Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I like it, does remind me of my Epic Evo but beefed up.
I don’t think it’s as pretty as the outgoing version but it’s still very nice. Looks the least E-bike of them all.
I really like my current SW SL. The noise doesn’t bother me but it would be a bonus if it’s quiet on this one. I very much doubt any motor will be backwards compatible.
I need to see one in person and then think if I want to get one.
Reviews can make bikes very tempting even though we know Specialized(and other manufacturers) will have fingers in many pies so it can be hard to get an honest review. Rob seems pretty honest though, I have to say.

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
I am surprised to see the Gen2 SL Comp spec'd with 170mm cranks. The Gen1 Levo SL utilized 165 mm cranks, as I recall. I wonder if this crank length is a function of the SL1.2 motor having increased torque and being spec'd to operate at a lower rpm? Also curious of the new Sram dub spindle will be compatible with my shorter (165) Praxis carbon cranks (DB30), as an upgrade to the stock Comp Sram Dub AL cranks. Assuming the same Q factor of the crank arms and that the clocking of the splines is the same, I am hopeful that the dub spindle diameter of 29.99 mm (vs 30.0 mm will be inconsequential) and allow cross compatibility.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I am surprised to see the Gen2 SL Comp spec'd with 170mm cranks. The Gen1 Levo SL utilized 165 mm cranks, as I recall. I wonder if this crank length is a function of the SL1.2 motor having increased torque and being spec'd to operate at a lower rpm? Also curious of the new Sram dub spindle will be compatible with my shorter (165) Praxis carbon cranks (DB30), as an upgrade to the stock Comp Sram Dub AL cranks. Assuming the same Q factor of the crank arms and that the clocking of the splines is the same, I am hopeful that the dub spindle diameter of 29.99 mm (vs 30.0 mm will be inconsequential) and allow cross compatibility.
My 2020 SL Expert came with 170mm cranks.

D

Deleted member 7401

This thread has been a wealth of information, some of it even accurate!

Thanks to those that have shared. Ultimately, it's very good for Spesh and builds excitement and the S-works is just lovely to look at.

Ps. I like pretty women very much, but I think it's a bit inappropriate to post photos of women in these threads just because there might also be women here for bike info. Also, wolves might be triggered by the sheep photos...

Lol. There can’t be a picture of a women because other women can’t look at a picture of a women?

• Haha
Reactions: Dax
Dec 14, 2022
Fremont, CA
This bike offers a lot, however that sta and cs length are a tragedy for anyone over 5'5" (assumes these geo numbers are correct)
Spesh seems to be going more conservative on their geo and targeting trail riding, and to be fair that's likely the core e-bike audience and makes sense.
Disappointed, as I was very excited about an ideal bike for my needs.
My wife however might very well be on one in the future. She's petite, slow in turns, doesn't climb great or very steep and is seated the entire time. So from my perspective, she's a good fit for the geo and other attributes of this bike.
i strongly feel that those posted numbers are incorrect.

with everyone saying that the geo will closely match the new stumpy evo ltd (mullet) and the gen 3 levo, those numbers are quite off. not to mention all the s6 numbers being wildly incorrect.

it makes much more sense for this bike to share the stumpjumper evo numbers, which are below. even the gen 3 levo has almost identical numbers to the stumpy.

this is excellent, as i feel the stumpy evo ltd geo is spot on:
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.35.22 PM.png

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Understood there isn't much to learn, but as someone new to emtb's and about to make my first purchase, I enjoy hearing how people parse the data we have and compare the options. At least it is something to do until the formal introduction.
I’ll wait for robs review. We won’t get anymore information than the geo charts, pictures, specs and someone going I’ve rode it. Robs review will let us hear it and see how it performs.

Reactions: Dax

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I don’t think it’s as pretty as the outgoing version but it’s still very nice. Looks the least E-bike of them all.
I really like my current SW SL. The noise doesn’t bother me but it would be a bonus if it’s quiet on this one. I very much doubt any motor will be backwards compatible.
Reviews can make bikes very tempting even though we know Specialized(and other manufacturers) will have fingers in many pies so it can be hard to get an honest review. Rob seems pretty honest though, I have to say.
Hopefully specialized don’t put a finger in robs pie

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Seems like whenever we get a fresh drop of these images, we get a long stall in the discussion. Zimmerframe, I appreciate your effort and humor but this does feel a bit counterproductive.

Understood there isn't much to learn, but as someone new to emtb's and about to make my first purchase, I enjoy hearing how people parse the data we have and compare the options. At least it is something to do until the formal introduction.

OK, you've said you're new to this ... but you didn't want all the Waffle from the Spesh site about the bike ? You didn't want all the S-Works Specs ? You didn't want the Comp Carbon Specs ?

There's only so much people can hypothesise without more information. Hence, I put up extra images, which were higher quality and different angles, for the fastidious and observent to find information and answers from.

Margot Robbie had already made an entrance into the thread earlier, so she was a continuation .. and for the sake of this thread, the new face of the Gen2 Levo SL ... I spoke with Margot about this and she said "She was thrilled to be involved, excited about the opportunity and what is it anyway ?"

It also highlighted the bike better and made the images far more interesting to look at with some additional background contrast. We've seen the basics of the bike and from there on, it's not really that exciting !

There's more information which hasn't been posted, but you still need some excitement in life waiting for the official release. We had agreed with the Mods not to post the Comp images, but eventually someone else found them because Spesh were too slow at fixing their leaks and they posted them on the pedelecs site. Others here clearly have more information and are being sensible with not saying everything they know.

You know about as much as you're going to know and we still have 6 days until the official launch. Everytime there's a Spesh launch and they end up being the leak ... we have the same thing .. then several days of boredom. At 32 pages, this is one of the most bonkers threads on the forum .. Personally, I don't see any reason why it should suddenly take on any resemblance of sanity now. If it's anything like normal, once the bikes released, there will be an "Official thread" .. this one will be locked and then vanish from sight and be forgotten about forever.

But don't let me posting stupid pictures stop you discussing .. discuss away ! For me personally, everytime there's a lull in the discussion, I get bored and feel the need to post a stupid picture.

I think it's a bit inappropriate to post photos of women in these threads

You do appreciate the Irony of this comment ?

It's inappropriate to post publicly available publicity pictures of a public figure in a thread showing images of a bike which should not be publicly visible yet ? 🙃

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

I think Rob’s videos are the best in terms of quality and information, but I doubt you will find any review with any negatives, they are all paid for by Spesh and no one is going to shit on their own doorstep.

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
i strongly feel that those posted numbers are incorrect.

with everyone saying that the geo will closely match the new stumpy evo ltd (mullet) and the gen 3 levo, those numbers are quite off. not to mention all the s6 numbers being wildly incorrect.

it makes much more sense for this bike to share the stumpjumper evo numbers, which are below. even the gen 3 levo has almost identical numbers to the stumpy.

this is excellent, as i feel the stumpy evo ltd geo is spot on:
View attachment 113058

The geo chart I posted earlier came from a sell sheet that I found on spech website.
So the source should be reliable but I agree that some numbers seem to be off.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I am personally waiting for the review of Rob of the Orbea rise 2023, which he has spoken of 4 months and 2 months ago, but still waiting on the riding review… to compare with the riding review of the new sl… all the spec’s are clear, but how does they handle in practice is what concerns me and i need to order before end May, for the leasing … so hopefully we will know the 2 reviews before end May🤞

D

Deleted member 7401

I think Rob’s videos are the best in terms of quality and information, but I doubt you will find any review with any negatives, they are all paid for by Spesh and no one is going to shit on their own doorstep.

Exactly. Once you grow to the point Rob has, you will never get a 100% honest review. They don’t want to lose their income from some, free product from others, and discount’s from a few. It’s amazing people still treat these reviews like they are the bible. They are nothing more than boredom entertainment to me and my opinion is not swayed until I am standing over a bike.

D

Deleted member 7401

The geo chart I posted earlier came from a sell sheet that I found on spech website.
So the source should be reliable but I agree that some numbers seem to be off.

Would not surprise me. There are an amazing amount of errors and inconsistencies in the technical spec area on the Specialized website. It really does blow my mind how the largest company with the most staff continually mess up something so basic. I think they need to take the Elon Musk approach, axe 80% of their staff, and start over with people who want to work and care about the quality of their work.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's inappropriate to post publicly available publicity pictures of a public figure in a thread showing images of a bike which should not be publicly visible yet ? 🙃
I don't care about either, but as a man I don't experience objectification (unfortunately).
I didn't invent the rules. It can be considered a form of sexual harassment if a like minded group is passing around suggestive material in a public space that others might feel objectifies them as a group and creates a hostile environment.
The other one is a f*cking bike. It doesn't have feelings and leaks absolutely helps sales. If emtb is owned by a media source such as Rob that has agreed to embargoes, well then Rob can't and shouldn't break the embargo. But the public can post whatever they find and there is no conflict.
To compare posting bike specs vs. suggestive photos is absurd.
Anyways, back to bikes.

Ps. I do generally enjoy your posts fyi.

Last edited:

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
I got news, it will be launched on the 4th of May not the 5th at least in France ! Dealers have a zoom call on Tuesday for final training on the bike !

I also read the bike radar article about the Levo SL II as they call it ! Pretty good article ;-)
BikeRadar article about the Turbo Levo SL II is now :

Oops – 404​

Sorry, it looks like you have found a page that no longer exists.​

Safest helmets

strange no? 😝

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles