Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
WD40 is Satan's juice.
Never let it near your bike!
calm down dear :ROFLMAO:
WD40 is a water displacing solvent spray. And as such it's actually very good for purging water out of chain links and removing rust from inside the rollers. just make sure you re-lube the chain afterwards.
It's also really good stuff to use (combined with a rag) to wipe down your frame, fork legs and rims adding a little shine while simultaniously drying the bike after washing
the brand "WD40" actually make spray on degreaser too ;)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
calm down dear :ROFLMAO:
WD40 is a water displacing solvent spray. And as such it's actually very good for purging water out of chain links. just make sure you re-lube the chain afterwards.
the brand "WD40" actually make spray on degreaser too ;)

I agree, it's also very good at diluting oils and greases.

I read somewhere that NASA wanted a product that would stop condensation forming on the outside of the Saturn 5 launcher while it was waiting to go. Apparently, the weight of the condensation was unacceptable because it would compromise launch. The original article no doubt said exactly how much extra fuel would be needed to launch the condensation into the air.
Numerous Water Dispersal products were tried before no 40 was successful. At the time, it was based upon pilchard oil. :)

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I unplug the battery connector, pop an allen key into a chain ring bolt, put Dawn dish soap and hot water in my Park chain cleaner, and back pedal till the chain is shiny. I do get the blue error light if I forget to unplug the battery connector, but a simple power cycle has always cleared it.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Easiest quickest way in my experience is this for the truly lazy, I have the sponge and spray and it works a treat

I've got that but I'm too lazy to do all that after every ride, and also there is the back pedal issue so not all that easy on a Turbo Levo

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
Doesn't work well at all on the Levo 2020. It creates a knock then the bike turns itself on and then it generates a motor error.
Just unplug the cover from the charger port and the motor won’t turn on.
Lift the back wheel (i.e. bike stand) and rotate it backwards and so will the chain.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Once on the bike stand you can drive it forwards. Then you don't have to unplug it and risk getting anything on the connectors and you don't bash the plug.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Once on the bike stand you can drive it forwards. Then you don't have to unplug it and risk getting anything on the connectors and you don't bash the plug.
This, I just sling the bike on the stand

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Guys, you're making it unnecessarily difficult. I myself wipe the chains clean with an old bath towel piece and add good chain oil. Such as Dry Finishline or Muc-Off Dry. Shift gears up and down a few times. Then wait a moment and wipe off any excess oils

Has done so for 30 years and the current chains have lasted more than 1000 km

Yep, easy peasy

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
What is a good test that the chain is clean enough ?

The method I have always used is, if you can touch it with your hand and your hand looks clean afterwards

Jasext

Mar 27, 2020
Swansea Valley
Spray wd40 on and leave for about 5 mins, then use paraffin with either a toothbrush or dedicated chain cleaner. Wipe with rag or old towel, re oil and its as good as new. I use this method with all my enduro bikes and big KTM's for many many years.
Don't be fooled with all these fancy expensive chain cleaners.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles