commencal 2021

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Can't imagine wanting to step down to a 504wh battery. Part of the joy of emtb is not worrying about the weight.
Only reason I would consider it was because someone was selling one I posted above brand new for $500. Can’t find any of the 630wh batteries for sale in the US at the moment, but I’m guessing they will be around double that price.

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
We’re you able to swap dropper posts without having to drop the motor? I had some issues with that on my Decoy.
Yes, no problems - outer cable goes back and forth easily. I didn't need to remove old outer out of the frame though.

Last edited:

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
What a beauty ? looking forward to hearing/seeing more! how long was shipping?

Went for a shakedown ride today. First impressions:

Motor:
Was able to get around 18.5 miles with just over 4000 ft elevation, was in Boost all the time (last few hundred feet were in Eco as it was about auto shutoff). I expected a bit more, will try Trail mode next time.
As for the noise: it's super quite going uphill, even at high cadence. Going down over rough stuff motor clunk is definitely there, but I'm usually too focused on staying alive to have it bother me :D What's more annoying is cable rattle, which you can hear at lower speeds and over relative smooth terrain, I hope this is something I can chase down and fix.

Overall:
Bike is super fun! Comparing to my regular ride - Commencal Meta TR 29 (150/130mm) it's definitely more planted and forgiving in rough terrain and at higher speeds. Extra 20 lbs is not really noticeable, except when trying to hop over things or coming off drops at a low speed - need to really pull to get front wheel unloaded. 50mm stem does not help either, so that's next thing to upgrade.

Super happy so far, but this is my first eBike, so don't have anything else to compare to. Maybe more experience riders can chime in soon. @rb did you get yours yet?

IMG_2041.jpg

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
You're UK based yeah? Awesome news tho ... I'm still waiting ?
Yes, I'm in the UK, I had a text from DHL about 4pm with tracking and delivery day then an order shipped email form Commencal at about 6pm. Hope you get your confirmation soon!

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
@noblige
Thank you for your report (great strava ride name btw ?)
Mileage and elevation seem reasonable (compared to E8000). I think you can double them, if you stay in eco.

Do you have a ride video you can share?

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
@noblige
Thank you for your report (great strava ride name btw ?)
Mileage and elevation seem reasonable (compared to E8000). I think you can double them, if you stay in eco.

Do you have a ride video you can share?
Sorry, no video. But ECO is terrible, I tried it briefly (as it auto-switches to Eco when you get close to 0 remaining range) and I would rather ride my regular bike than e-bike in ECO mode. I'll try Trail mode when I have more time to ride.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
Sorry, no video. But ECO is terrible, I tried it briefly (as it auto-switches to Eco when you get close to 0 remaining range) and I would rather ride my regular bike than e-bike in ECO mode. I'll try Trail mode when I have more time to ride.
Have you checked the setting of the eco mode? With the E8000, you can customise every support mode in low-mid-high (end even more with custom software e.g. stunlocker). Eco low feels like you would pedal a light XC bike and high gives proper support. Boost high is like a private shuttle ?

Have you found the rattling cable?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa

Motor:
Was able to get around 18.5 miles with just over 4000 ft elevation, was in Boost all the time (last few hundred feet were in Eco as it was about auto shutoff). I expected a bit more, will try Trail mode next time.
As for the noise: it's super quite going uphill, even at high cadence. Going down over rough stuff motor clunk is definitely there, but I'm usually too focused on staying alive to have it bother me :D What's more annoying is cable rattle, which you can hear at lower speeds and over relative smooth terrain, I hope this is something I can chase down and fix.

Overall:
Bike is super fun! Comparing to my regular ride - Commencal Meta TR 29 (150/130mm) it's definitely more planted and forgiving in rough terrain and at higher speeds. Extra 20 lbs is not really noticeable, except when trying to hop over things or coming off drops at a low speed - need to really pull to get front wheel unloaded. 50mm stem does not help either, so that's next thing to upgrade.

Super happy so far, but this is my first eBike, so don't have anything else to compare to. Maybe more experience riders can chime in soon. @rb did you get yours yet?

View attachment 44589
That ride in boost seems decent mileage/elevation. My Decoy with e8000 motor and 540wh battery seems to run out in full boost mode around 3500. In full eco I can get around 6000’ elevation gain at a place like UC or Nisene.

Don’t have my bike yet. But I have nearly 1000 miles on my Decoy 29 so will be able to give a decent comparison between the two motors when I get it. Also cable rattle can always be fixed. Just depends how much time you want to spend working on your bike to try and resolve the issue. I’m the type of person that will probably have the battery and motor off my bike before it even hits the trails, just because I am curious how everything is routed.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Have you checked the setting of the eco mode? With the E8000, you can customise every support mode in low-mid-high (end even more with custom software e.g. stunlocker). Eco low feels like you would pedal a light XC bike and high gives proper support. Boost high is like a private shuttle ?

Have you found the rattling cable?
For me eco low is a bit slower than an xc bike. But it is still less effort for a similar ride.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bike looks great! Hope it brings you lots of awesome riding.

just double check that it is actually cable rattle, not motor rattle. The EP8 has a distinctive rattle even on flat ever so slightly bumpy terrain that sounds like cable rattle, but on the bikes that I tested was the EP8.

easiest way to check it is lift the rear wheel up about 6-8 inches off the floor and drop it onto the floor and you should be able to pinpoint where it’s coming from

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
@Rob Rides EMTB
Hey Rob, have you ever noticed any rattle from an E8000 motor (I haven't, but some people seem to have)?
Can you compare it to the EP8 rattle anytime soon?
For most people the rattle might not be a big deal, but for me it can be a reason to cancel my preorder and stick to E8000 bikes for the next few years.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB
Hey Rob, have you ever noticed any rattle from an E8000 motor (I haven't, but some people seem to have)?
Can you compare it to the EP8 rattle anytime soon?
For most people the rattle might not be a big deal, but for me it can be a reason to cancel my preorder and stick to E8000 bikes for the next few years.
To me it is like night and day difference. But I’d wait to get others feedback also. It’s not a deal breaker though. The EP8 has some very decent benefits over E8000.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US

Motor:

Overall:

View attachment 44589
Great feedback thanks. I burned through my previous 2019 meta power battery on a 4000ft 9 mile climb (100% uphill) in trail mode. I never used boost and rarely eco. I weigh about 195. As you note eco doesnt give you much. So 4600ft and 19 mi seems OK, but if that was a loop half of that was downhill as well. So not much better than my previous numbers, but in trail mode should be much better. Dont use boost all the time man, you'll give ebike riders a bad name:LOL:

Delivery update: was supposed to be delivered Friday. Then changed to Monday. Then Fedex website says "Shipment Exception!" And "No delivery date at this time" !! WTF? It says the bar code was unreadable so had to be replaced, and due to the Li Battery the box says "contains hazardous material" so they think its a nuclear friggin weapon and have to "inspect it". It's a flippin bicycle you morons!o_O:mad:
Stay tuned...

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
Bike looks great! Hope it brings you lots of awesome riding.

just double check that it is actually cable rattle, not motor rattle. The EP8 has a distinctive rattle even on flat ever so slightly bumpy terrain that sounds like cable rattle, but on the bikes that I tested was the EP8.

easiest way to check it is lift the rear wheel up about 6-8 inches off the floor and drop it onto the floor and you should be able to pinpoint where it’s coming from
Now that you said it, I'm not sure - it might be motor rattle. It does come from battery/motor area, although that's where all the cables are too :) Might have to take the battery out and inspect. Also curious what other owners say.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Fedex still an absolute cluster F*ck. Bike has been at the main delivery center since Friday. I keep getting "delivery updates" from Fedex and yet online it says "no delivery date". After multiple calls Fedex has been a fetal abortion. They have no clue where the bike is or why. Delivery updates are false, no one knows what the status is. Called Commencal to get on the case.

Other than that all is good! Cant wait to ride the beast.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles