Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
View attachment 38828
A little pissed off this morning to find France is the only country that has had this stock in. Checked all the other European countries and none have had them.

So was all that stock that I was told about the last two weeks just kept for France ?
The b4stards !! They got all of them .... well, ONE ... ONE bike ... Which is probably a return or one they forgot about .. I keep checking and it's the same 0,0,0,0 as everywhere else. As we've said before, they don't sell as many here as the UK. The price in Europe puts a lot of other bikes with the 625 battery within reach.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
I wonder who makes this one, I'm thinking maybe same manufacturer, if so it's more expensive and maybe more profit in switching production to these instead of stilus.... Sorry sir no stilus available but we could possibly sell you a similar speked bike for £600 more ?

View attachment 38842 View attachment 38842

Screenshot_20200825-213807.png

Screenshot_20200825_143120_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Rob,
Total build cost around £5k, now a dream build!

Thanks for inspiring Stilus upgrade Rob, a salivating watch! Would appreciate your comments again re crank removal. After unscrewing the 8mm bolt your crank easily detached. Tried mine and it is stuck fast after the 8mm bolt unscrewed. Puzzled?? any thoughts?

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
After months of chasing the Unicorn, I gave up last week and ordered a Cube 140 Race 500 2020 model from Leisure Wheels with a 15% Keyworker discount. It's about 30 miles from me, so if there are problems I can take it back easily.

It's being preped now for collection this afternoon. I hope I don't have the same issues as you?

Cant see who they define as a key worker. I am a teacher so I hope that's me :) They are also one of my lbs.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Are you kidding me... Is any other countries selling this as well?
Just 1 decathlon web site at the moment.......but nobody else has stilus in stock either...who know what decathlon is thinking......demand is high due to pricing does that mean somebody at marketing got his sums wrong.......how would you increase profits on a high demand item without looking like your profiteering ?????

Hebegebe

Aug 25, 2020
East Manchester
Spoke to the guys at the Stockport branch today, showed me the zero stock levels on his laptop and explained that they usually get alerted to stock arriving at the main warehouse at least a month in advance.

I also asked him how long he thought they would limit the number of daily bike sales, he reckoned it would be at least the end of this year.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Just seems like good business sense to me. It’s in everybody’s interests that Decathlon are still trading and profitable in ten years‘ time. Change the name, change the colour, change a few of the components - hopefully not for the worse - and make the price more realistic.

If the Stilus was a bit meh it would have sold some due to the price point and would have slowly drifted away on the tide, but it’s become apparent to everyone that they’ve hit on a winning formula with the geometry and price. Pulling that product line and leveraging the success of the geometry just seems the most logical thing to do for the business.

I bet not many more of those frames are going to be sprayed blue.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Anyone familliar with new product development in retail will be aware that lead times from conception to delivery are in months & years, even with an e-bike using a boiler plate frame in a normal world. There's still the matter of sourcing components, assembling the product, testing and regulatory hurdles to be overcome, miles before you can put it up on your website & start taking orders.

All that before the world descends into chaos & everyone still alive gets the bright idea of bowling about on two wheels. Pound to a penny Decathlon have simply been overtaken by unforeseen events, combined with accidentally coming up with a half decent bike & are scrambling to catch up with demand. It's a pity the discussion isn't more around riding the bike than getting one, undertandable though it is.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Anyone familliar with new product development in retail will be aware that lead times from conception to delivery are in months & years, even with an e-bike using a boiler plate frame in a normal world. There's still the matter of sourcing components, assembling the product, testing and regulatory hurdles to be overcome, miles before you can put it up on your website & start taking orders.

All that before the world descends into chaos & everyone still alive gets the bright idea of bowling about on two wheels. Pound to a penny Decathlon have simply been overtaken by unforeseen events, combined with accidentally coming up with a half decent bike & are scrambling to catch up with demand. It's a pity the discussion isn't more around riding the bike than getting one, undertandable though it is.

Hi Rusty, good point, so from your experience, at what point in the timeline of 2020 did they pull the trigger on the white SAVOYE currently on the Swiss website? Was it a parallel development to the Stilus, or a spin off?

Presumably Decathlon will have very strong links with component manufacturers and would be treated as a priority customer by them? What do we read into the Savoye being CH only at the moment? Numbers issues?

I've looked back again through all of this thread to try and understand how the timeline of the Stilus review, supply and demand developed. In mid May I'd suggest it would have been hard to separate over-demand for this model from over-demand for bikes in general. It looks like the Stilus might have been a stopgap model anyway, before the Rockrider version came to market. Maybe the RRP was set so they would neither lose to much or make too much. They've reset the bar with a more sustainable price for the Savoye.

There's nothing like restricting supply to build up interest, discussion and demand, it seems to be Rolex's entire strategy. My prediction would be the Stilus isn't pulled but supply stays low, Decathlon supercede their own creation with something more sustainable, voila le Savoye.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
No idea, I don't work for Decathlon, I'm merely pointing out the typical processes in bringing products to market. Speculation is just that - speculation. Without a company insider giving chapter & verse, none of us know what the overall strategy is but I would point out companies survive by selling stuff so restricting supply deliberately to stimulate demand in non prestige markets doesn't really add up. This s a relatively cheap e-bike, not a diamond encrusted Patek Phillipe.

Hebegebe

Aug 25, 2020
East Manchester
To be fair, Decathlon aren’t the only manufacturer to run out of stock. I sold my old e-bike a month ago and have struggled to get hold of a new bike. Other manufacturers 2021 models seem to be dropping earlier than expected, so hopefully the whole e-bike world will start moving forward again.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting Decathlon have restricted supply of this model to drive up demand.

I'm not an expert in product development, so I'm guessing, but I'd say the Stilus team got a well-deserved pat on the back followed by "make a better one, with bigger margins, and make it quickly". Target numbers doubled. New colour, new branding, new components. It has to feel better. Any of the component people here able to comment on the components used in the Stilus vs the Savoye?

What is the price difference, £400? Half is additional margin so what do you do with £200 for components, in bulk, at B2B rates?

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Cool. The world and its wife are trying to buy bikes r n & it's definitely frustrating for people but I don't believe there's much more to it than that.

Last edited:

Hebegebe

Aug 25, 2020
East Manchester
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting Decathlon have restricted supply of this model to drive up demand.

I'm not an expert in product development, so I'm guessing, but I'd say the Stilus team got a well-deserved pat on the back followed by "make a better one, with bigger margins, and make it quickly". Target numbers doubled. New colour, new branding, new components. It has to feel better. Any of the component people here able to comment on the components used in the Stilus vs the Savoye?

What is the price difference, £400? Half is additional margin so what do you do with £200 for components, in bulk, at B2B rates?

The Savoye seems to have Judy fork, which I presume is only 120mm travel.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
The Savoye seems to have Judy fork, which I presume is only 120mm travel.

I'm not strong on components so that's very interesting. They're not selling the component list at all. The frame is slightly different in the top tube/seat tube area although that might be down to different size frames being photographed?

TBH if they have downgraded the components and down rated the charger I think the Savoye will drift away on the tide.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK

I think you're reading too much into it. It's a different bike, different frame, possibly different factory altogether.

You wouldn't go into a normal bike shop and 'Aha! you're not stocking the £3000 bike because it's better value and you make more money off the £4000 one!' :ROFLMAO:

Maz

Aug 24, 2020
Baldock
Cant see who they define as a key worker. I am a teacher so I hope that's me :) They are also one of my lbs.

It's basically anyone....This is what their website says;

'In recognition of the work you are all doing either treating the sick or keeping essential businesses running, shelves stocked and supplies rolling, we'd like to offer any "key worker" a discount of 15% off any full price current (2020) model year bikes.'

I'm sure a teacher would be included. To be fair they asked for no evidence when I collected today. And they allowed me 15% discount on all the accessories I purchased today.

I've just been out on

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
Hi Rusty, good point, so from your experience, at what point in the timeline of 2020 did they pull the trigger on the white SAVOYE currently on the Swiss website? Was it a parallel development to the Stilus, or a spin off?

Presumably Decathlon will have very strong links with component manufacturers and would be treated as a priority customer by them? What do we read into the Savoye being CH only at the moment? Numbers issues?

I've looked back again through all of this thread to try and understand how the timeline of the Stilus review, supply and demand developed. In mid May I'd suggest it would have been hard to separate over-demand for this model from over-demand for bikes in general. It looks like the Stilus might have been a stopgap model anyway, before the Rockrider version came to market. Maybe the RRP was set so they would neither lose to much or make too much. They've reset the bar with a more sustainable price for the Savoye.

There's nothing like restricting supply to build up interest, discussion and demand, it seems to be Rolex's entire strategy. My prediction would be the Stilus isn't pulled but supply stays low, Decathlon supercede their own creation with something more sustainable, voila le Savoye.

I noticed that the frame on the Savoye isn't as aggressive then the Stilus.

To be honest in regards to the theory on the Stilus and future decathlon developed model, I think maybe they aren't making much on the Stilus but they might be just seeing how much of a market there is for them before pumping a lot of money into a eBike at this price point.

But I'm guessing like us all that this may have proof worthwhile...

Like all of our ideas they are just theories...

Maz

Aug 24, 2020
Baldock
In the Short time I've had my Cube I used 1 Bar to do 15 Miles and I'm 85kg

That being said it won't be used for awhile now as it's going back for Warranty Issues after being delivered on Friday :mad:

I did 15 miles on mine today, 95Kg and only one bar disappeared in the last mile or so.

Maz

Aug 24, 2020
Baldock
Finally given up and bought a Cube 140 also. Good luck all those still waiting.

If you want to ride an eMTB before Autumn, I believe it's the only way forward. I paid £275 more for my Race than a Stilus, carbon frame, better tyres, I like the way the cables enter the frame as opposed to what the Stilus has and I'm supporting a small LBS.

I really wanted to buy a Stilus, but it wasn't to be.

Good luck to everyone hunting the magic unicorns!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles