Levo Gen 2 Chain cleaning, fastest procedure

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Seeing as this is a job that needs doing after every ride, current proceedures I'm using are taking too long.
As you can't back pedal the Levo it makes this job more tricky.
As mentioned in a previous thead you can back pedal with an allen key wedged in the chain ring but this turns the levo on and generates a motor error so back pedalling really is out of the question.
The park tool cyclone chain cleaner is designed for the bike to be pack pedalled.
Removal of chain and soaking in degreaser is time consuming, as is scrubbing the chain by hand while it is in the bike.

What is the quickest proceedure for this loathesome job that needs doing so often

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Once your chain was cleaned, the easiest way to keep the chain clean is to use wax instead of grease. You have to use it (nearly) before every ride, but your chain and cassette keep clean!
3653721C-DA89-42DF-A6A1-EFC2401889A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Seeing as this is a job that needs doing after every ride, current proceedures I'm using are taking too long.
As mentioned in a previous thead you can back pedal with an allen key wedged in the chain ring but this turns the levo on and generates a motor error so back pedalling really is out of the question.
The park tool cyclone chain cleaner is designed for the bike to be pack pedalled.
Removal of chain and soaking in degreaser is time consuming, as is scrubbing the chain by hand while it is in the bike.

What is the quickest proceedure for this loathesome job that needs doing so often

even worse for those with Gen 2 Bosch motors as there is not even a visible chainring to stick a piece of wood or Allen key into

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Anyone put a chain in the dishwasher as an experiment? I’ve put a variety of metal / mechanical objects in there and they all come out sparkling new

Ted

Apr 23, 2019
California
The latest Park Tool chain cleaner 5.3 allows the handle to be put on either side. That means you can turn the cranks forward and clean the chain properly on an E-bike. Just keep your hands out of the spinning wheel.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I run the chain through an old towel. Squeezing the rollers first, then the sideplates. It gets the chain fairly clean and dry. Then I lube the chain. That takes only a few minutes.

Before riding I run the chain through the towel again, a clean part this time. Every now and then (usually a few times in the Winter) it gets a proper clean with degreaser and the Parktool cleaner. I ride a lot in a sandy place and I still get high mileage out of my 11-speed chain.

And once a year, when my wife is out, I put the towel through the washing machine.

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I cleaned my chain last night using the normal "BBB Chain Cleaner". You can't "back pedal" because moving the pedals backwards does nothing for the chain. However, I just lifted the back of the bike up and held it in my bike stand, and I spin the back wheel in reverse with my hand and that spins the chain backwards (effectively doing a back pedal on an analogue bike). That works for me.

....or am I doing something wrong and I shouldn't be doing that?

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Reading with interest, I thought that popping an Allen key into the chainring and back pedalling the chain was the accepted way to do this ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use chain cleaner and a toothbrush followed by a wipe with a cloth. Then wet lube and wipe and finally dry lube.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Reading with interest, I thought that popping an Allen key into the chainring and back pedalling the chain was the accepted way to do this ?
Doesn't work well at all on the Levo 2020. It creates a knock then the bike turns itself on and then it generates a motor error.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Once your chain was cleaned, the easiest way to keep the chain clean is to use wax instead of grease. You have to use it (nearly) before every ride, but your chain and cassette keep clean!

Is that to replace the usual wet lube ?
Can you put it on at the end of every ride rather than at the start ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Can you apply wax to a chain that has been conventionally lubed? I read somewhere once it's needs to be fully clear of all previous lube but that might have been the dubious wax bath people have mentioned.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I just run it forward through the park tool cleaner and wiggle it about a bit. Does it matter that its going backwards?
judging by the black shite in the bowl afterwards, seems to be doing a good job.

I test my chain by twisting it with fingers. you can feel/hear grit before cleaning. Afterwards quiet and no grit :)

I probably do it weekly. Can't stand a dirty / gritty drivetrain.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020

I don't know that a motor error hurts the motor. Ask Spec. Personally I don't clean my chain that often, but I do like the Park chain cleaner. I use Simple Green with some water.

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I'm cleaning my chain with a cheap ultrasonic cleaner (35€). Just put the dirty chain in the ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and dish soap then forget it for 10 minutes. After that the chain is like new.

I will never go back to other cleaning methods.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Never use solvent cleaners myself, have learnt by many years of experience that doing so just washes all the lube out of the internals of the chain and you cant put it back, not with any lube. just hose it off to shift the grit, run it through a rag to dry then apply a good quality wax based lube such as white lightning Epic Ride, your chain will stay nice and clean and last ages.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never had any luck with wax chains in the wet season, it is just not robust enough. Great when it's dry though. But in the UK, you can never tell whether it's going to be dry or wet; it might be dry today, but it was wet yesterday! Eventually, I decided to use wet lube all year round. I get good chain life so it seems to be working for me.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Personally I don't clean my chain that often

I live in North West England and even right now despite it being the Peak of Summer the mud, rain and water is atrocious. The weather and mud is usually horrible by default all year round in north west England and a chain needs cleaning after every ride.

I've gone through a chain every month on the E Bike: Probably get 400 miles per chain. I've only been riding the E since the start of Summer as well!

Last edited:

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I have never had any luck with wax chains in the wet season, it is just not robust enough. Great when it's dry though. But in the UK, you can never tell whether it's going to be dry or wet; it might be dry today, but it was wet yesterday! Eventually, I decided to use wet lube all year round. I get good chain life so it seems to be working for me.

I've started using wet lube permenantly all year round now.
Even though there are a minority of rides where I could get away with dry lube, there's no way to predict when they will happen 90% of the time, as the bike is lubed at the end of every ride not at the start. (It has to be done at the end or it will usually go rusty)

Last edited:

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I'm cleaning my chain with a cheap ultrasonic cleaner (35€). Just put the dirty chain in the ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and dish soap then forget it for 10 minutes. After that the chain is like new.

I will never go back to other cleaning methods.
Sounds interesting - never heard of these before. Any ideas of any specifics that a cheap and get the job done ?

I know there's the time taken to take the chain on and off but from what I remember cleaning with the park tool wasn't exactly a quick process either to say the least.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
why dont you set up an outdoor wash station so that you can just put the bike up on it, and clean the chain using the park tool straight away.
Just a big hook etc on an outside wall might do it. I've often thought about a hinged wooden arm that comes out from the wall or something. That way the wheels are free to rotate and the cleaning is kept outside.

At the moment I do it in the garage on a work stand which makes a mess.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
White lightning Epic Ride is great all year round latest chain is 1500k and still ok

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Guys, you're making it unnecessarily difficult. I myself wipe the chains clean with an old bath towel piece and add good chain oil. Such as Dry Finishline or Muc-Off Dry. Shift gears up and down a few times. Then wait a moment and wipe off any excess oils

Has done so for 30 years and the current chains have lasted more than 1000 km

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles