with less chest protection than the TLD7855. I think mainly because everything else I'd tried was either bulky, heavy, uncomfortable, crap armour and the Racer just felt so nice, was cool, comfortable and I liked the back and shoulder protection.

Racer also gets my vote for comfort, it really is a second skin! But no chest/ribs and secondary type areas.

how long did your rotar cuff take to heal? I’m doing physio every day and I still get shots of pain, it’s an ass of a thing!

Ive decided enough of zero action, next week I’m off out in the morning at least 5 mornings

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
hope your not too badly hurt!

I’ve lost my mojo since my accident in November and I find myself not willing to do any of the fun black descent stuff even though I know I can do it and out on trails I’m acting like I’m made out of glass atm; really does take the wind out of your sails. I think the main issue is with the rotator cuff likely to never repair fully if I fall on it then it will be horrible!

The other problem is I’ve new MT7 brakes which have changed my bike totally, new bars and the bike shop reset all my suspension for reasons unknown which another had helped set me up on (I don’t know how to set this up yet) and I’ve been out of action so with the lack of confidence and weird setup it’s throwing me off wanting to go.

I do have a new Nissan elgrand arriving in a week so I’ll have no excuses not to be getting out more but I really just want to have some lessons to give me some awareness on lines to pick, dangers to assess xyz so that the protection isn’t really required so much, Christ knows what I’d be like right now if I didn’t have all the protection.
Other than scratches, uninjured :)

If your heads not in it, you'll definitely have an accident. You need to be relaxed and confident in yourself and the bike. Lessons sounds like a really good idea. Just take it slow, there's no rush - its supposed to be fun :cool: My rotator cuff still isn't completely right. Each week (or most weeks) it slowly gets a bit more mobile and a bit less painful. I'll still do something (normally on the bike) where I'll pull it and it will hurt like hell, but I least I can swing axes again and do most things.

Maybe have a look at your suspension after/during lesson. If you're at all tense, the bike can feel completely different so fairly pointless worrying about it too much at the moment - just don't do any crazy riding and it won't make much of a difference.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Other than scratches, uninjured :)

If your heads not in it, you'll definitely have an accident. You need to be relaxed and confident in yourself and the bike. Lessons sounds like a really good idea. Just take it slow, there's no rush - its supposed to be fun :cool: My rotator cuff still isn't completely right. Each week (or most weeks) it slowly gets a bit more mobile and a bit less painful. I'll still do something (normally on the bike) where I'll pull it and it will hurt like hell, but I least I can swing axes again and do most things.

Maybe have a look at your suspension after/during lesson. If you're at all tense, the bike can feel completely different so fairly pointless worrying about it too much at the moment - just don't do any crazy riding and it won't make much of a difference.

I think it’s just feeling the bike again, I did have moments where I almost felt as one with the bike, but then I also get very as one with that tree too!
?

Chest wise, buy the knox d30 chest, it fits nicely into the racer.....I just can’t fix the moving d30 pads in the other places like shoulders etc, the CE2 being heavier I think makes them move abit or I’d have stuck with it, I still have it and very reluctant to sell, I also have the lighter knox top but I might give it to the missus

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I hope you didn't show the Mrs the video. The way you threw yourself at that tree you'd get "You never threw yourself at me like that did you ...."
?????? Zim you are the stuff of legends I swear!!!

But bro, how are you always correct?? She has never been the same since I showed her! ?

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao

Thanks, I see: in my case With the Evoc backpack the dorsal protector D30 of the Racer is not important because with TLD+Evoc is enought

The Shoulders maybe I could buy another protector like you, only this part.

And 700gr or less with TLD short version...

I read that you wear both Racer and TLD, but this is too much money and not for me.

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I read that you wear both Racer and TLD, but this is too much money and not for me.
Yup, I only do that to get the better back protection though. If you're running the Evoc, you'd achieve the same thing doing it that way.

The shoulders I stuck in are just old school ones out of an alpinestars motocycle jacket. I think I put pictures in the tld7855 review thread.

Shoulders can be quite a hard impact points so I just prefer something a bit more "meaty" there.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Okay I’m having dilemmas, the heat is killing me and as a result I’m switching up my or reducing my protection which isn’t a good thing but neither is become delirious after desert like dehydration!

I‘ve bought some gore bike wear shorts, there not waterproof but will dry out fast and seem quite breathable at least, I took my soft spongy shin pads off and tore my left shin with a strike as I was trying to do a fallen tree stump feature thingy that even my instructor had been scared to do for years, I did it twice okay but on the 3rd I tried to be clever and well, it seems I’m not that clever yet ?...

Im back on the racer, my upgraded pads are too bulky, maybe too heavy, I want something else, maybe I go back to the tiny CE1 stuff again if I can find them...I took the back out as my Osprey Raptor has a back (I wish there were holes) in it so two is kind of crazy, I noticed some of the camelback bags have a better ventilation system where it lifts the main body away to create a funnel effect.

The racer was a god send being able to unclip the arms also.....not great for getting zipped up again though one handed , had to leave undone in the end which might not be clever. I can add a Knox chest piece into the racer also, but it’s too damned hot atm

Anyone seen any breathable shin pads? I won’t be doing this again lols
2C684538-D368-4246-8B0A-50973181634A.jpeg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I own the O'Neil product but based upon Lord Zimmer's advice on here I have bought TLD products in both long and short sleeve and frankly the TLD designs are a different class improvement on them as well as being better ventilated imo. I can vouch the same is also true when you fall off -- which I do too often.

No idea whether ZF is still recommending the TLD but he is very experienced at crashing in his role as the Forum Chief Jester ( oops I meant Tester).
Hang on you say TLD is breathable? That thing looks like a sweat feast waiting to happen? Memory foam, I’ve a small bit on the racer chest and that’s the first to heat up

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The search for me has come to an end..
The knox is perfect .i can wear it all day long .Not to bulky the product is very good quality overall.
The chest pad has the perfect size so it is not to bulky but it is there to make the job. It is a compression shirt so the fit must be tight. Very easy to put it on and off and every pad is removable.
I am 1.80 80kg 102 chest and i am size Large.
Top quality from Knox here!!!
Feel free to ask any questions .
I think the urbane will be more loose fit than the action.. I bought the action and the fit is perfect...You cant go wrong with the Knox.
View attachment 45557
What’s your long term verdict? In really hot weather this ones too hot for me, we don’t get many super hot days here but I literally have to strip any shirts off and wear just this, even on some normal days too, the ventilation is good but the weight maybe makes it hotter because the material is abrasive resisting and denser, top quality, best for cooler days, I also removed the back protector since I’m using an osprey raptop pack, but that back protector isn’t the most breathable, thing either!

im still hunting for the best setup. On another super hot day I took the racer out, omg a good choice as the removable arms were a god send! I just couldn’t zip them back in place with one hand was the issue but I was taking them on/off.

now that I’ve half a clue what I’m doing I do want to lighten up on the armour somehow, might even ditch the full face....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can't believe they didn't mention how many new friends you'll make you down the local fetish club wearing it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hang on you say TLD is breathable? That thing looks like a sweat feast waiting to happen? Memory foam, I’ve a small bit on the racer chest and that’s the first to heat up
See :

It's NOT memory foam. It's the shock doctor sandwich foam. More like a PU foam, so it's light. One hard layer, one soft layer. The arm pits are open so good air there to start. Then all the pads are vented (a tiny bit) and the main material has good air flow. I'm presently unsure if ,over all, it's not cooler than the racer (A lot of the Racers fabric is not vented) - despite the larger area of protection. The Racer has the better back though and the TLD should really of had another circle of removable armour in it's lowest segment so you had the choice to armour there or not - though that's fine if you wear a bum bag/banana sack/fanny bag which is of a semi protective design.

I think the problem this year with the temperature being 12 degrees one day and 35 the next is we haven't acclimatised at all. Like you I had to take the arms off the Racer during one ride - I've not felt as hot before, except test rides in the alpinestars gear, but then you've got used to the heat normally. I think the chest on the racer is it's downfall. The foam is thick enough to insulate and create a none breathable hot zone over the chest, yet thin enough to be totally useless in a fall.

The other problem is that the None Newtonian armour pads (memory foam, sas tec pads, d3o) are generally quite thick, heavy, don't breath, don't vent that well as the hole spacing is too small and, as a material - high density foam - are fantastic insulators - so you get hot. They generally work fine in the winter months when ambient temperatures are lower, but once it warms up I'm not sure they're the best solution.

Have been trying some different armours from my stocks lately with a few new things and have some more things on the way... As usual with armour, it's all a compromise though.

Preferences are at the moment generally the tld7855. Though for more protection and possibly cooler, but haven't done enough back to back testing yet, the TLD5955 worn straight on the body with the arm pads run up as high as they will go to give more shoulder protection, worn with Leatt 3DF 6.0 elbows and a bike shirt over the top. Waiting for a Leatt 3DF t-shirt (just armoured shoulders) to arrive to wear under that for a winter option.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
interesting but no chest
I looked at that a few weeks ago .. It was disappointing.

Bluegrass have basically made a RaceFace Flank Core D3O for twice the price. I'm not quite sure how they can justify the price for something which doesn't even have elbows. It sets new standards for fashion pricing for body armour. Maybe Spesh bought out Bluegrass ? Pay more, for less ....

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Better ventilated, not 'breathable' -- in that it has aerated bits as well as underarm holes. It doesn't use Memory Foam.

I'm wearing one in 25-32 degrees C for a couple of hours. I wouldn't even attempt that in the non-TLD ones I have / had like O'Neill and Fox.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
See :

It's NOT memory foam. It's the shock doctor sandwich foam. More like a PU foam, so it's light. One hard layer, one soft layer. The arm pits are open so good air there to start. Then all the pads are vented (a tiny bit) and the main material has good air flow. I'm presently unsure if over all it's not cooler than the racer (A lot of the Racers fabric is not vented), despite the larger area of protection. The Racer has the better back though and the TLD should really of had another circle of removable armour in it's lowest segment so you had the choice to armour there or not.

I think the problem this year with the temperature being 12 degrees one day and 35 the next is we haven't acclimatised at all. Like you I had to to take the arms off the Racer on one ride - I've not felt as hot before, except test rides in the alpinestars gear, but then you've got used to the heat normally. I think the chest on the racer is it's downfall. The foam is thick enough to insulate and create a hot zone over the chest, yet thin enough to be totally useless in a fall.

Have been trying some different armours from my stocks lately with a few new things and have some more things on the way... As usual with armour, it's all a compromise though.

There is the knox chest attachment (the newer) one that slots in really well, I’m tempted to remove that foam chest pad, in an ideal world there would be another chest pad to use that doesn’t end up pressing on your skin as much but it is optional at least

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There is the knox chest attachment (the newer) one that slots in really well, I’m tempted to remove that foam chest pad, in an ideal world there would be another chest pad to use that doesn’t end up pressing on your skin as much but it is optional at least
How do you mean "slots in" ? the Racer chest doesn't have a front pocket - or not that I've ever noticed. I edited my post above with a bit more info.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
How do you mean "slots in" ? the Racer chest doesn't have a front pocket - or not that I've ever noticed. I edited my post above with a bit more info.

well you not remember asking me this before? ? it fits in just on compression alone, perfectly, buy one and give it a go you can easily sell if not, I sold the bigger chunky horrible one on eBay easy enough

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
well you not remember asking me this before? ? it fits in just on compression alone, perfectly, buy one and give it a go you can easily sell if not, I sold the bigger chunky horrible one on eBay easy enough
Yup, hence the question as you said "slots in" so wondered if you'd found some other way :)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yup, hence the question as you said "slots in" so wondered if you'd found some other way :)
It can’t move as it’s already tight fitting but the fabric being stretchy allows for it without being too tight. Wonder if a bladder would fit in the back maybe, never explored that option, would look weird though having the hunch back look however

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
anyone tried any of these look breathable and good coverage

whilst we’re here these are meant to be good

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles