Pic of the Day

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The tree in this pic is a total mystery ..how the hell did it get here ..
A eucalyptus tree...on the edge of a harvested section in Kielder Forest ...there was even a Koala bear there as I approached...( ?skinchies..I made that last bit up ?)..everything else around it was Fir, Pine & a bit of Gorse & Hawthorn..
Spooky man .. View attachment 55967
I am astonished it has survived! They are beautiful trees. Lovely bark that shreds like white parchment every year. The leaves are silver on one side and pale green on the other. They flower every year with lovely pale yellow nacelles hanging down. The wood is very hard, but rots surprisingly quickly. They are very fast growers in the right conditions. But vulnerable to the cold.

My wife planted a tiny one so that she could have material for flower arranging. Her pruning had caused the tree that grew to have two main trunks. Years later we had a twin trunk tree that was 50' tall! It was a proper specimen and everyone that visited admired it. One trunk was almost two feet wide and the other over 15" diameter. Then one winter, 2010 I think, we had -17degC in the garden and that pretty much killed it. I paid a tree surgeon £600 to do what he could to save it. It appeared to be recovering but the following winter we had -11degC and that finished it off. It cost me £300 to have it felled and carted off. Very sad.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The missus and myself had a little drive up the road to watch the sun go down ..I took a glass and a bottle of red ..my better half had diet coke as she was driving ?( result !) ..gotta love a Northumberland sunset ( in a lay-by on the Greenhaugh to Otterburn road )
20210318_184529.jpg
20210318_184344.jpg

Upon reflection ..possibly not the best track to be playing ..as it was anything but !

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
The tree in this pic is a total mystery ..how the hell did it get here ..
A eucalyptus tree...on the edge of a harvested section in Kielder Forest ...there was even a Koala bear there as I approached...( ?skinchies..I made that last bit up ?)..everything else around it was Fir, Pine & a bit of Gorse & Hawthorn..
Spooky man .. View attachment 55967
There is a whole plantation of Eucalyptus trees near Sudbourne Bike park (FC) they are growing in a very damp area unlike most of Australia, and protected from the cold by surrounding trees. Unfortunately my wife's uncle who worked his whole life for FC died a few years ago, as I am sure he would have been able to tell me why they are there, but I am sure they were planted as an experiment.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
The missus and myself had a little drive up the road to watch the sun go down ..I took a glass and a bottle of red ..my better half had diet coke as she was driving ?( result !) ..gotta love a Northumberland sunset ( in a lay-by on the Greenhaugh to Otterburn road )
View attachment 55997 View attachment 55998
Upon reflection ..possibly not the best track to be playing ..as it was anything but !
It’s Grim up north!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Zim are you no partial to a dub now and again,
I generally try to avoid splashdowns. But I guess when you fall off as often as I do, the odds dictate that eventually there will be a wet one. This was the last one I remember, the previous winter. Wasn't concentrating, line coming in was wrong, actually no idea how I then ended up going over but it was a bullseye on the landing ...

wet.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I generally try to avoid splashdowns. But I guess when you fall off as often as I do, the odds dictate that eventually there will be a wet one. This was the last one I remember, the previous winter. Wasn't concentrating, line coming in was wrong, actually no idea how I then ended up going over but it was a bullseye on the landing ...

View attachment 56024
When I refer to my elementary forensic files…I’ve seen this before. The ole Rock-in-creek-trick. ?

8BA1A695-61B1-44DD-9179-06EE78E2AA91.jpeg

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

View attachment 56024

A suggestion for your next body armour test:

1616187174378.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles