Yamaha is THE Leader by the millions!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
This speaks for itself, though out dated add another 5 years and the numbers only get bigger !!

IMG_6733.jpeg

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I find it kind of odd that the repair shops aren't bursting at the seams of motors needing repair with that many units out there compared to every single other brand. Excluding those who try to use there own programming on Yamaha motors. But that's not the case and Yamaha isn't closing their doors or going anywhere! Absolutely best bang for your buck currently out there I think. 😎

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Are you sure? There's no need to be so coy about your opinion of Yamaha motors.
It's not just their motors but the entire package. The specs on an YDX MORO 07 for $2500 is amazing really. Plus a five year warranty and an extra battery thrown in to boot ! What can I say, hell of a steal in my books.
Cheers 😎

IMG_6744.png

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I rented an emtb last week in the South of France, near Nimes. I had no choice of bike in the matter my son-in-law rented it for me. It was a Kellys bike with a Panasonic motor. I have no other info as to which motor it was. It wasn't short of power. It had four drive modes: Eco, Standard, Auto and High. All modes except Auto were either on or off which led to a pulsing delivery that I found disconcerting. When cornering tightly, the pulsing delivery led to rear wheel slide. I soon switched to Auto and I had no further problems.
Someone may recognise the bike in the pic below. It had 32mm stanchions on the fork and it was a mullet.
Vaunage 2.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I rented an emtb last week in the South of France, near Nimes. I had no choice of bike in the matter my son-in-law rented it for me. It was a Kellys bike with a Panasonic motor. I have no other info as to which motor it was. It wasn't short of power. It had four drive modes: Eco, Standard, Auto and High. All modes except Auto were either on or off which led to a pulsing delivery that I found disconcerting. When cornering tightly, the pulsing delivery led to rear wheel slide. I soon switched to Auto and I had no further problems.
Someone may recognise the bike in the pic below. It had 32mm stanchions on the fork and it was a mullet.
View attachment 148315
Kellys bikes. Pretty interesting bikes. They have a full powered 150mm bike with a shimano ep801 and a big battery thats around 20kg.
I think that one with the panasonic is quite inexpensive and pulls hard. Some other massive electric motor company like bosch or zef made that panasonic. It may even be zef

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
That’s rolling up on 26 years. And, about 99.9% of those are cheap motors for the global commuter market. They make motors for that sector for other companies. It’s amazing how the numbers can be easily skewed. If Yamaha was a player in the e-MTB bike market, they would have their own section here. I hate to burst your bubble, but in this sector, Yamaha has no game, compared to the rest of the market.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I think Yamaha e-bike motors were only part of Giant and Haibike back in 2019, Yamaha moro didn't exist (I think). I've only had one type of e-bikes with Syncdrive Pro motors (Yamaha) so I can't really compare but power delivery is very smooth, good at low cadence and motor is reliable. 👍 And the auto mode is crap. 😄

ValActionT 750

Jul 31, 2024
Escondido
With the number of Moros I am seeing on NBD posts online, I'd say they are outselling just about anything else by a factor of five.
I know it's because of the massive sales, but they are getting a LOT of these motors out there on the trails now.
It ain Yamaha’s 1st rodeo. How good are these? A Brit Nick Sanders rode one around the World. He rode the gravel Walbash RT. I just got one, the auto panel assist rocks!

ValActionT 750

Jul 31, 2024
Escondido
That’s rolling up on 26 years. And, about 99.9% of those are cheap motors for the global commuter market. They make motors for that sector for other companies. It’s amazing how the numbers can be easily skewed. If Yamaha was a player in the e-MTB bike market, they would have their own section here. I hate to burst your bubble, but in this sector, Yamaha has no game, compared to the rest of the market.
No one said they are. I have $8k emtb and an $1600 Yamaha gravel bike. No XT or Fox, yet It definitely holds it own for its intended use. China makes shitty cheap motors too. Oh the Chinese have landed on the Moon, recently. Breath.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I had a Giant/Liv, Yamaha motor, 2020. It was fine. Bike was under geared but ok.
Much much prefer power delivery in the Orbea

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Put 1300 miles on my Yamaha PW ST in the last year and to be honest I found it better than my old bosch cx gen4 .

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I will use that as a measuring stick. Number one: the parent company is restructuring and making a comeback. And, number two: as far as mountain bikes go, nukeproof has been around a long time, sold a shit ton of bikes and parts and they have a very strong following.

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
What is a bit strange is why the other Japanese moto companies are not making MTBs/EMTBs , Honda had a go 10 years ago but gave up, even when the Yamaha dual suspension BMX came out , Kawasaki and Suzuki came out with their own[I had the Suzuki:ROFLMAO:].
img192.jpg

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this picture was also taken around the same time showing Yamaha with 9% of the market.
Don't get me wrong, Yamaha are a good motor, but they are no better or worse than most of the other motors.

View attachment 148579
Actually no bubble to burst, Yamaha was only talking units made. 😎
BM , I agee industry has a long way to go yet in refining the ebike motor.
cheers

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA

Way I see it is that Yamaha pioneered the PAS type mid drive motor system starting 30yrs ago. Their target market was home based in Japan for use as individual transport, aka the Mamachiri type bike. This led to sales figures that over time has gotten into the millions and their eMTB systems are only a small part of the overall.

Hard to tell what the future of Yamaha in the eBike market place will bring especially after having to dump their existing inventory for a steep discount. I would imagine they will stay in the game but they really need to put pencil to paper and come up with a stand out system to keep up with the competition.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles