New Nicolai with Pinion gearbox announced

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
I wonder if Cascade could make a long travel rocker and belt tensioner for extra travel. Bump the whole travel to 180/180 (or more) would be awesome!
Well, if they could get their hands on the original rocker, 3D scan, prototype, test and produce it, they potentially have a sizeable market for these.

Belt tensioner is, in my view, not the key issue here.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Well, if they could get their hands on the original rocker, 3D scan, prototype, test and produce it, they potentially have a sizeable market for these.

Belt tensioner is, in my view, not the key issue here.
The belt tensioner is part of it. I emailed Nicolai and asked about increasing the travel and they said they could not because the belt tensioner couldn’t take up the slack needed for longer travel. That’s the reason I mentioned it to begin with. So in addition to a new rocker, it would need the belt tensioner to be modified or made longer to take up the extra slack from more travel. I also asked about running it mullet and full 27.5, (which I would do) and they said I could, so there’s that.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
I have Nicolai Saturn 16 MGU order in and confirmed, build week 30 (end of July)

My build:

- Intend Flash 170/180mm fork
- MX Wheelset with Nicolai mutator
- Intend Hover shock
- Hope Tech4 V4 Brakes

View attachment 142245 View attachment 142246
Hi Rob,

I've contacted Nicolai twice now regarding ordering a frame-set and haven't had a lot on information come back. Would you be able to advise on the best way to place my order, as you have now done so yourself?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Yeah, still not seeing any Saturn 16 MGU frames for sale on their site.
@Rob Rides EMTB Would love to know how much you've been charged for transport since their site is basically doubling the price of a full bike with the 10,000 euros shipping charges.

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
If I am not mistaken, at present time Nicolai will not sell to the UK given the battery system is not approved, etc. I would think this is just a matter of time before this is resolved.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
If I am not mistaken, at present time Nicolai will not sell to the UK given the battery system is not approved, etc. I would think this is just a matter of time before this is resolved.
The issue with the batteries not being certified and unable to deliver was in the US when I enquired. I don’t think that’s an issue in the UK as far as I know.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Hi Rob,

I've contacted Nicolai twice now regarding ordering a frame-set and haven't had a lot on information come back. Would you be able to advise on the best way to place my order, as you have now done so yourself?
When I contacted them with questions, it was through their website and this is the email that they replied with, [email protected]

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
IMG_4457.JPEG

Great Bike. Orderd one after an Testride with Vincent from Nicolai. If you live in Germany i can highly recomand to do a testride.

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
Hi, could you perhaps write a little bit more about your impression of the bike, what you liked, what not, etc. Also, what size is that raw bike in the picture?
The bike is an XL.
I have been riding Nicolai bikes since 2014 and Ebikes ( Eboxx ) from Nicolai since 2019. This means I am very familiar with the geometry.
The Saturn 16 MGU is very long, just like other Nicolai bikes, but it is slightly higher at the front (I think this is a general geo trend, even when I look at the bikes at the UCI DH World Cup).
The Pinion motor is quite powerful (I come from the Bosch CX and would categorise it as such). It's absolutely incredible how clean and precise the shifting is, even under full load on the steepest terrain and with full pressure on the pedals. I currently ride an AXS Eagle on my eboxx, which I also find very precise, but the Pinion MGU is on another level. You have to get used to the fact that you can really shift gears under full load without hesitation (and without everything flying apart). Gears 1-4 are louder under load than my Bosch. The other gears feel a little quieter. Downhill, the bike is incredibly quiet with the Gates carbon belt, which is very pleasant, the motor itself makes no rattling noises.

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
How’s the weight? Is it really 27kg?
In my personal experience, weight is more of a problem in people's minds. A well-balanced bike with more weight rides much better than a light, unbalanced one. On my Eboxx, for example, I've fitted a front smashpot... The bike is heavier but still rides better. I haven't weighed it myself but yes it probably weighs 27kg. If you're looking for a particularly light bike, Nicolai is the wrong place, but if you're looking for a particularly good bike, you're in the right place ;)

Of course this is just my opinion and if it were possible to build the same good, stable, balanced bike with 4 kilos less I wouldn't have anything against it, but physics is physics. For example, in contrast to the chain, the belt requires a certain stability of the compression struts. Rotwild, for example, had the lightest possible weight in their specifications ... so they use a chain to save material ...

Edit: I am a 188 cm man weighing 115 kilos and have played handball for 30 years ... for me the weight is probably significantly different in handling than for my wife, for example.

rastablondi

Jun 22, 2024
Bavaria
Maybe you're interested in my experience as well:
I have 178cm height and 80cm leg lengh. And 90kg.
After the testride with size L and M my choice was M.
Both bikes felt good, but my personal feeling with M was better. My backbone is a bit more up and less stretched with size M.
The Bike will rock my hometrails soon. Vacation at Colli Euganei (IT) is planned for August and I have already plans for eBike travelling as well.
The Bike felt to be a good choice for my preferences.
I will report, how it is, as soon as it is delivered (mid of July) and some km are done.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
In my personal experience, weight is more of a problem in people's minds. A well-balanced bike with more weight rides much better than a light, unbalanced one. On my Eboxx, for example, I've fitted a front smashpot... The bike is heavier but still rides better. I haven't weighed it myself but yes it probably weighs 27kg. If you're looking for a particularly light bike, Nicolai is the wrong place, but if you're looking for a particularly good bike, you're in the right place ;)

Of course this is just my opinion and if it were possible to build the same good, stable, balanced bike with 4 kilos less I wouldn't have anything against it, but physics is physics. For example, in contrast to the chain, the belt requires a certain stability of the compression struts. Rotwild, for example, had the lightest possible weight in their specifications ... so they use a chain to save material ...

Edit: I am a 188 cm man weighing 115 kilos and have played handball for 30 years ... for me the weight is probably significantly different in handling than for my wife, for example.
I'm 60kg and weight is a non-issue for me. Size down if you're struggling to move the bike around.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
... It's absolutely incredible how clean and precise the shifting is, even under full load on the steepest terrain and with full pressure on the pedals. I currently ride an AXS Eagle on my eboxx, which I also find very precise, but the Pinion MGU is on another level. You have to get used to the fact that you can really shift gears under full load without hesitation (and without everything flying apart). ...
This is a huge advantage when the motor and internal-geared systems are synchronized. I experienced this when testing a Rohloff E-14 hub synchronized with Bosch CX motor. The torque sensor in the motor can detect when load is light enough to shift, even while mashing. The hub felt much better with this capability, especially for MTB.

With unpowered geared transmissions, you have to learn to ease off the pedals or pause the pedals when shifting (basically fake a clutch operation). This not much of an issue at speed but can be challenging on a steep grade and in lowest gears under full human power. To be able to mash freely is wholly welcome.

Last edited:

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I can chose a new leasebike around march 2025.
Hope i can chose a brand that makes one with the pinion gearbox. Hope cube will come up with something nice

Reno

Jun 4, 2024
Switzerland
I have Nicolai Saturn 16 MGU order in and confirmed, build week 30 (end of July)

My build:

- Intend Flash 170/180mm fork
- MX Wheelset with Nicolai mutator
- Intend Hover shock
- Hope Tech4 V4 Brakes

View attachment 142245 View attachment 142246

Great stuff @Rob Rides EMTB

If you do a video on the build, it would be great if you can detail your thoughts on:

- why Intend Hover vs Float X2 - how do they compare
- why Hope Tech4 V4 vs Intend Trinity as you also bought the fork and shocks from Intend
- your choice of wheels, in particular rear hub (single speed? ONYX, QVIST or DT Swiss with adaptor)
- choice of tyres
- frame, why the 720 and not the 960Wh battery ?!
- regarding the Flash, possible live demo of the travel adj with the Travelizer

Looking forward to seeing this new machine!

madre

Jan 20, 2020
Germany
Great stuff @Rob Rides EMTB

If you do a video on the build, it would be great if you can detail your thoughts on:

- why Intend Hover vs Float X2 - how do they compare
- why Hope Tech4 V4 vs Intend Trinity as you also bought the fork and shocks from Intend
- your choice of wheels, in particular rear hub (single speed? ONYX, QVIST or DT Swiss with adaptor)
- choice of tyres
- frame, why the 720 and not the 960Wh battery ?!
- regarding the Flash, possible live demo of the travel adj with the Travelizer

Looking forward to seeing this new machine!
Ne winfos from Eurobike : 960 Batterie is upgraded by FIT to an 1060 Wh battery. They changes the Cells they use . The 1060 has the same weight and same size than the 960 .

rastablondi

Jun 22, 2024
Bavaria
Ne winfos from Eurobike : 960 Batterie is upgraded by FIT to an 1060 Wh battery. They changes the Cells they use . The 1060 has the same weight and same size than the 960 .
Mine will be one of the first delivered bikes. But I expect the 960 Wh battery to be in. I guess they will clean the stock of old 960Wh first.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
960wh, that's actually insane isn't it... we're going to be getting to the realms of 100+ mile ebikes soon. Well, in terms of MTB ebikes that is... Rather than roadies :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles