Pole Voima 190mm Travel EMTB

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
What’s crazy to me is if I buy just the Race frameset and then on my own ONLY purchase a Zeb Ultimate, AXS dropper, and XX t-type, I’ll be at approx $11,150!
Or If I bought the complete race bike with the Zeb Ultimate, AXS dropper, and XX t-type, and everything else that completes the bike I’d be paying $11,200!! Then I would sell off the new brakes, rims/tires, cranks, bar & stem, rear shock, to install what I want.
It seems the framset should be cheaper!
I’ve got an LED raw K1; Zeb ultimate, Axs deraileur with Shimano drive 👍, axs dropper, EXT arma, h1700 wheels, MT7 brakes I’m thinking of selling for $8500

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
What’s crazy to me is if I buy just the Race frameset and then on my own ONLY purchase a Zeb Ultimate, AXS dropper, and XX t-type, I’ll be at approx $11,150!
Or If I bought the complete race bike with the Zeb Ultimate, AXS dropper, and XX t-type, and everything else that completes the bike I’d be paying $11,200!! Then I would sell off the new brakes, rims/tires, cranks, bar & stem, rear shock, to install what I want.
Can you still buy the Race ID?

Upon further review, I’m glad I ordered the Race ID complete 190 mm when I did…as far as I can tell, while the changed site is more flexible in terms of ordering options (complete or frame), the CX race motor no longer appears to be one.

I specified the standard shipping.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I’m not sure how Leo attached this, but he has a holder on the top tube. Obviously it’s not an ideal spot, but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

View attachment 119349
Couldn‘t a Fidlock twist uni base be used, either on the top tube or under the battery?

Not sure how secure those are (rubber bands)…I had an old xc bike with a water battle mount on the outside of the down tube, it was always getting pretty dirty.

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Can you still buy the Race ID?

Upon further review, I’m glad I ordered the Race ID complete 190 mm when I did…as far as I can tell, while the changed site is more flexible in terms of ordering options (complete or frame), the CX race motor no longer appears to be one.

I specified the standard shipping.
Yeah, it looks like all of the race motors they have are now only an option for the S-Onni and as of right now, they are not an option for the Voima. Glad I have mine already too!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I’m thinking of switching to a Wild, feel like I want a slightly more nimble bike.
There's a lot of capable 160/170mm travel if you dont need the massive travel of the Voima around.

Crestline, the new canyons look good as does the comencal. If you a happy to have shimano then there's a whole swathe, fezzari timp peak, sc bullet, an the list goes on.

Yeah the orbea wild looks real good unless you want to swap a battery mid ride. Then you are in the hurt locker.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Frame sets are never a cheaper option.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
There's a lot of capable 160/170mm travel if you dont need the massive travel of the Voima around.

Crestline, the new canyons look good as does the comencal. If you a happy to have shimano then there's a whole swathe, fezzari timp peak, sc bullet, an the list goes on.

Yeah the orbea wild looks real good unless you want to swap a battery mid ride. Then you are in the hurt locker.
Bosch is king for now! Crestline is epic but 12k, Strive-on won’t be US till September and big reach for a short dude, commencal 625wh. I’ve run through all the options 🤪
Never in my 3years of riding emtb have I swapped a battery mid ride and the powermore may help there if needed. 🤙

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Race motor is still an option on the Voima

IMG_6039.png

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Bosch is king for now! Crestline is epic but 12k, Strive-on won’t be US till September and big reach for a short dude, commencal 625wh. I’ve run through all the options 🤪
Never in my 3years of riding emtb have I swapped a battery mid ride and the powermore may help there if needed. 🤙
I’d spend $12k on a Crestline RS 75/50 but they’re all sold out. They only sell a batch of 50 at a time.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Sounds like the wild is for you then.

Awesome bit of kit. I'd have one if I hadn't decided to go down the big travel with swappable battery option.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
I’m thinking of switching to a Wild, feel like I want a slightly more nimble bike
I demoed a Race CX Wild at the Bosch booth at Sea Otter while they held my Voima that rode in on, so I was able to a clear comparison and contrast between the 2 bikes as well as differentiating between the race and non-race motors. The Wild felt like a better Orbea Rise, due to the superiority of Bosch over Shimano, IMO. The geometry was more Trail like than enduro, and felt somewhat more nimble than my Levo. But in the end, for me, "less is less" and with the Voima, "more is more". The Voima is neither full downhill nor full trail, but really something else. I've gotten used to it so much now, that other bikes feel "conventional" now, and frankly less capable.

That said, the Wild was impressive. But then again, if I was fancying the Wild for nimbleness, I would find a way the throw a leg over the Sonni, that I suspect would feel more nimble and light-weight and more mullet-friendly gig than Voima, despite it being cast as a downduro. Heck, maybe put an SX-version of a Sonni (if eventually available) against a Rise.

Oh, and I agree with others that a 170mm Voima does not make sense. I would want a more nimble and lighter bike with 20mm less travel. Not enough credit is given to the Sensei suspension working so well at 190mm.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, there is really no valid reason to have less travel on a Voima. It pedals so good and climbs so good as is, why would you give up travel and loose DH capabilities when you won’t gain anything else? I think Pole is really just trying to appeal to people that want something more conventional and can’t comprehend that you’re not losing anything by having more travel. Same reason for creating the Onno/S-onni. It just looks more conventional, especially the rear triangle.
Well you gain lighter and more nimble with quicker steering.

I am a firm believer that you should match the bike with the terrain you most enjoy. For most people 150/160 bike is optimal for the tracks they ride. Why have a wad more travel if you most zip around green and blue tracks with the occasional black track?

Everything is a compromise. More travel, slacker, longer all adds up to dulling down the easy tracks and makes the harder tracks come alive.

In my mind Voima makes little sense for flatter easy tracks. Sure you can rip around them and have fun, particularly in turbo mode smashing uphill burms and such. But I could have the same fun if not more on my daughter orbea rise on those easy tracks. Its quicker to turn, lighter and more chuckable. Its a fun steed in that enviroment.

I followed my mate around the local xc tracks and he was on his wife's giant E liv. All I could do was keep up... just. There was no advantage of the Voima in that instance.

BUT. Point it up or down something stupid and it makes perfect sense. Everything about the Vioma is configured for stupid up and down. Even the crazy steep seat angle. Its horrible on the flat. But when you are pedaling up something horendous,,, boom perfect seat position. That's why I bought one. I am all about stupid up and down.

One thing I don't get is the fact that many Voima owners are just putting around on easy tracks. It's really hard to find Voima footage of dudes riding the bike in anger. Like almost no footage at all.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
What do the Pole frames weigh typically? Guess what I'm asking is what is the weight penalty for the Machined Al frame vs. like a Wild?

Really liking Leo's ethos and geo choices. I wish for a lighter version of his frames, but then he wouldn't be able to crank out a new configuration every other week as it seems he does now.

My e-bike terrain is Blacks, but it's also slow and loose rocks (slippery!) and requires lots of pedaling and doesn't have huge jumps or drops (but plenty of medium stuff). So light and more average travel (I'm on 160/ 160 currently) just seems about right.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Why dont you share a vid of all the gnar you're hitting on your voima?!
I will aim to. So I'm not just talking it up with no action.

It's been torrential rain and slop since I've got the Voima. The bigger lines need to dry out to a bit to hit.

Heading to Roturua this weekend. I might be able to get a bit of footage if it stops raining cats and dogs.

Ps, Your video's are awesome. I love the ride I and down the mountain section with the rocky stairs. That is cool.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Well you gain lighter and more nimble with quicker steering.

I am a firm believer that you should match the bike with the terrain you most enjoy. For most people 150/160 bike is optimal for the tracks they ride. Why have a wad more travel if you most zip around green and blue tracks with the occasional black track?

Everything is a compromise. More travel, slacker, longer all adds up to dulling down the easy tracks and makes the harder tracks come alive.

In my mind Voima makes little sense for flatter easy tracks. Sure you can rip around them and have fun, particularly in turbo mode smashing uphill burms and such. But I could have the same fun if not more on my daughter orbea rise on those easy tracks. Its quicker to turn, lighter and more chuckable. Its a fun steed in that enviroment.

I followed my mate around the local xc tracks and he was on his wife's giant E liv. All I could do was keep up... just. There was no advantage of the Voima in that instance.

BUT. Point it up or down something stupid and it makes perfect sense. Everything about the Vioma is configured for stupid up and down. Even the crazy steep seat angle. Its horrible on the flat. But when you are pedaling up something horendous,,, boom perfect seat position. That's why I bought one. I am all about stupid up and down.

One thing I don't get is the fact that many Voima owners are just putting around on easy tracks. It's really hard to find Voima footage of dudes riding the bike in anger. Like almost no footage at all.
Soon… but still solidly in “dad send” territory 😂

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Brand new Pole gravel bike prototype footage:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Soon… but still solidly in “dad send” territory 😂
Hehe, sure. Certainly for style I'm firmly in dad send territory. Chasing my boy around and his rubbery groms. Those little buggars have style oozing out of them. I'm not doing any tricks.

But I am hitting reasonably sized features. I'll upload some stuff when the weather is good enough. I'm itching to send the Voima into some chunky jumps and drops.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well yesterday was farken awesome.

Did a season on the Rotorua gondola. 13 runs of mainly high speed jumping.

Suspension is now dialed. Voima doesnt do anything strange on the take offs. It feels more enduro bike than dh fir jumping. Ie it absorbs the take off faces less. Landing the big step down was a breeze. No bottoming out, it's a hard hit usually but not on the voima, the ext arma is doing a stellar job I reckon.

I don't agree with Leo. This bike doesn't blow through its travel too fast for the bike park or high speed dh runs. In fact, the rear end handles the hard hits better than my dh bike, my dh bike Is an 2016 mondraker with a base line fox coil. Custom tune arms kicks the old fox's arse!

I was chasing my 15yo boy and his 3 mates around the bike park. When their arms were getting arm pump due to the constant rough juddar of the braking bumps I want. High speed across the washboard bumps was pillowy. I do have to hand it to that zeb ultimate. That is a kick arse single crown. I'm not wanting for a dual crown on this bike.

My main 2 gripes of the day were not Voima design related. It was heavy full fat e weight and speed limiter related.

The Mr black jump run 90% faster than 32kph limiter. A few pedals at the start would see me exceed the limiter and then I'd be pedalling a heavy brick. The heavy slow e was a disadvantage because just when you needed more speed the engine would cut out and you couldn't accelerate as fast as a standard bike. The other negative is that you have sweet fa pop dew to the weight for those kickers than need generous pop to clean what ever the feature is. I couldn't clean all the jumps on the jump line because the bike was too heavy and slow after motor cut off. It would be good to have motor assist to 50kph. Then you could at least match standard bike speed on the fast jump runs.

After 13 runs the boys were spent. But I was fresh. 190mm of travel means your not as bashed around.

I then went for an e session in the redwoods forest for 2 1/2 hours of turbo boost for another 1000m vert, 4 more runs grade 5 and 6 black and double black steep tech.
Mullet Voima absolutely loves the steep tech. Soooooo much control!

At 5'10 the k1 size is perfect for descending for me. So glad I got this size.

The downside to k1 size is the short tt. It makes sense on the steep tech up and through single track it isn't a problem. But on the fire roads it's just too short. I have the seat slammed right back and still want for more stretch. I find myself draping my hands over the front of the bars to get more stretch. I even though old school bar ends would be useful....

I think testing is now complete. Now I just ride the bike like I stole it.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Well yesterday was farken awesome.

Did a season on the Rotorua gondola. 13 runs of mainly high speed jumping.

Suspension is now dialed. Voima doesnt do anything strange on the take offs. It feels more enduro bike than dh fir jumping. Ie it absorbs the take off faces less. Landing the big step down was a breeze. No bottoming out, it's a hard hit usually but not on the voima, the ext arma is doing a stellar job I reckon.

I don't agree with Leo. This bike doesn't blow through its travel too fast for the bike park or high speed dh runs. In fact, the rear end handles the hard hits better than my dh bike, my dh bike Is an 2016 mondraker with a base line fox coil. Custom tune arms kicks the old fox's arse!

I was chasing my 15yo boy and his 3 mates around the bike park. When their arms were getting arm pump due to the constant rough juddar of the braking bumps I want. High speed across the washboard bumps was pillowy. I do have to hand it to that zeb ultimate. That is a kick arse single crown. I'm not wanting for a dual crown on this bike.

My main 2 gripes of the day were not Voima design related. It was heavy full fat e weight and speed limiter related.

The Mr black jump run 90% faster than 32kph limiter. A few pedals at the start would see me exceed the limiter and then I'd be pedalling a heavy brick. The heavy slow e was a disadvantage because just when you needed more speed the engine would cut out and you couldn't accelerate as fast as a standard bike. The other negative is that you have sweet fa pop dew to the weight for those kickers than need generous pop to clean what ever the feature is. I couldn't clean all the jumps on the jump line because the bike was too heavy and slow after motor cut off. It would be good to have motor assist to 50kph. Then you could at least match standard bike speed on the fast jump runs.

After 13 runs the boys were spent. But I was fresh. 190mm of travel means your not as bashed around.

I then went for an e session in the redwoods forest for 2 1/2 hours of turbo boost for another 1000m vert, 4 more runs grade 5 and 6 black and double black steep tech.
Mullet Voima absolutely loves the steep tech. Soooooo much control!

At 5'10 the k1 size is perfect for descending for me. So glad I got this size.

The downside to k1 size is the short tt. It makes sense on the steep tech up and through single track it isn't a problem. But on the fire roads it's just too short. I have the seat slammed right back and still want for more stretch. I find myself draping my hands over the front of the bars to get more stretch. I even though old school bar ends would be useful....

I think testing is now complete. Now I just ride the bike like I stole it.
Standard Zeb Ultimate with the charger 3 damper? I initially was quite surprised on how much I liked the standard fork until I found some really chunky terrain and then I realised what the tuners meant about the damper not being that controlled when things get choppy. Everwhere else it's fine. Chassis is on point, small bump (after servicing it) is good, new air spring is ok too but yeah, when it gets chunky sore hands happen.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Same experience. Initially very good impression, but my 180mm lyrik rct3 + smashpot + custom tune is better, especially on brake bumps. Still shaky but more controlled and less sore hands. TI handlebars help a lot too.
Still, 2023 zeb ultimate is an impressive factory fork, but doesn’t compare to personally tuned coil, not surprising.

I wish there was a 190mm coil conversion kit, there isn’t one… I might get ext era lt, but later. Zeb is good enough for now, especially for heavy meatsuit.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Standard Zeb Ultimate with the charger 3 damper? I initially was quite surprised on how much I liked the standard fork until I found some really chunky terrain and then I realised what the tuners meant about the damper not being that controlled when things get choppy. Everwhere else it's fine. Chassis is on point, small bump (after servicing it) is good, new air spring is ok too but yeah, when it gets chunky sore hands happen.
Yep standard ultimate. I'm 78kg, 2 tokens, 57 psi, Lsc wound out hsc a few clicks in. It feels good in the high speed washing board and the big chunk.

No doubt a custom tune would feel better. They always do.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Anyone running a reach adjust headset with their Voima? Trying to figure out which one to get, I’m guessing Works Components
Yeah sounds like the WORKS Components is the one to get.
How tall are you and what size frame did you go with?…guessing you want a longer reach.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles