Protective gear (knee pads, shin guards, helmets, body armour, xyz)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Interesting.... @Zimmerframe

noticed these combined, I’m considering ordering the action shirt and the jacket too

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Interesting.... @Zimmerframe

noticed these combined, I’m considering ordering the action shirt and the jacket too
Yes, the knox stuff is nice. Almost went for it as my first option right at the start, but wanted more area coverage as the Action shirt wouldn't have prevented a fractured pelvis at all. The quality is nice and their reactive armour has a 6 or 7 year life span if I remember correctly. The chest piece they do as reactive or none reactive depending what you want and is quite neat that it velcro's in and gives central chest protection, despite a central zip on the shirt due to the overlap.

The Aegis back protector also looks nicely thought out and effective - with good coverage. It's quite good they have the different plate length versions so at least people don't have to compromise. I found it funny at the time that they were pushing the reactive armour as being the ultimate, but then made their "best" back protector from plates and foam :)

I almost went that route to mix with the TLD7855 for a better back and, I think, you can mix a chest plate in some how. In the end I thought it was all going to be too cumbersome and hot for MTB, but who knows, that was only my perceptions.

Keep in mind that kidney belts really sweat you up and are quite restrictive if you're moving around a lot. For me, if there's a kidney belt and it's not additionally armoured - it doesn't balance out on what it should give for what it takes away.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yes, the knox stuff is nice. Almost went for it as my first option right at the start, but wanted more area coverage as the Action shirt wouldn't have prevented a fractured pelvis at all. The quality is nice and their reactive armour has a 6 or 7 year life span if I remember correctly. The chest piece they do as reactive or none reactive depending what you want and is quite neat that it velcro's in and gives central chest protection, despite a central zip on the shirt due to the overlap.

The Aegis back protector also looks nicely thought out and effective - with good coverage. It's quite good they have the different plate length versions so at least people don't have to compromise. I found it funny at the time that they were pushing the reactive armour as being the ultimate, but then made their "best" back protector from plates and foam :)

I almost went that route to mix with the TLD7855 for a better back and, I think, you can mix a chest plate in some how. In the end I thought it was all going to be too cumbersome and hot for MTB, but who knows, that was only my perceptions.

Keep in mind that kidney belts really sweat you up and are quite restrictive if you're moving around a lot. For me, if there's a kidney belt and it's not additionally armoured - it doesn't balance out on what it should give for what it takes away.

Those spinal pieces, I wonder if my spine would be in better shape with this particular back protection...

The chest I think for me will be to protect me against the GoPro I’m about to start mounting there. Not sure about hard stuff at the front but I’ve read horror stories about guys having shock pumps and things in there back pack which on impact has severed spines etc ?

Currently it’s 20% off it all, not sure which to get hmmm

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

could this help? Rebound Hernia Belt from Complete Care Shop

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Those spinal pieces, I wonder if my spine would be in better shape with this particular back protection...

The chest I think for me will be to protect me against the GoPro I’m about to start mounting there. Not sure about hard stuff at the front but I’ve read horror stories about guys having shock pumps and things in there back pack which on impact has severed spines etc ?

Currently it’s 20% off it all, not sure which to get hmmm
Maybe .. as you know by now, Every armour has it's ups and downs and are ultimately a series of different compromises. When you start mixing things together, it can make it even more complicated - but doesn't mean it won't work.

As for the plates, the ones on my old Fox titan copy were cut and chipped or missing, so had definitely done their job. Would they be better in a crash ? Maybe ? Would they restrict me more and end up making me warmer and more uncomfortable - definitely.

For the two Knox chest guards, the cheaper, none reactive "Chest Upgrade" (vertical velcro strip) one looks to give a larger coverage area and has lots of vent holes, compared to the Reactive micro-lock one. You're sort of circling round to something pretty similar to the Scott again ultimately ?

For the Aegis, I've just checked and yes, the "Chest Protector" can be attached to the back protectors chest/shoulder straps. It's like the "chest upgrade", but has plastic clips on the front.

One tip, you might think it will give an interesting action angle, but don't be tempted to groin mount your go-pro...

They also do the "track vest" . Which is the Aegis in a gillet with some racer type chest protection. I think you'd be too hot again though.

It's difficult as each time you have a nasty off, you can't help but think it over and work out how you could have been better protected. There's nothing wrong with doing this. But you also have to go through the rationalisation phase to think about what level of comfort and flexibility you NEED to maintain in order to still be able to ride properly and your protection not to become a distraction or a hindrance.

Another option to look at if you're heading down a more focussed chest/back protection route is the Sweet Protection Enduro race vest.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Trouble with the Scott one was you couldn’t remove the chest or rear for washing, I never did test it in the end but the chest did seem a bit intrusive.....of all the knocks to endure so far spinal has to be the worst thing, I wish there were more details regarding that spinal protector, I wonder if it absorbs forces and stops the whip lash effect somewhat. Last night I started doing some dynamic exercises and was feeling alright but today I woke up like I’ve been in a train wreck totally!! I might just get down to the a&e but I’m sure they’ll scan, nothing major and pack me away saying go full physio mode etc.....ironically on the way back from the chiropractor who did the mri scan (still waiting on results!) I decided it would be funny to have a car crash with a lorry, I forgot to put the body armour on like a noob for this particular stress test!! Luckily it wasn’t much harm to me but my car is feeling like I’m feeling!! That bloody tree has cost me £1k so far, I’m going to get a chainsaw and take the thing down the burn it I think ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Trouble with the Scott one was you couldn’t remove the chest or rear for washing
That is a bit of a weird design choice. Also means you can't upgrade or change things, but when it's fitted with an armour where machine washing isn't recommended, it seems unusual !

For your accident, there's so many factors and angles it's impossible to say if it would or wouldn't have helped you more. You could have jarred yourself as you first started to come forward off the bike, or when you hit the tree - we have to accept that there's no way to protect against every eventuality, only that we can improve and lessen the chances and in time, learn how to fall better/safer ! :)

If you've been MRI'd that should have already covered most things ? But with any scan a lot is down to interpretation and things can easily be missed.

You drive a car without body armour ? are you mad ?? ;)

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I've found it sometimes takes 2 or 3 days for some aspects to start revealing themselves. Use ice regularly to take the heat out and reduce swelling, so things can heal faster.

No one's asked, but I take it the bike's ok ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
That is a bit of a weird design choice. Also means you can't upgrade or change things, but when it's fitted with an armour where machine washing isn't recommended, it seems unusual !

For your accident, there's so many factors and angles it's impossible to say if it would or wouldn't have helped you more. You could have jarred yourself as you first started to come forward off the bike, or when you hit the tree - we have to accept that there's no way to protect against every eventuality, only that we can improve and lessen the chances and in time, learn how to fall better/safer ! :)

If you've been MRI'd that should have already covered most things ? But with any scan a lot is down to interpretation and things can easily be missed.

You drive a car without body armour ? are you mad ?? ;)

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I've found it sometimes takes 2 or 3 days for some aspects to start revealing themselves. Use ice regularly to take the heat out and reduce swelling, so things can heal faster.

No one's asked, but I take it the bike's ok ?
Yeah she’s fine thanks, she broke her kiox power lever mount but otherwise fine, her human heroically moved her out the way!! ?

still waiting on the MRI results, I might just goto the hospital tomorrow morning before people are out of bed and get them to do a proper job

armour wise I’m looking at the kiox zephyr jacket actually, wondering if it’s breathable enough l, there’s one on offer for £75 off currently (£200) but it’s full CE2 and looks half decent, very subtle etc, winter also etc

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
armour wise I’m looking at the kiox zephyr jacket actually, wondering if it’s breathable enough l, there’s one on offer for £75 off currently (£200) but it’s full CE2 and looks half decent, very subtle etc, winter also etc
Looks pretty breathable - not sure how that will translate to real life. Part of me thinks you have to buy the chest protector separately, but they're not expensive.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Looks pretty breathable - not sure how that will translate to real life. Part of me thinks you have to buy the chest protector separately, but they're not expensive.
Comes included unless there sneaky and take it out, I think it’s the micro lock one, I wonder why they think the smaller version is better and worth more....you can get the larger one for £20, CE1 chests (were I said ‘full’, you’ll know what I meant ?)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@THEStuntman is right about sizing, you have to size up and ignore the Knox site, on this occasion I ignored some user reviews saying it’s too small but they too were right! So you can have compression but when you stand it then reveals your 6 pack etc!

So I’m going to try the XL action and the XL urbane pro, I have to say that the quality of the urbane is very apparent and it just looks cool AF I think, the armour is really subtle with no major yellow coloured armour bleeding through etc, it can serve as a jacket or a base layer but you’d need to wear a T-shirt under or something I think as the stitching may irritate. One thing to note is the weight, the fabric is rated as motorcycle level and fully abrasive resistant, but the cost is more weight, I estimate around 30% more so it’s considerable, the armour of its CE1 seems way more substantial than the racer top without the bucket feel.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
it is CE1 but there bigger sizes CE1 and they feel very effective too, I don’t feel like I’d need to go CE2 with these tbh, I’ll be going to store tomorrow to test

I can say that the action shirt I’ve tried (L) is a better option than the Racer, I suspect the fabric might not be as breathable (I’ll do my treadmill test) but it has better sized protection and the pads are more secure then the chest is optional

In fact it’s given me a problem now as I had bought the most excellent Gform eline elbow pads but the action shirt does the job! The racer pads were shifting around too much for my liking so I was going to unzip the arms or faff with adding Velcro

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@Zimmerframe Knox Micro-Lock Chest - Mens One Size will complete your racer top, literally sits inside and has nowhere to move, it’s quite comfy also

I’ve got the Knox action shirt and the Knox urbane pro....the back protector is a sorry heavy slug like bendy slop of a thing, literally once replaced the tops are lighter! I’d go as far as saying defective in reality and flawed in design, the vent holes close shut because of how sloppy the thing is.

From the outside it looks normal but on the back it’s evident, I did my treadmill test and my back was sweating which prompted the further investigation, not impressed

Other than that the action isn’t as breathable but the pads are fixed in position and movement is limited, the racer ones hang off my shoulders and elbows at times! I have to thing safety first, I’ve not given up on the Racer but can’t see a way to fix the shoulders easily.

The Knox Urbane is very impressive, it’s weighty, looser but everything again keeps in position, it’s just better ventilated which sold me. I’m aiming to get rid of a top at one point but I’m getting my other half into it so she can wear one too.

I’m about to ‘resume’ riding if I can fix my silly 550 error that keeps popping up now

09B91C49-F096-4B28-BD44-8C84C96A2613.jpeg

A026D114-F1CA-490B-B4F2-7F1B2E3A98D2.jpeg

7F217C3A-677F-4E19-8641-FC3BA212E96E.jpeg

28EE8A1C-5CD4-426F-9399-4DEA7512EDFA.jpeg

DC221C31-F648-4339-8995-11DC7E2AF2BF.jpeg

7135429C-5A2F-4552-9F38-40B68CECE024.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’ve got the Knox action shirt and the Knox urbane pro....the back protector is a sorry heavy slug like bendy slop of a thing, literally once replaced the tops are lighter! I’d go as far as saying defective in reality and flawed in design, the vent holes close shut because of how sloppy the thing is.
So with the Micro Lock chest, you just slide in and zip up and compression holds it in place ? Or does the velco strip sort of friction to the Racer ??? Could be a good solution !

I have a friend with the Knox Action who loves it (for moto-x) so almost went for one of those at the start but it lacked the area of coverage I was looking for at the time.

That back does look like a sloppy slug - and SWEATY !

Interesting that the "Urbane" is better vented than the "Action" !

I'm just running a reduced pad (no back/shoulders) TL7855 over the armless Racer at the moment. Gives good elbows, forearms, biceps, shoulders, back, sides, semi good doubled up chest, various collar bone and other areas. The main problem now is that with the temperature dropping and both the Racer and the TL being very breathable - it's FREEZING, so you have to spend the first 5 minutes bunny hopping like a maniac to get warm ! Might have to start wearing a shirt over the top. I don't seem to have the shoulder problem you have with the Racer unless I go out of my way to drag them about. Maybe you need to round off your shoulders ? Do a handstand against the wall and push up 10 times. That should give you a couple of inches in a few weeks.

Glad to hear you might be getting to something your comfortable in that fits for you ! It can be a long journey !!!

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I always wear a pack, and have found that it does protect my spine very well. Its been a lot of years since I've gone OTB, now a days I seem to just fall over. After having both hips replaced I do wear G-Form shorts and have noticed the force still gets thru to my hip but I am certain its better than nothing.

In reading thru this thread I see many other options that would protect my hips better - thank you much for starting it, I'm sure I'll be sitting here today re-reading it a few times in search of better protection.

I ride alone mostly and do wear an apple watch and have found the fall detection to work well, its not had to call 911 for me yet but at least I know that as long as there is cell service it will. I see it as another layer of protection. I also get a running total of my "hard falls".

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So with the Micro Lock chest, you just slide in and zip up and compression holds it in place ? Or does the velco strip sort of friction to the Racer ??? Could be a good solution !

I have a friend with the Knox Action who loves it (for moto-x) so almost went for one of those at the start but it lacked the area of coverage I was looking for at the time.

That back does look like a sloppy slug - and SWEATY !

Interesting that the "Urbane" is better vented than the "Action" !

I'm just running a reduced pad (no back/shoulders) TL7855 over the armless Racer at the moment. Gives good elbows, forearms, biceps, shoulders, back, sides, semi good doubled up chest, various collar bone and other areas. The main problem now is that with the temperature dropping and both the Racer and the TL being very breathable - it's FREEZING, so you have to spend the first 5 minutes bunny hopping like a maniac to get warm ! Might have to start wearing a shirt over the top. I don't seem to have the shoulder problem you have with the Racer unless I go out of my way to drag them about. Maybe you need to round off your shoulders ? Do a handstand against the wall and push up 10 times. That should give you a couple of inches in a few weeks.

Glad to hear you might be getting to something your comfortable in that fits for you ! It can be a long journey !!!

Is this one off handstands for those results? ?. Well my shoulders are lovely and round (not as lovely as a year ago!) but it’s not that I’m just a tight package so I’m fairly narrow or maybe it’s just the weight of the CE2 pads pulling down abit or the shape even, I could probably Velcro to the pads and the armour using glue but then it might wash out etc....I’ve thought about the TL solution you have, it’s possibly the best one but I don’t like the non zipper of the TL, that said id happily test it out; I’m sure it’s a good option as the TL probably holds your racer pads in place too!

I went out in the Urbane earlier and didn’t notice it on at all, I only had a t-shirt on underneath and my arms didn’t feel any abrasion I felt I might. I was worried about stitching and the neck too but I didn’t notice anything, ventilation was good. I wear goretex trousers and jacket, weirdly this combo keeps me really warm! I say weird as the goretex doesn’t hold thermal qualities to my knowledge. My hands on the other hand (not that I have 3 hands!) were frozen but I bought some ‘uncool’ sealskinz thermal cycling gloves which will be great I Imagine and I’ll be wearing tomorrow! (My backs aching a little though!)

The Knox chest, yeah it’s compressed in there, the Velcro doesn’t bind to anything but it’s so snug it’s almost meant to be!

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
I read Carl and Zimmer about Body Armour and I am more confused looking for my first body Armour.
I am from Spain and have a Orbea Wild, I like enduro but I am not a Hope rider?

I usually ride with Evoc 18L backpack , RF Ambush Knee and Elbow protector D30, and Giro Switchblade.

I want more protection in case of accident, one friend broke his clavicle 5 days ago.

Firt I ser the Bluegrass D30, later this:
Sequence Protection Jacket — Short Sleeve

And know I think maybe there are better options like Scott, Leatt or? Help me pelase! ?
This? Scott Softcon 2 Body Armor Protector de pecho - mejores precios ▷ FC-Moto
Maybe the 7855 will be nice with Ce1 clavicle protection...
Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No armour will stop you breaking your clavical.
Carrying an 18l backpack may actually be enough excess weight to make the difference between jarring your collarbone and breaking it in certain falls ;)

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
No armour will stop you breaking your clavical.
Carrying an 18l backpack may actually be enough excess weight to make the difference between jarring your collarbone and breaking it in certain falls ;)
Thanks, is not 18l, sorry, 12l, but usually without water, only spares and food, 3kg aprox, is not a protective backpack but I Think mucho better than nothing.
This is mine EVOC Stage 12L | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

I am looking body armour similar a 7855 but with more protection if os possible. What kind of armour do you use?

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What kind of armour do you use?
@Gary uses his natural Scottish toughness as armour. Though sometimes he will wear a t-shirt if it's really really really cold.

I think I put a post about it somewhere, but the armour thing is all about compromises and your individual requirements.

7855 - VERY light weight, good all round coverage, back, sides, shoulders, arms, chest. BUT not brilliant protection. Though, the armour is surprisingly effective for most situations, but don't expect it to stop you breaking ribs in really hard hits - though most armours won't if the angle/speed is correct. The 7855 is also let down by the bottom section not being armoured. They could have added removable armour pads here too, giving people more choice. The 7855 has the added advantage of being cool to wear, it's very well vented.

From there there's a million options and plenty of threads. But you just need to decide what you want to protect, why, how much warmer you're willing to get if you're wearing it in 35c and how much potential restriction to body movement you're willing to accept as a trade off with heavier armours. I almost bought the softcon but decided it would be too heavy. Also, the armour isn't removable, so you can't machine wash it or change the armour. I also thought it would be too hot for summer use. Carl has had two I think, but I don't think kept either. It looks great on paper, but it depends what you're doing and how you ride.

Look in the reviews section, there are several discussed at length in there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am looking body armour similar a 7855 but with more protection if os possible. What kind of armour do you use?
Personally. I don't use any unless riding pure DH on uplifted tracks on my (normal) DH bike and even then just knee pads and a full face helmet but because of Covid I haven't even ridden my DH bike for a year.
For normal riding I rarely ever even wear a helmet. Infact I can't remember the last time I did. probably worn one 3 times in the last year and I ride pretty much every day.
It's really not as dangerous an activity as folk seem to think it is.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Personally. I don't use any unless riding pure DH on uplifted tracks on my (normal) DH bike and even then just knee pads and a full face helmet but because of Covid I haven't even ridden my DH bike for a year.
For normal riding I rarely ever even wear a helmet. Infact I can't remember the last time I did. probably worn one 3 times in the last year and I ride pretty much every day.
I think the danger is relative at Speed, Donwill tracks, our Skills and little bit of Lucky.

In my case the risk is in every enduro trail or DH trail, I am not a good rider but like emtb Gravity or enduro.

Maybe 7855 will be OK, or something light like Bluegrass 3D:

Or Hebo?

Thanks

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
It is just plain stupidity not to wear a helmet or we don’t have the full story here.

Luckily it’s just one guys opinion in internet like mine here.;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. Its actually a calculated thoroughly risk assessed decision. Far from stupid.
Do you wear a helmet for any other daily activities? No? Thought not.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
No. Its actually a calculated thoroughly risk assessed decision. Far from stupid.
Do you wear a helmet for any other daily activities? No? Thought not.

Gary at times you are a fountain of knowledge but I think you’ve maybe banged your head without realising I’m afraid ?

My own ‘special’ example:
now I’m sure your comeback would be, ‘what idiot rides in the wet xyz’ but that’s Britain’s for you, point is all levels of riders can slip instantly and go head/face first into anything....my best tree hug effort happened in around 2 seconds, I’d jumped over a rock, pushed off tree 1 slammed into tree 2 and it was my helmet visor that made a good connection to the tree, had I not had a helmet what would have happened? I’d probably have no teeth left or I’d have been asleep for abit maybe ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It is just plain stupidity not to wear a helmet or we don’t have the full story here.

Luckily it’s just one guys opinion in internet like mine here.;)

There was the Demon top which is like a bigger version of the TL stuff but I felt it would be too sweaty so sent that back. I settled on Knox urbane in the end just because the pads stay in the right positions which didn’t happen with all the other tops, there only CE1 but they are better spread out, it also has a very good detachable chest plate too so on the whole I’m fairly happy.

I just need my dumb rotar cuff to heal which seems to be taking forever at the mo

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
There was the Demon top which is like a bigger version of the TL stuff but I felt it would be too sweaty so sent that back. I settled on Knox urbane in the end just because the pads stay in the right positions which didn’t happen with all the other tops, there only CE1 but they are better spread out, it also has a very good detachable chest plate too so on the whole I’m fairly happy.

I just need my dumb rotar cuff to heal which seems to be taking forever at the mo
Thanks, this is your body armour?

I Think this is too much for me, I only want something similar to TL 7855, I am 198mts tall and maybe is too short for me...

Is the Oneail SPV good product?

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A fairly casual hoodie with a back protector built in.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Thanks, this is your body armour?

I Think this is too much for me, I only want something similar to TL 7855, I am 198mts tall and maybe is too short for me...

Is the Oneail SPV good product?

Thanks

Yeahs that’s mine, there is normally sizing guides, I’ve never tried the O’Neil personally

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles