• Finance deal

Votes: 32 17.4%

• Total voters

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
No discount off the bike, it was still list price, it’s just the way the Cycle to work scheme works. The more tax you pay the more discount you get

I appreciate that mate, but I thought the highest tax bracket was 45%? So not sure how you saved 60%...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Looking back when I got my E-Sentier in late 2018, back in the good old days of good pricing and discount deals, I paid £2699 in a CRC flash sale for the bike (full XT, DT SWISS, E8000 etc etc, crazy to think of that price compared to todays prices), then did 0% finance over 24 months, at basically 112 quid a month.

As my friends who work in the city like to say, moneys cheap at that kind of deal.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not currently. We do have a new HR Generalist (no, I have no fucking idea what a "generalist" is either...) so it may be worth asking her next time I'm looking for a bike. Excuse given was that we are not an independent company so something like that would have to be approved at group level.
You should suggest that she take the approach that the "group" should do it. It's about thinking bigger, helicopter view, levered buying power from larger volumes, employee benefits on the cheap etc. All the stuff that will get her noticed at group level. That's what's in it for her. What's in it for you is a new bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
From what I've read it's a more economical cross trained Gynaecologist who deals with men, ladies, weremen, werewomen, werewolves, pets, farm animals, asexuals, bsexuals, none specific alphabetical sexuals, numerical sexuals, any general lock or sliding bolt issues.
You are behind the times Zimmer! The BBC say that there are 100 genders now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You are behind the times Zimmer! The BBC say that there are 100 genders now.
I'm going to be buggered, or not, or maybe .. or fecked .. who knows if I ever go dating again ! :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm going to be buggered, or not, or maybe .. or fecked .. who knows if I ever go dating again ! :eek:
Is a normal heterosexual male that actually likes normal heterosexual females even on that index? I wonder which number I am? I can't be arsed to actually look! What do the extreme ends of the spectrum look like? Are they the ones that appear in the bars in Star Wars?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
This is probably one of the most interesting threads I've read and it's true, emtb's are getting more expensive (and availability can be lacking).
With the exception of one of my bikes, I've generally bought them out right without going down the finance route or credit card. The one bike which is the exception, I used PayPal credit and I was so uneased by the experience, I paid it off in a week.
I know that there are a few riders out there who will gladly say that the price of admission is steep and the last thing anyone should do is get themselves in to debt.
Yes, cycle to work scheme in the UK is an option for some (no vat) but I still don't like the idea of being locked into a contract.
It is worth mentioning that I'm the kind of person who paid off his uni loan quickly in an effort to not have anyone tell me, 'you owe me money!!'
Case and point,
1.bring emtb prices down
2. Increase availability
3. Increase minimum wage (everywhere)
4. Do it now!!! Not next year or the year after
?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think with your bike strapping failures and a few group ride falls you must be 69. From all the pictures I've seen you look the same either way up....

You could be 96 though I guess ...
69 is spot on! But that implies as I get older I will be progressing up the chart! (Towards what, I can't bear to look!)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I appreciate that mate, but I thought the highest tax bracket was 45%? So not sure how you saved 60%...

Actually you’re correct, I forgot to add in the final settlement figure that you pay after four years! You made me check my contract with Cycle Scheme haha

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
(Towards what, I can't bear to look!)
??????

bear.jpeg

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Actually you’re correct, I forgot to add in the final settlement figure that you pay after four years! You made me check my contract with Cycle Scheme haha

?

I was going to ask you what scheme you’re on as it sounds brilliant lol ?

least you know your settlement figure now though ha ha

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This is probably one of the most interesting threads I've read and it's true, emtb's are getting more expensive (and availability can be lacking).
With the exception of one of my bikes, I've generally bought them out right without going down the finance route or credit card. The one bike which is the exception, I used PayPal credit and I was so uneased by the experience, I paid it off in a week.
I know that there are a few riders out there who will gladly say that the price of admission is steep and the last thing anyone should do is get themselves in to debt.
Yes, cycle to work scheme in the UK is an option for some (no vat) but I still don't like the idea of being locked into a contract.
It is worth mentioning that I'm the kind of person who paid off his uni loan quickly in an effort to not have anyone tell me, 'you owe me money!!'
Case and point,
1.bring emtb prices down
2. Increase availability
3. Increase minimum wage (everywhere)
4. Do it now!!! Not next year or the year after
?

I prefer not to look at the total cost of the bike such as £5k+, but how much are you prepared to pay per month for fun & excitement. Many people for instance go to the pub every weekend (back in the olden pre Covid days) and will easily spend £30-50 per night. Go for a few meals & late night clubbing too and the cost of having an active social life soon adds up. Others may follow Premier League football teams around the country, spending a fortune on travel, food, hotels, season tickets etc

If you compare the cost of an EMTB to the above examples then its all relative and actually ends up cheaper in many cases, in my opinion of course

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
1 will happen only when 2 happens.
3 will happen eventually.
For timing see 3 above.
I'll say this Steve_sordy, I feel sorry for nee comers who are looking to buy emtbs and/or mtbs. I have a friend whose default method for looking for bikes is the second hand market. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that but as we all know, if problems occur, you can't just rock up to any dealer and expect a no hassle fix/repair.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I don't have a *credit* card and here in Oz the tax is slightly higher for eBikes than regular stuff (yes, I think it's stupid too but we also pay luxury car tax on electric cars instead of promoting them because our PM is a coal loving fucktard.). Even my Matercard and Visa are *debit* cards and the funds come directly from my bank account. It took me nearly 30 years to get out of debt and I want to stay that way. I realise I'm one of the lucky ones in that regard.

I know some people need to use credit or a loan and that's fine if you really use the bike and it's insured. You weigh up the benefits versus the payments. Riding any type of bike is good for the body and the mind. I know a lot of roadies who drop this kind of money and even golfers! When we could travel a three week holiday could cost as much as a mid range bike. People put those on cards all the time.

The real question is whether it's worth the cost, including the extras, interest and running costs? You invest in a bike and the repayments are smiles, a bit of fitness, playing in the mud and the odd broken rib. For me the answer is a resounding yes. I'd sacrifice lots of other things to buy a bike if I had to. (Does anyone know if you have to feed ALL of your kids or just a portion of them?)

Gordon

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I prefer not to look at the total cost of the bike such as £5k+, but how much are you prepared to pay per month for fun & excitement. Many people for instance go to the pub every weekend (back in the olden pre Covid days) and will easily spend £30-50 per night. Go for a few meals & late night clubbing too and the cost of having an active social life soon adds up. Others may follow Premier League football teams around the country, spending a fortune on travel, food, hotels, season tickets etc

If you compare the cost of an EMTB to the above examples then its all relative and actually ends up cheaper in many cases, in my opinion of course

Couldn't agree more, it's all personal preference and each to their own.

Makes me laugh when someone who smokes says my interest and hobbies are expensive. But they are doing £300+ a month on fags ?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK

You make a good point Tubby G and I agree with you. However, take it from someone who remains the only rider in his neck of the woods with a full sus trail bike (let alone a couple of emtbs and an enduro bike), the harsh reality of modern day living, expenses, family matters, bills and other responsibilities are enough to detour alot of new comers to the sport. Just the other day, I was speaking with an old acquaintance who discovered my YouTube channel and was of the belief that he couldn't ride some of the trails I ride on his hardtail (Giant Talon if I'm not mistaken). As a result, I'm trying to create a vid specifically concentrating on what you can do on a hardtail. Whether I use my Levo HT or something remains the question but the last thing I want is for anyone to think that they have to spend big to get better enjoyment out on the trail. #cheapaschips?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Now I'm wondering - is an emtb an electronic device and covered under my visa extended warranty program?

Paid on visa, cleared the visa the next day.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
You make a good point Tubby G and I agree with you. However, take it from someone who remains the only rider in his neck of the woods with a full sus trail bike (let alone a couple of emtbs and an enduro bike), the harsh reality of modern day living, expenses, family matters, bills and other responsibilities are enough to detour alot of new comers to the sport. Just the other day, I was speaking with an old acquaintance who discovered my YouTube channel and was of the belief that he couldn't ride some of the trails I ride on his hardtail (Giant Talon if I'm not mistaken). As a result, I'm trying to create a vid specifically concentrating on what you can do on a hardtail. Whether I use my Levo HT or something remains the question but the last thing I want is for anyone to think that they have to spend big to get better enjoyment out on the trail. #cheapaschips?

Agree too. Back in the early nineties (showing my age now) most MTB’s didn’t even have front suspension less alone full suspension but I still had as much fun on my £50 2nd hand bike as I am now

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just the other day, I was speaking with an old acquaintance who discovered my YouTube channel and was of the belief that he couldn't ride some of the trails I ride on his hardtail (Giant Talon if I'm not mistaken). As a result, I'm trying to create a vid specifically concentrating on what you can do on a hardtail. Whether I use my Levo HT or something remains the question but the last thing I want is for anyone to think that they have to spend big to get better enjoyment out on the trail.
I think it's fair to say ? You can ride any trail on a hard tail that you can ride on an FS bike ? The differences are that the same rider can ride them faster on an FS bike and with considerably less fatigue - both physically and mentally.

Though I might be in a minority with that view point.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I think it's fair to say ? You can ride any trail on a hard tail that you can ride on an FS bike ? The differences are that the same rider can ride them faster on an FS bike and with considerably less fatigue - both physically and mentally.

Though I might be in a minority with that view point.
Your not a minority with that view Zimmerframe. I started my riding on a hardtail and remain thankful that I learned the fundamentals before going full sus (gave me a better appreciation for rear wheel traction). Nevertheless, it is worth mentioning that emtb's are still in their infancy stage so hopefully accessibility will be a key topic all brands focus on.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hardtails are just a different flavour of riding, with normal MTB's my favourite bikes are actually hardtails, and for most local riding the most fun.

I would say you need the skills to pay the bills though to ride one aggressively down any enduroish type terrain.

Main problem with EMTB hardtails is the geometry is more commuter than committed, my E-Sentier is about as aggressive an EMTB hardtails as you can get and the geo is still way off what I would ideally want.

also full suspension EMTBS do a great job of hiding the weight, whereas with a hardtail EMTB you really notice the extra weight IMO, my hardtail is prob 2kg lighter than my FS but feels heavier to ride, though due to the short reach its much easier to wheel/manual for all of the couple of meters I can manage to do! You also feel like you have taken a proper beating after 2 hours riding hard on it.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I've actually never payed for anything at all on credit or loan my entire life.

So you've never bought a house?

I mean, some people don't. But I'm finding it hard to reconcile the perpetual lining of a landlord's pocket against the self-determined character that we know here to be Gary. ;)

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I personally would not buy anything in finance deal and reason for that is if i can not afford, I can simply save until I can afford.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to choose finace deal , but it's very easy to continue until you end up in a situation where you can not pay off everything.

Edit: okey i have my house on finance deal but that is a different storie , dont think nobody can cash upp like million in cash directly

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles