I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Just a quick update here on the LSS. A few people had some issues with the clip ring that attaches the LSS to the rotor. I spent some time re-designing and prototyping it and have a new design that should both provide a more consistent clamping force (i.e., more tolerant of small dimension differences) as well as have a longer service life if taking it on and off frequently.

Here's the updated design:
Beta - Improved Clip Ring for LSS and LSS DT by JD_3D on Shapeways

When installing, please ensure the clips are fully engaged onto the rotor. After attaching the clip ring you may need to use your finger to engage each clip onto the back side of the rotor. To remove, simply pinch each clip to disengage them one-by-one.

Here's how it looks off the bike:

clip_ring0.jpg

Here's how it should look from the back when properly installed:

clip_ring1.jpg

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
Just ordered mine after and interesting read :love:
New turbo Levo comp owner. Turns out my work have reduced parking by over a half and I'm never gonna get a space after dropping the kids off.
TL Commuting here I come!
Do people recommend changing the chain ring up front to give a better ratio for the higher top end speed?
Riding to work this week only mostly road and bit of canal path. I'm just riding a heavy bike sitting over the limit!
Thanks, J

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hello jd_3d, can i use a 10mm x 2.5mm magnet? or does it have to be 3mm to be flush with the cog?

Hi @Mina08, a 2.5mm magnet may work, but I'm not sure. It does not have to be flush with the cog, but it does have to be powerful enough to trigger the speed sensor. If you use a high quality and very high strength neodymium magnet it may work ok.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Those clip on brackets don't look like they will last on very long.

I guess we'll see as I've been running it for around a week so far. If you are happy with the original clip ring then stick with that. The forces on the LSS are really small so the clips don't need to be that strong. I made them thin for flexibility, but once all 12 are engaged it holds on tight.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Is my LSS wearing out? My decoy (e8000 motor) has done an odd thing a few times recently. It cuts the power momentarily and beeps three times. No error code on display and power resumes after I stop pedalling for a moment. It's weird.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Is my LSS wearing out? My decoy (e8000 motor) has done an odd thing a few times recently. It cuts the power momentarily and beeps three times. No error code on display and power resumes after I stop pedalling for a moment. It's weird.

It's hard to say, I've heard of problems like that just due to electrical issues, etc, but it could be the LSS. If it keeps happening you could take off the LSS (or simply remove the planet gear but leave the rest on, and then put a magnet directly on the rotor). See if the problem goes away. You could also check to see if the planet gear is rotating freely and doesn't have a lot of play.

AgileMike

Sep 11, 2019
Idaho
Has anyone tested the LSS on the 2020 Turbo Levos? I just purchased a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp for my wife. I love the bike, but not a fan of the 20 mph restriction. Should I just buy the LSS and give it a try on the 2020?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Has anyone tested the LSS on the 2020 Turbo Levos? I just purchased a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp for my wife. I love the bike, but not a fan of the 20 mph restriction. Should I just buy the LSS and give it a try on the 2020?

Hi @AgileMike, you might be the first to try on the 2020. I've heard they are very similar to the 2019s, correct? As long as the brake rotor and rear hub are the same as the 2019s I think it should fit fine.

AgileMike

Sep 11, 2019
Idaho
OK, I'm going to try to get LBS to increase speed limit to 28 mph due to new directive from United States Dept of Interior, but if they won't increase it for me, I'll order this weekend and report back.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Would it be a bad idea to lubrícate the LSS with a teflon based lube?

Hi @Mina08. I've been running mine dry since I first designed it and haven't had any issues. However, we have a few people on here that have had success with a dry graphite lubricant. As for a teflon based lube, that could possibly work, you'd just need to make sure it is compatible with plastic (nylon in this case), otherwise it could cause dimensional stability or structural integrity issues. See here for more info:

Engineering Essentials: Lubrication Tips for Plastic Gears and More (Part 2)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Just curious where have you found the Aluminium version. Does it work well ?

Hi @MJ_Levo. You can get the beta Aluminum version of the planet gear here:

LSS Planetary Gear v2 by JD_3D on Shapeways

However, I got one recently and found for the magnet I was using the fit was too tight, so I had to sand the inside hole with some rolled up sandpaper for ~5 minutes before the magnet would fit. I think for better compatibility I will create one with a slightly enlarged hole so that no sanding is required.

I haven't yet had a chance to install it on the bike, but when I do I'll let you know how it performs.

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
I've given this some thought and since the small planet gear will wear out well before the other parts I think the best thing is to release the design file for the small planet gear. That way people with access to a 3d printer can print their own replacement planet gear if theirs wears out.

I've added a download option to the product here (look for the download product button to get the STL file):
LSS Planetary Gear v2 by JD_3D on Shapeways

Of course you can still purchase it on that same page if you don't have a 3d printer.

@JoeJoe, you are welcome to try and print this small part in PEEK material and you can send it to anyone who wants one :)

Do you make this for the Kenevo?

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
I am a little worried about the gap on the cover, dont want the planet wheel to fall out?
IMG_0674.JPG
2018 carbon comp levo size large with factory wheel

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I am a little worried about the gap on the cover, dont want the planet wheel to fall out?.
2018 carbon comp levo size large with factory wheel

Hi @Mina08, your brake rotor looks different than the stock one. Can you clarify if that is the rotor that came on your 2018, or did you change the rotor? Do you know what is preventing the cover from sitting flush on the LSS?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
OK, I'm going to try to get LBS to increase speed limit to 28 mph due to new directive from United States Dept of Interior, but if they won't increase it for me, I'll order this weekend and report back.
Your local shop has no way of increasing the speed of your bike to 28mph. The software we use won’t allow us to decrease the wheel circumference below 2000mm.
And most importantly even if we could, it would violate the Specialized Dealer Agreement and open us up to liability and litigation if someone was injured on the bike.
Unfortunately the lifted ban in National Parks won’t have much affect on whether or not Specialized releases an update to lift the speed restriction.
The ban has to be lifted on the county and state levels as well as federal before I see that happening.

Last edited:

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
Hi @Mina08, your brake rotor looks different than the stock one. Can you clarify if that is the rotor that came on your 2018, or did you change the rotor? Do you know what is preventing the cover from sitting flush on the LSS?
yes you are right the rotor is different, i will change it back to the sram rotor and check again

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
Really? Are you sure? Who says this?

Please read here:
BLEvo, the best thing for your Levo and Kenevo - EMTB Forums
No disrespect to you or the app, i use it and i think its better than MC, i just dont want to risk loosing my warranty, i have had 2 motors and 2 batteries plus other stuff replaced. I know of 3 people who have lost there warranty due to an app and cheat devices, specialized can detect if the software has been altered.

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
Cool product!

Perhaps this has been addressed on this thread already, but why not just charge an extra few cents and sell it with magnet already installed?

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
Cool product!

Perhaps this has been addressed on this thread already, but why not just charge an extra few cents and sell it with magnet already installed?
I think it's because you're buying it from Shapeways, they are a 3D printing place.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Cool product!

Yep, as @SmackIt said, these are 3d printed on-demand by Shapeways and sent directly by them to the customer. So no way to include / install a magnet. A lot of customers are in Europe and Shapeways has a headquarters there (as well as the USA) which makes shipping easier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles