M820 Bafang - LIGHTCARBON LCE930 Frame (lightweight)

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
hello,
I ride this bike now since couple of months. I ride this bike with 150mm because i choose mullet wheel.
I ask all community of this bike if you find difficulty to have pop on the front?
I have an other ebike, Turbo Levo Comp Carbon, and i have more facilyty to play with the front of this bike than my LCE930.
I have the project to ride full 29" with 160mm fork. do you think it is the right way? do you have the same sensation like me?
thanks for your feebback
With mullet and 150mm fork you must have low bottom bracket. With standard 170mm cranks it must be too low.

I have two wheelsets, full 29" with trail tires and mullet-set with burly DH tires. I like the full 29" more, even though the slacker geo with mullet setup works well on downhills. Doing everything again I would definitely have 29" for everything, it is just better overall. The fork travel +/- 10mm has very small effect.

Lifting the front wheel has nothing to do with the wheels. The LCE930 is harder to lift the front wheel because the chainstays are relatively long. On the smaller sizes this is even worse, when they are using same chainstays for all sizes. IMO chainstays should change with size to keep the same feel on the bike between sizes.

Long chainstays are not all bad, it makes the bike feel very stable, particularly at speed. And you can learn to ride any bike, you adapt as you ride. All bikes are compromises.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Longer chainstays give you the opportunity to run higher rise bars. Higher bar will get some weight off the front to counteract the longer chainstay. Best of both worlds IMO. It seems like theyve intended that. The geo is quite modern with the long stays, steepish sa , slack ha and a bit longer headtube. The longer head tubes seem to be the most recent indicator

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
I am in the process of assembling the frame.. waiting on the battery still.
Overall quality is pretty good compared to other chiner frames I've worked on.
- Finish is good.
- It didn't take much sanding to get a good paint surface.
- Seat clamp actually works.

Only few negative things I've found.
- Suspension linkage seems to be cast and pretty heavy. I really don't mind and probably saves money.
- One of the chainstay bolts is a 5mm vs a 6mm.. Kinda weird
- The shifter cable routing is pretty bad. It hangs out off the bike pretty far. Def designed with wireless in mind.
- The headset is complete garbage. The bearings are the typical chiner one. The seals fall off if you touch them. It takes quit of bit of torque to remove all the play out of the headset.
- Replaced with ACB 4545 4252 SS - 1-1/2 inch stainless steel Angular Contact Headset Bearing (42mm x 52mm x 7mm; 45 x 45deg)
- I will upgrade the headset top cup at some point. Not many options out there yet.

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
thanks for your feedback all. I change recently my stem 35mm length to 45mm and my bar 35mm rise to 45mm.
I'm feel better now but I found always it is a different front feeling than my turbo levo.
for exemple on a jump if I don't pull on my bar my front go down and when I take the same jump, same speed with my turbo levo I don't need to pull on my bar

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
No
I discuss yesterday with a mecanic suspension repair shop in my town and he think to go back on full 29" it is a better solution. He think I change to lot the geometry with mullet wheels
That's clear.

I prefer also the mullet. But only if i can keep reasonable geometry, no way for less than 63.5° for fork angles. On the CEF50 for exemple i can't use longer shock to compensate lower rear wheel and i stay in 29°.

Check with digital level your fork angle, if less than 63.5 mount 29 rear first. If more try with stem 35 and 45 bar rise.

You know, I'm developing +- 1 year all my bikes, before i find it perfect and i don't needs to do any more modifications on it. And that is that is good 🤪

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
That's clear.

I prefer also the mullet. But only if i can keep reasonable geometry, no way for less than 63.5° for fork angles. On the CEF50 for exemple i can't use longer shock to compensate lower rear wheel and i stay in 29°.

Check with digital level your fork angle, if less than 63.5 mount 29 rear first. If more try with stem 35 and 45 bar rise.

You know, I'm developing +- 1 year all my bikes, before i find it perfect and i don't needs to do any more modifications on it. And that is that is good 🤪
when I use Bike-Stat I have 63.7°

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
thanks for your feedback all. I change recently my stem 35mm length to 45mm and my bar 35mm rise to 45mm.
I'm feel better now but I found always it is a different front feeling than my turbo levo.
for exemple on a jump if I don't pull on my bar my front go down and when I take the same jump, same speed with my turbo levo I don't need to pull on my bar
Good rule of thumb is to start will stem that is equal to the fork offset. I run 50mm rise bars. Goal is to get the felling you are riding in the bike not on it

Taking a 29er chainstay and making it a mullet is counter intuitive.. this bike has a 450mm chain stay which is great for people like me that are 6'4". Not so much for short riders unless you are a DH racer

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
Good rule of thumb is to start will stem that is equal to the fork offset. I run 50mm rise bars. Goal is to get the felling you are riding in the bike not on it

Taking a 29er chainstay and making it a mullet is counter intuitive.. this bike has a 450mm chain stay which is great for people like me that are 6'4". Not so much for short riders unless you are a DH racer
I'm 6'1". in fact at start of my project I would like to have same sensation like my Kona Process X DL on mullet but on this bike the geometry is switchable. I hope I have a more playfull front after changing my wheel and my fork

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
I'm 6'1". in fact at start of my project I would like to have same sensation like my Kona Process X DL on mullet but on this bike the geometry is switchable. I hope I have a more playfull front after changing my wheel and my fork
You may want to play with your suspension settings as well. You are going to have more weight on the back shock with a mullet. So by playful front, I think you are meaning fast steering?

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
You may want to play with your suspension settings as well. You are going to have more weight on the back shock with a mullet. So by playful front, I think you are meaning fast steering?
I try to change the setup of my fork with any good result. I confirmed more front playfull with more pop. Like I mention my full power ebike turbo levo is more light and playfull like my LCE930

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
I know I read this somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm trying to write the speedlimit but it gives a prompt at the top.. can't change.. please set back.. doesn't write

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
I know I read this somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm trying to write the speedlimit but it gives a prompt at the top.. can't change.. please set back.. doesn't write
If you mean that in Besst tool you are trying to change the speedlimit over 25km/h, you can't. You can download an old version of besst from github and use that, there are no restrictions in the old versions. It will prompt you to update to new version, so don't do that if you want to keep old version.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
If you mean that in Besst tool you are trying to change the speedlimit over 25km/h, you can't. You can download an old version of besst from github and use that, there are no restrictions in the old versions. It will prompt you to update to new version, so don't do that if you want to keep old version.
That's what I figured. I saw someone do it with ver .20.. so gonna try that. I just don't want to ghetto rig the motor to my golf cart battery again. Still waiting on the battery

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
It's pretty much done. Been riding with no battery for a bit while I wait. 38lbs with no battery.

PXL_20240919_150349977.jpg PXL_20240828_210202224.MP.jpg PXL_20240828_210103416.jpg PXL_20240916_182856310.MP.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles