Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
I would also like to do the same as I was discussing with @[B]TomH79[/B] yesterday the Expert comes with a DT Swiss hub but its unclear what would be compatible with the Specialized branded hub on the Comp / Comp Carbon. Hopefully its also DT Swiss compatible but it's unclear.

"Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”"

Expert has a ratchet hub?
Would be a easy job to find it.

s1desh0wb0b

Apr 25, 2020
Cambridge
Expert has a ratchet hub?
Would be a easy job to find it.

Based on the Specialized website spec's

Expert
"Roval Traverse SL, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, SRAM XD driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h"

Comp Carbon
"Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”

Whats required to find compatible freehub bodies for own brand hubs like comp? Sorry out of my comfort zone here.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
"Roval Traverse SL, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, SRAM XD driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h"

My bike has the ratchets instead of the pawls so i used this

1594738126808.jpeg
1594738126808.jpeg

Dt Swiss Micro Spline Freehub Body

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
My freehub fell off my SL Expert. Pretty sure I saw pawls in there before I wedged it back on....

Also, it sounds really loud like pawls.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Based on the Specialized website spec's

Expert

Comp Carbon
"Specialized Turbo, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h”

Whats required to find compatible freehub bodies for own brand hubs like comp? Sorry out of my comfort zone here.
In the U.S., the expert comes with the DT-Swiss 370 hubs, which are the 3 pawl freehubs, not ratchet. I swapped out the freehub on my stock wheels (Expert SL) to sell with my acoustic bike. The S-Works comes with the 54t ratchet.

As far as the comp wheels, they are not DT-Swiss, contacting Spez would probably be your best bet.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
hi, looking into getting the comp carbon sl. I'd like to upgrade the rear shock to a dpx2. is the rear shock yoke universal to other shocks? I know upgrading shocks with specialized in the past has been a problem

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Yes, it's universal. Just transfer the hardware from the Fox dps over to the dpx2. You'll need a DU bushing tool to remove the du bushing from the dps to the dpx2.

s1desh0wb0b

Apr 25, 2020
Cambridge
In the U.S., the expert comes with the DT-Swiss 370 hubs, which are the 3 pawl freehubs, not ratchet. I swapped out the freehub on my stock wheels (Expert SL) to sell with my acoustic bike. The S-Works comes with the 54t ratchet.

As far as the comp wheels, they are not DT-Swiss, contacting Spez would probably be your best bet.

Thanks John, will try specialized.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Please can you do the following tests and give me the results?!

1. In Mission Control motor settings, use 35/35 for Eco, 35/35 for Trail, and 35/35 for Turbo.

Notice the results (power feeling) after a ride.

2. Use 35/35 for Eco,, 30/30 for Trail, and 25/25 for Turbo.

If you obtain the same results I had, you'll be very surprised like I was!

To be sure not to skew the results, I'll give you mine after :)

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Got the new motor yesterday.
Rode it today and find out that now it assists to 28-30km/h speed and wheel size is set to 2164mm??
If im not totally wrong, wheel size was earlier 2200mm and it did not assist over 25kmh.

Need the assist to be 25kmh because in races they check bikes and you might be disqualified by that.

Whats your wheel size?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Rode it today and find out that now it assists to 28-30km/h speed and wheel size is set to 2164mm??
If im not totally wrong, wheel size was earlier 2200mm and it did not assist over 25kmh.

Need the assist to be 25kmh because in races they check bikes and you might be disqualified by that.

Whats your wheel size?
29er is 2300cm

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Please can you do the following tests and give me the results?!

1. In Mission Control motor settings, use 35/35 for Eco, 35/35 for Trail, and 35/35 for Turbo.

2. Use 35/35 for Eco,, 30/30 for Trail, and 25/25 for Turbo.

If you obtain the same results I had, you'll be very surprised like I was!

To be sure not to skew the results, I'll give you mine after :)

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Done.
the default “Acceleration “ for each mode is progressively higher. So, ideally I ought to find a setting I like, say 20/100 and apply it to each mode: Eco, Trail, and Turbo; the result will give more initial response as I go up in levels yet keep the power I want.
on a Regular Levo one has the ability to adjust Acceleration, but it accounts the same for all modes.
Pretty ingenious to preset the Acceleration by the Specialized engineers to give the little motor more useable power.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

Whats your wheel size?
Also missed the new motor comment! This is at least the second SL motor on the forum that's been replaced. What was up with yours? I'm on the fence with selling my FF LEvo and getting an SL.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Done.
the default “Acceleration “ for each mode is progressively higher. So, ideally I ought to find a setting I like, say 20/100 and apply it to each mode: Eco, Trail, and Turbo; the result will give more initial response as I go up in levels yet keep the power I want.
on a Regular Levo one has the ability to adjust Acceleration, but it accounts the same for all modes.
Pretty ingenious to preset the Acceleration by the Specialized engineers to give the little motor more useable power.

Yes you are right, the acceleration parameters are progressively higher.

But I've also found that below 30 the subjective power seems to be much lower.
Probably it's because the efficiency is lower when the power limit is low.
And the figure you set in MC is proportional to the current, not the mechanical power.

So the best settings I've found to my taste are above 30.
And I've done Presets for each Season.
Something like 30/30, 30/70, and 50/100 for Summer Preset and progressively higher for Spring and Winter Presets.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Lockey8

Sep 15, 2018
South Bucks
Tyre pressure was quite high, about 27psi all round, tyres are all oem as of the 2019 bike.. The ground was dry and loose which is abnormal for Wales. And yes, I was probably hanging my butt too far over the rear. Technically all wrong for sure... I admit ?.

However, changing directions in general, at speed, on the ff levo takes a lot of effort. I had a fun day, but today the right side of my body is in pain. Perhaps it time for some coaching?
Hi, ive fitted a new set of Mavic E-bike wheels and 2.5 Minnions to my FF Levo and it has really made the bike much more playful and accurate to ride. Any quality wheelset would make a great improvement !!

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
I’ve only had the shifter and derailleur changed to SLX but still running the Nx cassette and chain. Rode a mates brand new acoustic stumpy with Nx throughout and the shifting was not as slick as mine. Very glad I changed.
You’re running the SLX derailer and shifter with the stock cassette? Really disliking sram stuff these days and this interests me.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
160mm Ohlins M2 fork and TTX rear. Few Carbon bits, wheels, bars. Full AXS. 17.25KG in XL and 16.5 if I just remove the internal run the extender battery.

Head angle with this setup is 64.6 degrees.

View attachment 35389
Rob, any feedback on the Ohlins yet (both front and rear)? Very interested to hear as there aren't many ride reports out there and I don't want to be going in blind! Is the TTX rear the Specialized specific 52.5mm shock or did you go the generic 55mm?

Ricky1979

Feb 23, 2020
UK
Am I missing a cover here? There is a plastic cover on the other side so just wanted to check I hadn’t lost something. View attachment 36104
Am I missing a cover here? There is a plastic cover on the other side so just wanted to check I hadn’t lost something. View attachment 36104
yeah its missing, mine also, LBS have been trying to get hold of the part since March ?, all other sl alu I’ve seen have been missing the part also, I called the concept store to see if they knew anything and they were aware of the parts being missing but never had anyone try and get a part. Also they looked on the specialized parts system and the part isn’t listed??? Only the drive side cable guard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles