Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob, sorry to hijack the thread could I ask you a question about your Stilus, you have put Hope ebike cranks on which I’ve purchased today however Bosch recommendation is 40nm on bolts but Hope 50nm, may I ask what you did? Thanks
Hi mate. I went with 50nm, didn’t realise Bosch say 40. Go 45nm they you’re safe ?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I came here on the back of your 'I've bought the cheapest full suss emtb' video, Rob. ?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Yeah i just about went for it last night. Just the sizing was holding me back and the £1000 over budget

Really nice looking bike and the 625w battery is a decent chunk of money (£750-850 new looking online), so it’s not a bad deal by any means. Even though it’s £1,000 more than the Stilus, you could look at it that a Stilus and a 625w battery is looking to set you back £3,500.

And imagine riding around on the Cube when everyone has their blue Stilus, you’ll really stand out from the crowd ?!

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
Really nice looking bike and the 625w battery is a decent chunk of money (£750-850 new looking online), so it’s not a bad deal by any means. Even though it’s £1,000 more than the Stilus, you could look at it that a Stilus and a 625w battery is looking to set you back £3,500.

And imagine riding around on the Cube when everyone has their blue Stilus, you’ll really stand out from the crowd ?!

That was partly my rationale... I could have gone for a 500w Cube and saved £300 though

Mcfanner

Aug 2, 2020
Scottish Borders

Yeah kinda wish i went for it now, its was in stock until yesterday morning ?

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
Ergon sme.... But to be fair it has still taken me a couple of weeks to get comfortable on it... Think I must have a delicate tush, wife was comfortable immediately on her ergon saddle ????

...and I plumped for the SDG Bel Air. Same story, took a few rides to get comfy. Make sure to wear propper cycling undershorts to reduce chafing.

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hey Stiggy,

I spent “forever” trying to work out what size frame to get. Luckily I had “forever” time available as that’s how long it took to get one ;-)

I’m not sure your Crank to top of seat tube 450mm measurement is correct/comparable to the spec charts you read.

I couldn’t find your specific bike but found this “vintage” Trek specs doc (love the word vintage! You have a classic ?):

It shows the liquid 20, liquid 30 and the liquid 55 as having a 400m seatpost length which is exactly what the medium Stilus is.

Sounds like the your mate upgraded the stock 40mm stem to 140mm which is a big difference, but of course you can make that cheap upgrade to the stem yourself to give you extra room in the Stilus cockpit, although I wouldn’t personally ride with a stem that long due to the handling.

My advice would be your leg length is important here and your existing bike seat post and the Stilus medium seatpost are 400m, so I would suggest you go medium.

You can always get a longer stem (checkout my Stilus review on here in the reviews section, I posted a link and photos for a cheap replacement stem).

A guy on here was 5’9” on a medium and he felt like that was the max height you would want on a frame and that was with the stock 50mm stem I believe.

The other reason I would go medium Stiggy, is from my experience and this thread, medium is the least in demand frame size, so use your size to your advantage and bag a medium ???
Hey thanks for this and putting all that effort in. Based on yours and Stilus Boy advice I’m gonna go medium. Well if there’s any to be had ! Also going to return the stem to 40mm on he liquid because it looks and feels weird!

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Ergon sme.... But to be fair it has still taken me a couple of weeks to get comfortable on it... Think I must have a delicate tush, wife was comfortable immediately on her ergon saddle ????

It's definitely an acquired taste. I still think "I'm not sure I like this saddle", not that its uncomfortable, rather its not super comfy.

Saying that, when I ride my acoustic with my old "favourite" saddle it now doesn't seem that comfy!

I reckon Ergon have by stealth changed my arse shape to prefer their saddle ? ? ?

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
getting impatient and saw this...
I ride mainly trail, Cross country some road (to get there), value comfort and range. Would this be a better choice for me than the stilus?

I went for this in the end and I think we're probably gonna be pretty similar in terms of what we want out of a bike.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
getting impatient and saw this...
I ride mainly trail, Cross country some road (to get there), value comfort and range. Would this be a better choice for me than the stilus?

I’d probably suggest the 140 over the 120 as whilst you don’t need the extra suspension travel for XC, you’ll find once you get out on the eMTB you will potentially start to do more adventurous trails where the extra travel will come in handy.

Given you have a motor to offset any additional weight of bigger forks, you will find the larger suspension more plush and ‘fun’. Remember the heavier EMTB will have more impact to soak up.

I only rode XC and had 100mm of travel, yet jumping to 150mm on the Stilus I would never look back ?

GunplaMad

Aug 1, 2020
Glasgow
Apologies to everyone on this thread patiently waiting for the Stylus to come back in stock, I will be too and no more Cube chat ;)

I hope it comes into stock soon and I bag one. I've spent a lot of time getting money sorted for this bike.

I decided to drop the Scottish Government Grant and sign up to Cycle to Work even if I only save £365 compared to England tax system but a saving is a saving... (Scottish Tax System is different to England.)

But I'll be on wits end checking the site over this week if it does come into stock.

??? Hopefully I can use some of my luck of the Irish

Last edited:

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I hope it comes into stock soon and I bag one. I've spent a lot of time getting money sorted for this bike.

I decided to drop the Scottish Government Grant and sign up to Cycle to Work even if I only save £365 compared to England tax system but a saving is a saving... (Scottish Tax System is different to England.)

But I'll be on wits end checking the site over this week if it does come into stock.

??? Hopefully I can use some of my luck of the Irish
Like the T shirt says ??.

Screenshot_20200625_124716_com.android.chrome.jpg

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Hiya really loving my Stlius been riding it for a while now. Only thing I have changed is the saddle.
Question I have is that my wrists hurt after say 10 miles can anyone suggest what I need to change to make it more comfortable?
Thanks in advance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles