Lightcarbon LCE930 Custom Build - DV8

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I am using a 203mm rotor on the front and 180mm on the rear. I had the same problem with adapters on both of my bikes and ended up with the Shimano adapters after returning a couple that didn't work. I didn't have to shim at all on my LCE930 but I did have to shim a bit on my other bike and my wife's bike.
View attachment 145076
I am using Bucklos rotors on the front and rear. So far no issues with the rotors or brakes. I am about 3/4 through my first set of pads.
View attachment 145077
Oh I thought you had 220mm in the front 😁 I'm thinking of trying 220mm rotor on the front since I prefer really powerful front brake. It might make the front brake too powerful but it's not a high cost just to test it out :p on the rear I don't think there is a scenario where bigger than 180mm rotor would be needed with these brakes.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
@sandnap have you removed your cassette since you started riding the bike? I found these marks on the freewheel. I guess it's made of aluminium. I hope koozer makes stainless steel freewheel housings... 😬

IMG-20240817-WA0001.jpeg IMG-20240817-WA0003.jpeg

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
@sandnap have you removed your cassette since you started riding the bike? I found these marks on the freewheel. I guess it's made of aluminium. I hope koozer makes stainless steel freewheel housings... 😬
I haven't but perhaps I should, that doesn't look good. 😬

I wonder if the torque of the M560 is a bit too much for it.

Last edited:

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I haven't but perhaps I should, that doesn't look good. 😬

I wonder if the torque of the M560 is a bit too much for it.

Well could be but in my older bike I had barely any marks on my freewheel and I used it for over a year and other bike for 6 months before that. And those bikes had 10Nm more of torque. Now these marks have appeared in a month or two.

One of my friends told me that in the HG freewheel that I have they get these marks even if it's not an ebike if it's made out of aluminium and not stainless steel. He suggested that I should look if the hub manufacturer (Koozer?), in our case, makes them in stainless steel and replace it with that.

I'm just shocked how fast these marks appeared. I think both of old bikes had HG freewheel also but not sure if they were SS or aluminium..

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Well could be but in my older bike I had barely any marks on my freewheel and I used it for over a year and other bike for 6 months before that. And those bikes had 10Nm more of torque. Now these marks have appeared in a month or two.

One of my friends told me that in the HG freewheel that I have they get these marks even if it's not an ebike if it's made out of aluminium and not stainless steel. He suggested that I should look if the hub manufacturer (Koozer?), in our case, makes them in stainless steel and replace it with that.

I'm just shocked how fast these marks appeared. I think both of old bikes had HG freewheel also but not sure if they were SS or aluminium..
Same marks in mine.
1000004748.jpg

For now I plan to keep an eye on it. I suspect that the worst damage will occur in the first few hundred miles while the surfaces conform but time will tell. If you find an alternative let me know, I'll look into it too.

Update, looks like they make them 👍.

Update #2, I ordered one from aliexpress to have on hand. I think I'll keep the ALU one on for a while and see how it wears in the name of science.
1000004750.png

Last edited:

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Same marks in mine.
View attachment 145515
For now I plan to keep an eye on it. I suspect that the worst damage will occur in the first few hundred miles while the surfaces conform but time will tell. If you find an alternative let me know, I'll look into it too.

Update, looks like they make them 👍.

Update #2, I ordered one from aliexpress to have on hand. I think I'll keep the ALU one on for a while and see how it wears in the name of science.
View attachment 145516

Great news that they make them then! Could you provide the link to it? 😁

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
@sandnap they pulled these also.. I guess they had them wrongly listed and they were out of stock... Aparently they will get more in 2 months.

I just fear my cassette will dig itself into freehub body by then and I won't get them apart 😅

Let me know when you get yours!

I've also been having problems finding 2.0 thick brake rotors on aliexpress. Also finding 220mm rotors seems impossible. I don't understand why you can buy tens of rotors that are up to 203mm wide rotors and 1.9mm thick for $5 and up but if you try to find 2.0 thick or 220mm wide price jumps to $40 or so..

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I watched that this morning! I think it was for the most part a fair review but the knowledge in that comment (that we already knew) overcomes the parts support downside. Those parts are available pretty much everywhere. Hopefully they will test it with metal pads.
Yeah. Although I have a feeling they knew all that already. These brakes have been sold for few years already under different name. They just didn't want to publicly say stuff like that comment mentioned because they might fear missing future sponsor deals etc from hope/shimano and possibly from other brands if they see them advertising how good some of the China parts are.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Yeah. Although I have a feeling they knew all that already. These brakes have been sold for few years already under different name. They just didn't want to publicly say stuff like that comment mentioned because they might fear missing future sponsor deals etc from hope/shimano and possibly from other brands if they see them advertising how good some of the China parts are.
Makes sense. Owen wasn't expecting them to be good and could have focused on the negatives, I am glad he was honest about the finish and performance. I thought for sure he was going to dismiss them for the reasons you mentioned above.

I have a feeling this video is going to generate a lot of orders. I have been meaning to order a set for my other bike, I better get on it.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Makes sense. Owen wasn't expecting them to be good and could have focused on the negatives, I am glad he was honest about the finish and performance. I thought for sure he was going to dismiss them for the reasons you mentioned above.

I have a feeling this video is going to generate a lot of orders. I have been meaning to order a set for my other bike, I better get on it.
I tried to get my friend order a pair so I could switch my black ones to purple ones 😂
When I ordered mine I went with black because I wasn't 100% sure if I want gold (which can be found on the black pair) or purple accents on my bike and I chose black ones because they look great with everything but now that I have ditched the gold and got some purple on my bike the purple brakes would look insane on my bike!

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I tried to get my friend order a pair so I could switch my black ones to purple ones 😂
When I ordered mine I went with black because I wasn't 100% sure if I want gold (which can be found on the black pair) or purple accents on my bike and I chose black ones because they look great with everything but now that I have ditched the gold and got some purple on my bike the purple brakes would look insane on my bike!
Haha well you tried. I just ordered a red pair for my other ebike. I went with red accents on that one but the purple looks awesome, I kind of wish I went that way but it's too red at this point.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
These are good brakes but for the same price I can get Shimano XT on rczbikeshop, so I’m going with Shimano :)

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I installed my new Galfer Wave 2.0mm thick 223mm rotor. After it's dry outside I will go test and give some feedback. I'm wondering about the Bh59 to bh90 change though. If I do that do I need to do it to both ends of the hose or only lever end? 🤔

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I installed my new Galfer Wave 2.0mm thick 223mm rotor. After it's dry outside I will go test and give some feedback. I'm wondering about the Bh59 to bh90 change though. If I do that do I need to do it to both ends of the hose or only lever end? 🤔
Good question regarding the bh90. It Seems like you would need it on both ends otherwise you still have the bottleneck. 🤷‍♂️

I will wait patiently for your review on the thicker, taller rotors. Might be a winter upgrade for me if it goes well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles