My Turbo Levo 2019, once I hit the limit it's feels clearly

Nicco

Apr 22, 2019
Earth
My Turbo Levo 2019 is now just over a month old and now I feel a more distinct edge once I hit the limit 25kph initially. Now once I hit the limit, it's like riding through "mud" and very heavy/tough to get up to 30 kph on flat terrain. At first I barely noticed that I hit the limit.

Initially I experienced the very easily to pedaling with the engine off while I now feel clear resistance from the engine (engine off) when I press harder on the pedals.

Someone who experienced something similar ? or have any solution to this problem ?

//N

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
My Turbo Levo 2019 is now just over a month old and now I feel a more distinct edge once I hit the limit 25kph initially. Now once I hit the limit, it's like riding through "mud" and very heavy/tough to get up to 30 kph on flat terrain. At first I barely noticed that I hit the limit.

Initially I experienced the very easily to pedaling with the engine off while I now feel clear resistance from the engine (engine off) when I press harder on the pedals.

Someone who experienced something similar ? or have any solution to this problem ?

//N
software version???

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Try changing into an easier gear
The bike is quite heavy, the tyres are draggy and the chainring is quite big, so it is a bike that is hard to pedal unassisted. I was going to suggest the same thing as I find that even Eco feels like 2 gears easier (If that makes sense). Give it a try going to zero assist before you reach the limit, adjust your gears and see how it feels.
In my case when the bike was updated the dealer installed the North America version (32 km/h limit) and also modified the wheel circumference to 2000 under my request giving a real limit of about 37 km/h. I rarely pedal at that speed but before I was finding myself many times at the 22-23 km/h threshold where the assistance starts to cut down

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yes a common problem and I have no solution sadly aside from removing the restriction. I have noticed this in fact only on level terrain. When pointed down hill the motor will stop turning on and off at the limit completely and you can reach higher speeds smoothly, easily able to keep up with traffic going 35 to 40 mph although completely spun out. Probably when going downhill you get far enough over the limit that motor will shut off completely whereas on level terrain you keep flirting with the limit, over and under, over and under and it keeps bouncing on and off.
It is annoying since I commute and shop on the bike daily on mostly level terrain, in addition to three mountain bike rides per week. Don't plan to remove the restriction however so I just slow down a bit so it doesn't keep kicking on and off. To me that's the best solution. It seems you have to get a good bit over the limit for it to stay shut off and stop kicking in repeatedly. That's faster than I care to go. I will say that it's annoying at first but with time I got used to it and it doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore.

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
Yes a common problem and I have no solution sadly aside from removing the restriction. I have noticed this in fact only on level terrain. When pointed down hill the motor will stop turning on and off at the limit completely and you can reach higher speeds smoothly, easily able to keep up with traffic going 35 to 40 mph although completely spun out. Probably when going downhill you get far enough over the limit that motor will shut off completely whereas on level terrain you keep flirting with the limit, over and under, over and under and it keeps bouncing on and off.
It is annoying since I commute and shop on the bike daily on mostly level terrain, in addition to three mountain bike rides per week. Don't plan to remove the restriction however so I just slow down a bit so it doesn't keep kicking on and off. To me that's the best solution. It seems you have to get a good bit over the limit for it to stay shut off and stop kicking in repeatedly. That's faster than I care to go. I will say that it's annoying at first but with time I got used to it and it doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore.

As a newbie yet to get my bike, can I ask is it drag you experience or freewheel then motor cuts in and out on the fringe of the 25kph limit

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California

//N

Hi @Nicco, I experienced something similar to what you described. Basically, when my bike was new I had the 'new bike high' and was enjoying every bit of it. After a few weeks the speed limit cutoff started annoying me more and more, and once it enters your mind its hard to forget about. It's one of the reasons I designed the LSS to up the speed limit cutoff (it ups the limit by about 50%). So, I'd say a lot of it is mental and getting rid of that slow speed cutoff is very liberating from a mental point of view.

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
Hi @Nicco, I experienced something similar to what you described. Basically, when my bike was new I had the 'new bike high' and was enjoying every bit of it. After a few weeks the speed limit cutoff started annoying me more and more, and once it enters your mind its hard to forget about. It's one of the reasons I designed the LSS to up the speed limit cutoff (it ups the limit by about 50%). So, I'd say a lot of it is mental and getting rid of that slow speed cutoff is very liberating from a mental point of view.

Can't wait to get my LSS !!!

Can't wait even more to get my 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon to fit it on!!!

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Ofcourse. Upto the restriction there are 700Watts of power aiding you. You're going to notice when that stops working for you.

That being said, even on tarmack without restrictions I rarely ride above 30mph. (Flat that is, downhill is another story...)

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Yup, 30km/h is doable for a while, but not that funny with the draggy tyres and added weight.

Since the brose is decoupling 100% you shoulnd't feel any drag from the motor... but to be sure nothing is weird on yours, you can try it with battery off and then going 30km/h. That should feel exactly the same as with motor on.

Eddie10

Oct 7, 2018
Canada
Deristricting it isn't a big deal. I installed the Pear Tune dongle. Takes 5 mins. Best thing I ever did.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Mi
The bike is quite heavy, the tyres are draggy and the chainring is quite big, so it is a bike that is hard to pedal unassisted. I was going to suggest the same thing as I find that even Eco feels like 2 gears easier (If that makes sense). Give it a try going to zero assist before you reach the limit, adjust your gears and see how it feels.
In my case when the bike was updated the dealer installed the North America version (32 km/h limit) and also modified the wheel circumference to 2000 under my request giving a real limit of about 37 km/h. I rarely pedal at that speed but before I was finding myself many times at the 22-23 km/h threshold where the assistance starts to cut down
Mine is set 2000,cuts out at 29kmh , explain 37kmh?

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Because you said 37 not 32
To explain why I do get a higher speed limit you need to notice that the normal speed limit in North America is 32 km/h with the standard 2300mm wheel circumference, once you also modify the wheel size to 2000 your speed limit will increase by 15% (round numbers) to 37.
When I first got the bike it was set to 25 km/h and it really makes a big difference.
I hope I was able to make it clear this time

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles