Pic of the Day

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Night rides are in full swing, but now with added mud!
Below we found a wild MTB'r who was trapped by the use of a beer, we freed him and allowed him to ride free.

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-10 at 09.34.40 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-10-10 at 09.34.40.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-10-10 at 09.34.39.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Visiting my daughter in the South of France, near Nimes. In the Vaunage to be more precise. The Vaunage is a wide and flat valley with hills on three sides. They grow grapes and olives. I went for a ride with my son-in-law John. John rode his muscle bike, an XL carbon framed Trek with 100mm travel all round. He used to be in the British over 40's triathlon team and is still fitter than most. He was sweating a lot though. :LOL:

I had rented a Kellys emtb with a Panasonic motor. The motor had Eco, Standard, Auto and High. I found that all modes except Auto were either full on or off, resulting in a pulsing power delivery that I found disconcerting. Auto was nice and smooth so I stuck to that. My XL son-in-law had booked me a size Medium bike (I'm a Large), so I felt as though I was about to go over the bars whenever we were descending.

We did 17.6 miles (28.2km) and climbed 1700 feet (517m). The winding and steep trails are covered in what looks and feels like shattered limestone. The surface slips and slides under the wheels and the larger pieces rock and shift your wheels around. The trails are narrow and winding with spiny scrub and spiny trees hemming you in. I came off three times, twice ending up in the spiny undergrowth and needed a hand up and out. Once I got hurled off the bike backwards when I hit a broken-off limb of a tree that had fallen across the trail. It was black, in shadow, and I just didn't see it. I was lucky, although the mark on my chest is large and red, with scratches, it didn't bleed much at all.

We aimed for the local firewatch lookout tower, the highest point for miles around. And then back down and climbed again to a redundant windmill, just the tower, no roof or sails.

John's Trek in the doorway of the Fire watch tower, my Kellys bottom left. You can see some evidence of the shattered limestone that I referred to.
Vaunage 3.jpg

The Kellys, overlooking the Vaunage. Not a bad bike, forks a bit spindly with 32mm stanchions. That is the village of Sinsans below us.
Vaunage 2.jpg

"You can see our house from here!"
Vaunage 4.jpg

This is me with the Kellys posing in front of the old windmill.
Vaunage 5.jpg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
An outing to Glentress was planned so as to meet up with @Walkea (postponed for a later date)but the rain gods had other ideas…..shocking forecast for a 2.5hr drive so myself @The Hodge @drewbirks and @timberjack along with Jaco headed to Hamsterly with a dry morning and heavy showers from 13.00hrs. Turned out to be a good call Neil.
We started out on the black Pikes Teeth and a little off piste stuff before heading to the Reds.
IMG_8650.jpeg IMG_8648.jpeg IMG_8651.jpeg IMG_8649.jpeg IMG_8652.jpeg
We managed a few lops of Transmission, Poultys, Accelerater and finished of on loop around Section 13 in a heavy rain shower, totally soaked and quickly very cold. A great day out thanks Lads, already looking forward to the next ride.
IMG_8653.jpeg IMG_8655.jpeg IMG_8654.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
An outing to Glentress was planned so as to meet up with @Walkea (postponed for a later date)but the rain gods had other ideas…..shocking forecast for a 2.5hr drive so myself @The Hodge @drewbirks and @timberjack along with Jaco headed to Hamsterly with a dry morning and heavy showers from 13.00hrs. Turned out to be a good call Neil.
We started out on the black Pikes Teeth and a little off piste stuff before heading to the Reds.
View attachment 148169 View attachment 148170 View attachment 148171 View attachment 148172 View attachment 148173
We managed a few lops of Transmission, Poultys, Accelerater and finished of on loop around Section 13 in a heavy rain shower, totally soaked and quickly very cold. A great day out thanks Lads, already looking forward to the next ride.
View attachment 148174 View attachment 148175 View attachment 148176
😅🤣😂...those emojis are for the dopey look on my face on pic4..
Nice one Wayne 👍🏻
I forgot to take my mobi from the car ..so no pics from me but can concur it was a great outing ..but hell that rain was cold 🥶.
The lack of Jaco in those pics was down to the fact that he thought we were meeting at the Transmission mast and headed back up to Poultys ..but that was OK as we got an extra half loop when we caught up again 😍.
Now just about time to get the bike & kit sorted ( dry) before myself & Wayne are meeting up with @Hobo Mikey on Tuesday who has been heading progressively South from Scotland and has been in Northumberland over the past week or so ..for a ride that has been mooted a couple of months back ..the forecast ( so far ) looks as if it's going to behave itself ..looking forward to it .
Thanks to all for yesterday ..and to Wayne for the pint in front of a very welcome log fire at the Manor House on the way home ..

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
😅🤣😂...those emojis are for the dopey look on my face on pic4..
Nice one Wayne 👍🏻
I forgot to take my mobi from the car ..so no pics from me but can concur it was a great outing ..but hell that rain was cold 🥶.
The lack of Jaco in those pics was down to the fact that he thought we were meeting at the Transmission mast and headed back up to Poultys ..but that was OK as we got an extra half loop when we caught up again 😍.
Now just about time to get the bike & kit sorted ( dry) before myself & Wayne are meeting up with @Hobo Mikey on Tuesday who has been heading progressively South from Scotland and has been in Northumberland over the past week or so ..for a ride that has been mooted a couple of months back ..the forecast ( so far ) looks as if it's going to behave itself ..looking forward to it .
Thanks to all for yesterday ..and to Wayne for the pint in front of a very welcome log fire at the Manor House on the way home ..
Looking forward to it. 👍 Not been on my bike for six weeks 🫣 It is still there I checked. Fitted the stabilisers, us old fat unfit blokes need them. 😂 Bring a tow rope to help me up the hills. 👍

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Bit of Kintail Affric way today one half bone dry other half all puddles .Chew getting bike through these swing gates . Had a fast fall on a downhill bit nothing technical but front wheel just went. Convinced now that things definitely slow down or speed up in the brain when something goes wrong. A second between from being ok and hitting deck i remember thinking this is going to hurt and I won't be Kayaking tomorrow. I was ok shoulder and leg took most of it . Maybe I have the wrong tyre on eh we will never know. Cold today.

20241013_125453.jpg 20241013_133358.jpg 20241013_134548.jpg 20241013_143254.jpg 20241013_143408.jpg 20241013_143941.jpg 20241013_181923.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Bit of Kintail Affric way today one half bone dry other half all puddles .Chew getting bike through these swing gates . Had a fast fall on a downhill bit nothing technical but front wheel just went. Convinced now that things definitely slow down or speed up in the brain when something goes wrong. A second between from being ok and hitting deck i remember thinking this is going to hurt and I won't be Kayaking tomorrow. I was ok shoulder and leg took most of it . Maybe I have the wrong tyre on eh we will never know. Cold today.

View attachment 148213 View attachment 148214 View attachment 148215 View attachment 148216 View attachment 148217 View attachment 148218 View attachment 148219
Top tip on those gates ..take the front wheel off if it's a quick release maxle ..saves a lot of effing & blinding 😁

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Back on the bike after a coupe weeks off due to the annual jaunt to Florida
Last minute change of mind and headed to kielder
We didn’t get lost we just didn’t know where we were haha at all times
Were gonna do the red lonesome pine trail. But that seems like most is gone deforested
Ended up following the bloody bush trail diversions till we were just about in Scotland
Decided to turn back and ended up
Doing dead water trail riding the last black sections a few times for a laugh
43 miles was a good ride
IMG_6502.jpeg
IMG_6501.jpeg
IMG_6498.jpeg
IMG_6485.jpeg
IMG_6486.jpeg
IMG_6487.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6490.jpeg
IMG_6482.jpeg
IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_6479.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
One of the best things about being on this forum is that occasionally the stars align and you get to ride with folks you have had a bit of banter with ( a lot of the routes now ridden are with riders I've met through being on here and have become friends with ) ..and it's great when that happens .
Todays ride was first talked about a few months back when @Hobo Mikey got in touch to say that he would be passing through Northumberland heading back to the South West after working the summer season in Scotland .
As he was staying in Powburn on the Eastern fringes of The Cheviot Hills ..that's where Wayne and myself headed.
An overcast / breezy day awaited wet underneath ( thankfully no rain until heading home) ..but that didn't spoil the fun and a pretty tough ( on the legs ) 23miles followed according to Wayne's stats ..my tracking stopped part way around .
Great to meet Mikey ..he's a good rider still recovering from a quite serious ( ebike inflicted) shoulder injury which required major surgery .
He also rocks an amazing beard which I could never get away with ..but suits him perfectly and in the words of the mighty Billy Connolly ..makes him look windswept & interesting .
Many thanks also to my partner in crime ..Wayne .
Hopefully you enjoyed yourself enough for a return visit in March on your way back over the border..when we would show you a different Cheviot route
A few pics from in and around an old ruin ( no not selfies ) ..Blawearie on Bewick Moor ..the rock formations always amaze me being where they are in terms of how did the end up there?
1000008439.jpg
1000008440.jpg
1000008441.jpg
1000008442.jpg
1000008447.jpg

On Cateran Hill
1000008448.jpg

Cheers Wayne & Mikey..really nice meeting you

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Was a great day and great to meet up with Neil and Wayne. Even though they made me go up a big hill to start with. 😂 My legs were burning half way around the route but I didn’t relize we were putting our motors on. 😂 No wonder they were in front of me all the way. Neil saw a white pheasant, me and Wayne saw seagulls 😂 All joking aside I had a great time and big thanks to Neil and Wayne for making it happen. It’s a great part of the world and hopefully I will be back one day. 👍

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
A very different ride today compared with the blast around the Hamsterly trail centre. Todays ride was in the Eastern Cheviots between the A697 and the North Sea….Under leadened skys, it was cold, windy, wet in places and sometimes muddy. We crisscrossed the bleak moorland. This is a desolate part of Northumberland. Throughly enjoyed it.
I can only concur with @The Hodge with regard to meeting and riding with like minded souls found in this forum and our first meeting and ride with @Hobo Mikey was an absolute pleasure and certainly hope it isn’t the last one. Was good to meet you and enjoyed the craic. IMG_8670.jpeg IMG_8668.jpeg
The famous ornithologist Neil and
Mikey doing their thing.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
One of the best things about being on this forum is that occasionally the stars align and you get to ride with folks you have had a bit of banter with ( a lot of the routes now ridden are with riders I've met through being on here and have become friends with ) ..and it's great when that happens .
Todays ride was first talked about a few months back when @Hobo Mikey got in touch to say that he would be passing through Northumberland heading back to the South West after working the summer season in Scotland .
As he was staying in Powburn on the Eastern fringes of The Cheviot Hills ..that's where Wayne and myself headed.
An overcast / breezy day awaited wet underneath ( thankfully no rain until heading home) ..but that didn't spoil the fun and a pretty tough ( on the legs ) 23miles followed according to Wayne's stats ..my tracking stopped part way around .
Great to meet Mikey ..he's a good rider still recovering from a quite serious ( ebike inflicted) shoulder injury which required major surgery .
He also rocks an amazing beard which I could never get away with ..but suits him perfectly and in the words of the mighty Billy Connolly ..makes him look windswept & interesting .
Many thanks also to my partner in crime ..Wayne .
Hopefully you enjoyed yourself enough for a return visit in March on your way back over the border..when we would show you a different Cheviot route
A few pics from in and around an old ruin ( no not selfies ) ..Blawearie on Bewick Moor ..the rock formations always amaze me being where they are in terms of how did the end up there?
View attachment 148317 View attachment 148318 View attachment 148319 View attachment 148320 View attachment 148321

On Cateran Hill
View attachment 148322
Cheers Wayne & Mikey..really nice meeting you
Totally agree Neil it was great to meet your tribe at Applecross. Imagine a humungas meet it would be amazing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles