Bosch Flow App - News & Updates

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The app simply enabled and disabled them. It appears that some manufacturers choose to not install all of the available modes for whatever reason.
They went with the Bosch advised profiles for that type of bike they manufactured.

Auto mode is a profile for city bikes and commuters.

anyone asked a dealer for cargo mode? never know when you need to haul ass on your MTB :D

People who don't have auto and want it need to visit a dealer it's that simple
I thought eMTB was the auto mode
technically youre correct
Tour+ EMTB and Auto are all automatic modes that switch assistance levels depending on the circumstances.

Auto mode is designed to maintain speed, so it kicks in more when the bike starts losing speed due to wind, a climb etc.

• ideal for eCity, eTrekking, eUrban bikes and S-pedelecs

Last edited:

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
They went with the Bosch advised profiles for that type of bike they manufactured.

Auto mode is a profile for city bikes and commuters.

anyone asked a dealer for cargo mode? never know when you need to haul ass on your MTB :D

People who don't have auto and want it need to visit a dealer it's that simple
Except the reasoning as to why is important. When an update is pushed out through the app and additional options are made available to some and not others, at least for me, troubleshooting mode starts to verify that I'm getting updates correctly. Especially before bringing it in for service when the issue could be user solvable.

Not every response should be immediately go to a dealer. Forums exist for a reason ;)

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
but it was long established many pages back that not everyone had the extra profiles loaded into the drive by the manufacturer..
people are still coming out with "but I had them from the update"

it's just going around in circles for about 6 pages
It's a mode not expected to be used on EMTB anyway.

maybe not having AUTO mode is a sign that the manufacturer actually bothered to use the correct profiles for the bike and doesn't just do a one size fits all across their whole range of bikes.

if you really want to try it then yes, it sucks to have to visit a dealer, your probably having to pay 15 or whatever for the pleasure.
but its not a mode for EMTB anyway so no one is really missing out.

how many people are still using auto? did the novelty wear off yet?

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co
but it was long established many pages back that not everyone had the extra profiles loaded into the drive by the manufacturer..

maybe not having AUTO mode is a sign that the manufacturer isn't using the exact same motor settings across it's range of bikes and actually bothered to try and tailor the bike for it's specific purpose.

Not having AUTO might not be a bad thing
Yes because the reasoning is buried across multiple posts instead of in a concise way, hence why I ended my question with a concise answer to my initial question.

batmantis

Sep 7, 2023
Denver, co

maybe not having AUTO mode is a sign that the manufacturer isn't using the exact same motor settings across it's range of bikes and actually bothered to try and tailor the bike for it's specific purpose.

Not having AUTO might not be a bad thing
Yes because the reasoning is buried across multiple posts instead of in a concise way, hence why I ended my question with a concise answer to my initial question.
He who can read, is clearly in advantage. 😉
I'm glad you find this worth your time to comment about. 🤷‍♂️

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
New updates from Bosch:

App informed about update for FlowApp, new feature „expected battery charge by end of tour.
-> Flow App Release 1.22

Did the update App while Bosch website did not show new updates for the bike. It was said to connect bike to get new features. Did so and - surprise - bike received updates from 11.x to 12.x, e.g. Drive Unit 12.13.0.
-> Updates and software versions for on-board computers and drives

EDIT: Bosch must be reading here. They updated the website for updates on bike hardware as well. 😎

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Hi,
Bosch released today in Germany, not yet in english, update 1.23 for the flow app. A couple of new features one might need or not, best might be to be able to add Auto and Eco+ without having to go to the dealer for getting it installed in the first.

No updates on components, from what I see in the app - even there was a very quick update to the bike when connecting the phone with the bike.

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I can understand the bike lock being behind the paywall as it costs Bosch money to run the servers and stuff for tracking. Think it uses the phone network?

..BUT putting the rider stats and navigation features behind a paywall is ridiculous! These bikes cost a fortune and now there's a monthly fee to use the features??

Reminds me of BMW charging a monthly fee to use the heated seats!

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
If I ignore updates , will it eventually force an update while I'm not paying attention ? The current version does more than I need , happy to stay here.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I can understand the bike lock being behind the paywall as it costs Bosch money to run the servers and stuff for tracking. Think it uses the phone network?

..BUT putting the rider stats and navigation features behind a paywall is ridiculous! These bikes cost a fortune and now there's a monthly fee to use the features??

Reminds me of BMW charging a monthly fee to use the heated seats!
Agree.

Flow+ could add more features besides ride stat, because ultimatly, Bosch is using OUR data to work on their products...
I haven't activated Flow+, since I never bother with tracking, and all the alarm issues I can have (forget maintenance mode while at the bike shop/phone battery/etc...).

But if this new added features, becomes the norm and only accessible through flow+, I'll try (still have 1 year free), and then decide.

With EP801 update, Shimano has place their motor up to pare with Bosch. Also, having 400% assistance, this makes it similar to Bosch CX Race.
Besides this Shimano EP801 update, there are coming so many motors, that's only a question of time to Bosch realise it won't be the last Glass of water in the desert.

Bosch not dealing correctly with current owners, can ditact their near future.
(Ex: I didn't bought an ebike with Shimano, because EP801 wasn't there, when I decided to buy! Now?)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If this is toggled off, I can't see how.

Screenshot_20240827-110041.png

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
They can't force an update unless the motor breaks and needs to go back to dealer. I think the first thing they do then is update the firmware.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I could install Eco+ and Auto and all the modes on my Cube Hybrid Stereo 140 Action Team 2023 model without visiting a dealer anyway, so assume that's for other manufacturers who locked it down maybe.

I already pay for Flow+ because I have the alarm/tracker installed. Though I don't think it's worth it and the fact that I have to put it in travel mode everytime I go in the van anywhere, and it won't enable/disable travel mode unless it has an internet connection is garbage. 90% of the places I ride I have no mobile data connection.
The nav update sounds interesting but honestly I still feel like the nav just fights me all the time - it isn't happy if you start mid-way round, it tries to force me onto roads a lot of the time when my GPX is across a field path

Putting such trivial things like being able to see a bit more detail on nav behind a paywall is a bad sign of things to come, and I agree that other manufacturers have massively upped their game recently. I really hope Bosch realise that they need to get better (like even the controllers are chunky bricks still) rather than trying to grab more money.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I've cancelled my Flow+ for reasons emtbPhil mentions. Too irritating to be useful!
Also, if my bike does get nicked I don't think I fancy going around to whoevers nicked it and attempting to get it back. I can't see that going so well... I have 0% confidence the police would do anything even with a live tracker.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Just updated my bike, now to see what Eco+ is about

It turns the motor off much of the time and only provides assistance when you really need it. It sounds like an awful way to ride, so I won't be using it. And I probably won't be using those other features that everyone is whingeing about. But I do upgrades frequently, whether it's for my bike, my watch, or the radio in my car. I'm a big fan of improved functionality and reliability.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I've cancelled my Flow+ for reasons emtbPhil mentions. Too irritating to be useful!
Also, if my bike does get nicked I don't think I fancy going around to whoevers nicked it and attempting to get it back. I can't see that going so well... I have 0% confidence the police would do anything even with a live tracker.

Oh yeah I also forgot that to enable travel mode you have to turn the bike on. It automatically starts a ride in the app when it turns on (again the old bikes didn’t do that)

So then my rides in Flow are 100miles long as they start at my house before I drive to where I’m going 😂

Honestly I’ve not been impressed with the smart system at all compared to my old bike. Seems like a huge step backwards

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I'm completly unware of this things...but did I read correctly?

You need to turn it on, in travel mode, just to commute by car to the trail?

What happens if I remove the battery?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
The alarm is self-powered, and when you load the bike into a car/van it goes off every 30 seconds.
To prevent that you have to enable "travel mode" which means turn the bike on, enable travel mode in app, restart the bike, turn bike off

Then when you get to where you're going if you want to enable the alarm again (the whole reason I added it, so if I nip into a cafe for lunch it's alarmed) you have to have a working mobile internet connection or it refuses to enable it.

When you turn the bike on it just automatically starts a ride, so unless you manually reset it when you get out the car ready to ride (and I've still not even figured out how to do that) your ride in Flow will have started at your house, gone 70 odd miles, done the ride, then gone 70 odd miles home :ROFLMAO:

The kiox can also show your heart rate by linking to an apple watch, which is really handy but then your heart rate is not part of the ride data. So I use strava instead, but unless the flow app on your watch is the only running app you can't see your heart rate on the kiox.

Honestly it just feels entirely like good hardware with half-finished thrown together software to support it.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
It turns the motor off much of the time and only provides assistance when you really need it. It sounds like an awful way to ride, so I won't be using it. And I probably won't be using those other features that everyone is whingeing about. But I do upgrades frequently, whether it's for my bike, my watch, or the radio in my car. I'm a big fan of improved functionality and reliability.

Yep, Im not using it either, not that I use Eco much anyway

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Well, Bosch is a (traditional) german company and on ebike likely to much influenced by german car industry. As said above for BMW, german car makers are offering more and more items on time hire or charge for updates. Multimedia hardware gets outdated quickly, i.e. no more updates/support. What is ridiculous when seeing how e.g. Kia is handling it = frequent updates, sometime major modifications in layouts and user interface, so far these had been fine for me.
Would be sad to see Bosch also to push to service for money, esp when using riders data on routes, power consumption, bike use, maybe health data etc..
I could install Eco+ and Auto and all the modes on my Cube Hybrid Stereo 140 Action Team 2023 model without visiting a dealer anyway, so assume that's for other manufacturers who locked it down maybe.

I already pay for Flow+ because I have the alarm/tracker installed. Though I don't think it's worth it and the fact that I have to put it in travel mode everytime I go in the van anywhere, and it won't enable/disable travel mode unless it has an internet connection is garbage. 90% of the places I ride I have no mobile data connection.
The nav update sounds interesting but honestly I still feel like the nav just fights me all the time - it isn't happy if you start mid-way round, it tries to force me onto roads a lot of the time when my GPX is across a field path

Putting such trivial things like being able to see a bit more detail on nav behind a paywall is a bad sign of things to come, and I agree that other manufacturers have massively upped their game recently. I really hope Bosch realise that they need to get better (like even the controllers are chunky bricks still) rather than trying to grab more money.
The 2023 model will have had Auto ex factory or dealer. My 2022 did not have and I had to got to see the dealer. Eco+ came later.

So far I was happy with Bosch and updates, but latest updates had not been of that much interest to me. And so I may not be making use of coming updates.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
The alarm is self-powered, and when you load the bike into a car/van it goes off every 30 seconds.
To prevent that you have to enable "travel mode" which means turn the bike on, enable travel mode in app, restart the bike, turn bike off

Then when you get to where you're going if you want to enable the alarm again (the whole reason I added it, so if I nip into a cafe for lunch it's alarmed) you have to have a working mobile internet connection or it refuses to enable it.

When you turn the bike on it just automatically starts a ride, so unless you manually reset it when you get out the car ready to ride (and I've still not even figured out how to do that) your ride in Flow will have started at your house, gone 70 odd miles, done the ride, then gone 70 odd miles home :ROFLMAO:

The kiox can also show your heart rate by linking to an apple watch, which is really handy but then your heart rate is not part of the ride data. So I use strava instead, but unless the flow app on your watch is the only running app you can't see your heart rate on the kiox.

Honestly it just feels entirely like good hardware with half-finished thrown together software to support it.
Jzzzeeee....

And if you're on a location without coverage?
[It does exist, on the XXI!]

So... in resume:
1- Turn on the bike
2- Put it on "Travel Mode"
3- Remove Battery (or isn't possible?)
4- Upon arrival - insert Battery
5- Connect to Internet/remove from "Travel Mode"

QUESTIONS:
If mobile battery dies, does the bike stop if the alarm is set?
Is it possible to unable the alarm, without cancelling App Flow+ ?

PS: one thing I would gladly pay, and sign to take responsability, would be taking out the speed limit! It's usual to ride on private land, so no need to have this resctrition...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles