Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

nicknameless

Aug 14, 2020
Birmingham
Hi Gang,

Does anyone with a medium SL know if the 150mm dropper slams right down into the frame on the medium, and if possible what the bottom bracket to saddle rail measurement is slammed? Looking at demoing one with the mrs whilst up in the tweed valley soon but no small frame to try out. Looking at the geo the medium should be fine for her but worried about pedalling height.

Also I'm thinking of trying out an XL. Reach on these seems very short. Current bike is 475 and before that 495. 455 on the large is the same reach figures as the mrs last bike and she is 5 ft 6!

Many thanks in advance,

N

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading the bars on my 2020 Expert Carbon to carbon bars.... who else has done this and what do you think about your choice.

MikeInThePeaks

May 3, 2020
Derbyshire
Mine had developed a nasty clicking sound from the headset when I pushed going up hill (I have the bike unpowered 95% of the time) so took the bars off and looked at the top of the headset. It was as dry as Bin Laden’s flip flops and already beginning to rust. Obv all greased up and back together noise sorted.

the bikes only been washed twice and with a hose on gentle spray.

not ideal for a horrifically expensive bike.

61243256-32B2-4C90-A8DA-C2FC944F45A6.jpeg

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Mine had developed a nasty clicking sound from the headset when I pushed going up hill (I have the bike unpowered 95% of the time) so took the bars off and looked at the top of the headset. It was as dry as Bin Laden’s flip flops and already beginning to rust. Obv all greased up and back together noise sorted.

the bikes only been washed twice and with a hose on gentle spray.

not ideal for a horrifically expensive bike.

View attachment 38159
If you haven’t had your front wheel spindle out yet I would check that too. Had bit of a job on getting mine out the other day and had to resort to tap with round bar from behind. Quite a bit of rust from bearings but oddly they feel smooth as smoth with no play. I’ll be taking the outer seals off ASAP and re packing with grease.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading the bars on my 2020 Expert Carbon to carbon bars.... who else has done this and what do you think about your choice.
I just put a chromag cutlass 800mm carbon on and loving it. sweep is perfect.

I will say I found stock bars on the sl really nice too. I put them on another bike

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Hi Gang,

Does anyone with a medium SL know if the 150mm dropper slams right down into the frame on the medium, and if possible what the bottom bracket to saddle rail measurement is slammed? Looking at demoing one with the mrs whilst up in the tweed valley soon but no small frame to try out. Looking at the geo the medium should be fine for her but worried about pedalling height.

Also I'm thinking of trying out an XL. Reach on these seems very short. Current bike is 475 and before that 495. 455 on the large is the same reach figures as the mrs last bike and she is 5 ft 6!

Many thanks in advance,

N
The dropper on my medium SL drops to the top of the collar, about 19 mm thick. Distance from crank center to saddle rail when fully dropped is about 463 mm.

bguevarra064

Aug 11, 2020
Los Angeles
Hi Gang,

Many thanks in advance,

N

How tall are you? I'm 5'10" with shoes with shorter legs (30 inch inseam) and I'm selling the medium I just got to a friend for a large SL.. I agree with you, Spesh sizes on the super conservative side in terms of reach.

Large feels dialed for me and since the seat tube is 40mm longer than that of the medium, I can slam the 150mm Manic and be at the right height for pedaling. It's perfect.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Same here, the headsets on specialized bikes are a joke. Specialized really, really cuts corners on the small details. Share holders must run their business model.
Stripped my headset out today expecting the worst (over 1600 miles, 98%dry miles mind you)
and pleasantly surprised how well greased everything was, including copper slip on the thread for tensioning the headset!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Hi Gang,

Many thanks in advance,

N
I have an XL. Coming from smaller bikes, it’s feel much better. The pedaling position is a bit stretched ( I have seat slammed forward) if you like the more upright position. I am just under 6’1”

I think next gen they will probably update geo to be more on trend.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Stripped my headset out today expecting the worst (over 1600 miles, 98%dry miles mind you)
and pleasantly surprised how well greased everything was, including copper slip on the thread for tensioning the headset!
ya, I'm always surprised how little grease is put on pivots, headset etc by manufacturers. same true with suspension forms. often I find little to no lube in new forms.

seems weird to have to pull a new bike apart and regrease everything but u almost have to.

found my SL pretty well greased when I installed the CC link. setset not so well greased.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California

I upgraded to Enve M6 bars on my Carbon Comp. They have the same rise and sweep as the stock bars. They have just the right amount of flex. I trimmed them from 780 to 760mm.

Last edited:

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
ya, I'm always surprised how little grease is put on pivots, headset etc by manufacturers. same true with suspension forms. often I find little to no lube in new forms.

seems weird to have to pull a new bike apart and regrease everything but u almost have to.

found my SL pretty well greased when I installed the CC link. setset not so well greased.
I wonder if us Brits get an extra helping of grease due to our crappy weather? Even my Seatpost clamp bolt had grease on it!

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Second ride on the SL and crashed twice tonight. Little bit shaken but no lasting damage. Not crashed in over a year so probably due a few anyway. The front end gives me zero confidence. First crash loss of grip on the front, loose over hardpack conditions. Second over a rooty section that I normally plough through,(over the bars). It's bloody typical as I road for the first time this year with no pads, told myself it was going to be an easy ride. In fact I was in the same area only yesterday but had no issues on my SC hightower LT and we were really pushing on! I can only put this down to the forks and tyres which I hope to change this week. Still loving the change from the FF though :)

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
Second ride on the SL and crashed twice tonight. Little bit shaken but no lasting damage. Not crashed in over a year so probably due a few anyway. The front end gives me zero confidence. First crash loss of grip on the front, loose over hardpack conditions. Second over a rooty section that I normally plough through,(over the bars). It's bloody typical as I road for the first time this year with no pads, told myself it was going to be an easy ride. In fact I was in the same area only yesterday but had no issues on my SC hightower LT and we were really pushing on! I can only put this down to the forks and tyres which I hope to change this week. Still loving the change from the FF though :)
Sorry to hear that and hope you're ok! I think it takes getting used to the 2.3 tires as their limits come up quickly. Also, once you get the suspension dialed in (took me a while!) the bike performs much better.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Got a SL Comp recently and I’m loving it! Feels so nimble compared to the 25kg steamroller it replaced.

Does anyone know the stock handlebar weight from memory when you’ve swapped them out?

Also..and this is more of a long shot...but has anyone swapped to Shimano Saints brakes who could point me in the right direction of what matchmakers I’ll need to keep the cockpit looking uncluttered?

79C77B43-1E0C-4229-9AD9-BBA5979EF611.jpeg

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Got a SL Comp recently and I’m loving it! Feels so nimble compared to the 25kg steamroller it replaced.

Does anyone know the stock handlebar weight from memory when you’ve swapped them out?

Also..and this is more of a long shot...but has anyone swapped to Shimano Saints brakes who could point me in the right direction of what matchmakers I’ll need to keep the cockpit looking uncluttered?

View attachment 38326
Regarding the stock handlebar weight...

bars.jpg

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
So mission control is connected and working fine except the "Let's Ride" function. It disconnects from my bike shortly after I press "start" and this is what I get. My phone is an Android (Samsung Galaxy 9). Any suggestions?

ride malfunction.jpg

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
I've never ran tubeless before, is it a good move? First time on the trails on my new alloy comp and got 2 pinch punctures lol

Also, can you run the stock butcher / eliminator tyres tubeless?

PPS: frickin love this bike already ???

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
I've never ran tubeless before, is it a good move? First time on the trails on my new alloy comp and got 2 pinch punctures lol

PPS: frickin love this bike already ???
Tubeless is the norm now. You don't get pinch flats, they self seal, and you save rotational weight over tubes. And yes, the stock tires are tubeless ready. Go for it!

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Any recommendations for kits to go tubeless?

My bike is arriving Friday to looking forward to getting a few bits done straight away!

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
So mission control is connected and working fine except the "Let's Ride" function. It disconnects from my bike shortly after I press "start" and this is what I get. My phone is an Android (Samsung Galaxy 9). Any suggestions?

View attachment 38338
I had the same problem. Check your phone is allowing Mission Control access to GPS while the app is in the background.

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia

My bike is arriving Friday to looking forward to getting a few bits done straight away!

My FF Levo is my first experience on tubeless, and I have to say you can actually feel the difference in ride. LBS who sold me the bike really recommended I go tubeless (I was apprehensive due to dealing with punctures in the middle of nowhere), but I went tubeless and the difference was worth it. I just carry a tube & 25g CO2 cartridge for when/if I get a puncture.

As for going tubeless... my LBS threw it in for free with the purchase of the bike. Normally they would charge $25AUD for front and rear. If you are buying the bike through a shop, and if you have a good relationship with them, see if they can just make it happen for you.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Specialized bikes come with the rims all taped up tubeless ready, and they’ll give you a set of valves in with all your documentation too.
Their tyres are some of the easiest to seat - and you can probably do them with a regular floor pump without the need for a booster pump.

All you need to do is pick a brand of sealant, and buy a bottle!
There are hundreds of videos and instructions out there on how to do the procedure - it’s really straight forward!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

PPS: frickin love this bike already

Yes to all of the above

LS1Steve

Aug 18, 2020
SF Bay Area
New SL Comp Carbon owner here! First e-bike. Came from a Bronson CC X01 V2, so this will be a completely different animal all together.

Not a big fan of the purple, but couldn't beat the deal (in-stock versus ordering a black). It's growing on me, and removing every decal I could helped quite a bit. Hopefully I can find some wrap or something to reduce a bit of the purple overload and have the wife stop laughing at me for buying a girl bike :(

Read this entire thread! Wow you guys sure do value a few grams here and there! I definitely notice the weaker brakes compared to my Guide RSC, and the shifting not as crisp as the X01, but I can live with this for a while and ride it until I find out what it really needs.

Also concluded that despite tons of research, there is no way to find the right support/peak settings until I just do a bunch of rides and just compare/adjust. Even then it may differ with different rides. So many ways to achieve similar support/range performance. This stuff is built to confuse us. I guess I'll just start with defaults and tweak from there.

I'm in the CA South Bay Area (near Saratoga) so TONS of trails around, but I find myself at Demo most often since its only 35min away. I'm really looking to multiple loops on flow trail now! I value the workout so I plan to go motor off as much as possible.

Any first must-do's? Weighed in at 41.4 with heavy peddles, but tubless will be done in the next day or so, along with swapping to my fav Ti rail seat.

IMG_9049.JPG

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Specialized bikes come with the rims all taped up tubeless ready, and they’ll give you a set of valves in with all your documentation too.
Their tyres are some of the easiest to seat - and you can probably do them with a regular floor pump without the need for a booster pump.

All you need to do is pick a brand of sealant, and buy a bottle!
There are hundreds of videos and instructions out there on how to do the procedure - it’s really straight forward!

Dang it, i didn't get no valves in my pack.........

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles