2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Just got my alloy Comp in XL, its the "Airflow" version with the open top motor which I have covered with a rubber flap for now. Also has a noticeable whiny noise under load (silent in ECO). Both issues I will go back to shop for them to sort out, but in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the riding, which is amazing. View attachment 7059 View attachment 7060
Apologies in advance for the "seat up" photo

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Just got my alloy Comp in XL, its the "Airflow" version with the open top motor which I have covered with a rubber flap for now. Also has a noticeable whiny noise under load (silent in ECO). Both issues I will go back to shop for them to sort out, but in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the riding, which is amazing. View attachment 7059 View attachment 7060
Nice job on the flap, davarello! That looks really cool and sort of professional. Good thinking, and I'm going to try to do the same thing on my 2018 levo comp so debris doesn't keep getting down in that area. Thanks for sharing the idea.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Nice job on the flap, davarello! That looks really cool and sort of professional. Good thinking, and I'm going to try to do the same thing on my 2018 levo comp so debris doesn't keep getting down in that area. Thanks for sharing the idea.
Its 1.5mm rubber, thick enough to stay in place, but still be flexible. I'll probably make a new one over the weekend with the zipties locking underneath, will help it shed better and only takes five minutes

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

Hi Davarello,

I have the exact same bike. I like your temporarily solution until Specialized releases the required service parts. In the weekend I will add it as well. (y)

May I ask you another question, you commented "Also has a noticeable whiny noise under load (silent in ECO)". Yesterday evening I have been driving some trails here in The Netherlands. I was together with some other non emtb riders. To prevent to high speed differences between me and the other riders I tuned the motor back to 15% assistance and 15% peak in ECO. When driving offroad uphill in low gearing and higher cadence also my motor started to whine a lot. Can you maybe try if you have the same issue. Of which I actually still don't know if it's an issue or if it's normal behaviour of the new Brose S Mag.

Others in my group who are not aware of any noise issues (because I didn't tell them) made comments about the sound as well. So I guess it's not only me who is focussed on the noise because I am aware this has been an issue with early 2019 Levo's. I will also try to record some videos as well in the weekend.

To close this post with a positive ending, the bike rides really nice. The possibilities to finetune all settings are virtually unlimited. I don't have any excuses anymore not to ride as you can adjust assistance exactly to the level of the rest of the group and your condition at that moment. This is certainly an advantage to the Bosch power EMTB's which are working with a preconfigured fixed assistance menu which you are not able to finetune.

If I would buy the bike again? I guess I would because I really like it. I only hope we can all count on Specialized to solve the early 2019 issues in an acceptable way.

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I can't see how the new plastic side cover will fit, that would suggest that there is an unused screw hole behind the current covers

I guess most likely you would need to change both sides. (left and right plastic motor housing cover) This will make it a labour intensive modification.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Davarello,

I have the exact same bike. I like your temporarily solution until Specialized releases the required service parts. In the weekend I will add it as well. (y)

May I ask you another question, you commented "Also has a noticeable whiny noise under load (silent in ECO)". Yesterday evening I have been driving some trails here in The Netherlands. I was together with some other non emtb riders. To prevent to high speed differences between me and the other riders I tuned the motor back to 15% assistance and 15% peak in ECO. When driving offroad uphill in low gearing and higher cadence also my motor started to whine a lot. Can you maybe try if you have the same issue. Of which I actually still don't know if it's an issue or if it's normal behaviour of the new Brose S Mag.

Others in my group who are not aware of any noise issues (because I didn't tell them) made comments about the sound as well. So I guess it's not only me who is focussed on the noise because I am aware this has been an issue with early 2019 Levo's. I will also try to record some videos as well in the weekend.

To close this post with a positive ending, the bike rides really nice. The possibilities to finetune all settings are virtually unlimited. I don't have any excuses anymore not to ride as you can adjust assistance exactly to the level of the rest of the group and your condition at that moment. This is certainly an advantage to the Bosch power EMTB's which are working with a preconfigured fixed assistance menu which you are not able to finetune.

If I would buy the bike again? I guess I would because I really like it. I only hope we can all count on Specialized to solve the early 2019 issues in an acceptable way.
Mine sounds like Rob's from his range test video. Riding on the flat and gentle slopes in Eco (30/30%) you can't hear the motor over the tyres, but in Trail (40/60) and Turbo (60/100) going uphill under load the whine starts. I do weigh 115kg, so it could be the motor simply straining, but Rob wouldn't weigh anything like that and his first motor made the same racket. I also keep the gears low and the cadence high as recommended by Specialized. My shop have taken the details and will look into a replacement, they have demo bikes which are all really quiet we can use for comparisons as well and they've even suggested we go on a group ride in the hills to see how loud it is if necessary.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Mine sounds like Rob's from his range test video. Riding on the flat and gentle slopes in Eco (30/30%) you can't hear the motor over the tyres, but in Trail (40/60) and Turbo (60/100) going uphill under load the whine starts. I do weigh 115kg, so it could be the motor simply straining, but Rob wouldn't weigh anything like that and his first motor made the same racket. I also keep the gears low and the cadence high as recommended by Specialized. My shop have taken the details and will look into a replacement, they have demo bikes which are all really quiet we can use for comparisons as well and they've even suggested we go on a group ride in the hills to see how loud it is if necessary.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I weigh about 100kg with all gear. I recieved the first 2019 Levo from my LBS so they haven't got any reference yet. They me that they were informed by Specialized that a mechanic would immediately hear the difference between a good and wrong motor already when riding on flat pavement. So this is exactly what they tested and it was ok. I also need to agree. However when I am driving trails, low gearing and higher cadence the whiney noise starts. I watched Rob's video as well and also another video after his motor was exchanged. Specialized Rider Care even referred to it but it's really hard to tell at least for me while, the 2nd video seems to have taken on a more flat piece in turbo mode where I already have the whining at 15% assistance. I will make some video's as well in different support modes and hopefully Rob can then comment that in comparison to his new updated motor.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks for your quick reply!

I weigh about 100kg with all gear. I recieved the first 2019 Levo from my LBS so they haven't got any reference yet. They me that they were informed by Specialized that a mechanic would immediately hear the difference between a good and wrong motor already when riding on flat pavement. So this is exactly what they tested and it was ok. I also need to agree. However when I am driving trails, low gearing and higher cadence the whiney noise starts. I watched Rob's video as well and also another video after his motor was exchanged. Specialized Rider Care even referred to it but it's really hard to tell at least for me while, the 2nd video seems to have taken on a more flat piece in turbo mode where I already have the whining at 15% assistance. I will make some video's as well in different support modes and hopefully Rob can then comment that in comparison to his new updated motor.
On the flat all of the modes are pretty quiet, it's definitely under load going uphill that it starts. I'm taking my bike back to the shop tomorrow, I'll get them to try it in the carpark with the back brake dragging a bit to simulate the load of climbing. we will also try it back to back with a demo bike. When i rode the demo a month ago on the same climbs it made some noise, but it was totally acceptable both in volume and pitch (and similar to the '18 Comp I demo'ed as well). A big selling point of the bike was how quiet it was, so I'm a bit disappointed but I'm confident the shop will work with Specialized to resolve it.

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
This is what i did on my expert (btw...is it a problem on all chassis or "only" comp / fsr?)

It's basically a mosquito net held in place with bi-adesive on the sides. It's ugly, it's unacceptable, but i prefer to be safe than sorry, and airflow is not compromised.

IMG_3668.JPG

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
My beauty Comp 2019 with Range Extender. I covered the "hole" with transparent adhesive, but will change this for not closing the air flow. I am waiting too for the motor replacement noise issue...
20181101_101216.jpg

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Well I picked up this bad boy last night from Berkshire Cycles. After speaking to Chris extensively about all the issues which are being discussed on this forum, he put my mind at ease completely and I pulled the trigger! The motor seems quiet but then Chris did tell me that I couldn't have any 2019 bike until it was sorted. So it doesn't surprise me that this is now quiet. He also said that any debris in the motor casing would be sorted and that he would, of course, do it all free of charge.

So far I have only changed the pedals, set the pressure and rebound in the fork, adjusted the dropper post and fitted mudguards. Oh and also tinkered with the settings in mission control app. All works beautifully. I will eventually change the tyres to Maxxis (when they come out with a 2.6 inch option) and change to tubeless.

Great guy and honest in my view. He only wants to do the right thing to keep you coming back.

Have ridden it up and down my street and man it flies! Cant wait to ride the bike on the trail this weekend. :)

IMG_2562.JPG

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well I picked up this bad boy last night from Berkshire Cycles. After speaking to Chris extensively about all the issues which are being discussed on this forum, he put my mind at ease completely and I pulled the trigger! The motor seems quiet but then Chris did tell me that I couldn't have any 2019 bike until it was sorted. So it doesn't surprise me that this is now quiet. He also said that any debris in the motor casing would be sorted and that he would, of course, do it all free of charge.

So far I have only changed the pedals, set the pressure and rebound in the fork, adjusted the dropper post and fitted mudguards. Oh and also tinkered with the settings in mission control app. All works beautifully. I will eventually change the tyres to Maxxis (when they come out with a 2.6 inch option) and change to tubeless.

Great guy and honest in my view. He only wants to do the right thing to keep you coming back.

Have ridden it up and down my street and man it flies! Cant wait to ride the bike on the trail this weekend. :)

View attachment 7082
Saw that colour in the flesh a couple of days ago. Looks very nice.

Chris will look after you fo sure ?

I've got the 2.5 Minion on the front and 2.4 on the back, runs well with that config,

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Saw that colour in the flesh a couple of days ago. Looks very nice.

Chris will look after you fo sure ?

I've got the 2.5 Minion on the front and 2.4 on the back, runs well with that config,

Indeed, it's a looker in my view and I have no doubt that Chris will look after me. Interesting that you have a wider tyre on the front rather than the back. Is that for a more planted focus on the trail?

Now I need to get out and ride more to make use of that 700wh battery! ;-) bet I will run out of steam before it does.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia

View attachment 7082
Beautiful bike. Enjoy it☺

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

View attachment 7082

Great looking bike! Enjoy it!

Can you maybe tell me which mud catchers you have installed? I would like to install them as well but at our LBS they were slightly worried that there would not be enough clearance with the ones they have standard on stock.

Thanks in advance!

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Great looking bike! Enjoy it!

Can you maybe tell me which mud catchers you have installed? I would like to install them as well but at our LBS they were slightly worried that there would not be enough clearance with the ones they have standard on stock.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Sure no problem.

On the front is a Muckynutz Fullface fender and on the back is an Enduroguard in size large. Both fit well with plenty of clearance.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi,

Sure no problem.

On the front is a Muckynutz Fullface fender and on the back is an Enduroguard in size large. Both fit well with plenty of clearance.

Thanks! Sorry, maybe a stupid question but does the size of the Enduroguard matter in relation to the size of the bike or is it just in relation to the wheel size? I have an XL frame.

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Thanks! Sorry, maybe a stupid question but does the size of the Enduroguard matter in relation to the size of the bike or is it just in relation to the wheel size? I have an XL frame.

Indeed it does. The size of the Enduroguard relates to how much travel your bike has, so you will need a large as the Levo has 150mm both front and back.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
This is the problem with forums
Thanks for the motor cover/ingress questions and apologies for the wait - took a week off.

Firstly, we know that this bike is going to get really wet & muddy (in fact we hope it does) and it is designed & warrantied with this in mind.

It's certainly getting muddy and wet :)

levo.jpg

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
All, I am sure somebody has already discussed this but do we know if Rockguardz are making a motor guard for the 2019 levo as yet?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the events of the last few months have shown how important buying from a good dealer is - Getting a bike from the likes of Berkshire Cycles or Freeborn means you can just go out and ride the bike and know they will sort out any issues and take the stress out of anything.

The #mechanicalanarchymotornoise and #thatsnoairhole issues are not anything that are going to stop you going out and thrashing and enjoying the bike, but they are things that you don't want to be worrying about at the back of your mind during a ride - great dealers will take this worry away, allowing you to concentrate on discovering the full potential of a great bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles