Dengfu E22 Frame Thread

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
A few more bits and pieces on the bike.

Rear shock is in. In the end i used the offset bush's which allows me to run the 230/65 shock without any problems.

With standard concentric bushings, there is just about 10mm clearance between the shock yoke, and the forward edge of the seat tube. (As seen with the blue allen key as a feeler guage)

Each offset bushs adjusts by about 2mm. Adding the 2 offset bushings increases the effective length of the shock by about 4mm to a total of 234mm.

With the offset bushings installed, the gap between the shock yoke and the seat stay closes down to about 5-6mm. Which is ample clearance.
The 230/65 shock, with offset bushs, bottom outs out at almost the exact same posistion as a standard 230/60 shock with standard bushings. Well technically, 1mm deeper into its stroke. Which is no problem, and does not cause the seat stays to foul the seat tube at full bottom out.
The only problem I can see with this setup is the potential for the offset bushings to rotate over time, which would them throw everything out of whack and potentially cause fouling on bottom out.

I got the steerer tube cut down, and fitted up the stem, bars, grips, brakes and controls. Mounted up the front brake to the fork. And put the throttle on the right side above the shifters. My thinking was that way I can't simultaneously shift and give it gas at the same time. It was tight and I wasn't super happy with the alignment of everything.

I stupidly tried to adjust the GX eagle shifter blade position, and didn't realise its not actually adjustable, and when I undid the central screw, the entire shifter mechanism fell apart, with springs and what's its going flying in every direction. It took me a good few hours to reassemble the shifter mechanism. What a night mare. I am used to the X01 on my other bike which has an adjustable trigger posistion.
View attachment 90081 View attachment 90082 View attachment 90083
I have the Bomber 230 x60 what mounting harware are you using ..?? Nice ride

Cigales

May 19, 2022
France
That is what I paid for mine. Cheap is only relative to what the "big" boys charge.....Just to check that is for the 2170 cell/40A BMS?
Yep, 21700 cell with 40A BMS. He specified it was a BMS 40A constant with 90A peak.
Yeah I can imagine it's much cheaper. I was supprised, I was expecting a more. The only downside is the BMS doesn't offer any communication, he said there wasn't enough place. I wonder if the BMS does not have any communication port at all or just doesn't have the extra communication board like some BMS have which would indeed take little more space.
Thanks for the referral(y)

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
That is what I paid for mine. Cheap is only relative to what the "big" boys charge.....Just to check that is for the 2170 cell/40A BMS?
Completed my build this past weekend (need a smaller chainring). This thread was very helpful and insightful. May be selling the Turbo Levo after this. Such a beast of a bike.

View attachment 89685
that looks great, now I'm wondering if I really do wan the matt black one or whether glossy is the way to go :)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Yep, 21700 cell with 40A BMS. He specified it was a BMS 40A constant with 90A peak.
Yeah I can imagine it's much cheaper. I was supprised, I was expecting a more. The only downside is the BMS doesn't offer any communication, he said there wasn't enough place. I wonder if the BMS does not have any communication port at all or just doesn't have the extra communication board like some BMS have which would indeed take little more space.
Thanks for the referral(y)

I inquired the same regarding the BMS and got the same answer from Herbert. The casing size restriction is not my favorite part of the E22 architecture in regards to that and also being able to fit more ah's. However it has been proven by others that shrink wrapped batteries up to 21ah's can be fit in the down tube and I would assume that a Bluetooth BMS could be fit as well.

It is less important to me to be able to configure the BMS, as long as the LVC is set correctly, than to be able to configure the motor settings themself via UART vs. CANBUS and as long as that option is available anyone that is considering an M620 system should go with UART as long as they are available even if more costly at least until someone figures out how to crack CANBUS to do what it already does?

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Hello @Mabman
I've got a quote for the battery from Herbert but the price seems kinda cheap. I'm happy as it's a good price, but I thought I would check with you. What do you think?

• 52V 15Ah with 2A charger: USD235
    • Air shipping: USD 115
    • Train shipping: USD 59
  • 52V 15Ah with 3A charger: USD 244
    • Air shipping: USD 125
    • Train shipping: USD 68
That seems insanely cheap.

Maybe somebody can help me here....

I spent more than £500 on the 52v battery for my BBSHD (it’s clearly over engineered, using welded copper interconnects over more conventional nickel strips). Getting this built was mainly born from paranoia, having read about people buying crappy batteries and needing to ‘trust’ that the sourced cells were decent etc.

Where my head is at currently is that I’m looking to get an empty battery case from Dengfu and have the same UK firm build a battery for my E22, at a cost of about £600. I’m seriously questioning that now...

I’m interested to know where people have got their E22 batteries from, whether anybody has bought batteries direct from Dengfu (or through Carbon Cycles or whatever) or any other recommendations.

@Neeko DeVinchi asking as a fellow Brit, would you mind telling me where you're sourcing your batteries and sharing any thoughts you have on them?

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Ha! yes. I mean I have 200% faith in what I bought previously, Jimmy and Cem are seriously switched on (as well as being super helpful and personable). A pleasure to deal with and can't fault them at all, would recommend to anybody...just interested in other peoples thoughts and experience really.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
put it this way every one try's to skimp on the batts as most expensive part of a diy bike and it allways goes the same way it will work for a bit then stop charging you pull the balance cable from the bms to find hole cell groups dead at 0v

just dont plug the bloody balance cable back in or can go fkn kaboom.

if you want a decent pro made batt get jimmy to make it and cough up or you will just end up with a bomb for 200 quid and dead in less than 12 months and havee to get another one anyway.

just jimmy wont touch bosch batts because of can bus locking so forced to buy rip of batts from bosch 🤬
You've convinced me - I'm sticking with what I know (and trust) :)

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK

I’m interested to know where people have got their E22 batteries from, whether anybody has bought batteries direct from Dengfu (or through Carbon Cycles or whatever) or any other recommendations.

@Neeko DeVinchi asking as a fellow Brit, would you mind telling me where you're sourcing your batteries and sharing any thoughts you have on them?

The original 840wh battery was supplied through Carbon Cycle. The 52v battery, I got from GBK.
Green Bike Kits do sell(build) both the 48v and 52v batteries for the Dengfu E22/E10/E23 👍🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
put it this way every one try's to skimp on the batts as most expensive part of a diy bike and it allways goes the same way it will work for a bit then stop charging you pull the balance cable from the bms to find hole cell groups dead at 0v

just dont plug the bloody balance cable back in or can go fkn kaboom.

if you want a decent pro made batt get jimmy to make it and cough up or you will just end up with a bomb for 200 quid and dead in less than 12 months and havee to get another one anyway.

just jimmy wont touch bosch batts because of can bus locking so forced to buy rip of batts from bosch 🤬
@shockwave does have a good point 🤝🏿
From my own experience, I'll gladly say that not all batteries (which use the same battery case) are built equally.

@Mabman also has mentioned this within the thread.

Chrisnow

Mar 2, 2022
Poland
Just joined happily E22 club. Previouslu used M620 UART with seroxat frame. Just need to cut my stem tube accordingly
IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
The original 840wh battery was supplied through Carbon Cycle. The 52v battery, I got from GBK.
Green Bike Kits do sell(build) both the 48v and 52v batteries for the Dengfu E22/E10/E23 👍🏿
Cheers Neeko, pretty sure I'm going back to Jimmy for my battery build now.

That said, Dengfu are asking $70 for the empty battery case (no cells, no BMS). That seem steep, can anybody confirm that this is the right case?

They're also asking $40 dollars for the battery mounting, I assume I'll need that?

Just ordered the UART motor kit - the journey begins :)

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
My Battery is coming from victory tech ltd. Thru Alibaba, chili shen is the trader im dealing with. She claims to have them in stock and shipped in 20 days . The are the stock 48v 17ah with samsung cells. Wich Dengfu uses . I know your wanting a 52v but these are plug and play and i would assume reliable I have not recieved mine yet 16 days since order but did recieve shipling notice 7 days after order . Im in the US.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Cheers Neeko, pretty sure I'm going back to Jimmy for my battery build now.

That said, Dengfu are asking $70 for the empty battery case (no cells, no BMS). That seem steep, can anybody confirm that this is the right case?

They're also asking $40 dollars for the battery mounting, I assume I'll need that?

Just ordered the UART motor kit - the journey begins :)
$70 😮 for just the battery case!?
Damn!!!!!
Please tell me that's p&p included.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
My Battery is coming from victory tech ltd. Thru Alibaba, chili shen is the trader im dealing with. She claims to have them in stock and shipped in 20 days . The are the stock 48v 17ah with samsung cells. Wich Dengfu uses . I know your wanting a 52v but these are plug and play and i would assume reliable I have not recieved mine yet 16 days since order but did recieve shipling notice 7 days after order . Im in the US.
I'm pleased to hear that another US rider has been able to source the Dengfu components.
Please kindly keep us posted @CaptainBobt of any developments 👍🏿

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
$70 😮 for just the battery case!?
Damn!!!!!
Please tell me that's p&p included.

Yep, $70 for just the empty case, plus $40 for the battery mount...and no, that does not include shipping, hence why I'm looking on AliExpress :)

Two questions:

1. Does the case I linked above look right to you?
  2. Battery mounting, any ideas what this refers to? The battery terminal connectors and/or something that mechanically holds the battery in place?

If anybody could share pictures of the battery and how it mounts into the frame, that'd be appreciated. I'm ordering the frame in the morning, so want to make sure I've got what I need from Dengfu covered.

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Yep, $70 for just the empty case, plus $40 for the battery mount...and no, that does not include shipping, hence why I'm looking on AliExpress :)

Two questions:

2. Battery mounting, any ideas what this refers to? The battery terminal connectors and/or something that mechanically holds the battery in place?

If anybody could share pictures of the battery and how it mounts into the frame, that'd be appreciated. I'm ordering the frame in the morning, so want to make sure I've got what I need from Dengfu covered.
Apologies for the delay.

Yes, the battery case is accurate for the E22.

20220219_135408.jpg

20220210_120212.jpg

Unfortunately, I have to refer to old images of my E22 as the bike is currently with my suspension chap as he is unearthing the leverage ratio curve based on a 2.5:1

Anywho, the above images hopefully will illustrate the battery mounts for the E22.

In theory, the frame (if purchased on its own) should come with the mounting hardware and bracket for the battery (as well as the battery hatch.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia

Two questions:

The battery mounting hardware is basically 2 pieces of aluminium that connect to the frame.

One piece goes at the lower end of the opening in the frame, and it has the electrical contacts that correspond to the battery case, it then has wires/plugs coming out that connect to the motor.

The other piece goes at the upper end of the opening in the frame. It has the latch mechanism that secures the battery case in place. It has a key/lock mechanism that lines up with the round hole on the side of the downtube, so that you can unlatch the battery.

There is also the cover that covers the battery opening in the frame. This is made of carbon, and has a metal sliding latch mechanism at one end to secure it to the frame.

Last edited:

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia

Two questions:

Also. Make sure you order the shock mounting hardware. The metal spacers that adapt the standard 1/2" x 1/2" eye on the shock to the frame and linkage yoke.

My frame didn't come with these parts, and I had to order elsewhere. Pain in the arse.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
The battery mounting hardware is basically 2 pieces of aluminium that connect to the frame.

One piece goes at the lower end of the opening in the frame, and it has the electrical contacts that correspond to the battery case, it then has wires/plugs coming out that connect to the motor.

The other piece goes at the upper end of the opening in the frame. It has the latch mechanism that secures the battery case in place. It has a key/lock mechanism that lines up with the round hole on the side of the downtube, so that you can unlatch the battery.

There is also the cover that covers the battery opening in the frame. This is made of carbon, and has a metal sliding latch mechanism at one end to secure it to the frame.
Thanks Bram, appreciated.

BonBond

Jun 19, 2022
Sussex
Also. Make sure you order the shock mounting hardware. The metal spacers that adapt the standard 1/2" x 1/2" eye on the shock to the frame and linkage yoke.

My frame didn't come with these parts, and I had to order elsewhere. Pain in the arse.

Cheers, that's the bushings right?

This is the breakdown of parts I'm in discussion with Dengfu on (their words, have been assured that where they've quoted E10, its compatible with the E22 ):

1* E22 in UD matt finish: $799

1* headset for E22: $14

1* Rear thru axle for E10: $10

1* Bushings for E10: $8

1* Battery case for E22 (no BMS, no cells): $70

1* Battery bracket for E22: $40

Anything obviously missing there?

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Well it's all up and running. About to go for a shake down run after lunch.

First test in the driveway I was wheelstanding on the first crank. Luckily I forgot the magnet on the spoke, and it cut out with speed error. Otherwise it could have thrown me lol.

Need to set up the suspension a bit. And possibly bleed the front brakes. They feel too spongy.

20220626_121334.jpg

20220626_121602.jpg

20220626_121555.jpg

20220626_121403.jpg

20220626_121349.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles