New Santa Cruz model

Jhill

Sep 25, 2024
USA
Bosch has been upgradable with the Flow app since 2022, no need to visit the LBS.
Oh cool, good to know. Their website keeps referring people to bring it is for latest etc.. so thought there was no user updates. I’ll have to try and play with my friends and see if the app gives any codes too since his just keeps shutting off.

TheMirrorVision

Sep 29, 2024
USA
Oh cool, good to know. Their website keeps referring people to bring it is for latest etc.. so thought there was no user updates. I’ll have to try and play with my friends and see if the app gives any codes too since his just keeps shutting off.
He may have a loose battery so any vibration could cause it to lose power. May be worth checking that. Cascade sells a solution meant to address this on Bosch batteries.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Yes, I’d read about the same rumours of a near 20% increase power which makes the 600w battery decision all the more strange as more power will rinse the battery quicker.

You know you can change modes?
Am I the only one who loves the idea of a 1kg lighter bike, with the sacrifice being having to exert slightly more personal energy on a longer ride or carry water in a pack?

What’s the end game here? A bike with a 10000Wh battery with a 2000 watt motor that weighs 22kg? So you can be as unfit as you like and not be physically able to ride an analogue bike up or down a hill?

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
A bike with a 10000Wh battery with a 2000 watt motor that weighs 22kg?
I think for me the ideal bike would be 1200Wh battery with current Bosch/DJI power available, 21-22kg. Should be realistic in about 5 years.

So you can be as unfit as you like and not be physically able to ride an analogue bike up or down a hill?
Yes, that's already very much the case for me.

Oh wait, you were being sarcastic right, sorry but we are out there! I'm not alone!

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
You know you can change modes?
Am I the only one who loves the idea of a 1kg lighter bike, with the sacrifice being having to exert slightly more personal energy on a longer ride or carry water in a pack?

What’s the end game here? A bike with a 10000Wh battery with a 2000 watt motor that weighs 22kg? So you can be as unfit as you like and not be physically able to ride an analogue bike up or down a hill?
Ultimately the end game is determined by who I'm riding with and the technology available at the time.
I would like the capability to ride for up to 40 miles, in E-MTB, without fear of running out of charge.
The waters are now muddied for me as DJI have now shown that we can have that with 120nm available.
I have a a Heckler 8, and have to carry a spare battery everywhere I go.....honestly I want to move on from that now.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Ultimately the end game is determined by who I'm riding with and the technology available at the time.
I would like the capability to ride for up to 40 miles, in E-MTB, without fear of running out of charge.
The waters are now muddied for me as DJI have now shown that we can have that with 120nm available.
I have a a Heckler 8, and have to carry a spare battery everywhere I go.....honestly I want to move on from that now.

That’s a question of battery efficiency, which is objectively good. More Wh/kg is objectively good.

Ride quality is enhances by lower system weight, almost irrefutably, for DH/enduro riding. Some people value fitness more than others. I think SC understand this and have aimed this bike at a particular market. (It’s very appealing to me, for instance!)

I rode some raw, serious DH trails today on my KSL and the downhill experience was so much better than my Crestline, which is still a great bike. There’s no getting around the 6kg weight difference however, and some days that’s a penalty I’m happy to pay with increased exertion.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
So, back to my original question, has SC missed a trick?
The DJI system, is lighter, more efficient, bigger capacity and much more powerful.

Yeah, maybe! However the Vala does seem more enduro focused than the Amflow - just look at the stock tyre spec. Super keen to try an Amflow, I might end up getting one.

My points above still stand that for what the Vala is, like for like, 800Wh is not always preferable to 600Wh, and there’s a strong case for the opposite.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
So, back to my original question, has SC missed a trick?
The DJI system, is lighter, more efficient, bigger capacity and much more powerful.
No, customers who don't care about ride quality and have no money can look elsewhere. It's said here in this forum many times that without support no bike company will start to use new tech. Because it will fail, one way or another.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
No, customers who don't care about ride quality and have no money can look elsewhere. It's said here in this forum many times that without support no bike company will start to use new tech. Because it will fail, one way or another.
So, DJI, the biggest drone company in the world offer no support and will continue to do so?

Well, it's a miracle how they have become the most trusted drone brand then really.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
So, DJI, the biggest drone company in the world offer no support and will continue to do so?

Well, it's a miracle how they have become the most trusted drone brand then really.
They don't have the support now, how you can sell bikes now with future support? I can answer myself, you can't. In future they can have best support in the wold, but there's nothing now. And nobody knows how those motor will last in real use.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
When it comes to Amflow, I would wait for year or two until people have had time to give it proper beating at bike parks to see if it holds up. Now it's an unknown chinese design that seems to be optimized on weight. I wouldn't risk my health and wellbeing by being the first one to bomb downhill and big jumps with it.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
When it comes to Amflow, I would wait for year or two until people have had time to give it proper beating at bike parks to see if it holds up. Now it's an unknown chinese design that seems to be optimized on weight. I wouldn't risk my health and wellbeing by being the first one to bomb downhill and big jumps with it.
Absolutely.
I'd much prefer a SC bike, all I'm trying to say is the DJI system in a SC frame would be mighty.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They don't have the support now, how you can sell bikes now with future support? I can answer myself, you can't. In future they can have best support in the wold, but there's nothing now. And nobody knows how those motor will last in real use.
In the UK they are sold via a dealer network (there’s 14 stores in the UK). These dealers will provide any aftercare, support and warranty. In a similar way to how you’d get support with Bosch.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
In the UK they are sold via a dealer network (there’s 14 stores in the UK). These dealers will provide any aftercare, support and warranty. In a similar way to how you’d get support with Bosch.
If it`s similar to Bosch, good luck with that 😀 at least here in Finland motors are sent to Germany and it takes weeks..

Saddlerags

Sep 15, 2019
Utah
I rode some raw, serious DH trails today on my KSL and the downhill experience was so much better than my Crestline, which is still a great bike.
Not to veer off topic too much but can you explain more about this statement? I was thinking 180mm of VPP on the Crestline would be the ultimate long travel ebike, but you’re liking the KSL more. What’s better about it?

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Not to veer off topic too much but can you explain more about this statement? I was thinking 180mm of VPP on the Crestline would be the ultimate long travel ebike, but you’re liking the KSL more. What’s better about it?
The Crestline is great for smashing and getting maximum laps in. The trails I was describing were steep, slow and tech. There’s manoeuvrability from the lower weight felt much nicer.

But I think no matter the trail, I’d prefer a much lighter bike with similar travel for the downhills. Turns, jumps and stops more easily.

Mudrider

Jan 11, 2024
oxford
I would take the SC over the Amflow any day of the week, the motor/integration might look awesome but the bike itself looks like it’s from 10 years ago. Maybe the upcoming lightweight Yeti will have the DJi motor🤔🤔
I really don't know how you come to this conclusion the frame doesn't look very different to many bikes that have this format of linkage and shock placement, i'm sure this layout was about 10years ago but so was the layout on this santa cruz, to me your just being a brand snob!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

Have you ridden a KSL? If not, go ride one down something steep and tech. The only way I can describe it is the bike disappears while you are riding it, leaving just you focusing on the trail

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Visited LBS today to buy some tools, they had grey Vala on display. Looked good...and Santa Cruz 😀 Radial Magic Mary`s looked also interesting.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
I really don't know how you come to this conclusion the frame doesn't look very different to many bikes that have this format of linkage and shock placement, i'm sure this layout was about 10years ago but so was the layout on this santa cruz, to me your just being a brand snob!
I’m far from being a SC snob. I have 9 bikes, only 1 of them is a SC and it’s technically not even a MTB. The Amflow is just ugly, it could be the best bike to ever exist and I wouldn’t buy it based on looks alone.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Saw the Vala in person at a bike show, good looking bike for sure.
1000019554.jpg

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Saw the Vala in person at a bike show, good looking bike for sure.
View attachment 148117
Looks all right ay.... cleanly positioned balanced.... l see some similarity with my good ole Norco Sight Vlt frame wise... Viola all powered Bosch latest inline geo.....

Norco releasing its 4th gen Sight Vlt 4 bar HP sometime around March - April.... I believe set up with the exact Bosch motor and 600 wh Battery..... Rolls up front 160f - 150 rear.... these 2 rigs where offers makes for an interesting ride review....

IMG_7879.jpeg

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
My guess is that, whatever we could think of these brand rushing or not to be the firsts, the first that will deliver the 800 battery will attract lots of people.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Did a short test ride. After Bullit this bike feels very light and agile. I also got a bit of light ebike vibes, because the downtube is relatively slim. Power delivery of the motor feels more refined than EP8, but almost to a point where it doesn't give that proper push in the back feeling - although not sure how the modes are configured from the factory.

50DC2D43-197A-4CDC-A900-E06D95AF9916_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles